Things that people just SHOULDN'T say!

Options

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Oh, and "Your Goal Weight is very low". Yes, that's because I'm practically a midget and have small bones.
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    What I hate is...
    Oh you're doing so well do you want one of these? (producing a pack of brownies!)
    When I say no I get 'just have one, it won't hurt. Go on!'

To me it would hurt because I'm trying to lead a healthier lifestyle and lose weight and people trying to give me sweets and treats after I've said no is quite offensive to me.
    Oh I am SO with you there! Well said!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    What I hate is...
    Oh you're doing so well do you want one of these? (producing a pack of brownies!)
    When I say no I get 'just have one, it won't hurt. Go on!'

To me it would hurt because I'm trying to lead a healthier lifestyle and lose weight and people trying to give me sweets and treats after I've said no is quite offensive to me.

I hate this too, especially as I usually cave if they offer it to me more than once ><
  • lacr2011
    lacr2011 Posts: 7
    Options
    oh and i also hate the doubters!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have never seriously gotten motivated enough to lose weight. i tried this site once before and two weeks later foudn out i was pregnant and could not make this site work for my pregnancy.
    so i tell people i am on a new path and they give me a look like "sure hon, 130 lbs??? in what, 25 years?" it is so discouraging. but then i have my sister who is a personal trainer and my husband who is so encouraging and i know i can do it, but the doubters really SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its like, oh because i have so much weight to lose, i cant do it. well im proving them wrong one day at a time!
  • Brihammond
    Brihammond Posts: 29
    Options
    Oh, and "Your Goal Weight is very low". Yes, that's because I'm practically a midget and have small bones.

I definetly agree with this one. I say I want to lose 50 pounds and they say WHERE? That's too much weight to lose... then I say,"Well I'm 180 and 5'3". Then I get the,"You carry it well!" (Still a compliment, it's still feels kind of sucky for some reason.)

The WORST: "Your just thick/bigboned".
  • Brihammond
    Brihammond Posts: 29
    Options
    "you were prettier before you lost weight....."

:noway: :noway: :noway:

OUCH

I cannot IMAGINE who would have the galls to say that. So rude on so many levels.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    "You can have just one, it won't hurt you." I don't like being pressured into accepting a food I don't want. If I say no, it doesn't mean I don't really want it and I'd prefer if you'd refrain from trying to convince me to eat it. Because I probably will.
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    "You can have just one, it won't hurt you." I don't like being pressured into accepting a food I don't want. If I say no, it doesn't mean I don't really want it and I'd prefer if you'd refrain from trying to convince me to eat it. Because I probably will.
    Definitely a case of someone trying to get you to eat the same treat as them to assuage their own guilt I think! Ouch.. when I think back I may have actually said that before... :blushing: I promise never to say it again...
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    Oh the whole telling me what I can/can't/shouldn't eat -- usually coming from the queen of unlimited breadsticks at the Olive Garden. Ahem, yes Mom, I'm talking about you. Love you!

The one that gets me is "you've lost a lot of weight, I can see it in your face." YEAH? I dropped 50 lbs, what was I before, a stinking chipmonk?!?!? **But in all fairness and seriousness, this is usually said at the office where NO ONE would dare mention my backside for fear of H.R.
  • misschocolate82
    Options
    I have a couple of things....

Definately offering you something bad and saying it won't hurt....or 'you can have a day off'

A classic from my mother is 'wow you've lost loads, don't lose more' but the last time i saw her was before I started loosing weight and i was 14lbs heavier than the time she saw me before (we live 300miles apart).

