Can someone recommend a decent tasting low calorie protein shake please?

Options

Replies

• JessNelson_
    JessNelson_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Metabolic Nutrition - Peanut Butter Cookie.

135 calories per serving, low carbs, low sodium taste is AMAZING! It's a little pricey but very high quality protein and you can't beat the taste! Most protein powders are pretty high in sodium so this is one of my favorite aspects. It wont cause any real water retention or put you over your sodium requirements for the day!
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight, but also tone up. In general my diet is low in carbs, and the carbs i do eat are complex carbs. I have lost 13 lbs in the last 4 weeks, but i dont think i have got it quite right as i dont feel well some of the time. This is why i thought i should add in the protein shake. I go for walks in the morning with my little girl in the buggy, but other than that i have to wait until her dad gets back from work so he can look after her. I have tried walking before breakfast but felt very faint? is there a reason for this?

sorry im not an expert in this area by any means!
  • rawk_fairy_666
    Options
    thank you for all the recommendations and advice. i will have a look and see what is affordable.

Any advice in general is very much appreciated as i feel a bit out of my depth with all of this!
  • dalhectar
    dalhectar Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This month at Vitamin Shoppe BodyTech is Buy 1 Get a Second 50% off.
  • rizlah01
    rizlah01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    yes low blood sugar, have an energy drink (low sugar one) before your session
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight, but also tone up. In general my diet is low in carbs, and the carbs i do eat are complex carbs. I have lost 13 lbs in the last 4 weeks, but i dont think i have got it quite right as i dont feel well some of the time. This is why i thought i should add in the protein shake. I go for walks in the morning with my little girl in the buggy, but other than that i have to wait until her dad gets back from work so he can look after her. I have tried walking before breakfast but felt very faint? is there a reason for this?

Toning up happens when you lose fat. So just keep eating in a deficit and you'll look more toned.... You don't need to restrict carbs to do this.

You don't need to exercise on an empty stomach... Especially if you feel faint. That'd be a sign to me that I need to eat something!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    eas advantedge carb control shakes taste like yoohoo. i get them at walmart, they are pre mixed, come in a carton of 4.

She's in the UK folks.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You could try MyProtein. They also provide discount codes up to 30% for time to time.
    I liked their Chocolate Peanut Butter.

As rizlah01 mentioned, feeling faint and light headed could be due too low blood sugar levels.
  • JessNelson_
    JessNelson_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    rizlah01 wrote: »

Energy drinks are not a good choice. They can cause heart problems, water retention, plus many of them have so many ingredients that are not necessary. An apple or banana, something natural, with natural sugar to get your blood sugar levels up would be a more suitable option.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    Options
    prestigio wrote: »
    You could try MyProtein. They also provide discount codes up to 30% for time to time.
    I liked their Chocolate Peanut Butter.

As rizlah01 mentioned, feeling faint and light headed could be due too low blood sugar levels.

I think my OH is on their mailing list actually, i will ask and see if he has had any codes. He knows his stuff about gaining, but has never had to try to lose weight.
  • SarahLynne22
    SarahLynne22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like the Premier Protein shakes from Costco. They are already pre-mixed and taste really good.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    Options

Energy drinks are not a good choice. They can cause heart problems, water retention, plus many of them have so many ingredients that are not necessary. An apple or banana, something natural, with natural sugar to get your blood sugar levels up would be a more suitable option.

I try to stay away from caffeine, so thanks for this advice. I have one coffee in the morning to help with the baby induced sleep deprivation, but any more than that and i get all jittery.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options

If you're feeling weak pre, during or post workout you should be looking to not just your macros, but the amount of calories you're eating. You've lost 13lbs in 4 weeks and from you picture don't look like you have a ton to lose, so that's really aggressive weight loss. What kind of deficit do you have/how much are you looking to lose per week?

If you're going to walk in the morning but feel kind of off, the other poster is right, it's likely low blood sugar. I'd skip the energy drink and just eat something like fruit, drink a quick smoothie, etc.

For your original question, you don't have to go the protein powder route if you don't want to; another poster mentioned chocolate milk. Unless you're looking to really build nuscle, that's more than enough recovery for most workouts.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    Options
    baby has just woken up from her nap so i will come back to this later, thank you so much for all the advice!
  • KaneNLN
    KaneNLN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a protein shake, preferably chocolate flavour. I don't really like eating after a workout, but need something.

I don't want to waste money on something that tastes vile. Any recommendations for products available in the uk would be very much appreciated.

