Dr. Oz is full of it too

Options
13»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking that everyone knows this. But no, every day someone else tries to use "But... Dr. Oz" to back up some claim or other. Just adding my two cents to bump the thread so more people see it.

Not to mention the weekly Rasberry Ketones threads....
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    We'll see. I used to work for CU, and a lot of variables go into a position like that:

- Visibility
    - Ability to draw in new patients/ high income patients on the strength of your name
    - Possibility that you will donate at a high level to the capital campaign
    - Probability that when raising funds you will have access to other high net worth individuals, and play an active role in soliciting them for the capital campaign

It remains to be seen whether or not a petition of this nature will be toxic enough that his popularity lowers and has a real effect on the reasons he has his position.
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Looking for shortcuts is human. What's amazing is that he got away with it for so long. I mean, what made the suddenly pen the letter now? Could it be because Food Babe is on the rack at the moment?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    We'll see. I used to work for CU, and a lot of variables go into a position like that:

- Visibility
    - Ability to draw in new patients/ high income patients on the strength of your name
    - Probability that when raising funds you will have access to other high net worth individuals, and play an active role in soliciting them for the capital campaign

It remains to be seen whether or not a petition of this nature will be toxic enough that his popularity lowers and has a real effect on the reasons he has his position.

Having worked in the medical field myself, I'm fairly sure it would be easy to prove legally that he's violated several laws that doctors are obligated to follow.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    NPR All Things Considered just reported on it.

There is a slightly greater than zero probability that he will lose his position at Columbia.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    His reaction ...
    tumblr_mi4hyv8Wxo1rjatglo3_500.gif
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    jvt63 wrote: »
    Looking for shortcuts is human. What's amazing is that he got away with it for so long. I mean, what made the suddenly pen the letter now? Could it be because Food Babe is on the rack at the moment?

There as been a long standing feeling among scientists (and probably doctors too) that fighting psudoscience isn't worth the time. I think in the past few years there's been more if a movement to fight this stuff head on.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz doesn't have an opera about him. Jerry Springer does. End discussion.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    This pleases me.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options

- Visibility

It won't effect his popularity at all but in the medical community, his credibility will be significantly compromised. If fools want to follow his false claims we can't stop them but he will be a laughing stock to the medical community which will eventually compromise his reputation in the lay community because he will have no colleagues to back him up.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jvt63 wrote: »

I'm surprised that anyone could show sudden shock and/or dismay and/or disappointment when it comes to Dr. Oz. I have never been able to figure out why people follow him. I always thought he was a buffoon and a showman and was actually shocked to discover (years ago now) that he was an ACTUAL doctor. I though the "Dr." part of his name was just a cutesy show name. Like Dr. Feelgood or Captain America or The General Car Insurance or the Dog Whisperer or something. I couldn't believe it when I found out that, no, actually, he is a real, bona fide doctor, who at some time in the distant past probably did care about properly treating actual, live patients.

THAT was my only shock where it came to Dr. Oz.

• cdcruizer05
    cdcruizer05 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Gooooooood