24 hour fasts almost everyday. Bad idea?

Options
13»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP appears to be following the lean gains method where she eats all calories in morning and then fasts rest of the day ….that is not a binging cycle...

Yet it was only a few days ago that the OP posted a thread about recovering from a binge and that she hadn't binged for three weeks.

If the OP regularly binges its clear that the fasting isn't working for her or perhaps she is using the fasting method not for health benefits of IF but to binge 'legitimately'.

i have been forum free for past few days due to traveling…

my point is that eating in the morning and then fasting all day is not binging..its a form of IF….
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    This is a terrible idea, and you need to stop doing this ASAP. Here's why:

When you eat, your body produces insulin. Insulin (basically) metabolizes carbs and fats, and regulates blood sugar. When you eat infrequently, or eat too many carbs/empty calories, or not enough saturated fats, you create a huge insulin spike. This results in fat storage and crappy nutrient absorption. It will also cause you to crash later on.

When you eat balanced (lean protein, **sat fats**, and low-glycemic carbs) and throughout the day, you maintain a nice balanced insulin level. This will keep your metabolism revving, keeping you energized, burning fat, and happy.

On top of that - insulin sensitivity is highest in the morning and lowest at night. Therefor you should taper your carb intake so that you have more early on (when you're more active) and then less as the day goes on.

Carbs = insulin respose
    Carbs+Protein = BIG insulin response

BUT

Add sat fats (olive oil, avocados, almonds) into the mix and it will significantly lower the insulin response. Always have fats with every meal.

People get so caught up in the numbers game with this app that they forget that there is far more going on biologically that affects your weight loss/gain results. Fasting once in awhile can definitely help you lose some quick fat, but fasting frequently is an unhealthy lifestyle. Your body needs a steady stream of nutrients, period.
    Peer reviewed clinical study for this?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    You body needs a steady stream of small healthy meals throughout the day to be healthy and loose weight.
    Not true. This has been a promotion of the diet and fitness industry for years with no real evidence to support it. Most evidence is anecdotal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @2sweet4sugar34 I will actually answer your question. After some research, I am seeing no studies indicating that there will be long-term harm caused by IF or maintaining an IF lifestyle. If it works for you, go for it!

However, just because there are no studies indicating long term harm NOW doesn't mean they might not show up later. Just be aware and keep an eye on your body and how you feel.

As with all diet and weight loss programs, make sure your doctor is aware. That way any changes can be noted and other causes for fatigue can be ruled out.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ugh! stupid double post.... :grumble:
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I generally eat about 300 cals for lunch then eat all the rest of my cals between 6-9pm. Works out great for me. I've never been a big breakfast person, and I know that I will likely want to eat more in the evenings after work so having all those cals available to me then is beneficial. I often workout fasted (either in the morning after not eating all night, or after work/riding after not eating for 3-6 hours) and it doesn't seem to cause any issues.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Seems to me..it's unhealthy. Our bodies aren't designed to digest that amt of food in a short period of time. I believe it is 'over load'.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If you are getting tired early it isn't working for your body. You might want it to work. I can't think of why unless it is just that you don't want to have to stop and log food more than once a day....

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    MelWick524 wrote: »
    Mathematically, it works, but if you're feeling tired, your body is telling you something, and I've learned that we need to listen to our bodies. For me, I've found that a lack of fuel results in:

1- a general unwell feeling
    2- grumpiness
    3- decreased productivity at work
    4- less quality play time with my son
    5- half-a**ed workouts or skipping them altogether
    6- a totally non-existent libido

I've got lots of experience in the "fatigue from not eating right" department (recovering from E.D.).

Do what works, as long as "what works" refers to wellness as a whole, not just #s on a scale. :smile:

OP, please pause and evaluate what this wise person is telling you.

You are FEELING BADLY because you are eating this way. That's what makes this a poor way for you to eat...none of the voodoo or majoring-in-the-minors obsession with various hormones that is so in vogue right now among Broscientists.

