Question for the fit who hit the gym

Options
124»

Replies

• englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Wow. I really have to commend you, and I salute you. I totally mean that. A lot of people give in to "gymtimidation," but not you. You're obviously struggling with this issue, but you're choosing to face it. That sort of thing makes me so proud.

I just observed a discussion between two obese women and a former "fatty." The two overweight women were talking about how they don't want any fit, muscular people around when they work out. They even applauded the fact that their gym tries to keep those kind of people away. You choose to educate yourself instead though, and I respect that more than words can express.

Thank you :)

And thank you everyone. I went into the weights room today, the guy who runs the gym was really nice and helpful, he showed me what to use to tone me arms and how many reps to do, he later walked past and said "you got it!" :) I. Really excited about this, the people in there seem very nice. I can't wait to see some real changes, thank you all for your support and words of encouragement, it means a lot, my confidence is building each time I leave the gym :)
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    90% of the time when i see a big person lifting, i think to myself "yeah, keep up the good work." the other 10% of the time i'm just eyeballing their form.

Exactly the same for me.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    See, that's what I'm talking about. Some people are told (or tell themselves) that if they go to a gym, all the fit people will sneer at them, laugh at them, and otherwise ridicule them. That might happen on occasion, but by and large, people will tend to be supportive. And besides, most gyms are filled with people of all shapes and sizes, not just the ultrafit.

"Gymtimidation" is a crock. It exists almost entirely in between one's ears. Good for you for not giving in.

One last thought: The best defense is to work hard and to educate one's self. As a rule, regular gym goers only roll their eyes if they see you doing something foolish -- sitting on the equipment as though it were a lounge area, for example, or doing reckless things that could cause injury. As long as you put in the effort and learn how to use the equipment properly (which really isn't difficult), you'll be in great company.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I know it can feel intimidating but it's all in your head. People by themselves are into their lifts, phone, music, tv. People with partners are usually consuming with the partner and spotting them. The only time I notice people is when I'm waiting for the equipment they're on...or I'm secretly admiring like a creeper. I tune everyone out.

You should really meet with a trainer first just to have them show you how to use the equipment you need. I rely heavily on videos but if you haven't had a intro with general equipment and form and feel uncomfortable, a session is a good starting point.

And people probably won't just offer help randomly...except guys who offer to help you pick up heavier weights. But if someone had a question for me, I'd definitely help them. No one ever asks me anything though except how many sets I have left.
  • MatthewOttewell
    MatthewOttewell Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Wow. I really have to commend you, and I salute you. I totally mean that. A lot of people give in to "gymtimidation," but not you. You're obviously struggling with this issue, but you're choosing to face it. That sort of thing makes me so proud.

I just observed a discussion between two obese women and a former "fatty." The two overweight women were talking about how they don't want any fit, muscular people around when they work out. They even applauded the fact that their gym tries to keep those kind of people away. You choose to educate yourself instead though, and I respect that more than words can express.

Thank you :)

And thank you everyone. I went into the weights room today, the guy who runs the gym was really nice and helpful, he showed me what to use to tone me arms and how many reps to do, he later walked past and said "you got it!" :) I. Really excited about this, the people in there seem very nice. I can't wait to see some real changes, thank you all for your support and words of encouragement, it means a lot, my confidence is building each time I leave the gym :)

I'll give you my impression as one of those fit guys in "that" part of the gym.

Here is what we make fun of when it comes to women at the gym:

1) Women who sit on recumbent bikes while texting or reading a magazine;
    2) Women who do only cardio (unless they are killing it on the treadmill);
    3) Women who use those dumb balls or spend their entire time stretching.

I've never had a negative thought of a woman who comes to use weights. It doesn't matter what they look like or their size. People respect effort, and if you come in and work your *kitten* off, you'll be accepted as part of the community fast.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    OP, it really is all in your head. I've been lifting for a couple years and don't mind doing the main lifts in a (women's only) gym where most women just do HIIT exercises in the weight area and use the bench press for things other than bench pressing. I do still get maybe....embarrassed...when I do full on hip thrusts right in the middle of the floor of this tiny gym. Check out "hip thrusters" on youtube and you will know what I mean hahaha. I do them anyway and overcome my "fears" each time because I really want to do it and my glutes are looking great for it. No one has ever come up to me or looked at me strange when I do them, and once I actually saw a woman on the other end of the room grab some weight and start doing them too right after I was leaving haha. Also, don't underestimate that people will be glad to show you something they know a lot about if you ask or compliment them. Most people would be delighted to share what they know :smiley:
  • ccam99
    ccam99 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This may or may not be an option for you but when I started back at the gym after many years, I hired one of the trainers and he worked with me in the weight room. We met once a week for an hour and I did this for quite some time (because I enjoyed it). I learned about the equipment and a good routine that I could follow on other days by myself. This took away all the intimidation. You could probably meet once a week for a month and then you would feel the same way. I will say I never felt anyone there looked at me funny when I was by myself and if I had a question I had no problem asking someone that looked like they would answer me. It seems most fit people don't mind helping.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    I will also say that sometimes people look around at other people while resting between sets. This used to freak me out and I thought they were looking at me because I was doing something wrong. But they are just looking around out of boredom. I do it now too.

