Should woman over 50 wear short dresses/skirts?

Options

Replies

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Wear what you like. I'm not 40 yet but I fully intend to keep wearing short skirts ( and short shorts) over that age. And over 50. What matters is that you feel good in something and that it fits you properly. Plus it's effing hot where I live - I'm not going to suffer walking around in long skirts/pants because of my age or what people may or may not think of me.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    In for the pics...lol
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    LOL, the skirt thing is all a matter of balance... if it's short, wear a more covered up top and cute flats or mid heels. a 20 yr old may be able to get away with tight everything and short, revealing clothes with vertiginous heels (she'll still look like a hooker, lol) but a 50 + yr old should only have one daring piece on at a time or she can just look pathetic. And yeah, I'm 51 so I know what I'm talking about. ;)
    Maybe I shouldn't talk since that's me in the short patent skaterskirt with torn tights and steel toe workboots, lol. (It was a rocker costume party, hahaha)
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Madonna and Cher come immediately to mind, but Carol Vordermann does it with class...

08luqle224kk.jpg
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    wear what you want!
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Should woman over 50 wear short dresses/skirts?
    5kobi319p109.jpg
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    As long as we feel good wearing short dresses, we should wear them!

My question: Should men over 50 wear jeans that "hug"?
  • surfteam1689
    surfteam1689 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The context of where you wear what you wear is obviously important. You wouldn't wear to a meeting with your boss what you wear to the gym, unless you have a poor sense of etiquette and modesty. Sometimes, people wear stupid and inappropriate clothing. So if looking nice while maintaining the respect of others is important to you, just think how others would *see* you... your loved ones, grandchildren, boss, etc. :-)
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Yes, I wear a black short skirt with black tights and boots. A white tank, black sweater, all the time to work. I am 50, and smoking hot.

However, it is not tight, crotch length, I don't wear it with F - me heels, and a bra top.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and I've decided that the mini skirts need to be retired. I personally see myself in a way that it's no longer appropriate to wear such things (even if I can rock it) and I want the world to perceive me the way I perceive myself.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Well, that's me in my profile pic, in the backless dress, and I'm 42. One of my favorite dresses. it's an above the knee length dress but not super short, due to the backlessness. I've got another one in my pics on MFP here that's a sweater dress with a high neck that's a shorter skirt length. That's kind of the trick - skin below, not so much above.... Skin above, not so much below. Keeps it classy. And I get lots of compliments on both dresses.
  • Bridgetthegre
    Bridgetthegre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call that a mini skirt. It looks nice. As far as "wear what you want, how dare people have an opinion" pfft. Of course people are going to have opinions. My personal opinion is that regardless of what age or gender you are, if you go out of the house wearing clothing that doesn't cover everything that ought to be covered...if you want to be taken seriously, you might want to rethink it. If you're under 25, you might get a little leeway because some people may assume you don't know any better. If you're over 50, you probably ought to know better. If you don't care either way, then don't ask for an opinion! But since the op asked, that skirt in the picture looks nice.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

grc0anfcubif.gif

Just..don't do this.. LOL
    legs.gif 995.6K
  • DrunkInAGolfCart
    DrunkInAGolfCart Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So long as there's no dress code for work etc I think women (and men, for that matter) should wear whatever the hell they want regardless of age or size.

Granted, my mum's ex partner (who we're both still friends with) used to wear these very short cut off jean shorts that made him look a bit like a Portuguese George Michael circa 1985 and I did tease him mercilessly about them. Even still, it wasn't going to stop him wearing them. Nor should it have.

Our western culture has a very specific idea about what is appropriate for people of a certain age and what is not. Or how skinny you have to be to wear this or that. Or how busty you have to be. Or how much booty you have to have. Or how girly/macho/gay/androgynous something will make you look. The only way these taboos can be broken is for more and more people to go "You can take these outdated ideals and shove it up the proverbial backside of our society".
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    YES!! I am 35, have 5 kids and I wear "booty" shorts because I have great legs besides being a little overweight. If you feel good and confident in the skirt, rock it! I have a very dear friend who is 70 years old and she wears bikinis, shorts, short dresses and skirts, etc. When I see her I only think how amazing she looks, and now how old she is. :smiley:
  • SallyRamona
    SallyRamona Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you feel comfortable, rock it!! Anyone who says no yoga pants, no jean skirts or no insert-item-here, needs to pay more attention to themselves and less time judging others.
  • weightofgold
    weightofgold Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of if you have got the legs for it comments.....I say YOLO......seriously....if u like it wear it.......u can't tell anyone else what to wear and there r always Ines to judge...its their problem not yours...soo wear anything that won't get you arrested....apparently that might include yoga pants...yeesssshhhhh
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't like arbitrary fashion "rules" - you look fantastic in that skirt - wear the s*it out of it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!