Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @ushkii - glad you are feeling healthier, keep it up and you'll get there.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    melifornia wrote: »
    MKknits wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas for something I can read or some strategy I can use to help me persevere with my weight loss goal?

I'm reading Marianne Williamson's A Course in Weight Loss right now. I'm only 3 lessons in ...

So I went to Amazon and checked out the book, then bought the 6-CD set. I'm much better at listening and taking notes than at reading when I want to learn something.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @cblue315 Sunday Share - My name is Lori, I am a wife, mother of 2 grown sons, an interior designer. I own my own store, I specialize in custom made window treatments.
    Three years ago I weighed in a 297. This morning was 186. Joined MFP in June of last year.

what you typed was AWESOME! I am at 250 presently, and because I had done Jenny Craig way back in 2010, and I KNOW what 187 feels like, I can so relate. I never lost the weight in my head and my heart though, so here I am back to where I started. (Kind of, back then I had started at 265 lbs) The journey is so familar though and it makes me feel so guilty about wasting all that money on a program that spoonfed great results but didn't really teach me a damn thing. Doing this journey is hard, and emotionally messy.
    I have been reading "The Best Life Diet" by Bob Greene.
    Also another great book is "One Bowl-A Guide To Eating for Body and Spirit" by Don Gerrard.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Still here and still busy as always. I think the weekend is finally catching up with me and today I am plan tired. This week will keep me out most nights with meetings, sigh. It will be a long week.

ushkil-Glad you are feeling better.

Gotta run, I need to accomplish a few more things before heading to bed.
    Have a good night.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    Today is a day of realization for me. I am working toward my goals. Truly working at it. Maybe not every minute of every day but always going toward my goals not away.
    One thing I believe to be remarkable among us, we all are doing what we can, when we can, where we can, the way we can. We are all quite accepting of each other's journeys. So often in groups of peers in my past I have not encountered this. Most of my life this has not been the case.
    I am so grateful to feel a part of this remarkable group. Thank you to all for your open sharing, consoling, curiosity and mostly support.
    Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Annr – I second your praise of Tom’s post and GO Liver Transplants! Amazing and wonderful! Congrats to you for living a week without stress. That’s major!

Next time anyone renews their Driver’s License – you can simply check on your form and become an organ donor – its easy and quick, and you then have the chance to give life to many people.

@Tanya – losing forms at Tax Time – how frustrating that must have been for you thank goodness you finally found it, and are getting a healthy refund. A refund is one item the larger it is the better!

@Laurie – you look so great in all those pictures! That outfit looks super on you – are you happy with your shorts? They look comfortable. Its really neat to hear your times and how good you felt after each part of the tri! Great pix – nice friend!

@mkKnits – welcome back – I think Grandma Kaye’s advice is the most sensible and the simplest and the easiest to follow. Its darn hard to make yourself do it the first week or maybe even two weeks, but then it gets a whole lot easier.

@Kaye – that is a lot of news for you and your hubby and family. I hope you adjust well to being the primary driver.

@Tom @Niki – great garlic comments!!!! I’ve always got it on my counter or in my grocery cart!

@Lori – “my plan is to make a daily plan” I’ve had the same idea for a long time. Let me know when you get that working and tell me the trick, ok? I can’t make it work for me….
    But hey – that was quite a tip, lady !!!!!! WOW Tell that one to the local gossip!

@Ellarai – welcome – you’ll soon feel comfy if you stop by daily and read or post if you can – this is a good place to come instead of snacking!

@Niki – hey girl – you follow through this week on one thing, and you’ll be so proud of yourself, wont you? I know if you do, I’ll be inspired by you!

@Kah – can’t wait to see your pictures after your paint project. And congrats on that 5 miles of biking!

@Ushkii – glad the scope is over for you. What were the results?
    Oh, and I know how you love to garden, and it keeps you outside so much longer. You should make yourself a “man cave” somewhere out there and start talking to some of your neighbors and maybe they’ll start dropping by! Then you can share your peas when they come in!

@Goins – WOOT for being down 20 lbs – that’s so impressive – you are doing great! Tracey- I love Wallyworlds capris – I got 2 pair and love them!

