Soda how long can you go without it?

Options

Replies

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    Aspartame what is it ? Can someone spread some knowledge

Aspartame is an artificial sweetener they put in drinks and foods. It is known to cause symptoms that mimic that of Multiple Sclerosis. It can cause weight gain and that's why lots of soda drinkers gain weight. It is even in the artificial sweetener some put in their tea/coffee instead of sugar.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/10/23/aspartame-artificial-sweeteners.aspx
    http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
    http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/goodfood/pages/the-truth-about-aspartame.aspx

See for yourself. Me personally, I try as much to avoid it. Its ironic, diet drinks are supposed to be healthier yet the are packed with aspartame which is NOT good for us at all.
    NJbabe wrote: »
    I used to drink Diet Coke or Coke Zero. (The regular one was too sweet for me.)

I've been drinking natural sparkling water for a while now. I also pick natural flavored sparkling water on occasion. It's sooooo much better for you. ;)

Artificial sweeteners (found in diet sodas) are known to trigger insulin. And that sends your body into fat storage mode which in turn leads to weight gain. It also causes tooth erosion over time. It's long-term consumption is also linked to type 2 diabetes, headaches, depression and so on.

If you simply like and crave the fizziness - try drinking sparkling water instead.

Reading this might also help:

http://www.trueactivist.com/what-happens-to-our-body-after-drinking-coca-cola/

And this too:

http://www.rodalenews.com/facts-about-soda?page=1

Now, that the quack science is out of the way, please read the links provided in this thread. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary

Oh thank God. I was hoping someone would point out how much of a quack Mercola and a couple of the other sites are.

Personally, I've had periods of time where I've drank diet/zero calorie sodas and periods of time where I nixed soda all together.

I didn't feel any different when I gave up drinking the diet/zero calorie stuff than I do currently when I drink - on average - two sodas a day.

Also, I enjoy throwing some Captain in with diet coke... or Sprite (Zero) and vodka with a twist of lime.

But seriously... you can pry my Coke Zero from my cold, dead hands.
  • jcarland11
    jcarland11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is not any better than regular soda my friends....
    Here is an article from the Buffalo News, I suggest you all read it if you are currently a diet soda junkie.

Kick your diet soda habit for good
    on March 7, 2015 - 12:01 AM

You kicked your regular soda habit, and now you’re sitting on cloud nine. But if that cloud is made of diet soda – a replacement for the real thing – you may have just created new problems.

Switching from regular to diet soda may offer a short-term cut in calories, but your body won’t be fooled for long. Research suggests it reacts to certain non-nutritive foods, including the artificial sweeteners in diet soda, in ways that may harm your health.

Here are three reasons to kick your diet soda habit for good:

1 – “Diet” soda is associated with weight gain. Current research suggests that the brain reacts to artificial sweeteners much like it does to sugary sweets. Ingesting them frequently may result in an increased desire for high-calorie foods such as sugary treats, putting you at greater risk of both weight gain and consumption of low-nutrient-density foods.

One study found that overweight people who switched to diet soda were more likely to consume more calories in food than overweight individuals who drank regular soda. Further, those who drank diet soda had a higher BMI than their counterparts. And other research has suggested that the rise in diet soda consumption correlates with increases in our weight as a nation.

2 – Diet soda may cause insulin confusion. The brain normally associates “sweet” with calories. In the realm of human physiology, that’s a good thing. It drives your body to release insulin as sugar’s chaperone to the cells to create fuel. In the past, people assumed that this process could not occur when we consume artificial sweeteners because calories don’t follow the sweet flavor.

However, a 2013 study found that the process could very well happen. In the study, individuals who consumed a specific artificial sweetener (sucralose) had increases in both insulin and blood glucose levels. Further research is needed, but the findings were significant. Why? Because frequent rises in insulin have been linked to insulin resistance and an increased risk of Type 2 diabetes.

3 – Diet soda may change your brain’s reaction to sweetness. A 2012 study compared MRI results in college students who drank diet soda – averaging at least eight servings per week – with those who drank regular cola.

Both groups activated similar reward areas in the brain. But students who drank the most diet cola each week had the least amount of activity in an area of the brain associated with the desire to consume “palatable” foods – often those high in fat and sugar.

