Embarrased..

Options

Replies

• miissalexandria
    miissalexandria Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I totally tripped over bench in the weights section of the gym today. I chose to ignore it though, didn't look around and hoped no one else noticed. I continued with my weights then cardio, but inside I totally wanted to laugh at myself.
  • englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I also wear headphones and listen to my fave music, no one bothers the person lip syncing

THIS. That's me, too.

I almost started singing out loud when I first started, too much karaoke previously I suppose lol
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, unless you choose to work out in the privacy of your own home, you're just going to have to get over the feeling. Believe me, I know exactly how you feel. I run around my neighborhood and workout in the gym.

At the gym, I notice people noticing me, lol! I catch their eyes in the mirrors but I just shrug it off because it's something every gym goer does. While it bugs me, I try to tell myself that they're looking because I'm either motivating them or they have nothing better to do.

I totally looked at another chick in the weight room today as she was busting out her lateral raises - man, was I impressed with her strength and speed! So, all that to say, most times people look because they are admiring you and your dedication to fitness or because you are committing some gym faux pas not because you look funny.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I don't think about it except that "wow I wish I could run right now as well!" I don't really pay any mind to anyone when I am working out and chances are no one is paying me any mind either.
  • lloftus723
    lloftus723 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys (and gals). Knowing how others think makes me feel a little better. I appreciate the help. :)
  • ValkyriesCharge
    ValkyriesCharge Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I won't even use the treadmill at the gym because my running is so loud! LOL! What am I doing wrong? I just stick to the elliptical.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Don't worry [...] your workout is for you.

^ This.

While this might not be true for the OP's case, in my own once-upon-a-time I succumbed to this fear / concern/ embarrassment and let it stop me from getting on with getting right. Of course there's nothing to it, it's just another **excuse**.

I'm guilty of this but no longer will I buy my own b.s. excuses.

Besides, no one worth a damn thinks about the person running past them except to either mentally cheer them on, or wish they were doing it too.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I got dizzy once ( I didn't know it at the time but was actually having an adverse reaction to a pre workout drink ) so anyway my trainer told me to keep jogging on the treadmill even after I mentioned that I was dizzy. So I went on for another minute but then knew I had to stop, no matter what he said . so I hit the emergency stop button and flew off the treadmill in front of everyone in the packed gym.
    Guess what, not many people even noticed or cared. They are there doing their own thing so aren't worried about what others are doing..
    The same applies for outdoor workouts. People are way too wrapped up with their own lives and issues to even notice you running.

I was embarrassed then but quickly realized a few things, 1 listen to my body always
    2 get a new trainer ( lol )
    3 and people aren't really paying attention to what I'm doing they could care less!! So there's no reason to ever be ashamed or embarrassed about working out.

Everyone started some where and nobody is perfect
  • lloftus723
    Options
    I get what you are saying, but mine is more anxiety related. I can't go to the grocery store without a pep talk, and a racing heart. Something about being in public that gets to me. But knowing others could care less if I run on by is something I can remember while doing so.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    When I see someout out running, I dont notice them any more than I would someone walking their dog or pulling out of their driveway...just, people noise.

BUT If I notice someone who is our running or even doing a walk and they look like they're struggling, I do notice... cause I start thinking of how they are out there getting it done even though they are having a hard time at it, and Im inspired to get my butt in gear. My thought goes straight to how I need to get through the hard part too instead of finding excuses not to.

Which sort of come back around to...when you think people are judging you...they arent...they are too busy thinking of themselves. I saw a clip awhile back that was so true...we are the main character in the play that is our lives, to the people in our lives we are a supporting character, but to complete strangers, we are just the extras. So dont ever worry that some passerby has you as the main character in the play that is their life.

Kinda takes the load off eh? :blush:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I totally tripped over bench in the weights section of the gym today. I chose to ignore it though, didn't look around and hoped no one else noticed. I continued with my weights then cardio, but inside I totally wanted to laugh at myself.

I've also tripped over a plate in the weight room and fell to the floor ! It made a loud crashing sound . guess what, nobody even probably noticed. These things happen everyday:)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I crapped myself during a two mile race. Doesn’t get much worse than that. I just make sure I go before I push myself running or in the gym.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't worry too much about it all. I wear headphones. I'm kind of a freak so I do get stared at a decent amount, it used to really bother me. Now I revel in the stares
  • lloftus723
    Options
    I crapped myself during a two mile race. Doesn’t get much worse than that. I just make sure I go before I push myself running or in the gym.

:open_mouth: what did you do?
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above, although I do admit that a couple of times when I've been in a particularly bad head space I have driven to a car park and run somewhere I am less likely to meet people I know!
    As for public embarrassment i have pretty much done it all - fallen over my own feet, walked into a lamp post, been chased by cows, vomited, panic attack, spilt my water so looks like i've wet myself and arrived at the gym in a hyperthermic state and ended up been put in their sauna (in my coat!) to thaw out! And yet i'm still allowed out in public, and perhaps more surprisingly into my gym! Stuff happens, to some of us more than most, but happens to everyone. And the thing is, even if you run like Pheobe, you are out there doing it, and that is whats important!

STAR!!!! GOLD MEDAL? To vomit, be chased by cows and be shoved in the sauna??? That takes some beating....just hope just not all on one day, samthepanda........

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    lloftus723 wrote: »
    I get what you are saying, but mine is more anxiety related. I can't go to the grocery store without a pep talk, and a racing heart. Something about being in public that gets to me. But knowing others could care less if I run on by is something I can remember while doing so.

A big hug for you. <3 Anxiety is difficult. You're at least trying to work through it and that takes a lot of courage.
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    I saw a clip awhile back that was so true...we are the main character in the play that is our lives, to the people in our lives we are a supporting character, but to complete strangers, we are just the extras. So dont ever worry that some passerby has you as the main character in the play that is their life.

I really, really love this. It's so true. I may even (OK, that's a lie, I know I will at some point) borrow this.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

:open_mouth: what did you do?

Yes. Yes he did.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Chased by a cow?!? Hahaha how does that happen? Sorry I found that funny. I live in Iowa and have never experienced that. Now I will be on the lookout. I wish I had someone like you to workout with. Sounds like fun!

It's seldom dull in my world! The cows are sometimes grazing by the river near where I run or cycle, and just occasionally get annoyed. More scary was when I was in a charity ride in rural Ireland with 4000 others and a farmer took his cows down the road we were on for milking - narrow road, sharp bend, lots of cyclists on wet road suddenly faced with 40 cows coming towards us! They were very freaked - and so was I! Race was held up for 10 mins while people herded them down the road!
    Keep smiling x
  • lloftus723
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

A big hug for you. <3 Anxiety is difficult. You're at least trying to work through it and that takes a lot of courage.
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    I saw a clip awhile back that was so true...we are the main character in the play that is our lives, to the people in our lives we are a supporting character, but to complete strangers, we are just the extras. So dont ever worry that some passerby has you as the main character in the play that is their life.

I really, really love this. It's so true. I may even (OK, that's a lie, I know I will at some point) borrow this.

Thank you I appreciate that. Its not fun but its something I definitely need to get over. I don't even know why I am like that. I am working on it though, and all of the comments give me something to think about when I start to worry.

And I also love love that last part as well!!!

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I channel my inner Phoebe and go to the park before most people are out of bed. I wear a ipod and I sing my heart out as I get my 5-6 miles in. I get to witness the sunrise every morning. Most mornings my son joins me but when he is away on business I go it alone. Our park is next to the fire station and is also part of our K9 units agility course. I feel safe out there.