Should woman over 50 wear short dresses/skirts?

Options
NC_Girl
NC_Girl Posts: 177 Member
I am 54 and I have a skirt that I can now wear but I'm afraid to as I don't want people to think that I'm dressing to young. How do you all feel about this? Any ladies over 50 have some pics to share? Maybe I'll get brave enough to share mine. Or are there some rules for ladies over 50 that I need to know about?

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Why not. I don't believe in these rules. I'm 46 years old and I take care of myself and I wear whatever I like! Wear your skirts whenever you feel like it.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any rules, but if you're comfortable in it, wear it.
  • jesseecaden
    jesseecaden Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Do YOU like this skirt? How does the skirt make you feel? because regardless of anyone else's thoughts or feelings, your opinion is what matters.
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My honest opinion? It's completely fine to wear a mature skirt or dress, but I don't think women over 50 (or to be quite honest, over 20ish) should wear certain styles... like jean skirts. Those are really for tweens. I think it's more about the STYLE of the dress/skirt, but nothing wrong with showing a little leg in a classy way!
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    If you feel good in it, then wear it.....that's the main rule!
    Its why I like my pyjamas so much,,,,,,,,,,
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I think most of the "rules" died out sometime around the 60's. If you feel good in it, go for it.
  • Katie5271
    Katie5271 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Go for it! If you like it and YOU feel GOOD in it, that's all that matters. I know it's hard to get these old fashion rules/ideas out of your head. :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you like it, and you feel comfortable in it, wear it. It's not up to anyone else to judge whether it's "appropriate" for you to wear it. Our society is a little too wrapped up in judging everyone else.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    the phrase....if you got it, you flaunt it! Choose to embrace styles and a personal choice, not anything a society dictates. In 2010 I decided that bras were evil...so for about a year I went without. Did society care....probably, but that isn't the point, the point is that is was my thing, not anyone elses! hahah.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    a woman.. (or a man for that matter) should wear whatever the heck she/he wants to wear and makes them feel awesome.
  • ellenb1963
    ellenb1963 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sure!
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Who gives a *kitten*...do what you want.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    How short are we talking here? Body con mini, or a little above the knee? How long have you had said skirt? If it's circa 1980, probably not...LOL

Let's just say this - my Mom is 61 and of average height and weight. If I saw her in a tight mini skirt I'd wonder if she lost her marbles and I needed to find a home quickly...only because this women has NEVER worn anything shorter than her knees her whole life.

Now, on another hand, she has a friend who is 50, and wears things that I wouldn't dare wearing my early 20's. I don't think it's appropriate and people should wear things for their age because if a woman in her 50's still wears things from her 20's she typically looks older than she is. Or trying to be younger than she is.

Happy medium please.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Age is nothing but a number. If you like the way it looks, if you feel good wearing it, put it on and go show it off.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Our society is a little too wrapped up in judging everyone else.

But the fact of the matter is that society DOES judge. I am 52 and at this point, I would not wear a short skirt because I know that I would be judged for it (especially by other woman of my own generation) and just knowing that would make me uncomfortable, even if no one said anything directly to me.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    How short are we talking here? Body con mini, or a little above the knee? How long have you had said skirt? If it's circa 1980, probably not...LOL

Let's just say this - my Mom is 61 and of average height and weight. If I saw her in a tight mini skirt I'd wonder if she lost her marbles and I needed to find a home quickly...only because this women has NEVER worn anything shorter than her knees her whole life.

Now, on another hand, she has a friend who is 50, and wears things that I wouldn't dare wearing my early 20's. I don't think it's appropriate and people should wear things for their age because if a woman in her 50's still wears things from her 20's she typically looks older than she is. Or trying to be younger than she is.

Happy medium please.

What is it to you? Who is it to you to judge your mother's friend for wearing what she wears? it seems many people are in a hurry to decide what is appropriate for others of any age or size to wear, for whatever reason. You don't know why she does, and it really isn't your business.

"happy medium". Who gets to decide what that is?

A group of lawmakers in North Dakota are trying to make it a felony for women who are caught wearing yoga pants in public three times.
    This is a blatant attempt to blame women for the inability of men to stop seeing them as sexual objects and solely place the blame for rape and sexual assault/harrassment on them. Beliefs like yours only enforce this stereotype.

Stop judging and support everyone's freedom to be who they are. They're only legs a skirt will be revealing, as any pair of shorts would be.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you´ve got the legs... and the confidence...and the nice skirt... go for it ;-) See: I didn´t mention age,- because it shouldn´t matter. Not at 50... perhaps at 80?? ;-)
  • KevinHull1
    KevinHull1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 and I wear short skirts. I wear whatever I want to wear and don't give a rats *kitten* what other people think. Their thoughts are their problem not mine.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    KevenHull1 --Since your profile says that you are a 36 year old male, I have to wonder why you identify as a 63 year old skirt-wearer in the above comment.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Our society is a little too wrapped up in judging everyone else.

But the fact of the matter is that society DOES judge. I am 52 and at this point, I would not wear a short skirt because I know that I would be judged for it (especially by other woman of my own generation) and just knowing that would make me uncomfortable, even if no one said anything directly to me.

This is SO the problem. Learning to love and be yourself is part of setting the example. Doing so for others is as well. Not everyone who looks at you is judging you. Some of them are just looking at you. Some are admiring you and will probably follow your example. This is how trends are set.
    The brave who do things that are not the 'norm' are the ones who change things for everyone else.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!