Is not doing cardio worn like a badge on honor for you?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    Some people see it as only a way to lose weight, some people get that keeping heart and lungs healthy is important as much as maintaining a healthy weight. None of my business though what others do.

You do not need to do cardio to keep your heart or lungs healthy.

You may not optimize your capacity, but it does not mean they are not healthy.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I lift for the love of lifting, so I suppose I would fall into that category (I only weight lift). Not sure how that is different to someone who loves running marathons etc. Lifting is absolutely not necessarily only about being bigger or looking more muscular or fit.

I have never seen anyone (or cannot recall anyone) saying that cardio is useless, even if they do not do it themselves.

Oddly, there are people that do. Mostly on forums like this, but it is especially prevalent on bodybuilding forums (thought probably more aptly used there because of the goal of most members). Just do a search here with 'Cardio' and see how ridiculously polarized discussions can be.

I've tried both fitness regiments to see what is what for me. I've lifted with little cardio and done mostly cardio with little to no lifting. Results varied for performance and look, but in the end I could lose weight and improve health either way.

Cheers.

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Some people see it as only a way to lose weight, some people get that keeping heart and lungs healthy is important as much as maintaining a healthy weight. None of my business though what others do.

I figure that as long as I can fog a mirror, they are healthy. :smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »

as long as you are exhaling forcefully enough to be flexed...

just saying...

izall.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

as long as you are exhaling forcefully enough to be flexed...

just saying...

izall.

Hell yeah... :smile:
    Gotta show dem gainzzz
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You don't build muscle from doing cardio (with the exception of the heart possibly). Why? Different muscle fiber being used. There is a difference between aerobic and anaerobic use of muscle.

"Aerobic exercise (also known as cardio) is physical exercise of low to high intensity that depends primarily on the aerobic energy-generating process. Aerobic literally means "relating to, involving, or requiring free oxygen", and refers to the use of oxygen to adequately meet energy demands during exercise via aerobic metabolism. Generally, light-to-moderate intensity activities that are sufficiently supported by aerobic metabolism can be performed for extended periods of time." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobic_exercise

Aerobic and anaerobic pathways are used at the same time during exercise but available oxygen is a primary factor on which mode is providing the primary source of energy and which muscle type is carry the load. Primary path for aerobic respiration occurs in Type I muscle fiber (slow twitching) but Type 2b (fast twitching) can also be recruited. Type 2 muscle fiber relies mostly on anaerobic pathway to derive it's energy needs. There are some cross over but for simplicity I keep it at that.

The pathway used for energy derivation does not equate to muscle growth or limit it's growth in terms of size or capacity to do work! Adaptation occurs from the stress one put on it. Please do not confuse the science.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I do both (plus soft tissue/mobility/flexibility work).

I don't see what all the fuss is about...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    I lift for the love of lifting, so I suppose I would fall into that category (I only weight lift). Not sure how that is different to someone who loves running marathons etc. Lifting is absolutely not necessarily only about being bigger or looking more muscular or fit.

I have never seen anyone (or cannot recall anyone) saying that cardio is useless, even if they do not do it themselves.

Oddly, there are people that do. Mostly on forums like this, but it is especially prevalent on bodybuilding forums (thought probably more aptly used there because of the goal of most members). Just do a search here with 'Cardio' and see how ridiculously polarized discussions can be.

I've tried both fitness regiments to see what is what for me. I've lifted with little cardio and done mostly cardio with little to no lifting. Results varied for performance and look, but in the end I could lose weight and improve health either way.

Cheers.

I think a lot of it (on bb.com for example) comes from the myth that some cardio makes you lose all your gainz. I have not seen it on here (at least, not that I can recall, and I am sure it would be called out for bs if it was).

Not disagreeing that the subject of cardio is extremely polarized - maybe because people cannot seem to understand that people's goals and preferences are very different to each other.

I would encourage everyone to do some resistance training whether they do cardio or not - but that is really for health benefit (as well as body composition) reasons. Does that have to be the popular 'heavy barbell complexes'? Absolutely not.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

As long as I can run across the road to stop being run over, I am good :p
  • MityMax96
    Options
    :smile:
    So you play in the road do ya?
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Our heart and cardio vascular system health is critical to our fitness. Some people don't really want fit...they want "don't I look good"

Do not attack me for my post. You can disagree with my opinion without reposting me and without attacking me. Thank you.

Actually very well put. I totally agree.

Cardio is important - the heart is a muscle - just like anything else, overdoing it can cause harm - but underdoing it can cause even GREATER harm. It's an important part of the regimen and should be incorporated depending on the goals of the person.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Cheers.