Myprotein whey isolate chocolate brownie flavour, 88 cal per 25gram scoop and 20 or so grams or protein, it's amazing
  • rawk_fairy_666
    Options

If you're feeling weak pre, during or post workout you should be looking to not just your macros, but the amount of calories you're eating. You've lost 13lbs in 4 weeks and from you picture don't look like you have a ton to lose, so that's really aggressive weight loss. What kind of deficit do you have/how much are you looking to lose per week?

If you're going to walk in the morning but feel kind of off, the other poster is right, it's likely low blood sugar. I'd skip the energy drink and just eat something like fruit, drink a quick smoothie, etc.

For your original question, you don't have to go the protein powder route if you don't want to; another poster mentioned chocolate milk. Unless you're looking to really build nuscle, that's more than enough recovery for most workouts.

just quickly, i am eating around 1200 cals a day, worked out by mfp to give me a 680 deficit. i havent been making up much of my exercise cals though as i struggle to eat post workout.

the first 4.5lbs dropped off in the first week, and since then it has been more steady. my diet before was very poor, so i think i was retaining a lot of water from the salt. I am not trying to lose it super quickly, as i dont want saggy skin, i have just been following the goals set on mfp. Thanks for this advice, its really helpful.. i do love chocolate milk!!
  • rawk_fairy_666
    Options
    oh and im currently 163, goal weight 126, height 5ft6. its all on my belly though!
  • rizlah01
    rizlah01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

all depends what her goals are, we are not here to criticise (and i am not saying you are) or to judge. if she i happy with the speed of her weight loss, i am sure she knows the risks, but if she is happy with it then the best thing for her would be an energy drink or a pre-workout formula to get over that low sugar feeling.....

I lost 30kg in about 6 months and then slowed it down and lost the last 10 in the next 6 months.... roughly speaking...... i was very aggressive to start, very strict diet, had to deal with low sugars during morning exercise, you name it.... its all about decisions, what do you want to do, hit it hard and lose it fast or lose it steady and healthily...... sometimes doing it the healthy way just doesn't work for some people, i am one of them.... i had to hit it hard to start to see the results, that got me addicted and hooked then it all just came natural, before i knew it i was waking at 5am to head out for a 10km run without the need for any pre-workout topups....

so if i were you rawk fairy, i would read all the advice and make up your own mind on what you want to use to achieve your personal goals but like the guy above has said, some of the advice you will get may not be the healthiest option, because people will make assumptions on what it is you are trying to achieve and how quickly you are trying to achieve it....

Hope I have not upset anyone with this post, not my intention....

good luck with everything you are all trying to achieve, its a daily struggle but with commitment and dedication anyone can achieve anything they want in life
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options

all depends what her goals are, we are not here to criticise (and i am not saying you are) or to judge. if she i happy with the speed of her weight loss, i am sure she knows the risks, but if she is happy with it then the best thing for her would be an energy drink or a pre-workout formula to get over that low sugar feeling.....

I lost 30kg in about 6 months and then slowed it down and lost the last 10 in the next 6 months.... roughly speaking...... i was very aggressive to start, very strict diet, had to deal with low sugars during morning exercise, you name it.... its all about decisions, what do you want to do, hit it hard and lose it fast or lose it steady and healthily...... sometimes doing it the healthy way just doesn't work for some people, i am one of them.... i had to hit it hard to start to see the results, that got me addicted and hooked then it all just came natural, before i knew it i was waking at 5am to head out for a 10km run without the need for any pre-workout topups....

so if i were you rawk fairy, i would read all the advice and make up your own mind on what you want to use to achieve your personal goals but like the guy above has said, some of the advice you will get may not be the healthiest option, because people will make assumptions on what it is you are trying to achieve and how quickly you are trying to achieve it....

Hope I have not upset anyone with this post, not my intention....

good luck with everything you are all trying to achieve, its a daily struggle but with commitment and dedication anyone can achieve anything they want in life

I completely agree with you that it's all about her goals and mindset, which is why I was asking questions. The reason I suggested actual food over an energy drink or even pre-workout drink for her in the morning was only because the exercise she gave was walking with her youngin' in the buggy, not a strenuous 10k run, etc. Especially since she noted she has trouble eating post workout, it's not a bad idea to get in calories before hand if they aren't going to upset her stomach.

Rawk Fairy, I totally get why you don't look that big to me which is because we're at very similar stats right now (and I've lost a lot to get to where I am) haha. I have a higher end goal by about 20lbs, but we likely just have different frame sizes. That being said, as your weight loss goes on I really encourage you to look into your TDEE only because at almost identical stats I'm eating 1700 cals a day and losing around 1lb per week. On 1200 calories I would feel like I was starving, but everyone is different. I just feel like if you can eat more food and still lose, hey, why not?

Food for thought, and I wish you well on your journey! You've clearly got some great dedication :)