Options

Replies

• DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hello friends!!!
    Does anyone use essential oils for weight loss? Which ones work the best and how do you use them?
    I know lemon, grapefruit, and peppermint are the ones people use the most, however any information anyone has will be helpful. Thanks for your time!

Why would an essential oil help you lose weight?

Because you get people who peddle stuff like this http://www.grassfedgirl.com/6-essential-oils-for-weight-loss/ and people who wnat to believe it.

You almost have to wonder if she actually believes that crap.
    How to use:
    1- Daily rubbing and massaging lemon essential oil to the cellulite areas helps to eliminate toxins and waste that are stored in the fat cells. Ridding the body of these toxins will make it thinner and healthier as well.
    2- Adding 1 to 2 drops of lemon essential oil in the drinking water before breakfast will have a gentle detoxifying effect on the body.
    3- You can also inhale or diffuse lemon essential oil before meals.
    Rubbing lemon oil on the skin to purge toxins? Really?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »
    kampshoff wrote: »
    rgoins374 wrote: »
    Essential oils marked "Essential Oil Supplement" are safe for consumption. I use a drop or two of lemon essential oil in my water with cucumbers. I cannot use lemon slice because the acid is hard on my kidneys and bladder.

Does the FDA regulate the labeling of such oils?

The FDA only regulates them in the sense that they can send a warning letter when they think a company is making unfounded claims (which they have done to doTERRA and Young Living when they claimed their oils could prevent Ebola, for example). But I don't think they test them to ensure they are safe for consumption.

That would be up to the company to determine. Any consumer who was harmed could presumably seek civil relief. Before consuming these, I would carefully consider how truthful and ethical these companies have been in the past when they stand a chance to make money.

[incredulity intensifies]

It's just a "logical" extension of claims that they have anti-viral properties. Whenever you hear people claiming that their favorite brand of woo will make you immune to the cold or whatever because it kills viruses, it's just a short jump to claims that it will be a miracle cure for Ebola, AIDS, etc.

These two companies just had "consultants" who made that leap from the company's own promotional materials and began telling people the oils would offer Ebola protection.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mnitzka9lE1qd438eo1_400.gif
  • DaveinSK
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I have had great success staying well since I began using essential oils about 2 years ago. Since that time I have had 3 hospital stays, one of which was 17 days following a full spinal fusion (T5 all the way down). I took my oils with me each time and did not contract any infections or other bad bugs from the hospital. I had an abdominal incision, an incision on my left side in addition to the large one on my back. Oils mixed with carrier oils have been instrumental in my body's recovery.

This is just my story and I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone or tout oils as a cure for ebola. I just trust natural things rather than pharmaceuticals because there are far fewer side effects for me.

So like what, less than 1% (guessing, no source to back up that number) of people contract an infection from a hospital stay (I mean, they do try to be fairly sterile, and all)...but surely it was the magic voo-doo oil that prevented it right?

Dear God I weep for humanity...

Why? The stuff obviously works. People give me crap about putting kittie litter in my morning coffee as well, but I haven't been attacked by a single tiger since I started. Works for me.
  • DaveinSK
    Options
    My daughter broke her leg last year. The doctor put it in a cast and gave her crutches to walk to keep the weight off it.

During the same time frame, she was taking piano lessons.

Clearly the piano lessons were instrumental (no pun intended) in healing her broken leg.

I don't believe a word of that.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »

Why? The stuff obviously works.

WAT?
    People give me crap about putting kittie litter in my morning coffee as well, but I haven't been attacked by a single tiger since I started. Works for me.

200_s.gif
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have had great success staying well since I began using essential oils about 2 years ago. Since that time I have had 3 hospital stays, one of which was 17 days following a full spinal fusion (T5 all the way down). I took my oils with me each time and did not contract any infections or other bad bugs from the hospital. I had an abdominal incision, an incision on my left side in addition to the large one on my back. Oils mixed with carrier oils have been instrumental in my body's recovery.