@Skinny – that is SO frustrating! Gosh I would have been way more upset than you are stating you were – gosh, having to wait another whole month is so sad. Seeing you put your classes first is so admirable though – way to go! I hope, once he see’s you, all the tests etc he orders will be done in a jiffy. So keep some open time in the 2 weeks after that appointment because he will probably order an MRI and some x-rays and a return visit.

@Niki – what a beautiful memory of your first day of Kindergarten

@Ushkii – oh wow – big time problem taken care of! Well get better young man  !!!!! Use your cane, walk with conscious effort, look before each step, and if your doctor said that, then he meant that. I’ve had the total knee, so yep, try to lose the weight instead.

@CBlue
    You just posted this remark:
    “Hello All,
    Today is a day of realization for me. I am working toward my goals. Truly working at it. Maybe not every minute of every day but always going toward my goals not away.
    One thing I believe to be remarkable among us, we all are doing what we can, when we can, where we can, the way we can. We are all quite accepting of each other's journeys. So often in groups of peers in my past I have not encountered this. Most of my life this has not been the case.
    I am so grateful to feel a part of this remarkable group. Thank you to all for your open sharing, consoling, curiosity and mostly support.”

Lori – I just want you to know by saying this you saved me from quitting today.
    Yep, this was going be my good-bye post –I’d made up my mind that I really wasn’t that close to anyone here – that no one would really miss me. That I was such a failure at keeping my weight off - that I was a bad example and I should let the discussion thrive on the backs of people who were successful at losing weight.

Darn it. Now I want to stay. And here’s my truth. I weigh 275 today and I had gotten down to 206 and bounced right back up. So I have tons of health problems. Lots of mental roadblocks I need to work on.

Oh Lori, you said it so well. I am always moving towards my goals, not away from them. No matter what is going on in my life, I do keep an eye on my goals.
    Thank you.
    I’ll see you all again real soon.
    Ellen
  • Tribalbutterfly
    Tribalbutterfly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone :) Id like to join you all!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the newlings!! I feel bad that I haven't had time to really get to know all of you yet, but am looking forward to doing so.

@robin--so glad lori's post changed your mind. Please know you would certainly be missed if you left us. Although I understand your feeling that you aren't a good example b/c of bouncing up and down with weight, the fact that you are still working at it (despite the setbacks) is truly inspiring. I sometimes also feel like I've "failed" due to being stalled out for the past 2 years. I keep saying I will "get serious" or "go all in" and then I let other things take priority. And though I might not have reached my goal yet, I haven't given up--and that's something. In fact, in some ways, I think that's everything. I will reach my goal b/c I won't stop trying, and having you and all of the others here to lean on and vent to and cheer with--that is what keeps me going.

As far as the foul up at the doctor's, I don't think I clearly expressed my emotional state. I was extremely upset--to the point of tears--but there was literally nothing I could do about it. This is in response to kelley as well--the doctor wouldn't see me, and no amount of complaint was going to change that, so I left. It's a sad reality of our healthcare system, but when doctors don't "need" you as a patient, you have no recourse when the service is bad.

I had wanted to get in more personals, but it's already getting late.

Tuesday Goals:
    To get completely back on track with my eating. I've certainly been better the past 2 days, but still over and too many snacks. Tonight I made some fish for lunch for the next few days, so that will help. I also have no more meetings this week--I'm terrible with the snack packs they always have available.

At our meeting today, we presented out contract to our union board. They seemed happy with it for the most part. There are a couple of big hits--especially at the elementary level, but over all it's a good package. They agreed and voted to recommend the membership approve it. It will go out to the whole membership late this week with the actual vote mid-May.

