Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    dufus12 wrote: »
    EMT? What does that mean?

Emergency Medical Technician. They often drive ambulances. Knowing this, it's good to keep cab fare handy so you can opt out. :wink:

That's an interesting response given the topic.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not just you. And it's not going to change.

Ta. But it sad isn't it? I have seen some nasty stuff and I only been here 3 weeks. You want to be part of the community but I can be hard to have the commitment when you see the needless sniping and the adversity

You've made more posts here in your first 3 weeks than I made in my first 3 months. I took the time to read before joining in, learning the lay of the land, and bro-science from truth. (One thing I learned is that mean people posts are for Fridays :p )
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    That's life for ya. Sometimes worse online due to a degree of anonymity. *shrugs* What can ya do!?! :-)

Some people love to argue, some don't. Just like at work. I just say what I think I can contribute at the time and call it good unless something needs additional clarity. I get enough *kitten* to deal w/at work that I don't need it here so I have no problem not contributing if it happens.
  • BigLifter10
    Options
    I feel that if i have something decent to contribute to a post i will post it and have my say and be done with it. I will not keep going back and forth. Its not a debate. I gave my 2 cents and its done. Yes, i have seen what you are referring to. There are many know it alls on the forums that feel that if something isint the way they would view it then it must be wrong. If a person is being bashed i will usually give my reply in a private message.

Yep.
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options

Ta. But it sad isn't it? I have seen some nasty stuff and I only been here 3 weeks. You want to be part of the community but I can be hard to have the commitment when you see the needless sniping and the adversity

Can you give an example? I rarely see anything truly abusive here, and when I do it is usually modded into oblivion fairly quickly.

I have not kept a log.. Sorry......
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

Are you talking about that 51902098430960985908435 person that's been flamebaiting these forums all weekend? Cuz that guy's a jerk and not representative of what this community is actually like.

I find that you have a small minority of people who intentionally come onto the threads to insult or snipe at others.

The majority of those who respond to questions, offer help, or just generally post on the forums do so with the intention of being helpful. It might not be what the OP wants to hear, and the responses might not always monkeys dancing with toothbrushes, but many posters are at least truthful and offer their own experiences or science to back up their claims.

Since tone is difficult to get across and pick up on in the forums and there is no "hey I'm just kidding" font or "I'm just trying to help - it just may be more abrupt than you are used to", it's hard to decipher whether or not a poster is being rude. Mostly what I've experienced is just an - unfortunately - misinterpreted tone or message. Or you will have an OP who asks a question and would like advice; however, they only want to hear one side of things... so if another side is presented, they get upset.

Granted, there are some people when confronted or engaged in discussion can't play nice, but you'll have that everywhere. I've seen many more helpful forum posters than I have unhelpful or hurtful.

ETA: I'm in total agreement with what Emily said.... I just realized it might be confusing as to why I quoted it :)
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    Well...I'm sure this post was much more productive than posting in the threads that you wanted to post in.
  • dufus12
    Options

Emergency Medical Technician. They often drive ambulances. Knowing this, it's good to keep cab fare handy so you can opt out. :wink:

Mmmm. Nice to know the EMTs are so compassionate and considerate, You a fine example to your work, Mr M
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Until you or one of your family members is hurt or are dying and call 911 so we can come help. Then all of a sudden people are not so brave anymore and forget cabs exist.

I prefer EMTs who aren't mean when they're online. Otherwise, I'll brave a taxi ride. But I guess one can never know for sure...

I'm not sure I understand how your comment to him wasn't mean? I'm not defending MrM, he doesn't need me to - but don't you think your post is ironic? You're saying that people should take a cab instead of trust him to do his job, a fairly low blow - all because he's mean?

That makes you mean, too - by the way.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    The general forums can be a minefield I do contribute sometimes but have found that even the most innocuos comment can garner abuse. Although most people are fine there is usually one person who picks up your comment and tears it to shreds but I don't let it bother me as the information and advice I have had from the others has been fantastic. I have found that most of the internet forums I have been on can get a bit rough. The only one that doesn't is a gardening forum that I am a member of they are all really chilled and laid back. Don't give up but don't give the nasty comments of strangers a second thought.
  • BigLifter10
    Options

Mmmm. Nice to know the EMTs are so compassionate and considerate, You a fine example to your work, Mr M

I know an EMT where I live and he can be a real a**, but in his defense, people he helps can really take the cake too. Not that it's a good excuse, but I do see his point.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Soooooo, you realize you are doing the exact thing you are complaining of in your op….
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

So I take it your motto is: if you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

These posts never, ever fail to deliver hypocrisy.
  • dufus12
    Options
    I do. and I did it deliberately,,,,,,,Just to show how easy it is. But I would have preferred if he himself answered what an EMT was instead of getting defensive,,,,,,,