But my biggest peeve is when I'm talking to someone skinny about weight loss and fitness and they tell me im not fat and don't need to loss but in the next breath same they are fat themselves.....(usually find its the overly confident size 8 girl who likes to flaunt it too)
  • sashalarue
    sashalarue Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! Yes i've had women come up and ask me when i was due...and my child is 13yrs old....*blank stare* really? Or the one that i'm hearing from my mother inlaw and sister inlaw..now mind you they are only 105 soaking wet ok...now i put my husband and son on a clean eating diet and in 30-60 days my husband had lost all his weight and my son just slimmed right on down nicely. Well she looks at me and says...are you dieting also? I look at her like she had a 3rd eye in her head, and mind you i just came back from the gym working my *kitten* off and she says that? I told her yes i was and I WAS LOSING WEIGHT CAN'T YOU SEE? Then she says oh well you know men lose faster than women...and she has said this everytime she sees me, her and her evil daughter....LOL everyone else that knows me knows i'm on my journey and i'm doing very well with it and ppl can see and they tell me everyday...but not her, i told her to keep on never saying it to me, i told her that keeps me motivated, because God knows i want to please my mother inlaw...*insert blank stare here*_________!
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    "oh come on, you CAN have just today as a 'free day' right? You can eat what you want for a day"
  • CmGoode
    CmGoode Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    your not fat your just tall ( am 6'2)

I'm 6' almost 6'1" and have a broad build. I hate the "you just have a large bone structure"
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    For me when I gain like 10 pounds and someone says, "wow you are really losing weight." um no I GAINED but thank you
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    "Wow, are sick? is something wrong? You don't have cancer do you?" Seriously. A few people had the gall to say that to me, when I was at my lowest (after gastrc bypass) Like I could do anything about it. We lose what we're supposed to lose and then we "bounce back" a few lbs. Boy, was I glad to see 165 again. (size 10). Even my ex, was an jerk about it and "ordered "me to stop losing. Notice I said EX. I should include the extra 240 lbs I lost, when I booted his *kitten* out the door!!!:laugh:
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily directed at me personally, but...

"I wish I could be anorexic, just for a couple of days."

As someone who has recovered from an eating disorder and is now losing weight in a HEALTHY manner, this one really burns me. And I always, ALWAYS say something. Other things I can let go, but not this one. :explode:
  • marci355
    Options
    your not fat your just tall ( am 6'2)

I'm 6' almost 6'1" and have a broad build. I hate the "you just have a large bone structure"
    I know sweetie. Everyone in my family have that large frame German bone structure. I am 5'5" and I was the shortest of everybody, but we're all large framed. It just the way G*D, made us!! My lil sister is 5'10, brother was 6'2", the other sister was 5'8" I hear ya, girl....:happy:
  • sophiej24
    sophiej24 Posts: 5
    Options
    My family like to accuse me of "fading away" and then get into debates about whether or not I've lost weight... it's like "I'm right here. Shut up already.".
  • chasekilgannon
    Options
    My SO is the main culprit when it comes to my weight loss road block. I make a point not to really share my weight loss to anyone because of the things people say, but this fool loves to do the self sabotage.

Two nights ago he brought home Oreos and Hot Cheetos. Last night it was leftover chocolate cream pie from Coco's. Now usually I have better self control, but when it's in there awhile I'm tempted. And I don't tend to buy unhealthy food because it's not like I want to see him gain weight either, we're both packing some pounds.

But when I first started he was convinced I wasn't eating; he had it in his head that I should be eating the same amount he does (him being 6' and I'm only 5'2").
  • marci355
    Options
    I had someone say to me "You can't eat that, I thought you were on a diet!!" Duh... it's called moderatation... So I started talking about my healthy lifestyle habits of eating fresh veggies/fruit and exercise and drinking water, and they said "Well maybe if you just stop eating sweets all together it wouldn't take so long" It's not a race, so I just smiled and thought to myself... "that's why your fat azzzz can't walk half a block" :laugh: and went on about my business...

Good luck to everyone on this journey whether it's your 1st time or 101st time, keep at it and one day you'll get it right. Just don't give up on yourself! :flowerforyou:
    Don't just love it when the "food police" show up?? They need to STFU. Nuff said.:bigsmile: