Protein?

Options
im having a hard time with protein. I like foods I can grab & just eat because I am so hungry lol.. Some days I do good with protein but others not so much.. Are there any foods you eat that have a lot of protein but you doesn't take forever to make?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs (I premake a batch to keep in the fridge)
    Greek yogurt
    string cheese or other cheese snacks
    protein bars or shakes
    beef jerky
  • misssmadalyn
    misssmadalyn Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs (I premake a batch to keep in the fridge)
    Greek yogurt
    string cheese or other cheese snacks
    protein bars or shakes
    beef jerky
    Hard boiled eggs is a good idea & I love cheese! Thank you!

• misssmadalyn
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    how is this effect your goals?
    Because protein is good for you, fills you up so you're not always Hungry.
  • brittany_812
    brittany_812 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you talking and what proportion is it? Chicken, fish, beef, and protein powder will be your easiest sources if you are high protein and low everything else. I like to have beef jerky on hand all the time as a snack, but you can also bake with protein powder and make some pretty great things that will be quick and easy when you need them. I've been making protein muffins which are great on the go. When you do cook, make enough that you have leftovers so when you're hungry you can just grab the leftover chicken or fish and have it ready. Chicken can also be great added to a salad, and can be seasoned in a lot of different ways (although prep can depend on your other macros, ie. you don't want to bread it with normal bread or use sweet sauces if you don't get to eat many carbs in a day)
  • bigandstripy
    bigandstripy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My egg intake has increased by a billion per cent. Hard boiled are the way FORWARD.
    But generally, anything you can premake and stick in the fridge is good. Like, make a whole heap of chicken legs, take the skin off and keep refridge'd.
  • misssmadalyn
    Options
    How much protein are you talking and what proportion is it? Chicken, fish, beef, and protein powder will be your easiest sources if you are high protein and low everything else. I like to have beef jerky on hand all the time as a snack, but you can also bake with protein powder and make some pretty great things that will be quick and easy when you need them. I've been making protein muffins which are great on the go. When you do cook, make enough that you have leftovers so when you're hungry you can just grab the leftover chicken or fish and have it ready. Chicken can also be great added to a salad, and can be seasoned in a lot of different ways (although prep can depend on your other macros, ie. you don't want to bread it with normal bread or use sweet sauces if you don't get to eat many carbs in a day)
    I'd say 70-90 a day but I am burning an average of 700 calories when I work out
  • misssmadalyn
    Options
    how is this effect your goals?
    Because protein is good for you, fills you up so you're not always Hungry.

The question is "how is it effect your goals?" Are you more hungry? Are you not losing weight?
    I am losing weight but constantly hungry
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, yogurt etc are all great. I also eat different kinds of veggie burgers.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cheese cubes, pb2, 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites.
    Are you saving up too many calories for dinner?
    Maybe doing Breakfast like a king, Lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper would be a good fit for how you process your calories.
    I don't know, for me if I eat too big of a breakfast it seems to make me want to eat all day long.
    Good Luck!
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've had to start factoring in an evening snack as I was waking up in the early hours starving. Increasing protein and fat should help
  • misssmadalyn
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    Greek yogurt, cheese cubes, pb2, 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites.
    Are you saving up too many calories for dinner?
    Maybe doing Breakfast like a king, Lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper would be a good fit for how you process your calories.
    I don't know, for me if I eat too big of a breakfast it seems to make me want to eat all day long.
    Good Luck!
    Well I do eat a 500 cal breakfast, 350 cal lunch & whatever for dinner.. I work out at night so I think maybe to increase my calorie intake at night just because I burn off a lot

• hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Protein smoothie. Put some chia seeds in there and you will feel full for a while
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Since you don't get what i am telling you, I'll tell you clearly.

If you're not having any issues, what difference does it make about your protein intake? Are you reaching your goals? Are you getting closer? If you are, don't worry about your protein intake, you're fine. Protein is over rated. You said protein is "filling" you do realize you can probably eat 6lbs of broccoli to get the same amount of calories as some protein.

You also said, "I'd say 70-90 a day but I am burning an average of 700 calories when I work out" What difference does it make if you eat your calories back? It makes no difference. The problem is you're more than likely not eating your calories back how you're supposed to. You're not following direction.

If there is no "NEED" to increase protein, then don't do it. You're just focusing on more things that aren't important. The more things you focus on, the more parts you add to goals, the more likely you will fail. Keep it simple...
    give it a break. she just wants quick protein ideas.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

If you're not having any issues, what difference does it make about your protein intake? Are you reaching your goals? Are you getting closer? If you are, don't worry about your protein intake, you're fine. Protein is over rated. You said protein is "filling" you do realize you can probably eat 6lbs of broccoli to get the same amount of calories as some protein.

You also said, "I'd say 70-90 a day but I am burning an average of 700 calories when I work out" What difference does it make if you eat your calories back? It makes no difference. The problem is you're more than likely not eating your calories back how you're supposed to. You're not following direction.

