Shaving Legs and/or Other Areas of Your Bod

Options

Replies

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mizzzc wrote: »
    I have super dark curly hair and if I shave my bikini too often (more than once a week) I get so many bumps/ingrowns. (If somebody knows how to solve my problems please HELP)

Also I dont have a BF and it is always winter here so I shave armpits/legs only when needed. Half the time I forget to before gym time with OHP and I'm sure all the other ladies there have seen my hairy pits.

Deodorant. The stick kind - white, not clear, not gel, the white stick kind. a couple swipes right after you shave and a couple the next day. Works like a charm (for me anyway).

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I shave my head every day. Does that count? Sometimes twice a day if we're going out.

Totally counts! B)

Also, shaving your head everyday actually sounds like so much more work than shaving other areas. Is it hard not to cut yourself?

Haven't cut myself in years. The head is much easier to shave than most parts of the body.

Interesting! Maybe you just have a particularly smooth head, though. :D That could be it!

It is very smooth. Funny story. I was picking my granddaughter up from daycare one day and this little boy was standing there. When I reached down to pick her up, the little boy reached out and touched my head. The daycare teacher scolded him. I told her it was fine, so he reached out and did it again. As soon as he touched my head and I didn't do anything, about 8 kids ran up and touched it. That was the cute part. The funny part was that after I stood up with my daughter, the daycare teacher asked if she could touch it.

I am LMAO at my desk.

that is pure awesomeness

Definitely!! :D
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    Tweezers in your personal area?! Oh please say it isn't so. Ow!

Don't knock it till you've tried it ;-)
  • qshama
    qshama Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I shave my head every day. Does that count? Sometimes twice a day if we're going out.

Totally counts! B)

Also, shaving your head everyday actually sounds like so much more work than shaving other areas. Is it hard not to cut yourself?

Haven't cut myself in years. The head is much easier to shave than most parts of the body.

Interesting! Maybe you just have a particularly smooth head, though. :D That could be it!

It is very smooth. Funny story. I was picking my granddaughter up from daycare one day and this little boy was standing there. When I reached down to pick her up, the little boy reached out and touched my head. The daycare teacher scolded him. I told her it was fine, so he reached out and did it again. As soon as he touched my head and I didn't do anything, about 8 kids ran up and touched it. That was the cute part. The funny part was that after I stood up with my daughter, the daycare teacher asked if she could touch it.

bless you...your posts made me laugh so hard!
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Stopped shaving a while ago, haven't looked back. Don't have to worry about prickly stubble with super soffffff leg hair now. ^_^ I swim & wear skirts with legs hairier than my bf's, and no one seems to give a damn (least of all him), so there ya have it. :D I -do- pluck my chin, however, my one concession to vanity. It's not real bad, but I have some stubborn witchy hairs that are determined to grow in thick, black, and straight out.

I'll be honest, though - if beard hair could grow like head hair, it would be intriguing to cosplay Cheery Littlebottom. ^_^

efa9da48f4a918421077995b7571b414.jpg

Rhys Rhysson approves.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Totally counts! B)

<3 What a sweet story! (Also, lol @ the teacher!)
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    NumbrsNerd wrote: »
    I hate the fact that as a dark-haired person, even if I shave, it looks like I didn't because you can see the hair under the surface!! I bought a Silk'N home hair remover + a lifetime cartridge. In two treatments, half of my underarm hair was gone - after the third, I'm down to about 10-20 stray hairs. I'm also working on my legs and bikini line. It costs $200 + $100 for the cartridge but it's SO WORTH THE MONEY!!! It works really well for me (light skin tone, dark hair - supposedly its less effective on lighter hair and is not safe for darker skin tones). I can't wait to be permanently hair free!!!

eta: results were originally understated.

Ok, at first I skimmed this because I thought it was a sales pitch. ;) Lol.

I also have dark hair, so I know what you're talking about. I'm kind of put off by it not being safe for darker skin tones, though. Why is that? I mean, my skin is pretty light, but I have yellow undertones and tan easily. I just use a lot of sunblock because I'm a bit paranoid about skin cancer/wrinkles. :p

I'm just thinking that if people with darker skin tones can't safely use it, then it might be damaging to all skin in some way...

Laser works by targeting the pigment in the hair which is why it works best on darker hair. If your skin is too dark it can burn from the treatment which is why it is not safe for darker skin. Like the girl above said, it works best on light skin/dark hair because that combo allows for the safest and most effective treatment.

