Geek Girl on an Epic Quest to lose 80lbs, wanna join? More companions wanted!

Options

Replies

• lilackisses
    lilackisses Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Me, me, me! And let me chime in about the Zombies 5k. I started with Zombies run and injured myself in... ahem... my zeal to outrun the zombies. The 5k is far enough from the original plot that it doesn't repeat things but close enough that it makes the original one make more sense. Starting week three, anxious to get back to my normal zombie-outrunning-routine. Feel free to add me!
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    FitGeekery wrote: »
    What is nerd fitness? Cause it sounds right up my alley haha

I was actually looking for some training programs that would 'train' me for the Zombie Apocalypse. Because geeky AND practical XD

I have to admit that this is partial motivation behind losing weight and getting fit.... Rule number 1....
  • NicolaMichelle93
    NicolaMichelle93 Posts: 685 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Another geeky nerd here (seems there are a lot of us around) and would welcome F/R from other supportive members of nerdkind :smiley: I love being supportive to my friends so feel free to add if you want an interactive buddy on your friends list.

I'm a huge Marvel fan, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, Hobbit/LOTR, Harry Potter, Supernatural, Arrow, Sherlock.. the list goes on. Like, srsly, such a huge list.
    Just recently starting watching Daredevil too, think I'm hooked to that series now!

I aim to build my warrior/ninja/ assassin, sword-fighting, arrow-wielding physique and lose the last few pounds whilst I'm at it.
    Nice to meet you all :smile:
  • charlotteX92X
    charlotteX92X Posts: 344 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes OP zombies 5k training app is as good as a normal c25k app. It's set between mission one and two of the main game and really motivated me to start running and continue running which the regular app just couldn't do. But then I am obsessed with zombies and am right now eating a gingerbread zombie :)
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    5 ft 3 and 153 lbs, I'm totally a hobbit. Um, as you can tell by my username... Half a stone down, got 34 lbs left to lose. Grew up on Tolkien (obvs), Discworld, Wyndham, Star Wars, etc. Used to play WoW but as others have said, time sink! Recently read the Walking Dead comics and can't wait for the next installment. I love all things weird and creepy, fascinated by local legends, mythology, burial customs, I'm also pretty into the beer scene... My OH is a vidya game, film and TV nerd, so between us we've got most of the bases covered ;) I tend to get a bit obsessive about my current interests, at the moment I spend so much time reading about different variables that could affect my weight loss. Geekfactor5000.
  • LauraWest26
    LauraWest26 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love everything nerdy and would love to have a motivational nerd on my side!! I'm looking to lose around 30-40lbs ^^
  • LadyLethe
    LadyLethe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I've been on here for a long while, but reading through some of the posts made me feel: yay! My people! :D I've never been on a forum or in a group, but this called out to me! Anyone can add me, I need support and want to support you all too! Just let me know who you are, what your geek love is/hobby/passion, and what I can do to help motivate you as well!

I love quite a bit of everything nerdy, but I am a huge book nerd. I love lotr, harry potter, clive barker, neil gaiman (sandman!! And novels and movies...I may have an obsession, really.), dante, chaucer, star wars, history (mostly about crime/criminal or psychology evolution, or specific time periods), Dr. Who, Marvel (did anyone read the new Miss Marvel?! Super stoked), some games, fantasy, and science fiction. I am currently playing D & D and starting up my first Jim Butcher series. :)

I've always been into sports but after many years of a lot of loss and stress and my last year of grad school (graduate in July!), I have put on an impressive amount of weight. Just finding my stride so here I go! I want to drop about 55 to 60 pounds and have recently lost 7.5! My current goal is to get back down to "derby weight" (I am about 8 pounds away from where I was when I played roller derby, which I love a lit, but had to quit for time and money reasons) and then keep up with small goals. Again, feel free to add me and drop me a line, so we can know some things about each other to help us along the way!

Good luck with your goals everyone! You will all do magnificently! I will be around!

Jenn
  • sparklecomet
    sparklecomet Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    @sparklecomet Hmm, that's not a bad idea! I used to do Pilates Reformer classes, and that's... oh dear so expensive but dang I did love it XD

@FitGeekery Obviously if you love the class it's important to go to it but if you need something to tide you over in the mean time Cassey is your girl!

• Magseye
    Magseye Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run!! Is always good for a laugh
    I do so love that app!
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Magseye wrote: »
    I do so love that app!

That app sounds so fun! I wish I could run :(
    Don't suppose there is a zombies! Walk! Lol jk
  • Magseye
    Options
    Magseye wrote: »
    I do so love that app!

