Appetite suppressants

Options
13»

Replies

• dragonfly256
    dragonfly256 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling hungry on the diet that was developed by your nutritionist then you really need to talk to your nutritionist about this. They should be able to work with you on this. Something's not right.

I hope you feel better soon and things work out for you!
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Food.

Yes! This was my first thought too.

But seriously it sounds like people have given you good advice and that you're on track. I think water, tea, and patience are appetite suppressants for me. Patience in that if I'm feeling hungry I'll have some tea/water and wait 30 minutes or so before putting any food in my body.

Also, agreed that your stomach doesn't shrink but your perception of fullness and how much food is really enough (and when to stop eating) does change.
  • TexasGirl972
    TexasGirl972 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I stated using V3Max, I love what it does to me also give energy. <3 plus I drink about 100 oz of water a day.
  • NicoleMcQuillen
    Options
    I drink shakeology every morning and I'm not hungry until around noon. My boyfriend drinks it around 10 and he isn't hungry until around 2 or 3. It's a bit pricy but I love it and it definitely suppresses hunger!

Drink a ton of water, too.
  • ericaelainefields
    ericaelainefields Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, since you're inactive from knee injury maybe you could use small weights for upper body exercise? Low impact that shouldn't make you hungrier, but you could earn some more calories in your diet and preserve muscle to fuel your metabolism.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Three pounds in three days is generally not a healthy way to lose weight--unless you're morbidly obese and under a doctor's supervision. Three pounds in three weeks is generally considered a pace where your body is receiving the nutrition it needs and you can sustain the weight-loss once you reach a healthy weight. Safe and sustainable is the only way to achieve long-term results. What happens when you're off your super strict diet? Have you learned eating habits (macro nutrients, portion control) that are going to keep you from gaining it all back?

• Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Thanks to all of you. My calories are 1200. I think the best thing for me to do is just wait a little longer. My stomach needs to shrink. LOL and then I won't be so hungry.

Hate to break it to you, but I think the whole 'stomach shrinking' thing is a myth; usually when people think their 'stomach has shrunken' it is either down to them eating more nutritionally dense foods or getting used to a new eating routine. Also, I do agree with those people that think 1200 is a bit low and being hungry is probably your body's way of telling you it needs more fuel. Do you eat back your exercise calories?

I find tea is a great filler between meals though :)

I am finding that as the days pass, I am less hungry. I really do think there is something to the stomach shrinking thing. Or, maybe it's more the brain/stomach thing. It adjusts to getting less food in a mental and physical way.
    I am a very healthy person. I have researched a lot and in rider for me to lose the weight that I want, 1200 calories a day is what I need to do. I realize that 3 lbs in 3 days is too much. I am sure it will slow down. But, I needed that jump start to motivate me.

OK, I don't mean to be rude, but this is some real talk for you.

You didn't do enough research if you think that it's a "very healthy" idea to eat far too few calories on a "specific" (see: Named, also Scam) diet and that it would be better to take dangerous appetite suppressants than to change course and pursue a sustainable plan.

You very likely do not need to eat only 1200 calories to "lose the weight you want." You can lose weight at any deficit from your NEAT. Deadlines aren't part of sensible weight loss. Those who aren't patient are almost always doomed to fail.

Frankly, I'm a little suspicious of your dodge on the questions about your stats (age, height, current weight) and exactly what this "specific" diet is. (Anything called "The ____ Diet" is almost always a bad idea, by the way) Your "please don't tell me to eat more?" No. You need to eat more. I'm not going to lie to you and avoid that truth just because you prefer to think you know better.
    ^^^^ THIS.

OP, I'm small. I'm 5'2" and 111 lbs. My BMR is MORE than your intake. Unless you're a midget, you shouldn't be on a 1,200 cal diet. No wonder you're hungry.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are prescription appetite suppressants which work wonders.
    Here's a blog post I did compiling information about a bunch of them, with links for more info.

I've used phentermine, and it was amazing. A godsend.
    My hunger reset to a normal level, and while it was doing that I learned to eat normal portions.
    But I started taking it when I was 110 lb over the top end of a healthy weight range, based on BMI.

Your ticker says you want to lose 7 lb.
    No reputable doctor would prescribe an appetite suppressant for you.
    Drink more water, tea, etc. (non-caloric),
    eat things with more fiber, more water, more weight, more bulk, and fewer calories (fruits & veggies).

minx wrote:
    Appetite suppressants are not well received around here - and for good reason. They can be
    dangerous and they don't solve the actual problem. What happens when you get down to goal weight? Are you
    going to drop the pills? Then what? You will still be hungry and you will still be inexperienced at managing your diet
    without a crutch. Then you will gain weight (or be miserable) and go right back on the pills.
    They are just as safe, or dangerous, as any medicine. They're used under the supervision of a doctor.
    They are not taken once someone is no longer obese, so your straw man about getting to goal weight then regaining
    is nonsense. They remove one of the problems with losing weight: hunger. That's it. That allows a person not to be in
    pain (hungry) while learning to eat sensibly.

