I'm going to die if I don't get this done

Options

Replies

• ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    16 lbs in 2 months is actually normal...Hell it's actually pretty good...great job and glad you're making lifestyle choices.
  • amazon35
    amazon35 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    add me!! I'm right there with you. I have 130lb to get rid of. And I want to ride on coasters too! We can do this!!! One Day One Step!!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello and welcome. Congratulations on losing your first 16 pounds that is wonderful! I totally understand the struggle of weight and depression, been fighting it nearly all my life. It is doable though if you have patience and stick to it. Consider every pound you lose a victory. Stay on this course and by this time next year you could be 100 pounds or more down. Don't be discouraged by how far you have to go, instead celebrate how far you have come. It may take 2-3 or even 4 years to reach your goal but that doesn't matter. Any measurable progress in reasonable time is good progress. 16 pounds in 2 months is definitely good progress! :) If you would like a friend here to support you, feel free to send me a friend request.
  • mrsmcg97
    mrsmcg97 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    16 pounds is amazing Great Job. Next time your at the grocery store go to the butter. Pick up a one pound block of butter. Now visualize 16 of these that has left your body. This always helps me when I think I havent lost much. Now put the butter back.
  • mandyclay1982
    mandyclay1982 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You're off to a wonderful start! It sounds like your pretty determined and that is whats going to get you through more then anything :)

KEEP YOUR HEAD HELD HIGH AND CHALLENGE YOURSELF EVERYDAY :)

You got this!!!!!
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It's a slow process, and at 400 pounds it's going to be a very long one. I started off in a similar ballpark to you, around 350, also with a very loving significant other who loved me then and now.

16 pounds in 2 months is actually doing quite well. That's 2 pounds a week, exactly what your goal is. And that's awesome! When you're bigger, it takes a long time to see the changes in pictures and feel them in your clothes. For me, it was about 30 pounds to go down a size.

However, know that what you're doing for your body is SO worth it. You will feel better, and your relationship will feel stronger for you taking control of yourself. Be patient with it though, because it's not a race.
  • timwaagh
    timwaagh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welcome. calorie counting may help you lose some weight but you won't like the hunger that comes with the weight loss. you obviously have more other things to worry about than just pounds.

a lifestyle which causes you to gain weight all the time is not good. this is where you need to change. consider alternative transportation modes. bicycles save not just weight, but also money. also passive entertainment like tv costs money and pounds.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I agree with every one else that 16lbs is phenomenal. That's over 3 bags of sugar. At that pace, you will lose 100lbs in a year!

My best weight loss tip is don't kill yourself with arbitrary time frames. So, don't tell yourself you have to lose XXlbs by XX date. That is a good way to set yourself up for failure. Recognize that you didn't gain all your weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight. Make sustainable changes. If you know that even if you weighed 130 lbs you would never give up eating chocolate, then don't. Fit treats into your daily consumption.

It's like learning to eat all over again. Log everything. Even if you have a crap day and go way over. We all have bad days/weeks. Persistence is key and eventually the good days out number the bad.

Recognize triggers for overeating. I eat when i'm stressed out. I'm recognize and am working on that. If you need to work through issues driving your relationship with food, don't hesitate to get professional help. Feel free to send me a friend request if you like.

You can do this!
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    My #1 piece of advice would be log everything, every day. Don't skip a day because you're embarrassed of what you ate. It will keep you on track to see the numbers. Feel free to add me as a friend! I'm pregnant, so not trying to lose at the moment, but I'll be back at it in August :)
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    16 pounds is a GREAT start! The process of weight loss isn't an easy one but you are taking a great step in improving your life! Just remember your goals. ALWAYS keep those in mind and use that to motivate you!

Now be patient. You didn't gain all the weight in one day so your aren't going to loose it in a day either. One day at a time. Keep making the good choices with food and once you are able to start being active. It doesn't have to be a lot. Go for a short walk. Even if it is just to the end of the street and back at first. Increase a little bit at a time. Once you are walking around the block with ease try jogging to the end of the street and back. Again, baby steps. Take it one day at a time!

You are doing great so far and I love to see you are passionate about changing your life. Feel free to add me for motivation if you'd like. Keep up your awesome work so far.

YOU GOT THIS!!!!!:)
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

My best weight loss tip is don't kill yourself with arbitrary time frames.
    Recognize that you didn't gain all your weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight.
    Make sustainable changes.
    Fit treats into your daily consumption.