April Challenge:

Nutrition = At or over 90 grams of protein 5/7 days a week
    Week 1: At/over 90g of protein 6/7
    Week 2: At/over 90g of protein 5/7
    Week 3: At/over 90g of protein x/7
    Week 4: At/over 90g of protein x/7

Exercise = run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: 1/3 runs
    Week 2: 2/3 runs
    Week 3: 1/3 runs
    Week 4: x/3 runs

Next 8k is May 9th (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15, 3/29 = 59:15)

Grading Goals:
    1. 8/60 Junior research papers
    2. x/64 Yeats journals
    3. x/64 Lit theory papers
    4. x/60 Hemingway annotations

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE
    Mon--meeting
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--wake
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri--walk gunner
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

2015 Mantra = Just 15 minutes
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    it's been a crazy week again for myself. not having a job has made me realize that I never remember what day it is. anyways it's finals week with school for my classes so I'm busy with that and my son wants to go to college so I've been busy helping him with that. Which is kind of nice but I don't have to take off from work to help him I can devote more time to showing him what to do. I found out today that I actually made it to the interviewing process for the job I applied for called Love Your Melon working in a non-profit that deals with helping kids who have cancer. I have to make a homemade gift before the interview is part of the process but I don't know for what age level or for a boy or a girl so it's been a little bit of a challenge to think of something to make. I decided on a homemade journal with an original Holly exclusive poem on the first page of the journal. I'm also behind in reading post I'm really just trying to figure out how to get a schedule in place sorry guys I'm sure you're all doing really well with your weight loss and I've been praying for everybody on this thread every night.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @RobinsEgg - yes, you'd be missed. The fact that you are having problems is the very reason why it's important that you keep coming back. You have inspired so many here to be honest about their feelings and the reasons for their weight gain. You shared a very private side of yourself with us and it helped many of us deal with our own issues of abuse and fear. Please keep coming back, you are needed here, you are the backbone of this thread!
    @mnwalkingqueen - glad you are seeing the silver lining of unemployment, and I'm praying for you to get the job at LoveYourMelon, it sounds like a great place to work. Good luck with your son's college applications.
    @skinnyjeanzbound - I feel your frustration, but it's best to put it behind you and look forward. Glad to hear the contract is going forward to the general membership ratification.
    @cblue315 - thank you for your post.
    @Tribalbutterfly - welcome, welcome! We are all here to support each other, cheer each other on, and to be sounding boards for anything you need to talk about. This month we are setting our own personal goals (mine was to be consistent with exercise and food logging), but sometimes we do a group goal. You can participate or not. Share with us a bit about yourself, get to know us and let us get to know you. You'll not find a more supportive group anywhere.

AFM - I was really hungry today, I think I did too many refined sugars today (though I stayed under my sugar goal) and it triggered my snacking monster. I still managed to stay under on most of my metrics, but for the 3rd day in a row I went over on fats. Need to work on that.

Have a great night everyone!
    Tracy (TX)
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @RobinsEgg - You, my friend are in need of some big {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}. You have inspired me in so very many ways. Know that you would indeed be missed.
    us60yoyna1zx.jpg
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Robin~I am so glad that Lori’s post changed your mind, I literally teared up when I read you thought about leaving a group that you started and put so much into. Know that you are loved and would be missed by all. So, I’m sending you virtual hugs. :heart: I have been through so many ups and downs on this journey, honestly I'm not sure where I'd be if I didn't have this group to help keep me on track.

@Lori~Thank you for what you said about this group, I think it’s what keeps us strong—it’s very diverse. We’re all on our own journey, with different goals, but we’re all so supportive of how each of us will get there.

@Karen~I am sorry for your frustrations and disappointment in that doctor’s office and so wish there was an easier way. Glad the presentation to the union board went well, I hope the vote is in favor of the package you presented.

@Laurie~I think you deserve a rest day after your tri over the weekend. :wink:

@Holly~I am so glad to hear your son has decided he wants to attend college. I think the gift you made for your interview is a great idea; I bet there are so many kids that will benefit by such a gift. You would be an asset to the Love your Melon organization—keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that your interview(s) go well.

My Wednesday Wish is that the weather cooperates. We are in for some very strong, tornado producing storms this afternoon--I hope they aren't as bad as predicted and that the weather holds out long enough for me to get a bike ride in after work.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wednesday Wish ... that @RobinsEgg/Ellen knows how much she does mean to me and how her posts are what kept me going on this thread. I think we share an emotional ......(can't recall the word, having a 'senior moment') ... but it is a perception that is best summed up by what you said ... "no one would really miss me. That I was such a failure at keeping my weight off - that I was a bad example ...." I call it "the estrangement phenomena" because I often feel a lack of connectivity to other people myself. And, I think it comes from past trauma.