51637601.png
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    certain images or videos you can view on the internet can be strong appetite suppressants for many
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    The appetite suppressants are actually amphetamines (speed) which
    explains why addicts are thin and are able to do without food. They are highly addictive
    No, they are not 'speed'.
    Some of them are in the same family/class of drugs as amphetamines, but they're quite different.
    And no, they aren't addictive. (Then again, I don't have an addictive personality... I don't do coffee,
    rarely drink caffine, and despite all the various & wonderful pain-relief drugs I've had over the years
    for my assortment of broken bones, kidney stones, etc., I've never been addicted to _anything_.)

if you are eating insufficient fuel for you body you will plateau and your body will go into
    survival mode and start storing your food as fat to copy with the famine it perceives is happening.
    :headbang:
    WHY does this keep getting perpetuated?
    It's complete and utter NONSENSE!

Yes, there is such a thing as "starvation mode", and yes, your BMR will drop if you're starved long
    enough, but it's hard to reach and very doubtful that anyone eating 1200 cal/day would get there.

And no, if you're eating less than your body needs in order to run, it will NOT be storing any calories
    as anything - fat or glycogen.
    If that were true, concentration camp survivors would be obese.
    So would anorexics.

Your body will be burning whatever it can in the hope that you will eventually find food again.
    It prefers to burn carbs (glucose, then glycogen), then it burns fat, then it burns muscle.
    (Yes, they overlap to some extent, but that's mostly the order.)

Muscle is last in part because it's an inefficient conversion (the body gets more energy for what it
    spends to burn carbs or fat), and in part because that's a last-ditch effort to keep you alive in order
    to find food.
    THAT is starvation mode, the real thing. It's a race against death, hoping you find food before your
    muscles give out... esp. your heart & diaphragm.

Here's a really really really good article about starvation mode, what it is and is not.
    Read it, please.
    Then pass it on the next time (the next dozen times) you see someone spew this nonsense.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MKGal you are entitled to your opinion as we all are. However I know from bitter experience how eating too few calories has sent my body into starvation mode and piled on the pounds. I am 67 yrs of age and it was a well known fact (I've been on many a course) that doctors, in my generation, were prescribing appetite suppressants and they were the equivalent of speed. My last course was 2 yrs ago and the drugs counsellor confirmed this is still happening. Good luck to you that your are fortunate not to suffer from an addictive personality some are not so lucky. When posting comments I try hard not to be "rude" to any other member. I also try to offer knowledge (if I have it) or personal experience. It is then up to the individual to rule it out, explore further or use the suggestions. My motto have always been "if it works for you".
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    Thanks to all of you. My calories are 1200. I think the best thing for me to do is just wait a little longer. My stomach needs to shrink. LOL and then I won't be so hungry.

Hate to break it to you, but I think the whole 'stomach shrinking' thing is a myth; usually when people think their 'stomach has shrunken' it is either down to them eating more nutritionally dense foods or getting used to a new eating routine. Also, I do agree with those people that think 1200 is a bit low and being hungry is probably your body's way of telling you it needs more fuel. Do you eat back your exercise calories?

Why wouldn't the stomach contract if continually underutilized? It definitely can grow in capacity greatly with proper training.

Oh, it is definitely a mental thing; without surgery, it is pretty much impossible as an adult to 'shrink' your stomach physically as the saying literally implies. It can stretch and so contract after a large meal or a day of eating too little, granted, but you won't make any permanent difference to it's original size. It is generally agreed that it is the hunger that 'shrinks'. I'll see if i can find any links again to the bits and pieces i've been reading to back this up.

• DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »

Why wouldn't the stomach contract if continually underutilized? It definitely can grow in capacity greatly with proper training.

Oh, it is definitely a mental thing; without surgery, it is pretty much impossible as an adult to 'shrink' your stomach physically as the saying literally implies. It can stretch and so contract after a large meal or a day of eating too little, granted, but you won't make any permanent difference to it's original size. It is generally agreed that it is the hunger that 'shrinks'. I'll see if i can find any links again to the bits and pieces i've been reading to back this up.

I'd disagree on that. Competitive eaters train months and years to increase stomach capacity. Next time you're at the store, grab two gallons and a pint of milk and look at them in your cart. That's the same volume of chili that Joey Chestnut can eat in *6* minutes.