This! Or, at most, watching form because it keeps your mind on what you're about to do next once you catch your breath.

Starting Strength is a great program but I was intimidated about learning an Olympic lift without a trainer. I'd recommend Stronglifts if you can't afford a trainer. If you have a ways to go, as you say, I would also avoid imitating bicep curls, tricep cable pulls, or any other single joint exercise. You can body sculpt when you are ready, but I would advise sticking to squats, deadlifts, rows (barbell or even dumbbell in that case), pullups, dips, and overhead press. Get obsessed with Youtube to learn about proper form.
  • RodHudson1229
    RodHudson1229 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Forget about everyone else and just go for it. If you do need help most people in the gym are actually very helpful and kind should you approach someone. If you are just starting out seriously consider looking up some good core work. There are many workouts that don't really require much use of weights to start anyhow. As you progress and build your core you will start to incorporate weights. You would be surprised what planks, crunches and cardio can do for you. Not to mention help avoid future injuries. Your gym may even offer some classes you are already paying for.
  • swimminginseattle
    swimminginseattle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This thread has made a middle ages, completely out of shape woman happy. I literally just started going to the gym and am pleased to hear such positive remarks! thank to all you gym going members who do not judge!!!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Am not much into the gym anymore cuz am outside, but when I was there on a regular basis I only did a double-stare at the ladies who were performing vertical leaps onto the tall boxes. I seriously wanted to applaud them right then & there.
    As for crossing thru the weight area, too busy dodging & making sure wasn't getting in anyone's way.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Great job, OP! You did it. I still don't have the balls to lift at my gym. Not because of my appearance but because I'm a bit clumsy and awkward. I'm working through a program at home to get my form down but I need heavier weights. This thread has encouraged me - thank you!
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    First off, yeah for you and for wanting to lift. Second off, I can't speak for anyone but myself, however, with that in mind, I don't give a thought to putting my time in the back with the weights, and I don't give a hoot who is looking. Does your facility have a personal trainer that can get you started on a lifting circuit and get you familiar with some basics?

When I see someone at the gym, big or small, what crosses my mind is that they cared enough to show up. None of us are there for a beauty contest or a popularity contest (well none of us over our mid 30s)....

You Go Girl!!! Lift and shine :)

They do but I can't really afford one, if I make more sales in my etsy shop or something I may hire him for an hour to get myself some more knowledge, really I'm just going to go on what I can remember from five years ago lol

I used to love that one for the inner thighs, I could life 50k back when, but I didn't see that one in there from the brief moment I had a peek in the room. It's full of body builder type men in there, they smile when they walk past me on the bike do I'm sure they're friendly enough, I just don't want to be judged or laughed at

I think it's natural to feel self conscious. My guess is that as long as you don't interrupt people during a workout, most people are glad to offer opinions and advice.
  • englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    Great job, OP! You did it. I still don't have the balls to lift at my gym. Not because of my appearance but because I'm a bit clumsy and awkward. I'm working through a program at home to get my form down but I need heavier weights. This thread has encouraged me - thank you!

I'm clumsy and awkward too, I think working out is helping me be more stable, for example I don't fall over anymore when trying to put on pants lol ;)

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm a fat girl?, (partially formerly fat girl? half fat girl? half fit girl? ) ugh whatever, I'm a girl in the weights room and at my gym there are very few girls in there. I've only seen about 6-8 regulars not counting the bf visitors.

When I first started in there guys would watch me out of the corner of their eyes but after a few minutes they realized I had a plan and was just doing my workout so I was no longer interesting.

Because there are so few women in the weights room I notice when one shows up. I only approach someone if they look really lost or confused to ask if they need help finding something because I hated not knowing where stuff was. I usually look pretty grim when I'm actually lifting but try and give people a little nod or smile when I'm waking past someone and I always help if asked.

I also think having a plan and studying form will give you some confidence. Remember you'll only feel unsure the first few times then you're a regular.

You can do it. Weights is so worth the effort.