Quitting a habit is never easy. But we recommend kicking soda all the way, whether it’s regular or diet. Doing so can have profound effects on both your weight and your health.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    jcarland11 wrote: »
    Here is an article from the Buffalo News, I suggest you all read it if you are currently a diet soda junkie.

You kicked your regular soda habit, and now you’re sitting on cloud nine. But if that cloud is made of diet soda – a replacement for the real thing – you may have just created new problems.

Switching from regular to diet soda may offer a short-term cut in calories, but your body won’t be fooled for long. Research suggests it reacts to certain non-nutritive foods, including the artificial sweeteners in diet soda, in ways that may harm your health.

1 – “Diet” soda is associated with weight gain. Current research suggests that the brain reacts to artificial sweeteners much like it does to sugary sweets. Ingesting them frequently may result in an increased desire for high-calorie foods such as sugary treats, putting you at greater risk of both weight gain and consumption of low-nutrient-density foods.

One study found that overweight people who switched to diet soda were more likely to consume more calories in food than overweight individuals who drank regular soda. Further, those who drank diet soda had a higher BMI than their counterparts. And other research has suggested that the rise in diet soda consumption correlates with increases in our weight as a nation.

2 – Diet soda may cause insulin confusion. The brain normally associates “sweet” with calories. In the realm of human physiology, that’s a good thing. It drives your body to release insulin as sugar’s chaperone to the cells to create fuel. In the past, people assumed that this process could not occur when we consume artificial sweeteners because calories don’t follow the sweet flavor.

However, a 2013 study found that the process could very well happen. In the study, individuals who consumed a specific artificial sweetener (sucralose) had increases in both insulin and blood glucose levels. Further research is needed, but the findings were significant. Why? Because frequent rises in insulin have been linked to insulin resistance and an increased risk of Type 2 diabetes.

3 – Diet soda may change your brain’s reaction to sweetness. A 2012 study compared MRI results in college students who drank diet soda – averaging at least eight servings per week – with those who drank regular cola.

Both groups activated similar reward areas in the brain. But students who drank the most diet cola each week had the least amount of activity in an area of the brain associated with the desire to consume “palatable” foods – often those high in fat and sugar.

Quitting a habit is never easy. But we recommend kicking soda all the way, whether it’s regular or diet. Doing so can have profound effects on both your weight and your health.

So I went to actual article in the hopes of finding the actual sources the poorly written copy-and-paste article quotes; however, am unable to find any. Could you post or link to some actual scientific journal findings to back up these claims?
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I rarely have fizzy drinks. I mostly drink water and always have done. Occasionally if I'm out having a meal I will have some 7Up or Diet Coke but it's not often. I just find it too gassy as doesn't quench my thirst like water does.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Sure it is. Reasons I don't drink sugary soda: (1) I hate the way it tastes (syrupy) and (2) lots of calories and not filling. Ways in which diet soda is better: (1) tastes better (from my perspective) and (2) no calories.

I don't drink diet soda to replace regular--I haven't had regular since I was 16 other than on accident and I never want it.

I'm also not a diet soda junkie (I do drink it sometimes, but mostly I'm a coffee junkie, and I admit it), but what the heck, I'll respond.

Not true, or at least overstated. It might affect some people that way, but experiment and see. It has zero effect on my desire for sugary foods.

That some people compensate for calories saved when they give up regular soda (although some don't, obviously) is hardly surprising.

Re 2: I have no insulin resistance issues, so who cares. But someone who does would in fact probably be far better off avoiding soda and drinking diet if it's a choice between the two.

Re 3: again, maybe for some people, but not for me. In fact, the claim that it affects your palate has always struck me as funny given that when I was drinking lots of diet soda I still disliked most sweeter wines and all sweetened coffees and teas, and enjoyed the sweetness of fruits and veggies just fine. Similarly, I am currently able to enjoy both ice cream (sweet) and perceive fruits and veggies as sweet.

Scare articles are not helpful. People should focus on how things actually affect them, and if they enjoy diet soda, it's probably not helpful for many to worry about cutting that at the same time they are trying to build up new eating habits. For example, I do think I need to cut my coffee and have started working on it. It's hard enough now--it would have been lots harder to try to do it last year when I was also just starting to worry about calories.
  • theston412
    theston412 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with Mountain Dew, the same way people have a love/hate relationship with alcohol. I can't have just one. When I decided to make my lifestyle change, I knew pop had to go. First and foremost, I knew it wasn't good for my weight loss plan, because I know that if I have 1, I'm having 10. Secondly, my dentist was always on me about my teeth. I have cavities in almost all of my teeth (some have had to be repaired due to being decayed beneath the filling).

