Essential oils for weight loss

Options

Replies

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Dr. Oz...

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/columbia-and-the-problem-of-dr-oz
    “You may think that magic is make-believe,” Oz said at the beginning of one typical show. “But this little bean has scientists saying they have found a magic weight-loss cure for every body type. It’s green coffee beans, and, when turned into a supplement, this miracle pill can burn fat fast. This is very exciting. And it’s breaking news.” After Oz discussed green coffee beans on his show, several companies sold tens of millions of dollars worth of the supplement. This phenomenon has become known as the “Oz effect.” The Federal Trade Commission subsequently sued the companies for false and deceptive advertising. In January, the man behind two of the companies agreed to pay back customers nine million dollars.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rgoins374 wrote: »
    I have had great success staying well since I began using essential oils about 2 years ago. Since that time I have had 3 hospital stays, one of which was 17 days following a full spinal fusion (T5 all the way down). I took my oils with me each time and did not contract any infections or other bad bugs from the hospital. I had an abdominal incision, an incision on my left side in addition to the large one on my back. Oils mixed with carrier oils have been instrumental in my body's recovery.

This is just my story and I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone or tout oils as a cure for ebola. I just trust natural things rather than pharmaceuticals because there are far fewer side effects for me.

So you didn't take any pharmaceuticals during your hospital stays?

Of course I did. Can you imagine spinal surgery without them? I was taking about in general. Of course, I did stop taking the pain meds pretty quickly according to my surgeon.

So you do trust pharmaceuticals, you just prefer to add essential oils in addition to them.

Meanwhile, as @ceoverturf pointed out, most people who have hospital stays don't get infections due to their stay (I believe the most recent data for the US shows 1 in 25 get an infection). And they probably aren't using essential oils.

So this is a classic flaw in logic right here.

Whatever. I was just sharing my experiences with essential oils. Of course, 2 of the 3 gifts of the Wise Men were what?

Wise men gifts have... exactly what to do with this?

I didn't think it had to be broken down: exposure to essential oils in childhood will allow one to grow up to redeem the entire human race from the consequences of their alienation from their creator.

And don't trust big pharma.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    asjt678 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I have had great success staying well since I began using essential oils about 2 years ago. Since that time I have had 3 hospital stays, one of which was 17 days following a full spinal fusion (T5 all the way down). I took my oils with me each time and did not contract any infections or other bad bugs from the hospital. I had an abdominal incision, an incision on my left side in addition to the large one on my back. Oils mixed with carrier oils have been instrumental in my body's recovery.

This is just my story and I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone or tout oils as a cure for ebola. I just trust natural things rather than pharmaceuticals because there are far fewer side effects for me.

I'm just going to leave this here: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/22/wellness-gurus-belle-gibson-pseudoscience

What's your point?

My point is that "natural" cures are mostly woo perpetuated by so-called "wellness gurus" who don't actually know anything.

I don't know anything about essential oils but will say that some natural, Dr. Oz type stuff has worked for me. I used to suffer with about 5-10 migraines a month. I didn't have enough to get prescription medication. I was taking Excedrin migraines like they were tic tacs. I watched Dr. Oz one day and he recommended ginger tea. I also found some breathing exercises. Since, then I have bought maybe 3 bottles of Excedrin Migraine tops. That was in 2009 or 2010. And I really only buy it for when I am on the go or I can't make my tea right away.

If you can find something that is natural to help you, then fine. But I don't think an oil will make anyone lose weight. I just don't want all natural remedies to be dismissed. Many natural cures have been around for thousands of years and have helped people. When modern medicine is necessary or in this case, eating at a deficit and maybe some exercise, you should use it. I think it all boils down to common sense.

Common sense indicates to me that you are unnecessarily buying and drinking a lot of ginger tea. I hope you enjoy the taste.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Of course I did. Can you imagine spinal surgery without them? I was taking about in general. Of course, I did stop taking the pain meds pretty quickly according to my surgeon.

So you do trust pharmaceuticals, you just prefer to add essential oils in addition to them.

Meanwhile, as @ceoverturf pointed out, most people who have hospital stays don't get infections due to their stay (I believe the most recent data for the US shows 1 in 25 get an infection). And they probably aren't using essential oils.

