is drinking water immediately after food really bad

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited April 2015
    felblossom wrote: »
    I think (think!) that someone who's had a gastric bypass operation isn't supposed to drink anything with their food, mainly because the stomach is too small to handle it all at once? For someone with a regular stomach this hardly is the case!

I know that anything carbonated isn't allowed with a gastric bypass, but not sure about water. I would imagine that dehydration would be counterproductive.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Hmm...well that's a first for me! I drink a lot with my meals...before, during and after! No weight loss problems :)
  • Iwillwalkforfood
    Iwillwalkforfood Posts: 1 Member
    Its said that having water immediate after you had your lunch or dinner is bad.. i dont get a complete feeling till i drink water after my food.. a friend said just gargle with water..but that doesnt help. Is drinking water post food real bad for lose weight or can i continue.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/digestion/faq-20058348
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Hogwash!

I particularly love that your profile picture seems to be illustrating the point that this is a huge pile of horse's ar$e.

A happy coincidence I assure you! :)

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    felblossom wrote: »
    I think (think!) that someone who's had a gastric bypass operation isn't supposed to drink anything with their food, mainly because the stomach is too small to handle it all at once? For someone with a regular stomach this hardly is the case!

I know that anything carbonated isn't allowed with a gastric bypass, but not sure about water. I would imagine that dehydration would be counterproductive.

This is a true fact. No liquids 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after a meal. It's not necessarily because the stomach is too small to handle it, but because the liquids will help the food slide through the small pouch faster, thus enabling you to eat more . Hydration is key though, when you have this type of surgery, and many people need to focus very hard on getting an adequate water intake.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I've read (and heard) that a few times, but never with any evidence whatsoever, and always from a completely uncredentialed source.

I drink water before, during, and after meals.
  • praksindiafit
    praksindiafit Posts: 518 Member
    http://www.yoga-for-beginners-a-practical-guide.com/drinking-water-during-meals.html

Another link... also theres a lottsa links that says otherwise.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Nonsense.

"They say" is rarely going to be a reputable source of info. Be leery of info that comes from 'They' 'Them' or 'People'.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    This thread is making me thirsty.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    This is hands down the dumbest question I have ever seen on MFP.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Its said that having water immediate after you had your lunch or dinner is bad.. i dont get a complete feeling till i drink water after my food.. a friend said just gargle with water..but that doesnt help. Is drinking water post food real bad for lose weight or can i continue.

I drink water before, during and after meals. There have been zero bad effects. It has not kept me from losing weight.
    Please ignore your friends.
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    lol?
    Food contains water itself.
  • SmellyHippy
    SmellyHippy Posts: 47 Member
    That's a new one on me. Sometimes I love that we have so many ideas available to us, but sometimes....
  • praksindiafit
    This is hands down the dumbest question I have ever seen on MFP.
    ha ha i am happy that it is a dumb question and get my doubts cleared.. cause i like to drink lots of water post meals ;)

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    what idiot told you that?

• praksindiafit
    That's a new one on me. Sometimes I love that we have so many ideas available to us, but sometimes....
    Yes its crazy what the net brings to us. But honestly i have heard this a lot. But from the responses i am getting here..i am happy to see the information is wrong.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    also would be nice of people to not ridicule who put up questions to clear their doubt, no no it doesnt affect me much..just for other people who are not very comfortable to take the ridicule ...and come out to clear their doubts or food n health myths. We are here for each other to boost each other..clear our doubts..and have fun too in the process.. thats why the forums :)
    What ridicule? I see people talking down about your friends, but not about you.

I would stop listening to your friends about fitness and nutrition.