I knew that if I left the pop, I wouldn't regret it - and I haven't really. Funny thing, though, I figured since I drank so much pop, I should be able to drink that much water. I can't. I barely get 2 or 3 glasses of water in a day. Pop would run down my throat and I wouldn't even know it. I have to almost set an alarm to drink water. Weird.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

That's an opinion piece with no links to any actual science. Hopefully you don't get all your information from articles like this?
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I've never liked carbonation, so I never drank soda. I used to put down vodka/sprites (cheap and strong), but I barely drink alcohol anymore. I pity those addicted to soda or other caffeine beverages. I don't drink coffee either. Never have.....
  • yourstrulynancy
    yourstrulynancy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

That's an opinion piece with no links to any actual science. Hopefully you don't get all your information from articles like this?
    Hornsby wrote: »

This is a good interesting argument can we bring some real proven facts to the table rather than based opinions :-)

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I have a hand-held soda maker that adds carbonation to beverages and it makes brewed herb/fruit teas really yummy.

What kind? I want one.

Sodastream.

sodastream.png
  • yourstrulynancy
    yourstrulynancy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I have a hand-held soda maker that adds carbonation to beverages and it makes brewed herb/fruit teas really yummy.

What kind? I want one.

Sodastream.

sodastream.png

What is this and what's the calorie intake on it ? Also does it have caffeine ?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

What kind? I want one.

Sodastream.

sodastream.png

What is this and what's the calorie intake on it ? Also does it have caffeine ?

it's a seltzer maker, so zero calories. i have one, and you can buy flavors to add to water, or straight up syrups to make your own sodas of almost any kind. the flavors and syrups probably add some calories though.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

As others have asked - can you please provide links to the studies cited in this article? This sounds like a collection of anecdotal evidence, which makes my anecdotal experience just as valid:

This always amuses me because not only does it attempt to prove that diet soda is evil - it also indicates that if you eat anything sugary you are more likely to binge. Neither is true in my case - I've been drinking diet soda for 20+ years and can eat just one Oreo, one serving of Talenti, one small square of dark chocolate, and do so pretty much daily.

2. 20+ years of Diet Coke consumption and I'm not insulin resistant or pre-diabetic. Maybe it kicks in in the 21st year?

3. Diet soda may change your brain’s reaction to sweetness. A 2012 study compared MRI results in college students who drank diet soda – averaging at least eight servings per week – with those who drank regular cola.

Doesn't that one invalidate number 1? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but isn't it saying that the people who drank the most diet soda had the least activity in the area creating desire to consume sugary foods? I thought diet soda was supposed to make me crave more sugary sweets?

• jamie_reynolds
    jamie_reynolds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i drink full calorie soda maybe once a month. quit drinking diet soda about a year and a half ago. i drink a lot of la croix now - great flavors, no calories, no artificial stuff. win win win.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

What kind? I want one.

Sodastream.

sodastream.png

I'm definitely getting one. Been putting it off, but this may be the time.
  • MLouis1
    MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I allow myself one on the weekends. The rest of the week is water. I drink regular Pepsi so it is a treat. It took my about a year to get to this point. And if I have it a couple of days in a row, I don't like it.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I like soda but I don't have it on a daily basis. The main temptation of soda for me is having it as part of mixed drinks like rum and coke.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    3. Diet soda may change your brain’s reaction to sweetness. A 2012 study compared MRI results in college students who drank diet soda – averaging at least eight servings per week – with those who drank regular cola.

Doesn't that one invalidate number 1? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but isn't it saying that the people who drank the most diet soda had the least activity in the area creating desire to consume sugary foods? I thought diet soda was supposed to make me crave more sugary sweets?

I think it actually means that you get less 'reward' from the same amount of sweetness, kind of like how when you drink a lot you can get more resistant to the effect of alcohol so it takes more to feel the same effect. I've checked out that study and I think that's what it's getting at.

But I have no real knowledge of the science behind any of the three claims so I can't really weigh in on if any of this is true/right.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options

What kind? I want one.

Sodastream.

sodastream.png

I'm definitely getting one. Been putting it off, but this may be the time.

It was worth it just to not have to deal with empty pop cans and carbonated water bottles anymore.