having trouble losing.....help!

Options
pattihernandez
pattihernandez Posts: 6 Member
I have a fit it. I log all my food and exercise. I do not know what else to do!

Replies

• bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    without having any other info to work with...either eat less, or exercise more, or a combo of both
  • murphyavril239
    murphyavril239 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's not enough to just keep track of the calories, it's the type of calories you're eating too. What is a typical day?
  • eseviour1981
    Options
    Also bear in mind that as you cut calories, your metabolism will slow down. Without enough exercise to keep that going, you won't lose weight regardless of the calorie deficit. You can also use things like green tea or hot lemon cayenne water to help.
  • maryelissa33
    maryelissa33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that drinking a lot of water helps and doing some type of exercise every day. I also try, doesn't happen every day, to stay right at or under my calorie goal, even when I exercise and am "allowed" more calories.

Using this app has been a life changer for my husband and I. We don't use any other apps or trackers and we have been doing this for 81 days today and have lost 28 pounds and 25 pounds! Tracking calories is so simple and makes such a difference.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • jamie_reynolds
    jamie_reynolds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    how long have you been doing this? it can take weeks for results to start showing.
  • abenna
    abenna Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you have been doing this for a while and plateaued you could increase your calories a little for one day and that will sometimes get your weight loss going again. But only increase 3-4 hundred calories for that one day.y
    I have a fit it. I log all my food and exercise. I do not know what else to do!

• pattihernandez
    Options
    Thank you
  • pattihernandez
    Options
    I have always struggled with my weight. Lately it has been exceptionally difficult. I try to eat 1,000 each day with one cheat meal each week. I eat 60 grams of protein...lots of veggies and about 80 grams of carbs. I exercise every morning. On lift days I do 8 exercises..4 sets and 20reps. When I increase my weight about once a week. I walk about 4miles everyday then pick one day and walk 4 more miles . Other cardio days i stay on the ellipitical for one hour.
    I drink one gallon of water each day.
    Thank you

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can you give us more information?

Age? Height? Weight? Goal weight? Are you using a food scale (which it doesn't look like you are)?

If your logging is accurate, you should be losing since you're eating less than recommended (which is probably less than you should be set to, especially with exercise factored in), but it doesn't seem like it is.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    This is an unusual forum for questions about weight loss so you might not get as many replies.

I would recommend reading some of the stickies posted at the top of the General Diet & Weight Loss forum such as Calorie Counting 101 and Logging Accuracy, Consistency, & You're Probably Eating More Than You Think as well as A Guide To Get You Started on Your Path To Sexy Pants from the Getting Started forum.

Buy a food scale, weigh and log everything.

Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories. Lift weights and hit your protein goal to help maintain muscle mass while losing.

Cheat meals that take you over maintenance will sabotage your efforts. Log the cheat meals too (falls under the 'log everything' rule).

Eat anything you want in moderation, keeping in mind that your diet will be easier to stick with if you chose foods that make it easier to stay under your calories without feeling hungry.
  • eseviour1981
    Options
    In general, anything under around 1200 per day will put your body into a kind of starvation mode. You won't really lose weight because your body recognises that it isn't getting enough food and so slows everything down accordingly. 1200 and exercise is about as low as you should take it.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Also bear in mind that as you cut calories, your metabolism will slow down. Without enough exercise to keep that going, you won't lose weight regardless of the calorie deficit. You can also use things like green tea or hot lemon cayenne water to help.

Definitely not this. If you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Unless you defy the laws of biology. There is no such thing as starvation mode. If you eat an extremely low calorie diet, you may damage your metabolism, but that will be in extreme circumstances, and you will still lose weight. (Think concentration camp, or anorexics)

Exercise is not necessary for weight loss, only a calorie deficit.

Calorie deficit for weight loss, exercise for physique, health, fitness and to have more calories to eat while you're losing.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    In general, anything under around 1200 per day will put your body into a kind of starvation mode. You won't really lose weight because your body recognises that it isn't getting enough food and so slows everything down accordingly. 1200 and exercise is about as low as you should take it.

Wrong
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am not sure why this is posted under "recipes". I just ran it across it by accident.

I do not know anything about your journey (how long you have been at it, how long on MFP), your real struggles (eating too low calories, not losing weight, losing muscle mass) and how to respond to the statements you made that you only eat 1000 calories a day, the weekly cardio you do and the weight lifting... :):):)

Not enough to go on here.. I would close this thread out and start another one in the proper forum and rephrase with exact questions and with a bit of history..
  • pattihernandez
    Options
    Thank you. This is my first time using the community on fitness pal. I will try agaim.
  • pattihernandez
    Options
    Again
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I should really stop pushing my Fitbit onto people... but changed everything for me. Logging and working out maybe once a day was not enough for me. With my Fitbit it motivates me to get moving. I now walk 30 mins in the morning, 45-60 mins at lunch time, 60 mins in the evening, and 20 mins pilates before bed. I am always competing with people and wanting to get more steps. It syncs with Myfitnesspal too so it helps me figure out how I am doing with my calories in vs. out. I lost 7 lbs in 4 weeks with it so far. I love it. I really do not think anything else will work for me like Fitbit
  • dawne000
    dawne000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the type of calories your eating... Or you might not be eating enough. I was stuck at the same weight for months, then my dr suggested I add more calories (500 more a day!!!! - lots of lean protein) - I did and BAM, it worked! Good luck :)
  • maxumstyle
    maxumstyle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eat your protein first - always. Do not add extra fats into your meals - get the fats from your foods you are eating - avocado,meats etc. Eat lean cuts of meat. Weigh everything you eat - 5 oz. protein per meal. No snacking,no cheat days. The longer you go without cheating on sweets,junk food etc. the less you will crave it. Space your meals at least 4-5 hours from each other. Also when the scale isn't budging you are likely losing inches. Measure yourself and record it once or twice per month. A stall isn't a stall unless it's been over 6 weeks.