Treadmill tip I found

Options
shortntall1
shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
http://walking.about.com/od/treadmillworkouts/a/treadmillhold.htm

Thought maybe some would find it interesting :)

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i hold on . but thats because i have the incline at 15% and otherwise ill probably fall off. i try to go a bit without but ya. been working good enough for me
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    when i jog on the treadmill at 3% then im not holding on
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    i hold on . but thats because i have the incline at 15% and otherwise ill probably fall off. i try to go a bit without but ya. been working good enough for me

If you need to hold the treadmill to not fall off, you are going faster than you should.
  • shortntall1
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

If you need to hold the treadmill to not fall off, you are going faster than you should.
    This.

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    This will probably not end well.

I don't care what people do on the treadmill, but I always wonder about people on the stair machine. Not that they hold the handles - you're supposed to do that, and I do it too. I'm sure I'd fall and seriously injure myself if I didn't. But the people who lean forward and put all their weight on their arms... what benefit are they getting from the machine by draping themselves over it?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    So what about people with balance problems? Are they not allowed to use the treadmill? Should they remain at home or go outside?
  • shortntall1
    Options
    I wouldnt get on a treadmill if I had a balance issue..I wouldnt want to break something lol..Id figure on something else..I mean, why do it if you dont get the benefits you are supposed to? I would find something that I could do where I would get the full benefit. Hey do what you want. But for me, its a waste of time if I cant get what I am supposed to get out of it. It's like eating chips. No nutritional value but hey, its eating.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    This will probably not end well.

I don't care what people do on the treadmill, but I always wonder about people on the stair machine. Not that they hold the handles - you're supposed to do that, and I do it too. I'm sure I'd fall and seriously injure myself if I didn't. But the people who lean forward and put all their weight on their arms... what benefit are they getting from the machine by draping themselves over it?

I wonder that also, when I'm on the stairmaster. I think some people feel the longer you are on there, no matter how you do it, will burn the most calories.

I don't hold onto any handles (stairmaster, elliptical, treadmill). However, I go as fast as I can without holding. I feel like i'm improving my balance... maybe not but I feel better when I'm carrying my own weight and not hanging onto to something.

I must say, there are some people who just don't have the balance, no matter how slow they are going. It might be a medical issue.
  • shortntall1
    Options
    Well, I guess Im just the type to learn things that can help me. If someone came up to me and said I could do something to improve my workout, Id thank them for the help. I wasnt judging. Like I said, do what you want. Its your time and effort. Maybe theres some here who would want to know.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Man dancing on treadmill.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPLANtOTLF8

There's a weird form I've been seeing lately that makes no sense. The treadmill is put on a steep incline, the girl is hanging on to the bar, and leans backwards as she walks. Essentially she is walking as if there were no incline at all. I thought the incline was to change the form so there is less impact on the heels. The way this girl is doing it, it's like she's hanging on for dear life.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt get on a treadmill if I had a balance issue..I wouldnt want to break something lol..Id figure on something else..I mean, why do it if you dont get the benefits you are supposed to? I would find something that I could do where I would get the full benefit. Hey do what you want. But for me, its a waste of time if I cant get what I am supposed to get out of it. It's like eating chips. No nutritional value but hey, its eating.
    So people with balance issues aren't allowed to use the treadmill then? Bookmarking this thread for the next "no judges you at the gym" post.
  • victorprocure
    victorprocure Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do people really care how someone is using the treadmill at a gym. I'm just impressed with people who go to the gym regardless of how they choose to do an activity
  • algingher
    algingher Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Tinabob here. A big part of the reason I do at home workouts and avoid the gym is because of the people watching you and judging you. I know it shouldn't matter to me but it does. And why worry about what others are doing, it's obviously working for them at the time. Maybe they're just starting to work out and holding on is the only way they're able to keep it up? Either way, I don't see why it's anyone's business but their own.

Just my two cents.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My first few months on the treadmill were dreadful. Painfully slow and my hands drooping at my sides or hanging on to the bars. My fitness and form have improved.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but it's posts like this that make the anxious not want to go to gym.

Time and again, we see posts from people terrified to be judged in the gym. Then they are told, "no one is watching you" but you are! Why? They might be hurting their workout, but it's not hurting yours.

^^ This.
    And it really is one of the reasons i chose to lift at home and own my own elliptical.
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    lol lucky for me i work out at home! no judgement there. well maybe the cat . but i understand where your post is coming from and i am working my way to holding on less. i have poor balance and dont use the bar to 'hold' myself ' but just lightly have my hands on it . makes me feel safer. i like that the incline works my butt and thighs but yes mess's with my balance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you're holding on at 15% incline, then it's too steep for you to do. Holding on reduces 30%-50% of the resistance, so you're just better off lowering the incline down to what you can do without holding on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Depends how I'm feeling. If my allergies are acting up and my balance is off, I'll have my hands lightly on the bars. Beats derping and getting thrown off the back. If I'm feeling fine, then I don't need that.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Opinion A.

Who gives a frack what other people are doing in the gym, as long as they aren't doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3QAvaaVZQc

Opinion B.

I simply don't understand why people use cardio machines to begin with. I mean, it's like standing around dong nothing, but sweating while doing it. Makes no sense to me. I'd much rather be in the squash court, getting my rage on while smashing a little black ball against a wall as hard as I can.

Your mileage may vary. For all I know, walking up an endless staircase might give you the wildest orgasms imaginable (which could be dangerous, falling down two steps from the convulsions might hurt). This doesn't happen to me, so I'll stick to things that are fun for me.

Actually, maybe that's why people hold onto the rails. They don't want to fall down when they reach their peak and their legs can no longer hold themselves up.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For the most part, I will hold on if I am messing with my ipod or getting a drink because I am not the most coordinated person in the world. But I hate to think others are judging me as I do. I'd rather see someone holding on a treadmill instead of sitting on their sofa so kudos to them for trying!