Coupled with your other posts and your stats, I'm concerned that you might have an eating disorder.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    i guess if you like being tired.....
  • oreo_whore
    oreo_whore Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I used to only eat once a day, mostly because I was overwhelmed with the concept of cooking/shopping/budgeting and it was easier to only have to think about one type of food. It worked out fine, except that eating one mega-meal a day seriously screwed up my perception of portion size -- snacks and normal meals are difficult because i don't feel like i've eaten unless i've had 1000+ calories. The only other problem was that I felt pretty lethargic after eating and would have to take it easy or watch tv for a while.
    Now, I eat about two meals a day (trying to add variety into my diet) usually over the course of a few hours. From what I've read on this thread, apparently this qualifies as intermittent fasting? It's just what feels natural for me. I would never try to put myself on a diet that didn't feel natural or fit well into my lifestyle. My advice is to be realistic and not stress about forcing yourself into 3 meals a day type lifestyle if that isn't working for you.
    Getting tired later in the day is not necessarily because of hunger, you could be thirsty or need a nap.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    If you find it isn't working for you & you wind up tired earlier why don't you try different eating times?

I find some days I don't want to eat until 9-10 in the morning & other times I have to eat something at 5-7 in the morning.

• Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I love one BIG meal. Today I had two and I went over. I probably wouldn't have but the eggs are getting old.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So much advice here, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. Because I know you care what I, a stranger to you, think. :tongue:

I used to IF with a night time eating window, and I was pretty successful at losing weight when I did it. However, I found that it didn't really work for me long-term. I exhausted my adrenals and was tired most all the time. I finally gave it up, because I'm a homeschooling mom, and it's really hard to teach your children when you're tired and you can't focus. When I gave it up, I was paranoid that I'd no longer be controlling my leptin and insulin and I'd put on weight and the world would come to an end. And I did end up putting on weight before I figured out what really works for me, nutritionally.

If something truly works for you, you will feel perfectly happy with your choices and their effects. There is no reason to think that when you consume your calories is going to have a long-term effect. There have been many studies "proving" many different things, but we are all different. What works for me might not work for you, and I can tell that what works for you would not work for me. So what? You don't have to do things my way. There is no settled science that any single way is the 'right' way to eat. Here's a good article, much to that effect: Is Nutrient Timing Dead?.
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    IF can be great, but how the hell are you eating 1600 calories in a single sitting?

That's like a six-egg and cheese omelette, four slices of bacon, mushrooms cooked in butter and three slices of toast.

How do you do that? You're tiny.

I do IF three days per week but I have lunch and dinner, I find it works well, I don't feel hungry and I don't get tired. It might be worth trying that instead.

1600 calories in one sitting is not that hard.

this ^ lol .. could do easily hahah :smile:
  • drooJohnson
    drooJohnson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know that some people who take stimulants for ADHD and similar conditions have a ton of trouble eating well throughout the day, and thus only eat before and after their medication has been taken/worn-off. I had the same experience, except that I forced myself to eat during the day in the beginning, which was a terrible idea because food had to be SUPER APPETIZING for me to choke it down. I'm talking about fried chicken, ranch dressing, fries, and ice cream. That was pretty much all I found palatable.

Later down the road I accepted that this idea wasn't working out, as I had gained ~20 lbs., and decided that if I couldn't force myself to eat healthy foods between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM, I just wouldn't be eating at all. I dropped those 20 lbs. in about a year, my medication was much more effective, and honestly it was nice not having to worry about a mid-day meal. Plus, it is much easier to make room in your calorie count for a scoop or two of ice cream every now and then if you're skipping lunch.

Now, its also super important to note that during this time, my appetite and hunger were chemically suppressed during the day, and my body had absolutely no desire for nourishment. If you're HUNGRY during this fast, you're probably just going to binge later.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,573 Member
    Options
    There is some research going on in the Middle East on the effect of fasting and only eating once per day during Ramadan and other feasting periods. Unfortunately I currently don't have access to papers, thus I'm only summarizing. The outcome of several studies is that especially this type of fasting was rather unhealthy particularly for women. The generally poor diet in the region taken out of the equation, it seems that this kind of fasting is increasing the risk of developing diabetes even in healthy, normal weight, young women, while there doesn't seem to be the same effect in men.
  • UmairIbrahimovic559
    UmairIbrahimovic559 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat almost all my calories in the morning (1500-1600) and don't eat anything until the next morning. I get tired earlier than usual eating like this, but it has been working for me otherwise. I've been eating like this on and off for 2 months. Will this have any long term negative effects?
    I eat almost all my calories in the morning (1500-1600) and don't eat anything until the next morning. I get tired earlier than usual eating like this, but it has been working for me otherwise. I've been eating like this on and off for 2 months. Will this have any long term negative