This is just my story and I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone or tout oils as a cure for ebola. I just trust natural things rather than pharmaceuticals because there are far fewer side effects for me.

So you didn't take any pharmaceuticals during your hospital stays?

Of course I did. Can you imagine spinal surgery without them? I was taking about in general. Of course, I did stop taking the pain meds pretty quickly according to my surgeon.

My daughter broke her leg last year. The doctor put it in a cast and gave her crutches to walk to keep the weight off it.

Clearly the piano lessons were instrumental (no pun intended) in healing her broken leg.

I'm gonna guess she also didn't get Ebola during that time frame. How do I know?

I took piano lessons as a child and it has given me an immunity to Ebola that has lasted long into adulthood.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

So like what, less than 1% (guessing, no source to back up that number) of people contract an infection from a hospital stay (I mean, they do try to be fairly sterile, and all)...but surely it was the magic voo-doo oil that prevented it right?

Dear God I weep for humanity...

Why? The stuff obviously works. People give me crap about putting kittie litter in my morning coffee as well, but I haven't been attacked by a single tiger since I started. Works for me.

It's not so much the tigers, but the chupacabras you have to watch out for.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

I don't believe a word of that.

guilty as charged
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Double post.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

So you didn't take any pharmaceuticals during your hospital stays?

Of course I did. Can you imagine spinal surgery without them? I was taking about in general. Of course, I did stop taking the pain meds pretty quickly according to my surgeon.

I'm gonna guess she also didn't get Ebola during that time frame. How do I know?

I took piano lessons as a child and it has given me an immunity to Ebola that has lasted long into adulthood.

Uh oh...I never took piano lessons....

I NEED SOME TEA TREE OIL...STAT!
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Essential oils cause crucifixion
  • sup3rb3ast
    sup3rb3ast Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have heard of using tea tree oil and peppermint oil as a topical to help with skin and hair issues, such as cold sores, fungi, lice etc. I have actually used tea tree oil to get rid of a small patch of skin fungus on my bra line (too much sweaty working out haha). As for weight loss, or anything that includes ingesting, I don't think the evidence is there. Also have you smelled those things, or put them on your skin before? I would not be ingesting that, ever. They are quite potent, and some of them burn the skin if not diluted. I can't imagine any use they would have in terms of weight loss.
  • DaveinSK
    Options
    Essential oils cause crucifixion

He did lose a lot of weight though.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    Just like the Virgin Mary, this thread delivers.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm officially adding "it was present at the nativity, so it must be true" and also "it worked for Jesus" to my bingo sheet.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Essential oils for weight loss = total BS. Don't waste your money. That's based on plain ol' logic, not personal experience.
  • SGreen134
    SGreen134 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I enjoy essential oils for relaxing, helping with certain symptoms for colds/flu, etc but I'm no longer an advocate of consuming them. When I first started everyone was saying eo's are fine to consume but the more I read about them the more I am staying away from that. But diffusing lavender at night, game on.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    People always looking for quick weight loss!! LOL
  • asjt678
    asjt678 Posts: 60 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »

I'm just going to leave this here: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/22/wellness-gurus-belle-gibson-pseudoscience

What's your point?

My point is that "natural" cures are mostly woo perpetuated by so-called "wellness gurus" who don't actually know anything.

I don't know anything about essential oils but will say that some natural, Dr. Oz type stuff has worked for me. I used to suffer with about 5-10 migraines a month. I didn't have enough to get prescription medication. I was taking Excedrin migraines like they were tic tacs. I watched Dr. Oz one day and he recommended ginger tea. I also found some breathing exercises. Since, then I have bought maybe 3 bottles of Excedrin Migraine tops. That was in 2009 or 2010. And I really only buy it for when I am on the go or I can't make my tea right away.

If you can find something that is natural to help you, then fine. But I don't think an oil will make anyone lose weight. I just don't want all natural remedies to be dismissed. Many natural cures have been around for thousands of years and have helped people. When modern medicine is necessary or in this case, eating at a deficit and maybe some exercise, you should use it. I think it all boils down to common sense.