So ... I will take this moment to thank everyone who posts on here, even if there is no direct 'talk' to me ... and even if I don't make a direct 'talk' to you ... your posts help me to keep on with this and provide a sense of community that I can partake in. Cause otherwise, I am one solitary lady.
    Niki
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I ran across this article this morning, while she is significantly younger than me I could identify with her "journey" and the obstacles that she was able to overcome. I thought it might beneficial to some of you as well.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/weight-loss-win-andie-lost-135-pounds-and-gained-116654126457.html
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Earth Day!

Each year, Earth Day -- April 22 -- marks the anniversary of what many consider the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970.
    The height of hippie and flower-child culture in the United States, 1970 brought the death of Jimi Hendrix, the last Beatles album, and Simon & Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water”. Protest was the order of the day, but saving the planet was not the cause. War raged in Vietnam, and students nationwide increasingly opposed it.
    At the time, Americans were slurping leaded gas through massive V8 sedans. Industry belched out smoke and sludge with little fear of legal consequences or bad press. Air pollution was commonly accepted as the smell of prosperity. “Environment” was a word that appeared more often in spelling bees than on the evening news. Although mainstream America remained oblivious to environmental concerns, the stage had been set for change by the publication of Rachel Carson's New York Times bestseller Silent Spring in 1962. The book represented a watershed moment for the modern environmental movement, selling more than 500,000 copies in 24 countries and, up until that moment, more than any other person, Ms. Carson raised public awareness and concern for living organisms, the environment and public health.
    Earth Day 1970 capitalized on the emerging consciousness, channeling the energy of the anti-war protest movement and putting environmental concerns front and center.
    The Idea
    The idea came to Earth Day founder Gaylord Nelson, then a U.S. Senator from Wisconsin, after witnessing the ravages of the 1969 massive oil spill in Santa Barbara, California. Inspired by the student anti-war movement, he realized that if he could infuse that energy with an emerging public consciousness about air and water pollution, it would force environmental protection onto the national political agenda. Senator Nelson announced the idea for a “national teach-in on the environment” to the national media; persuaded Pete McCloskey, a conservation-minded Republican Congressman, to serve as his co-chair; and recruited Denis Hayes as national coordinator. Hayes built a national staff of 85 to promote events across the land.
    As a result, on the 22nd of April, 20 million Americans took to the streets, parks, and auditoriums to demonstrate for a healthy, sustainable environment in massive coast-to-coast rallies. Thousands of colleges and universities organized protests against the deterioration of the environment. Groups that had been fighting against oil spills, polluting factories and power plants, raw sewage, toxic dumps, pesticides, freeways, the loss of wilderness, and the extinction of wildlife suddenly realized they shared common values.
    Earth Day 1970 achieved a rare political alignment, enlisting support from Republicans and Democrats, rich and poor, city slickers and farmers, tycoons and labor leaders. The first Earth Day led to the creation of the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the passage of the Clean Air, Clean Water, and Endangered Species Acts. "It was a gamble," Gaylord recalled, "but it worked."
    As 1990 approached, a group of environmental leaders asked Denis Hayes to organize another big campaign. This time, Earth Day went global, mobilizing 200 million people in 141 countries and lifting environmental issues onto the world stage. Earth Day 1990 gave a huge boost to recycling efforts worldwide and helped pave the way for the 1992 United Nations Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro. It also prompted President Bill Clinton to award Senator Nelson the Presidential Medal of Freedom (1995) -- the highest honor given to civilians in the United States -- for his role as Earth Day founder.
    Earth Day Today
    As the millennium approached, Hayes agreed to spearhead another campaign, this time focused on global warming and a push for clean energy. With 5,000 environmental groups in a record 184 countries reaching out to hundreds of millions of people, Earth Day 2000 combined the big-picture feistiness of the first Earth Day with the international grassroots activism of Earth Day 1990. It used the Internet to organize activists, but also featured a talking drum chain that traveled from village to village in Gabon, Africa, and hundreds of thousands of people gathered on the National Mall in Washington, DC. Earth Day 2000 sent world leaders the loud and clear message that citizens around the world wanted quick and decisive action on clean energy.
    Much like 1970, Earth Day 2010 came at a time of great challenge for the environmental community. Climate change deniers, well-funded oil lobbyists, reticent politicians, a disinterested public, and a divided environmental community all contributed to a strong narrative that overshadowed the cause of progress and change. In spite of the challenge, for its 40th anniversary, Earth Day Network reestablished Earth Day as a powerful focal point around which people could demonstrate their commitment. Earth Day Network brought 225,000 people to the National Mall for a Climate Rally, amassed 40 million environmental service actions toward its 2012 goal of A Billion Acts of Green®, launched an international, 1-million tree planting initiative with Avatar director James Cameron and tripled its online base to over 900,000 community members.
    The fight for a clean environment continues in a climate of increasing urgency, as the ravages of climate change become more manifest every day. We invite you to be a part of Earth Day and help write many more victories and successes into our history. Discover energy you didn't even know you had. Feel it rumble through the grassroots under your feet and the technology at your fingertips. Channel it into building a clean, healthy, diverse world for generations to come.

