Low Carb, High Protein - I need ideas and CONVINCING!

Options
ExRelaySprinter
ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I want to try lowering my Carb intake and upping my Protein.
Basically, i'm trying a different angle to lose body fat....and lowering Carbs seems about the best way for me right now (obviously, along with exercise).
The thing is, i'm not totally convinced that Protein is "filling", as the things that normally fill me up are Pasta, Rice and Bread!
So i need idea's of Protein Rich foods that you guys eat to fill you up and help towards your weightloss.
Meal ideas would be a great help! (I don't eat Eggs or drink Milk btw....so sadly, things like Omelettes are a No No :/ ).

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Then don't do it. Low carb/high fat/protein is for people who DON'T feel full on carbs.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How can someone convince you that protein gives you, personally, a feeling of satiety?

Am I misunderstanding your question?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no ideas for Low carb as your reasoning is incorrect.

Calorie deficit (regardless of how you get it) helps you lose weight...if you want it to be mainly body fat you need some sort of lifting program and protein to help heal the muscles.

My current set up is 45/25/30 with the 25% representing protein based on my current estimated bf levels.

As for protein keeping you feeling fuller longer try it and see...as for ideas....lots of meat, greek yogurt, protein shakes or powder in smoothies.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options
    Then don't do it. Low carb/high fat/protein is for people who DON'T feel full on carbs.

Yes, i know...but for me it's more to do with lowering body fat.
    A high Carb diet (which i'm on now) isn't really going to help.
  • Bsp120167
    Bsp120167 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't eliminate all the things you like but try cutting them 25% at a time. Swap out half your pasta for a piece of fruit or veg. I try to elminate processed carbs from my diet more than just doing low carbs
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options
    How can someone convince you that protein gives you, personally, a feeling of satiety?

Am I misunderstanding your question?

My question was more "tongue in cheek" .
    A lot of people talk about Protein being very satisfying, but i haven't found that....Yet.
    Basically, i'd like ideas of protein rich meals, which are filling.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm just transitioning to LCHF (low carb high fat) and I had my first shopping trip yesterday... my mouth was watering just walking through the supermarket and picking up all the things I've been forbidden for the past 20 years.
    Are you thinking of doing LCHF, or just increasing your protein? Usually it's the fat content that helps with satiety. If the former, you could join the LCHF group if you want to converse with like-minded people (rather than people who just want to tell you not to do it) (:-)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Anyway this was my LCHF shopping list:
    Peanut butter (no added sugar)
    Smoked mackerel
    Coconut milk
    Chicken thighs
    Bacon
    Rib eye steak
    Minced beef
    Brazil nuts
    Almonds
    Macadamias
    Pumpkin seeds
    Sunflower seeds
    Avocados
    Olives (in oil)
    Olives stuffed with feta cheese/almonds (in oil)
    Pesto
    Full fat greek yogurt
    Sour cream
    Clotted cream
    Cream cheese
    Cheese (check carbs in any particular variety)
    Mayo (no added sugar)
    Hummous
    Butter
    Eggs
    Salmon
    Olive oil
    Berries
    Vegetables (not root)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options
    @Chrysalid2014
    Yes, that's what i'm talking about. ( :) ) and i'll be joining the LCHF group shortly.
    Thank you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The thing is, i'm not totally convinced that Protein is "filling", as the things that normally fill me up are Pasta, Rice and Bread!

It may not be, for you. Try it and see, if you want, but rice and bread aren't filling at all for me (pasta is, but there's always protein and fat with it when I eat it), which just shows that people are different and you may not be someone that low carb works for.

Be aware that low carb is typically based on increasing fat, not protein, and if you are reluctant to do that (fat isn't bad, though), it's not a great idea. (Fat is actually the satiating part for many.)

I'm in favor of getting protein at least up to lean body mass (grams vs. lbs, of course), so if you are much lower than that increasing protein might be something to try.