Whatever. I was just sharing my experiences with essential oils. Of course, 2 of the 3 gifts of the Wise Men were what?

I'll take the gold!
  • asjt678
    asjt678 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »

I'm just going to leave this here: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/22/wellness-gurus-belle-gibson-pseudoscience

What's your point?

My point is that "natural" cures are mostly woo perpetuated by so-called "wellness gurus" who don't actually know anything.

I don't know anything about essential oils but will say that some natural, Dr. Oz type stuff has worked for me. I used to suffer with about 5-10 migraines a month. I didn't have enough to get prescription medication. I was taking Excedrin migraines like they were tic tacs. I watched Dr. Oz one day and he recommended ginger tea. I also found some breathing exercises. Since, then I have bought maybe 3 bottles of Excedrin Migraine tops. That was in 2009 or 2010. And I really only buy it for when I am on the go or I can't make my tea right away.

If you can find something that is natural to help you, then fine. But I don't think an oil will make anyone lose weight. I just don't want all natural remedies to be dismissed. Many natural cures have been around for thousands of years and have helped people. When modern medicine is necessary or in this case, eating at a deficit and maybe some exercise, you should use it. I think it all boils down to common sense.

Common sense indicates to me that you are unnecessarily buying and drinking a lot of ginger tea. I hope you enjoy the taste.

Its cheaper than Excedrin and better on the liver. Boom!

• ascrit
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

I'll take the gold!

I like the way myrrh is spelled.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »

What's your point?

Its cheaper than Excedrin and better on the liver. Boom!

Not buying the tea at all would certainly be cheaper than both other options.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ascrit wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »

I'll take the gold!

I like the way myrrh is spelled.

Gold star for you sir...that got a chuckle out of me
  • ascrit
    edited April 2015
    Options

What's your point?

This was my point about the frankincense and myrrh before everyone started with the rude comments. BTW, some peppermint essential oil on your temples and back of the neck have relieved my migraines.

I do not understand how it's rude of me to ask what the connection between wise men and the usefulness of essential oils is. I'm not Christian, and this isn't a board about religion so I was not getting your point.

Just that they have been around for thousands of years.

What does this have to do with whether or not they will prevent infections?

Stonehenge cured my yeast infection. NO ONE DISPUTES THIS.

• raychella13
    raychella13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I put lemon oil in my water, lost 5lbs in 3 days, because it gave me diarrhea! Not the weight loss aid i was looking for. If that's what detoxing is, then it worked. Lol!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    pdj4witlk306.jpg

I think these girls use them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »

What's your point?

This was my point about the frankincense and myrrh before everyone started with the rude comments. BTW, some peppermint essential oil on your temples and back of the neck have relieved my migraines.

I do not understand how it's rude of me to ask what the connection between wise men and the usefulness of essential oils is. I'm not Christian, and this isn't a board about religion so I was not getting your point.

So has arsenic

Hemlock! Lead to treat various ailments! Eye of newt!

And I still don't know why the medical establishment continues to deny the ancient wisdom of trepanning to eliminate demons! It's been around for thousands of years.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of yoga, and if you hang around in that community for any length of time you will read a lot about essential oils, detoxes, etc. I respect people's right to make themselves feel better by doing things that make them feel good, but just because a 'therapy' gave you a positive feeling doesn't mean it's actually a remedy. Positive emotions and a good mental state are invaluable, but they are not actually a reliable indicator of physical health. A lot of these beliefs are harmless, or can be used to reinforce good habits, but don't confuse them with actual, objective, traceable medicine.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

What's your point?

So has arsenic

No fair posting my recipe for detox banana bread without my permission :'(
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options

748317791f39f558e07adec7f3341a9f.jpg
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    No!!! Just No! Just eat right and drink more water and you will be doing everything you need to... the only thing that will be slimmer by using EO's is your wallet/bank account rather than your waist line.
  • 07of09
    07of09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about essential oils and weight loss, but I do know some external purposes that I personally use some essential oils for - namely tea tree oil to help clear acne and peppermint oil mixed with water (so a ratio of 1:10 peppermint oil/water) and put in a spray bottle actually works for a few things : if you have any rodent/insect problems in your house/apartment, it works well for that as a natural deterrent. It also helps with dry scalp and dandruff.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVS_zG4a1ag