Diet Drinks

Options

Replies

• TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    I use artificial sweeteners daily. (Got some in my coffee right now.)
    Water, from the right source, is my favorite, but using fake sugar in my sweet tea is the norm. I keep a pitcher of "regular" sweet tea in the fridge (I'm from south Georgia...iced tea is vital lol) and a pitcher of green tea as well.

Switching from real to artificial sugar has probably cut close to 1000 calories from my diet per day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Water, water and water. I also drink cashew milk (unsweetened) which is 25 calories a cup. When I do drink dairy (not often) I drink 2%. I still have my diet Dr. Pepper, and diet Cherry Coke (I drink one glass at night with dinner).

I am from the south and I used to drink loads of sweet tea. I do not like to drink my calories so I actually do not drink sweet tea any more at all. If I go to a restaurant I may order unsweetened and sweeten it with SkinnyGirl (I carry one with me)..

I drink morning coffee so I gave up real sugar and creamer (but I sweeten it with truvia and sugar free creamer)..

What you need to do is make a decision if you want to have a glass or cup or two of tea (with goodies) and fit them into your calories. This is really tough to do and once you find an alternative that you can stick with it will be an easy transition,,, :):)
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    I just figured up my old average of sugar consumption just in tea and coffee and it came to 855 calories per day. Crazy!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You can look up recipes for healthier sweet teas. Don't drink Gatorade or other sports drinks because they are designed for athletes, people who train hard every day and burn hundreds to thousands of calories a day. Just do your research, low calorie foods and drinks aren't always that good either. People will often miss out on nutrients they need, because they go for low calorie stuff. A lot of low calorie items will lack protein, fiber or other nutrients needed. So just read the nutrition facts before you eat or drink something, that way you know if it's okay or not. I drink a lot of tea's (real tea, not the fake bottled kind) especially green tea. I also drink a lot of water, sometimes a black coffee and I also like the Bai5 drinks, they are low calorie and high in antioxidants. Best of luck on your health and fitness journey :)

Hey, you were on the other thread too. May I ask you here too where you got that sucralose causes acne?
    And if you think we shouldn't drink water because it doesn't have protein or fiber?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You can look up recipes for healthier sweet teas. Don't drink Gatorade or other sports drinks because they are designed for athletes, people who train hard every day and burn hundreds to thousands of calories a day. Just do your research, low calorie foods and drinks aren't always that good either. People will often miss out on nutrients they need, because they go for low calorie stuff. A lot of low calorie items will lack protein, fiber or other nutrients needed. So just read the nutrition facts before you eat or drink something, that way you know if it's okay or not. I drink a lot of tea's (real tea, not the fake bottled kind) especially green tea. I also drink a lot of water, sometimes a black coffee and I also like the Bai5 drinks, they are low calorie and high in antioxidants. Best of luck on your health and fitness journey :)

Hey, you were on the other thread too. May I ask you here too where you got that sucralose causes acne?
    And if you think we shouldn't drink water because it doesn't have protein or fiber?

I just re-read this post from @nerdymonkey. Sucralose does not cause acne (if you have a reaction to it maybe but rare).. Please post the evidence of this..

Water, water, and more water is always the best fluid you can consume. You do not have to have fiber and nutrients from your "drink"...

And Gatorade is not just for athletes. Gatorade is for EVERYONE...Where is this stuff coming from..

To the OP, drink a lot of water.. Also find an alternative (sugar, creamer substitutes) that fit you personally.. I drink coffee, diet coke, Koolade, even Gatorade from time to time and lots and lots of water. For my coffee I use truvia, SkinnyGirl (carry one with me) sweeteners and sugar free creamers..

Your tolerance to any substitute will be known right away.. Try some alternatives that you like and make a transition that suits the way you consume your drinks..
  • Greeneyedgrl_24
    Greeneyedgrl_24 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Water, lots of it
    Black coffee
    Tea, pretty much any kind, loving the vanilla chai right now though
    Diet Pepsi
    Diet Dr. Pepper
    Diet Root Beer

Drink what you like, as long as it fits in your daily calorie allowance. :)
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    What I drink-
    Bigelow Plantation Mint black tea, with 1/2tsp of splenda-sugar mixture added (I buy it pre-mixed)
    -water
    -and then I rotate between coke cherry zero, diet coke with lime and then occasionally diet mountain dew (this is my go to if we're someplace with vending machines like the ice rink my kids play hockey at).

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away of any artificially sweetened beverages or drinks link Pepsi Diet and Cola Zero, they contain aspartame as sweetener which is very harmful, I got a lot of problems regarding to my thyroid gland because of using aspartame.

AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

You do realise that the official line from the FDA is that aspartame is "one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved"?

Please provide us with evidence that this is not the case?

The British Food Standards Agency funded a clinical study of people who claimed to experience side-effects after consuming aspartame. The double blind controlled study has concluded there was no evidence of safety issues or side effects even amongst those volunteers who had previously claimed sensitivity. No differences were observed in clinical, biochemical, psychological and metabonomic parameters following consumption of aspartame in either group.