It's like learning to eat all over again. Log everything. Even if you have a crap day and go way over. We all have bad days/weeks. Persistence is key and eventually the good days out number the bad.

Recognize triggers for overeating. If you need to work through issues driving your relationship with food, don't hesitate to get professional help.

You can do this!

This!!
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have found weighing myself dailly helps and MFP plots the progress on a graph. I can see the fluctuations one day up, one day down but I can also see the steady decline in my weight. It is a slow process but it is there if you are honest and strict with recording your calories in and calories out.
    Take this journey in small bitesize pieces. I set myself a goal to reach a weight after a few months. I am on target despite having the odd bad day.
    Even half way to my goal I already feel great and more healthy so I can tell you that the benefits of losing weight come quite soon. Just imagine yourself at your end goal. Close your eyes and picture how you will look when you reach your target. You deserve that goal but you have to work for it.

As they say in Japanese 'Gambaremasu' do your best :-)
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on making the decision to change. That's often the hardest step. Secondly, congratulations on losing 16lbs - that's a lot in 2 months, and don't let anyone tell you differently.

2 months shows your commitment. 2 months shows your capability. 2 months shows your self-discipline. Each and every day is one more nail in the coffin of bad habits, excuses & delays. Each and every day proves that you can do the next one - you started so you can finish.

He said it first but it deserves repeating,,,,,,,,,,I think I will adopt his quote for my own journey!

Having said that,,,,,,yes,everything else said after that is true too......... The 3 P's....patience, perseverance and persistence,,,,,,
    You CAN do this, YOU know you can,,,,,,,,,,
  • Lindy901
    Lindy901 Posts: 71 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I try to focus less on the weight loss, which is hard to do, and focus on eating healthier, logging into the diary, and living more actively. It seems when I look at how much I have to lose it it is easy to lose hope. Living healthier is a lifetime commitment, not a diet. Something most of us here seem to have a lot of trouble with. ;) And when you have a bad day with higher calorie or want to go out and just feast, it happens, just come back to your main focus again.
  • smukkeff
    smukkeff Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    girl, do you know what some people would do to lose that much in that time span? don't you dare get down on yourself. That's a fabulous kick-off to a successful and even inspirational transition. :smiley:
  • jasonraygagnon
    jasonraygagnon Posts: 86 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Congratulations on starting off and hitting 16 pounds loss!! Huge Success :-) Feel free to add me if you want some additional support or motivation. Best of luck in with your health goals.

Edit - Hell, I'll add you to watch you succeed, and I know you will!!
  • dlhend
    dlhend Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a 400 lb morbidly obese woman. I've said to myself time and time again I'm going to lose weight when I'm ready and my husband loves me the way I am. But I'm not happy and if health issues don't kill me my depression will. I have been working out for over 2 months and have changed my eating habits but I have lost only 16 pounds. This isn't about looks. This is about me living long enough to have kids one day and actually being able to enjoy my life. I want to walk around Disneyland, or get on a roller coaster. I want to be a person who goes to the grocery store during the day and not at night because I am too embarrassed to be seen in public on an automatic cart because I can't walk through the store. I want to live my life not just survive it. I am going to do this but I need help, support, and friends to see me through this journey. Any help, tips, tricks, motivational quotes, ANYTHING would be most appreciated! Thanks!

• dlhend
    dlhend Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would love to be your friend. I also have concerns about my longevity. Losing weight for me is not an option it is a must! I am 68 years old and 310 lbs. Getting around is not easy. I do have some great ideas that may make this easier for you. Please contact me.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Vixenmd1 wrote: »
    Thankfully you are facing this now while you are young and this can change the course of your life. I just lost my dad 2 weeks ago tomorrow) from a sudden heart attack due to his morbid obesity( whuch cuased his type 2 and hypertenstion). You are on the way just keep going and don't look back.

:( sorry to hear that.

• Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is have patience, drink water and don't weigh yourself everyday- weight loss does stall and fluctuate according to the time, day and TOM. You didn't gain weight overnight, and you certainly won't lose it overnight. 16lbs is a great start and hopefully the first of many pounds you will lose. Don't be too strict with yourself and take photos as you go along- when you don't feel like you're making progress, the photos SHOW you otherwise :)