I think a lot of it (on bb.com for example) comes from the myth that some cardio makes you lose all your gainz. I have not seen it on here (at least, not that I can recall, and I am sure it would be called out for bs if it was).

Not disagreeing that the subject of cardio is extremely polarized - maybe because people cannot seem to understand that people's goals and preferences are very different to each other.

I would encourage everyone to do some resistance training whether they do cardio or not - but that is really for health benefit (as well as body composition) reasons. Does that have to be the popular 'heavy barbell complexes'? Absolutely not.

good lord- THIS!!! ALL OF THIS!!!

As long as I can run across the road to stop being run over, I am good
    LOL!!! I want to say I totally am with this- but my shows/gigs are usually 20 minutes long of performing- which means not only be technically skilled- but not looking like I'm sucking wind- (have to still be entertaining and 'pretty')... so my cardio needs unfortunately are higher than "just get across the road"
    but I wish it was.
    LOL- I hate doing cardio- I takes so much time. (I like doing it and being DONE) but I want to be able to have that feeling/reaction from 15 minutes worth of work- not 50.

eff that- aint no body got time for that (Except marathoners/triathletes)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Most people who train heavy with weights have the following things occur:

1) Very intense and short bursts of activity for a short period of time.
    2) A period of very low activity (rest)
    3) Repeat.

At the surface this looks to have similarities to HIIT.

And

4) Very elevated heart rate and heavy breathing.

My cardiovascular conditioning has improved substantially from resistance training alone.

I'm not convinced that the addition of cardio would generate additional health benefits.

I'm on the fence whether or not there would be carryover effects into powerlifting were I to add cardio.

But right now I dislike it a great deal, and for me that's reason alone not to do it given my previous statements.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

3) Repeat.

And

My cardiovascular conditioning has improved substantially from resistance training alone.

I'm not convinced that the addition of cardio would generate additional health benefits.

I'm on the fence whether or not there would be carryover effects into powerlifting were I to add cardio.

But right now I dislike it a great deal, and for me that's reason alone not to do it given my previous statements.

That's how I feel w/ some of my workouts.....
    especially if you superset stuff......

Really is a cardio session in and of itself
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I start Strong Lifts two months ago. I have cut down on my cardio as my lifting has gotten more intense; on my lifting days my body tells me I need to recover. Still do a couple of dance classes/week and walk a lot.

People have different goals. No big deal.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    LaarainNYC wrote: »
    I start Strong Lifts two months ago. I have cut down on my cardio as my lifting has gotten more intense; on my lifting days my body tells me I need to recover. Still do a couple of dance classes/week and walk a lot.

People have different goals. No big deal.

Everyone stop liking things that I don't like!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that the only people you see acting proud about it are only about their looks or are you saying that all lifters you see doing just weights and no cardio are only about their looks?

I don't think I proposed that well. I see people who strictly weight lift and would say cardio is useless are about lifting for lifting sake (or seem to end up that way) and that is their goal - lifting more to be bigger or look muscular and fit as their goals. It isn't a slam to anyone who just lifts.

There was that one "anything less than 1rm is pointless" troll a couple years ago. LOL
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I love cardio.

Lifting not so much. I like calisthenics more than I like weights. When I get to the point where I can perform push ups, pull ups, and chin ups unassisted/unmodified, then I'll be happy.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    But I'ts just not realistic to blanketly call ONE way harder- it's all a matter of what you're conditioned for.

Agree with that, too!

:drinker:

Nobody actually said that, nor that it was the hardest thing in the universe, so I'm not sure why people are trying to disagree with things that were never said. What was being talked about was 3DR saying, "I don't necessarily find it more difficult. The hard effort is challenging but it is also short. I find mentally HIIT can be easier than a particularly long run at a lower but sustained effort." Then someone put it in terms of numbers, and someone else tried to take those numbers literally and make a big deal out of it.

Don't ever change, MFP.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

3) Repeat.

And

Mine did too. But when I started couch to 5K (even with the occasional biking I did) I found there was a lot of room for improvement. And I don't mean the running itself, I mean the actual being able to sustain a high rate of oxygen/energy consumption. I went from wanting to die after 2 minutes, to being able to run at 90% max HR for a solid hour and feel fine the whole time and when I'm done.

I don't imagine it means my cardiovascular system was unhealthy, but it was very far from what it could have been.

ETA my resting HR also went from high 50s last year, to 46 as of last week, FWIW. :)