The FSA's Committee on Toxicity evaluated the results at its meeting in October 2013, and determined that "the results presented did not indicate any need for action to protect the health of the public

http://www.food.gov.uk/science/research/foodcomponentsresearch/t01programme/t01projlist/fs231010

The European Food Safety Authority re-evaluated aspartame as part of the systematic re-evaluation of all food additives authorised in the EU prior to 20 January 2009. All 600 datasets are available publicly. This includes previously unpublished scientific data including the 112 original studies on aspartame which were submitted to support the request for authorisation of aspartame in Europe in the early 1980s.

The EFSA draft report found that aspartame and its metabolites "pose no toxicity concern for consumers at current levels of exposure. The current Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) is considered to be safe for the general population and consumer exposure to aspartame is below this ADI".

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/dataclosed/call/110601.htm
    http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/press/news/130108.htm

Again, do you have evidence to show that the FSA and EFSA are wrong in their findings?
  • Barrett76
    Options
    So much fear mongering on artificial sweetners. I haven't found any solid credible evidence they cause any issues at all. Except the acids in soda can damage your teeth. I choose to drink mine through a straw.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away of any artificially sweetened beverages or drinks link Pepsi Diet and Cola Zero, they contain aspartame as sweetener which is very harmful, I got a lot of problems regarding to my thyroid gland because of using aspartame.
    Aspartame isn't "harmful". Very disingenuous comment due to your bad experience to it. It's the most studied additive on the market with hundred of peer reviewed clinical studies (not blogs, unsupported scientific studies, opinions, etc.) showing it's safe to consume.
    Personally I've drank diet soda for over 25 years now and haven't had any of the purported issues claimed by many of the anti aspartame crowd.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • paperhearts32
    paperhearts32 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow guys thanks for all the advice and tips!
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Water and coffee daily and the odd herbal tea at night. Sometimes I'll make homemade iced tea from my herbal tea and sweeten it with a bit of honey and I'll brew it with some mint along with the tea bag.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love diet pepsi, pelligrino, sparkling ice water!
  • cogsci
    cogsci Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    jwolford90 wrote: »
    ps - almond milk is a wonderful substitute for milk. I get the vanilla with reduced sugar. I think it's 60 calories a cup.
    Why not home made? No sugar at all!
  • jaddin1953
    Options
    Research how the 'artificial sweeteners' fool your body so much, that for 6hrs after that diet-pepsi, if will make you crave 'sugar'! (stevia may not affect the body the same way).
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

You do realise that the official line from the FDA is that aspartame is "one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved"?

The British Food Standards Agency funded a clinical study of people who claimed to experience side-effects after consuming aspartame. The double blind controlled study has concluded there was no evidence of safety issues or side effects even amongst those volunteers who had previously claimed sensitivity. No differences were observed in clinical, biochemical, psychological and metabonomic parameters following consumption of aspartame in either group.

The FSA's Committee on Toxicity evaluated the results at its meeting in October 2013, and determined that "the results presented did not indicate any need for action to protect the health of the public

http://www.food.gov.uk/science/research/foodcomponentsresearch/t01programme/t01projlist/fs231010

The European Food Safety Authority re-evaluated aspartame as part of the systematic re-evaluation of all food additives authorised in the EU prior to 20 January 2009. All 600 datasets are available publicly. This includes previously unpublished scientific data including the 112 original studies on aspartame which were submitted to support the request for authorisation of aspartame in Europe in the early 1980s.

The EFSA draft report found that aspartame and its metabolites "pose no toxicity concern for consumers at current levels of exposure. The current Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) is considered to be safe for the general population and consumer exposure to aspartame is below this ADI".

Again, do you have evidence to show that the FSA and EFSA are wrong in their findings?
    I saw an article a few months back that said artificial sweeteners go straight to your liver and your liver spends so much time breaking them down its ability to process sugars and fats is adversely affected. I can't find it again, but it makes sense to me.

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    jerber160 wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »

I saw an article a few months back that said artificial sweeteners go straight to your liver and your liver spends so much time breaking them down its ability to process sugars and fats is adversely affected. I can't find it again, but it makes sense to me.

PubMed and its 24 million+ citations from worldwide biomedical literature says differently.

Do you want to buy some unicorn droppings?
  • ena121396
    Options
    Hi All :) I'm new to dieting and I was wondering what y'all like to drink? I love arizona green tea and of course sweet tea, but apparently those are not good for ya. Any input is appreciated :)

Try vitamin water zero and propel flavored water they both taste great and have zero calories
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea, use some sugar free flavored syrup, such as caramel or vanilla
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    jaddin1953 wrote: »
    Research how the 'artificial sweeteners' fool your body so much, that for 6hrs after that diet-pepsi, if will make you crave 'sugar'! (stevia may not affect the body the same way).

Nope.