Check out the low carb group for good suggestions on how to implement it, but my simple advice is increase portions of foods that you eat that are fat and protein and decrease serving size of carb-based foods (well, other than non starchy veggies, which are low in calories so carbs too, and have fiber).
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Cool; check out the Launch pad – there are links for recipe sites and shared recipes.
    see you there!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Here is a mind blower for you...l if you drop your carbs and do not increase your fats... You will fail. Both provide energy to the body.... Protein does not. So set your protein at about .8 grams per kilo body weight... For me that is about 100 then lower your carbs to what ever amount you want... I suggest to start go to 100. The rest is fat...... Wow this will bring them screaming out of the wood work... Let the flames begin... Oh yes this way of eating in about a week will obliterate your hunger... Good luck and anything low carb on the main forums will bring out the CICO haters...
  • Alex37166
    Alex37166 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know that everyone reacts to food a bit differently, but for me, I cut out refined sugar, processed food, out to eat food (fast foods and going out to eat at all), gluten, wheat and rice. I mostly eat oats, eggs (which are very filling for me without the carbs), chicken (very filling without carbs), and green veggies that have a lot of nutrients and vitamins in them (Broccoli, Green Beans, Peas and Spinach). Those things seem to help me. Fruit I add in as well, but it's only about 1/4 of fruit compared to vegetables. For some reason, too, Peas are a good choice for me to fill me up, and on top of that, I can eat them like candy if I'm not careful. They are moderate in carbs, but not high enough to over do it. My success has been in upgrading my levels of good fats, moderate calories, and making sure they have plenty of acting elements in them throughout the day. Breakfast is my heaviest as I work out in the morning, and that meal is the heaviest in carbs. I hope this helps.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Just saw this -- I'd advise you to check out the Eat, Train, Progress group. There's no need to do low carb to decrease body fat (I've been trying to do a recomp that had me increasing carbs, in fact, although around workouts specifically). You want adequate protein, but don't need "high" whatever that might be. To know how much you'd want to know weight and body fat percentage, as well as goal.

As for adjusting macros--you will get the obvious protein sources identified by everyone, so I'll just say again that adjusting portion sizes and making sure you include protein in every meal or in snacks is really the easiest way to increase it. Filling protein rich meal: eggs + smoked salmon + veggies (my morning omelet, often). Dinner=meat plus veggies plus rice. Lunch = salad with protein or something similar to dinner. You can keep your filling carbs in all of them while increasing protein--it's just about balance.

Good luck!
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've been on a low carb, high protein diet for the last 3 years and have lost over 101 lbs. Please feel free to add me.

My idea of low carb is 30 g of lower per meal and 15g per snack. It really just taught me how to eat moderately in correct portions.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Alex37166 wrote: »
    I know that everyone reacts to food a bit differently, but for me, I cut out refined sugar, processed food, out to eat food (fast foods and going out to eat at all), gluten, wheat and rice. I mostly eat oats, eggs (which are very filling for me without the carbs), chicken (very filling without carbs), and green veggies that have a lot of nutrients and vitamins in them (Broccoli, Green Beans, Peas and Spinach). Those things seem to help me. Fruit I add in as well, but it's only about 1/4 of fruit compared to vegetables. For some reason, too, Peas are a good choice for me to fill me up, and on top of that, I can eat them like candy if I'm not careful. They are moderate in carbs, but not high enough to over do it. My success has been in upgrading my levels of good fats, moderate calories, and making sure they have plenty of acting elements in them throughout the day. Breakfast is my heaviest as I work out in the morning, and that meal is the heaviest in carbs. I hope this helps.

Yes, this is very helpful Alex.
    Thanks!
    And thank you to all the others that have suggested food options.
    I'll try and cut my Carb intake by 50% and eat more good Fats & Protein and see what happens.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I like to do tacos on a bed of salad (without the tortillas). Chicken breasts with different seasonning (garlic thaï, terriaki, cajun...). Turkey, horse meat is also very lean. Fish is great too. Side dishes like quinoa and lots of veggies like aspargus, green beans, sprout beans. For snacks, I go for cottage cheese, low fat greek yogourt, nuts, beef jerky, smoothies with protein powder, pure protein bars.
  • caeliumspecto
    caeliumspecto Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @Chrysalid2014
    Yes, that's what i'm talking about. ( :) ) and i'll be joining the LCHF group shortly.
    Thank you.

I am also following a LCHF diet. I'm also pretty focused on a more paleo take to it (high vegetable/nuts/unprocessed foods.) Both of you feel free to friend me if you'd like support.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    GET THIS STUFF (I get it at Costco):

http://www.comfytummy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/black-bean-pasta.jpg

Black bean pasta, one serving (2 oz. dry) has:

180 cal
    2g fat
    17g carb
    12g fiber
    25g Protein

It tastes like pretty much nothing which is what I want in a pasta.
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I tried LCHF,,,,too much meat and grease for me. I decided to stick with smaller portions of the carbs and higher portions of the fruits and veges and a little meat. It will be a transition for you in the beginning, hang in there. Good luck to you!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Well that's silly, fat loss isn't significantly different with a high carb diet, holding cals and protein constant