When you feel dog tired at night, it may be because you've growled all day long. ~Author Unknown

Tom
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    @RobinsEgg I also am glad you changed your mind. YOU are the one that nurtured this group into what it is, in my opinion. A loving, nonjudgmental, sharing, faithful, extended family. You know I slipped off the wagon many times but I know this group will take me back under its wing and push me in the right direction again. Where else could I get that? I think your work/guidance/example have make this group last so long. I think the ground rules are in place here, we support each other and lend an ear to our daily problems and achievements.
    I surely don’t want to pressure you to stay if it is not in your future but sure would miss you.
  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Uggg jumped back in and the next day started domino style stomach bug in our house. Everyone else is mostly recovered I'm still suffering a bit. I've been logging everyday though (easy when crackers, bananas, toast and gingerale are your diet) and getting angry messages from mfp about my calories levels. I was supposed to start a fitness challenge at the y with some friends but I'm not sure if I'll make it tonight. Hopefully I can sign up late.
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    WOW! What a series of posts. I have been reading all along, but have said nothing and like Robin was on the verge of just giving up. I start each day by logging breakfast (185 days in a row now) and then die out. No Niki style "follow through". I guess I have just been bummed out. I have had some good friends die, another is seriously ill. 5 funerals since September is just a bit many for me....I am old, but THAT old? That we had snow showers yesterday didn't help!
    After reading all the posts today, and actually seeing a different dear friend is doing MFP again, though not on this thread, I am going to rethink all of this dropping out stuff. So many of you have come so far; I know it is a possibility. So many things have changed this winter; maybe this tread is the "constant" that I need to keep me going.
    Thanks everyone for all the honesty and posts. Maybe next time I will do personals.
    Barb
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    @Niki Thanks for the nudge.
  • KarinaGeneva
    KarinaGeneva Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @cblue315 -- Thanks for that quote. It made me smile, and it's SO TRUE!

@RobinsEgg -- Thanks for sticking with this thread. I'm new here, and I don't know anyone well -- yet -- but it's such an inspiring, welcoming, SAFE place to come for support and motivation. Even though I'm new and fairly quiet, it's a comfort to check in (almost on a daily basis) and know there's a place to post if I need to connect with others on similar journeys.

@kah68 -- Good luck with the painting! My bedroom and master bath are predominantly plum gray and I LOVE them. Bliss!

On a personal note -- I just broke back into the 200s for the first time in a while. Here's to keeping the 300s away forever! Many of us struggle with the yo-yo curse in dieting. I'm hoping that my new attitude of focusing on strict healthful eating (for health and not just weight loss) versus strictly measuring calories will help me make this a successful lifetime endeavor. So far, so good. My 18-y-o son is supportive in his own way by not being vocally-critical of our new eats, my husband happily supports the family's new meal plans, and my 15-y-o daughter is enthusiastically embracing the new foods! How lucky I am to have their support.

And how lucky I am to have found this thread for the extra support and motivation when I need it!