why limit fruit intake?

Options

Replies

• Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit everyday. I love fruit. In a typical day I have berries as part of my pre-workout meal, then during the day I have a couple of clementines, an apple and often a banana. I regularly am over in my sugar intake yet I have lost almost 40 pounds since January 5/2015. I also manage to eat over 100 grams of protein each day.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    Some fruits have higher sugar content than others obviously, but the sugars are naturally occurring and not processed.
    Does not matter either way as long as excess sugar does not come at the expense of nutrients...
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    The problem comes when you break down the fruit ie, into a smoothie. Because it's easier for the body to absorb. Because the fiber is also broken down you don't get the full advantage of this either, which the sugars would ordinarily cling to as the fiber is passed through the gut in a whole fruit. I would look into it if I where you, but in a nutshell that's the reason
    That seems nonsensical to me. I can see the fiber issue if you juice your fruit but a smoothie?

Ed Blonz, Ph.D. who is a nutrition scientist and an assistant clinical professor at the University of California, San Francisco gave this answer to the question of fiber being destroyed by blending into a smoothie..."I don’t buy the argument that blending negates the benefits of the fiber in fruits (or vegetables or grains). The machine will most certainly reduce the size of fiber particles, but the fiber is still there. It is the unique way that the fiber molecules are bound together that’s the key. Digestive enzymes help break down large compounds into ones small enough to pass through the absorptive surfaces in the intestines. Fiber is unique in that the human body doesn’t have any enzymes to break it apart."

This is the link to the Q&A article.

http://www.yourwestvalley.com/columns/article_fb24f590-1efb-11e3-8549-0019bb2963f4.html
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have a mini Aero biscuit for 99 calories than a banana....!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    fructose is a different chemical then glucose and our body processes it differently. Glucose is the main nutrient (body uses it first) for energy in the brain and muscles. Therefore excess energy particularly fructose will be stored as fat by the liver.

HOWEVER fruit is a great healthy source of fibre and antioxidants so some intake is good just don't go bonkers on it

Kinda true. It makes for a better ATP substrate than glucose... So, not really accurate on the "stored by fat". All excess calories are stored as fat, your body doesn't really care where they came from.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

All calories count.

Not all of them count. There's a special phrase you can before eating some things that causes the calories not to count. I have it written down somewhere. It hasn't worked for me yet but I think I might be pronouncing it wrong....
  • btherry
    btherry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Seems like a calorie is a calorie whether it's coming from fruit or a protein. You should eat a variety of food and not really limit anything (unless of course it's cake, cookies, etc.!)
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I only limit fruit because I prefer berries, melon and fresh pineapple and in the UK these can be expensive. I usually have an apple each day and loads of veggies instead. I love bananas but only when they are nice and firm, once they start browning I'm not keen.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I get very little satisfaction from fruit; it doesn't fill me up, it just makes me hungry usually. I do eat some, but not very much.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think OP is asking why people might choose to eat a limited amount of fruit, but why she's being advised to eat only a small amount of fruit.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I dont eat much fruit bc:

1. Most varieties have been chemically altered, whether by GMOs or pesticides that come out of a plane
    2. They dont fill me up
    3. They make me fart, incessantly
    4. I believe pesticides are carcinogens, or have them in the formula, and I dont completely trust the cleansing process.

That is not to say I dont eat fruit at all, or curse fruits bc of their (speculation) cancer causing chemicals. My body does very well at getting rid of what it doesnt like, so one fruit here and there, for me, is what my body tolerates. That is in addition to reason 3.
  • RockstarWilson
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Molaufy is not entirely wrong. The American Heart Association says that people should limit themselves to about six teaspoons/100 calories of added sugar (women) or nine teaspoons/150 calories of added sugar (men) a day. That works out to about 25 grams for women and about 37.5 grams for men. The World Health Organization makes the same recommendation, but it is for all sugars, not added sugars. The Institute for Medicine, which sets the recommended daily allowances for nutrients in the United States, suggests that no more than 25 percent of an individual's daily calories come from added sugars. There's no absolutes when it comes to sugar. The WHO is by far the most restrictive.

Most government and international regulatory entities that have a say on sugar get bought off by the Sugar companies. Just fyi.

