Essential oils for weight loss

Options
Hello friends!!!
Does anyone use essential oils for weight loss? Which ones work the best and how do you use them?
I know lemon, grapefruit, and peppermint are the ones people use the most, however any information anyone has will be helpful. Thanks for your time!

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Pretty much.... Nope....there really isnt any magic potion or oils that make you lose weight. Make this your mantra.... Burn more than you eat.... The kicker is how to do this.
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    There are unfortunately no magic weight loss foods, so they won't help you with weight loss. The only thing that will is a calorie deficit. If you enjoy using them in your cooking, however, there's no harm in it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Just another money-grab, I'm afraid! If you like them, use them for pleasure but they will not assist weight loss.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yes, I supplement. But there's nothing magic about them, I'm just using them to supplement a protein-heavy diet.
  • may2490
    may2490 Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have heard a lot about essentials oils, and many people swear by them. They have seemed to have popped out of thin air on my facebook-- crazy! From my own research I have done, there doesn't seem to be any real evidence that actually proves any of their claims. Peppermint Oil is "supposed" to aid w/ digestion (which can then help w/ your consumption of food, therefore helping w/ weight maintenance but I wouldn't say it is a weight loss tool in itself. <<< again, no proof that it does, just anecdotes of people - meaning the results aren't constant. It also has medicinal use -- that I will be more inclined to believe.

I only commented on peppermint essential oil, as that is the only one I have heard of out of the three you mentioned, that has any real merit in weight loss---though again, it's only speculation.

I have used essential oils on my skin to help w/ elasticity and stretch marks, which makes me feel better about myself:)

As far as weight loss, I agree with the previous responses. Keep track of your intake of foods-- not just calories. Not all calories are the same. Be sure to workout. There are many, many, many various forms of exercise that can be done to help you along on your journey. You just have to take the first step. There are many good tools, apps, and people on the site here that can help.

Hope that helps! Sorry it was long.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Hello friends!!!
    Does anyone use essential oils for weight loss? Which ones work the best and how do you use them?
    I know lemon, grapefruit, and peppermint are the ones people use the most, however any information anyone has will be helpful. Thanks for your time!

They work about the same as snake oil.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    We have enough trouble getting the macro oils right. Get the macros under control in portion and proportion and THEN you will be ready to talk micro.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    The only oil I deem essential is olive oil.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Most essential oils are not meant for internal use and can be harmful, if not fatal if ingested.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

+100.

:smile:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

+100.

Sesame oil is pretty essential for a good Thai or Vietnamese salad.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Why not lose weight the way everyone else is on this site i.e being at a calorific deficit. If you want to use essential oils then id suggest you go and find some research from a decent source that backs up its usefulness before spending any money.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hello friends!!!

Why would an essential oil help you lose weight?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

+100.

Sesame oil is pretty essential for a good Thai or Vietnamese salad.

True that. It was the spirit of Lenny's post, in context with the intro post's question, that I'm applauding.

Now I'm craving a salad. Thanks man!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hello friends!!!

Why would an essential oil help you lose weight?

Because you get people who peddle stuff like this http://www.grassfedgirl.com/6-essential-oils-for-weight-loss/ and people who wnat to believe it.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm a fan of Castrol 10w30, myself.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Also 'essential oils' are not to be ingested....if you are going to try oils and things, most definitely don't buy essential oils. They are for burning only!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Also 'essential oils' are not to be ingested....if you are going to try oils and things, most definitely don't buy essential oils. They are for burning only!

Or mixing with a massage oil carrier .. yaknow for dem nice smellz and feelz
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Or mixing with a massage oil carrier .. yaknow for dem nice smellz and feelz

Yep, all them nice smellz and feelz!

I was once using cinnamon essential oil for something and forgot to use a carrier....burned my hands and left me with a bright red rash everywhere (and on my face, as I had touched my face with my hands). Right before my high school prom too. It was a sexy look :p

• Elaneor
    Elaneor Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Actually, as far as I know, inhaling some essential oils can help you to calm the appetite. But always use it in your lamp with basis oil (3 drops of oil is okay). You can even make baths with essential oil (3 drops of oil on the 2-3 spoons of the sea salt is a good deal).
    For example:
    • grapefruit helps with overeating and stress
    • peppermint increases motivation and calms the appetite
    • cinnamon helps to improve the immune system
    • and so on (i suppose citrus oils are one of the best here - they tone up, calm appetite and give you better mood)
    And beware that some of them (like citrus) may cause photosensitivity to the sun if you use it on skin (with massage oils).
    Proper usage of essential oils can help you eat less (but still counting and your own work really matter).