April 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @SBRRepeat what a lovely thing to do. Full credit to you for doing something that will actually make a difference to those girls lives.

@dawnna76 have you always hated running? Sometimes once you sign up to something and are committed, it can feel like a bit of a chore and take the enjoyment out of it. I'm sure you'll have an amazing race day, though, and all those times you made yourself train when you had no inclination to do it will have been worth it.

12 mile run for me through the park today. Should have gone earlier in the day because it was so hot but, sadly, I had other (boring) things to do this morning.

exercise.png

• jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 3.44 miles
    4/3 - 5 miles
    4/4 - 5 miles
    4/6 - 4 miles
    4/8 - 3 miles
    4/10 - 3.5 miles
    4/12 - 8 miles
    4/13 - 3.5 miles
    4/15 - 3.47 miles
    4/17 - 3.25 miles
    4/18 - 9 miles

exercise.png[\img]
  • Nottafattie
    Nottafattie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    1194aaf192bb80c.gif

4/1 = 3.50 miles
    4/5 = 5.54 miles
    4/7 = 6.24 miles
    4/15 = 5.00 miles
    4/16 = 7.10 miles
    4/18 = 3.28 miles

Today was my first race, a little 5k in a small town filled with seriously competitive people. About 30 seconds out of the gate, they gave us a hill. This is Missouri. We grow hills really, really well here. There was a kid in front of me in the 10 and under group that took this hill at a full on sprint, trying to keep up with his group (and their longer legs). He started dropping behind, breathing so heavy that I was concerned. I could hear his Mom tell him to hug the curb to stay out of the way of the runners behind him as she kept going. I hadn't realized that his father was running further back with other kids, but I could see that he was upset about not keeping up. So I slowed to a walk, helped him calm his breathing for several minutes until his dad caught up.

This kid passes me on and off throughout the race. At mile three, there was a dog on a leash barking at all the runners. Same boy stops in fear and I catch up to him and put myself between him and the dog and promise I will stay there until we are past the dog. Boy jumps ahead once it's clear, then falls behind again. 100 meters from the finish, boy passes me again. He gets third for his age group. I get fourth for mine. Would have made third if I had not stopped to help the boy along the way, if I had kept pushing forward on my own quest. No fancy medal for me, but I can live with the reward I did get.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @Nottafattie wow, what an eventful race! Might have just missed out on a medal, but at least you know you did something good in helping that kid. How I hate unleashed dogs that aren't good around people, makes me so angry!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Today was my first race, a little 5k in a small town filled with seriously competitive people. About 30 seconds out of the gate, they gave us a hill. This is Missouri. We grow hills really, really well here. There was a kid in front of me in the 10 and under group that took this hill at a full on sprint, trying to keep up with his group (and their longer legs). He started dropping behind, breathing so heavy that I was concerned. I could hear his Mom tell him to hug the curb to stay out of the way of the runners behind him as she kept going. I hadn't realized that his father was running further back with other kids, but I could see that he was upset about not keeping up. So I slowed to a walk, helped him calm his breathing for several minutes until his dad caught up.

This kid passes me on and off throughout the race. At mile three, there was a dog on a leash barking at all the runners. Same boy stops in fear and I catch up to him and put myself between him and the dog and promise I will stay there until we are past the dog. Boy jumps ahead once it's clear, then falls behind again. 100 meters from the finish, boy passes me again. He gets third for his age group. I get fourth for mine. Would have made third if I had not stopped to help the boy along the way, if I had kept pushing forward on my own quest. No fancy medal for me, but I can live with the reward I did get.

^^^^^ runner!
    (And not because you ran a race.)
    xo
  • Beccajayn
    Beccajayn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @Nottafattie This made me cry. That is so awesome.

exercise.png
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Nice race, SonicDeathMonkey!
    You are awesome, Nottafattie!

I ran 7 miles today in just a few minutes under SonicDeathMonkey's half split time. That's the longest I have run so far though and I felt pretty good about it. Nice and easy. I am pretty sure I sabotaged myself by reading that runner's trots thread yesterday though. Thankfully I stay fairly close to home. Eek!!
    exercise.png
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    9.6 miles to add for today.
    51.5 completed 28.5 to do.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Ran the Garmin half marathon in Olathe KS today in 2:38:09, a new PR!. Was a great run. It rained lightly the last 4 miles which was refreshing.

4/1 - 6 miles
    4/4 - 6.1 miles
    4/6 - 2.3 miles
    4/11 - 13.1 miles 2:42:09.4
    4/14 - 2.26 miles
    4/18 - 13.1 miles 2:38:09

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @SonicDeathMonkey80 - Awesome race! Love your consistent pace! Congratulations!!
    @grimmeanor - Congratulations on your PR! Fantastic back to back races!!
    @Nottafattie - :flowerforyou: What a wonderful, thoughtful person you are. You have won a gold medal in my book!
    7172cnkqieth.jpg

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    Ran the Garmin half marathon in Olathe KS today in 2:38:09, a new PR!. Was a great run. It rained lightly the last 4 miles which was refreshing.

4/1 - 6 miles
    4/4 - 6.1 miles
    4/6 - 2.3 miles
    4/11 - 13.1 miles 2:42:09.4
    4/14 - 2.26 miles
    4/18 - 13.1 miles 2:38:09

exercise.png

I heard that was supposed to be a rainy one - glad it held off
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @grimmeanor Fantastic - congrats on the PR!
    @Nottafattie Great race and you are wonderful for taking care of the young boy. I see lots of parents leaving their kids in a race and it always concerns me. Skip is always a head of me so if she had a problem I would get to her. I don't think I could just leave her behind me at that age.
    @sonicdeathmonkey80 Congrats on the race today, consistent to say the least, no wonder you are such a great pacer.
    @stoshew71 hasn't posted yet, but congrats on your race today Stan.