Also, you (whoever reads this) would be damn ignorant to think sugar does not play a part when:

1. per capita added sugar consumption has increased by about 10%, or 12 lbs per person, since 1980
    2. Diabetes cases have more than doubled, while new cases per year have more than tripled (CDC), since 1980
    3. Obesity rates across the board have doubled, while childhood obesity has more than tripled since 1980
    4. Advertizing for all those things with added sugars have dominated the tv for decades.

http://m.motherjones.com/environment/2012/10/sugar-industry-lies-campaign

Sugar is killing humanity. That and idiocracy. Our kids are getting fatter because of sugar and lazy parents who dont know how or dont care enough about their kids to cook, we trust what the government says all the time, and we cant stop having babies we have no business having (going back to idiocracy). WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!
  • RockstarWilson
    Options
    paulaviki wrote: »
    I only limit fruit because I prefer berries, melon and fresh pineapple and in the UK these can be expensive. I usually have an apple each day and loads of veggies instead. I love bananas but only when they are nice and firm, once they start browning I'm not keen.

That's what she said...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

That's what she said...

:laugh: :sunglasses:

• Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Yes, nothing wrong with fruit. Some people currently are suspicious of carbs or specifically sugar, but there's nothing credible that I've seen.

It's generally better not to go overboard with anything, so I wouldn't make up a huge percentage of my overall calories with fruit, as you won't be getting protein or fat (which you need) or various nutrients that are found more in veggies or some other foods (like calcium or iron). I also don't find fruit especially filling for a meal (although people differ).

But the idea that we need to limit fruit to a small amount seems wrong.

I'd watch the calories and make sure you are getting enough of other things, but otherwise not worry about it.

Love fruit please eat them. The bottom line is making sure you are fitting this into your macro goals for the day. Calories, protein, carbs, fats - make sure you can fit it in and enjoy. If you don't, then you will feel deprived and that is the worst feeling in the world.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    1. per capita added sugar consumption has increased by about 10%, or 12 lbs per person, since 1980...
    Sugar is killing humanity.

Sugar consumption went up roughly 1000% percent between the mid-1800s and the mid-1900s - yet life expectancy and overall health went up dramatically.

But somehow this last 10% increase is going to be the death of us?

Not seeing the logic in this...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    Bananas are not ripe until they are brown and wither off the vine. Eating them yellow is almost the same as eating them green. They are most nourishing when brown because their own enzymes have already begun to digest them.

You're probably right. But i have to eat them when they are yellow with a green tinge to them. I really dislike brown, mushy bananas
  • RockstarWilson
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    1. per capita added sugar consumption has increased by about 10%, or 12 lbs per person, since 1980...
    Sugar is killing humanity.

Sugar consumption went up roughly 1000% percent between the mid-1800s and the mid-1900s - yet life expectancy and overall health went up dramatically.

But somehow this last 10% increase is going to be the death of us?

Not seeing the logic in this...

The 1800s....before fridges, automobiles, televisions, electronics, population explosion, hospitals. People had to hunt or trade for food, had to defend property by themselves, had to worry about a plethora of uncurable communicable diseases, and had to fight in hand to hand wars.

Life expectancy has gone up drastically since the 1800s, but it will be going back down, I believe. And it takes decades to die from obesity. 1/3 of our kids today will probably die by the time they are 50, or be severely handicapped. Being that society only makes changes when people die, nothing will change in the coming years, and I am crazy, I know. There are too many variables to put sugar as the sole reason people will die. Sugar carries addictive qualities, maybe not to the degree that cigarettes do, but they are there. Just go through the threads and count up all the topics that include "I dont have the will power to give that up. Help me." This is speculation, but I would bet the farm that at least 90% of the foods they talk about are either sugary, or have hfcs in them.

No, sugar does not cause death, but it establishes eating habits that produce conditions that eventually lead to death. We have the JDRF for one reason: our kids are too fat bc they cant stop eating. The food is too tempting for them. Kids have diabetes for one reason, and one reason only: sugar overload. Childhood obesity and diabetes go hand in hand, and ultimately have one cause: eating too much. And how do people eat too much?

Since obesity hinders insulin production, overeating causes obesity, sugar causes overeating, tv time increases food intake, and lack of physical activity (caused by excess tv time) , and sugar overconsumption can kill a diabetic, what do you see happening?