That app sounds so fun! I wish I could run :(
    Don't suppose there is a zombies! Walk! Lol jk

Actually, I do walk it! If injuries or other considerations prevent "running", you can still use it. Also, there is a similar app called "The Walk", which you can check out. Personally, I would love for someone to create an "Eowyn's Challenge" app, since I have always loved J.R.R. Tolkien's works!
  • Magseye
    Options
    Yes OP zombies 5k training app is as good as a normal c25k app. It's set between mission one and two of the main game and really motivated me to start running and continue running which the regular app just couldn't do. But then I am obsessed with zombies and am right now eating a gingerbread zombie :)

:) LOL- We had "ninjabread cookies" at Christmas.
  • MishaTheMountain
    MishaTheMountain Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Geek girl here also at 206lbs and 5'3! I'm living in England and My geek Loves are Star Trek, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Supernatural, Doctor Who, The Walking dead, Marvel, Sherlock, Disney, Firefly. My aim is to get fit and healthy and wear something Awesome while looking awesome at Comic Con! Please add me or message me, would be nice to make some friends along the way! x
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    @lilackisses Thanks so much for the review, that definitely helps me decide if it's worth it and... yup it definitely sounds like it is! Adding you :)

@JordisTSM I think it's an awesome motivation to have, seriously fun and potentially practical XD

@NicolaMichelle93 There's many more of us here than I'd ever realized, and I couldn't be more grateful :smiley: Looove the goal physique, what beats warrior ninja assassin? Can't think of anything haha Throwing a request your way, the more geeks the better imo ;)

@charlotteX92X Internet five, I'm also obsessed with anything zombie XD Can't tell you how excited I was when they first released Zombies, Run! I remember telling my friends that nothing in the world could get me interested in running... unless I was running from zombies haha

@samgamgee Another hobbit?? Yusss, nice to know I'm not the only one :wink: That is an awesome and eclectic assortment of geek loves, and it's cool that your OH is also a geek. Tbh I'm pretty sure that's my #1 requirement XD Sending an add your way!

@strawberrylaces7 Supportive geeks are awesome to have, so consider yourself friend requested ;)

@LadyLethe Haha I know the feeling and that's really cool that this thread called out to you :smiley: Once again looks like we share a love of geek loves and I'm always happy to have more support than less. Throwing a request your way!

@sparklecomet Yeah I did love the group classes with the machines but I was lucky because at the time I got a really good student discount. Now I can't really justify paying almost double XD Definitely looking for fitness alternatives XD

@Magseye It's a great app, isn't it? Love that people thought it up. And I couldn't agree more, I would loooove a "There and Back Again" walking app! Because I would totally buy it.

@ninthnarnian You know, that's exactly what I did when I first got it. I was way too unfit and just a 30 minute walk from work was grueling exercise. The episodes can be changed to 30 or 60 min increments if I remember correctly (they play your own music in between), it's pretty easy to adjust to your own wants. And it makes going for a walk or a jog that much more fun. Can't go wrong with it really :smiley:

@MishaTheMountain You and I share one of the same goals: rock some cosplay at cons, nice! Sending a request your way, can't get enough geeky support around me hehe

And don't forget to scroll through the thread if any of you would like even more geeky companions! Love that this thread is bringing geeks together, especially on an epic journey like this <3
  • rainandwood93
    rainandwood93 Posts: 121 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Mayseye Eowyn's Challenge workout would be pretty much my ideal motivator haha.

• mooosy
    mooosy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all, another geek girl looking for some more friends on here :-) please send me a request if you like. I'm from Newbury in the UK. I'm 5'1", I was 222lbs last year, now 194, and looking to lose at least another 30lbs. I use mfp every day and the only exercise I do is walking. I walk while listening to the Wheel of Time on audiobook, although I've read the series through at least 5 times :-) A big fan of all things geek. Looking forward to age of ultron this week! :-)
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    [*] My ultimate goal reward is to take sword-fighting & archery lessons at a local studio, because what's better than geeking out and staying fit at the same time??

That's awesome. I used to be big into LoTR and such... never got into GoT. Actually LoTR started me into what I now love more... historical fiction (and real history for that matter). While reading about orcs and stuff is still interesting, I get more enjoyment reading about fighting the Normans, the Arabs, etc...

I used to partake in archery regularly into my teens... I would really like to get back into it as well.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    @mooosy Grats on your loss so far, that's a really cool idea to get your exercise and book geekery in at the same time! Always nice to have more fellow geeks, sending a request your way!

@belimawr I'd love to get more into historical fiction, I'm also a big history nerd as well particularly with ancient history. Adding you as well :)
  • nrosebr
    nrosebr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not much of a nerd over here, lol, but I have 80 pounds to lose too!! I can't believe I'm saying that...thinking about 80 pounds is so scary. I can use all the buddies and motivation I can get!
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    @FitGeekery I've read some great ancient fiction too, some in Roman times; others of the Celts...
    Bernard Cornwell's series are great. He has a fascinating version of Arthurian lore in particular.