If there is no "NEED" to increase protein, then don't do it. You're just focusing on more things that aren't important. The more things you focus on, the more parts you add to goals, the more likely you will fail. Keep it simple...

No, she said she's having a "hard time" with protein? There is no "need" to have a hard time, she's focusing on things that aren't too important at this point.

Lol maybe she wants to get stronger. It's not like she's already consuming an excessive amount of protein...

How can your post count be so high and yet your advice be so bad? It baffles me. Shouldn't you be in some other thread arguing that sugar is addictive?
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

No, she said she's having a "hard time" with protein? There is no "need" to have a hard time, she's focusing on things that aren't too important at this point.

Lol maybe she wants to get stronger. It's not like she's already consuming an excessive amount of protein...

How can your post count be so high and yet your advice be so bad? It baffles me. Shouldn't you be in some other thread arguing that sugar is addictive?

It's bad advice to tell people to focus on the things that are important, to avoid adding unnecessary complexity to their plan so they can be successful? I didn't know.

I am explaining what it takes to be successful, since my advice is so bad, I wouldn't have lost 150lbs... I know what works and what doesn't.

Obviously not everyone on MFP is trying to lose hundreds of pounds...you're explaining (in a very condescending manner) what it took for you to successfully reach your goal, not what it takes for everyone else to reach theirs. Your goal isn't the only one in the world, bro.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I love mozarella string cheese or celery with peanut butter for a quick snack (or even lunch some days). I also do a lot of eggs and lately have been getting into greek yogurt with fresh fruit, honey, a high-protein granola I found on Amazon.com and some chopped walnuts.

I also buy Whey Protein Powder and mix it with fresh fruit for yummy smoothies. I tried a few types of Whey protein powder and my favorite right now is "Vitamin World Women's Whey Protein". Has nice vanilla flavor and a bit of Splenda in it. Very tasty! I also like to mix it with coffee, ice and some dark chocolate syrup for a iced mocha that ups my protein for the day and tastes great on a warm afternoon. Oh, I see they are having a BOGO-Free sale going on right now but it looks like my whey protein powder is on back order. Dang! http://www.vitaminworld.com/whey-protein/womens-whey-protein-0070066632.html#icid=dropdown-_-sportsnutrition-_-protein-_-wheyprotein&start=9

If you are feeling hungry a lot, also consider increasing your fiber intake. Maybe a nice big veggie salad with tuna or crab meat?
  • angielisa75
    angielisa75 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    After a hard workout I always have a boiled egg.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    im having a hard time with protein. I like foods I can grab & just eat because I am so hungry lol.. Some days I do good with protein but others not so much.. Are there any foods you eat that have a lot of protein but you doesn't take forever to make?

My go to protein snacks are, in order of frequency:

Greek yogurt
    Trutein cinnabun protein shake
    2% cottage cheese
    Shrimp with cocktail sauce
    snack size can of lemon dill tuna
  • FitForL1fe
    edited April 2015
    Options

It's bad advice to tell people to focus on the things that are important, to avoid adding unnecessary complexity to their plan so they can be successful? I didn't know.

I am explaining what it takes to be successful, since my advice is so bad, I wouldn't have lost 150lbs... I know what works and what doesn't.

Obviously not everyone on MFP is trying to lose hundreds of pounds...you're explaining (in a very condescending manner) what it took for you to successfully reach your goal, not what it takes for everyone else to reach theirs. Your goal isn't the only one in the world, bro.

It's not about "goals" it's about success regardless of goals. The more unnecessary parts you add, the more likely it will fail. If she's reaching her goals just fine, then there is no need to add/subtract things.

What is easier for her, to keep doing what she's doing assuming she's getting results, or to add concern/worry about protein intake?(what she is doing right now) It just adds to the stress, there is no need.

Everyone has goals. Life is full of goals. Are you for real? :unamused:

Maybe other people don't need their plans to be as simple as you do in order to succeed.
  • misssmadalyn
    Options

It's not about "goals" it's about success regardless of goals. The more unnecessary parts you add, the more likely it will fail. If she's reaching her goals just fine, then there is no need to add/subtract things.

What is easier for her, to keep doing what she's doing assuming she's getting results, or to add concern/worry about protein intake?(what she is doing right now) It just adds to the stress, there is no need.

You can really excuse yourself off of this thread.. Why are you on my post arguing with me.. Actually you're not even arguing with me youre arguing with everyone like a dumbass. If you were so wise you would stop trying to "prove everyone wrong" & move the *kitten* on. No where in this thread have I insulted your so called "intelligence". I have lost 50 pounds I'm just looking for extra ways to stay full, no I'm not a nutritionist so obviously I don't know everything. All you had to say was a simple "I think your getting enough protein" & maybe suggest something else, I truly feel bad for you that you feel the need to become a keyboard warrior. lol have a nice rest of your night sir. & thank you everyone who gave me GREAT RELEVANT advice I was looking for :)