I love racing season :sunglasses:
  • Nottafattie
    Nottafattie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone. For my first race, it's definitely memorable.
    @skippygirlsmom I guess the boy did have his dad at the end of the pack. I just didn't know it at the time. Even knowing that, I think I still would have stopped for him regardless. He was breathing really heavy, just sounded painful. I have six kids and that instinct to react when any kid is in trouble. Also turns out that his mom told him at the beginning of the race to find someone who's pace he could match and hang with them. I guess I was the one. In a fit of justice, the boy and I both passed mom in mile two. Finished pretty far ahead of her too.
    @shanaber <3 I'll take a virtual gold from this group any day of the week and be most proud of it.
    @4leighbee Thank you. It definitely takes more than miles or gear to make a runner. I'll admit I was jealous of the guy who finished it in less than 20 mins, but he went home with a cold metal trophy and I went home with a warm fuzzy memory. Yeah, I like the shiny stuff too, but there's plenty of time for me to get to that place and never another chance to go back and do things different.
    @Pandora_and_her_box The dog was on a leash, but it was a big dog and he was close to the road. Any kid at that age has the fear that something that big will get off the chain and after a brief chat with his mom at the finish, I got the impression that the boy has a deep seated fear of dogs as a result of an incident. No details to back it up. Of course, by this time we had passed his parents, so they couldn't be there to help him through it. I think maybe they could have prepared him a little better for what to expect. It was his first run too. At the same time, I admire their courage to let their kids explore, succeed or fail on their own. I'm perhaps too over protective. Is it better to keep them from the race if you feel they are unprepared or to let them experience it for themselves and find out what they are made of?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @nottafattie I love that you passed his Mom. LOL I think sometimes adults just expect the kids to run and be fine. The first "non" school 5K Skip ran she wanted to stay with me even though she's like 3 mins faster a mile than me. I think it was a security thing, at least for the first mile they she left me flat and waited at the finish line. I'm not really over protective, but I can't imagine on Skip's first race I wouldn't stay with her. You are right no medal in the world could replace the wonderful experience you had.

This past weekend in my half I was running next to a girl who was dying with 3 miles left. I started to talk to her, told her I wouldn't leave her and I wouldn't let her quit. I'm so glad I stayed with her when I probably could have finished a bit faster. She was so thankful after the race that I keep pushing her on she just hugged me at the finish line and said she would have walked if it wasn't for me. Worth every second my time was slower. I would hope someone would do the same for me.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    In for 50 miles!
    April 1st - 3.5 miles
    April 4th - 3.9 miles
    April 6th - 4.3 miles
    April 8th - 5.5 miles
    April 10th - 5.5 miles
    April 12th - 4.5 miles
    April 14th - 5.4 miles
    April 16th - 5.1 miles
    April 18th - 4.8 miles

Total: 42.5 miles

exercise.png

• italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    April 1: 4.14
    April 2: 5.01
    April 3: nada nada mermalada
    April 4: 6.12
    April 5: 3.29
    April 6: 5.26
    April 7: 1.5 & Pump
    April 8: nothing
    April 9: 1.5 & Pump
    April 10: 6 miles outside
    April 11: nothing
    April 12: 7 miles outside
    April 13: nothing
    April 14: 2 miles ™ & Pump
    April 15: 3.25 outside… awful! painful! done.
    April 16: 3.25
    April 17: 0 :-(
    April 18: 4 ™

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Forgot to post my miles for today. No long run this weekend, prepping for the La Jolla half next Sunday!

Date.......Miles......Total
    04/01.....4.07.......4.07 - +2 mile walk
    04/02.....5.20.......9.27 - + Strength Training
    04/03.....6.48.....15.75
    04/04...13.10.....28.85
    04/05.....0.00.....28.85 - Rest - 3 mile walk on the beach
    04/06.....7.20.....36.05 - + Agility
    04/07.....6.24.....42.29 - + Strength Training
    04/08.....0.00.....42.29 - Rest + Strength Training
    04/09.....4.37.....46.66 - Surprisingly good tempo run
    04/10.....6.20.....52.86
    04/11.....8.23.....61.09 - Hill repeats, trail run and more hills!
    04/12.....0.00.....61.09 - Rest - 3 mile walk on the beach
    04/13.....7.40.....68.49
    04/14.....5.36.....73.85 - + Strength Training
    04/15.....0.00.....73.85 - Rest
    04/16.....5.57.....79.42 - + Strength Training
    04/18.....5.50.....90.94
    04/19.....0.00.....90.94 - Rest

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 : sorry to hear that! I hope with a bit of rest you will have a speedy recovery.

@SonicDeathMonkey80 - congrats on nailing that goal! The consistancy of your pace is amazing.
    Was it a flat terrain, or do you manage to maintain it across elevation changes too? That seems near impossible to me - from looking at the pace in my training runs, I could probably reconstruct terrain and slope and figure out which course I went, if I somehow lost the position data going along with it :sunglasses:

@grimmeanor Congrats on the new PR, well done!

@Nottafattie great first race! You have earned the virtual gold medal shanaber handed you, and the warm fuzzy memory on top <3
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    19-Apr: 4K run - 20K cycle - 3.2K stumble
    Total run miles April: 58.8
    424b60c0983d631.png
  • skinnyby31
    skinnyby31 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

exercise.png