I had an at-home laser device (Tria) and it worked okay- definitely decreased and slowed my hair growth temporarily but after a few months it all grew back. Not to mention the Tria was extremely painful. The problem with those devices is they are a "one size fits all" approach as opposed to a more powerful medical grade machine with adjustable settings depending on your skin and hair.

I ended up just getting professional laser hair removal and I totally recommend it, especially if you are a good candidate(dark hair/light skin). My skin is light olive and tans easy, and very dark hair. The only downside (in my opinion) to the professional treatment is you can't get a tan for the duration of the treatment. Other than that, it is way less painful than the at-home device I used and the results are far better and more permanent.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have super dark curly hair and if I shave my bikini too often (more than once a week) I get so many bumps/ingrowns. (If somebody knows how to solve my problems please HELP)

Also I dont have a BF and it is always winter here so I shave armpits/legs only when needed. Half the time I forget to before gym time with OHP and I'm sure all the other ladies there have seen my hairy pits.

Deodorant. The stick kind - white, not clear, not gel, the white stick kind. a couple swipes right after you shave and a couple the next day. Works like a charm (for me anyway).

Hmm that WOULD explain with my armpits never seem to get bumpy... Thanks :)
  • MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    I shave every other day year-round. I alternate days shaving in the shower with washing my hair. I will add in an extra shave if a special occasion falls on a non-shave day, and will add in an extra shampoo if I go swimming (beach or pool) or get extra sweaty.

Exactly. Same here :p
  • therealblackdahlia
    therealblackdahlia Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I'm not fond of hair in those places either, but I couldn't shave everyday. I'm sure that would really irritate my delicate skin!
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

LOL...great story, grandpa!
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    dsalveson wrote: »
    I hate the fact that as a dark-haired person, even if I shave, it looks like I didn't because you can see the hair under the surface!! I bought a Silk'N home hair remover + a lifetime cartridge. In two treatments, half of my underarm hair was gone - after the third, I'm down to about 10-20 stray hairs. I'm also working on my legs and bikini line. It costs $200 + $100 for the cartridge but it's SO WORTH THE MONEY!!! It works really well for me (light skin tone, dark hair - supposedly its less effective on lighter hair and is not safe for darker skin tones). I can't wait to be permanently hair free!!!

I also have dark hair, so I know what you're talking about. I'm kind of put off by it not being safe for darker skin tones, though. Why is that? I mean, my skin is pretty light, but I have yellow undertones and tan easily. I just use a lot of sunblock because I'm a bit paranoid about skin cancer/wrinkles. :p

I'm just thinking that if people with darker skin tones can't safely use it, then it might be damaging to all skin in some way...

Laser works by targeting the pigment in the hair which is why it works best on darker hair. If your skin is too dark it can burn from the treatment which is why it is not safe for darker skin. Like the girl above said, it works best on light skin/dark hair because that combo allows for the safest and most effective treatment.

I had an at-home laser device (Tria) and it worked okay- definitely decreased and slowed my hair growth temporarily but after a few months it all grew back. Not to mention the Tria was extremely painful. The problem with those devices is they are a "one size fits all" approach as opposed to a more powerful medical grade machine with adjustable settings depending on your skin and hair.

I ended up just getting professional laser hair removal and I totally recommend it, especially if you are a good candidate(dark hair/light skin). My skin is light olive and tans easy, and very dark hair. The only downside (in my opinion) to the professional treatment is you can't get a tan for the duration of the treatment. Other than that, it is way less painful than the at-home device I used and the results are far better and more permanent.

Thanks for the clarification! I could probably use one of these, then. :) Good to know!
  • MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Options

LOL that is the cutest thing I've heard in forever. I can totally picture that. :D
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    dsalveson wrote: »

Thanks for the clarification! I could probably use one of these, then. :) Good to know!

Nothing beats not having to worry about body hair at all!! :grin:
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It all gets shaved every day, year round. I prefer smooth skin!
  • angela302014
    angela302014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    i never shave ever :D

What is your secret
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    i never shave ever :D

What is your secret

She's comfortable with her natural state! ;)
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,762 Member
    Options
    I just braid my pubes.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I haven't shaved in 5 years, laser hair removal was some of the best money I ever spent!!
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    I haven't shaved in 5 years, laser hair removal was some of the best money I ever spent!!

I feel like I'm in an infomercial for laser hair removal...and you guys definitely have me convinced that I NEED it like right now!