Speaking of What Not to Wear...your list

Options

Replies

• misschocolate82
    Options
    Oh dear, I think I must fall into the trashy department as Im currently wearing a tank top with a normal bra....to my defense its a bloody good bra (im not a shoe or handbag girl....im all about the underwear! hehe).

On the plus side, I refuse to wear a short skirt whilst overweight and would NEVER left my pants/thong show above my jeans. So only half trashy :tongue: I agree to looking sexy but legs and boobs should never be exposed together!

I've never got the pyjamas in public, which is a shockingly normal thing where I live...even one lass wore her slippers in the pub!
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I could make a pretty good list:

Women:
    - Makeup around your eyes that makes you look like a raccoon.
    - Glitter. Especially enough that it will get on me.
    - Too much foundation.
    - Leggings. Especially when you wear them as pants.
    - Skirts with Uggs. I know Uggs keep your feet warm, but what is going to keep your vagina warm?
    - The Gwen Stefani hair thing.
    - The wrong bra size. I don't care how big they are; it's how you wear them.
    - Sunglasses that cover more than half of your face. I like Aviators as much as the next guy, and even Clubmasters, but if you are wearing sunglasses that stretch from above your brow to below your lip, that is just too much (unless you are the type who should cover more of your face).
    - Ill-fitting clothes. Don't buy stuff that is too small then try to work your way into fitting into it. I know that will be controversial here, but odds are, you'll squeeze it on before it actually fits.
    - Gaudiness and/or fakeness. Just in general. It's bad.
    - Plastic shoes.

Men:
    - Skinny jeans.
    - Loud jewelry. Men's jewelry should be understated. A nice pair of links and a fashionable watch. There is acceptable neckwear, but you really have to be the type that can pull it off.
    - Lucky Charms watches or anything you would get in a cereal box. Sorry hipsters. It's terrible.
    - Short sleeve shirt with tie.
    - Warped shoes. If you have a job where you need to wear dress shoes, you can probably afford new dress shoes when the others are too scuffed or warped.
    - Comb overs.
    - Cell phone belt clips.
    - Too much stuff in your pockets. Lighten up. Literally.
    - Athletic socks in non-athletic situations. I don't want to see your Hanes ankle socks under your Johnston and Murphy kicks.

Unisex:
    - Sweatpants. I don't care if you are working out or lounging around the house. Sweatpants mean you are giving up.
    - Ill-fitting clothes. Have a little self-respect.
    - Pants with belt loops without wearing a belt. The loops are there for a reason.

I didn't read other people's additions to the topic so some of these have probably been mentioned already.
    -wtk
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    There's people round here wearing Ugg boots with bare legs and summer skirts :noway:
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    - Sweatpants. I don't care if you are working out or lounging around the house. Sweatpants mean you are giving up.

What if the person wearing sweatpants is on the way home from the gym? Or returning from a run? Surely both cases present perfectly legitimate reasons for wearing sports clothes in public?!

Also, I have to say that really, what people do in their own homes is entirely up to them! For half of the population, at certain times of the month, sweatpants indoors are a blessing - it doesn't mean we are giving up, it means we are women with stomach cramps. And PMS....so you'd better watch out! :laugh:
  • misschocolate82
    Options
    oh I forgot to biggies

wet look leggings....i mean, leggings are bad enough without adding extra shine yuk!

And leather trousers....on men or women!!!!! The only except to this is bikers!
    I just think of ross gellar lol
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I see I have a problem here. Perhaps someone here can advise me:

Mom jeans are bad, but I'm not to wear hip-huggers because I'm not at my goal weight. What jeans am I to wear???
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    Agree with socks and sandles
    Tap-out or Affliction t-shirts especially if your over 35
    Sport team attire on the ski slopes.
    Crocs or other plastic shoes
    Pajamas in public seriously you can't take the time to get dressed before going out
  • NancyCatherineWalker
    Options
    LOL I love my Croc's. But then again most of mine aren't the bubble style shoes with the holes in the top. I have a pair that look like regular sandles and 3 pair of Mary Jane style.

Spandex pants/thick tights if your pairing it with a shirt that doesn't cover your butt. The things were designed to be worn under long shirts or short skirts in the 80's - They are not a replacement for stand alone pants.

The tank top/bra thing.

Jeans that only go to the hip paired with boxers at the waist/ thong at the waist. Or anything that makes me instantly think "Pants on the Ground"

@everall Jeans should fit. You don't have to wear them at your waist but I don't want to see your knickers or crack if you bend over. Find a medium rise jean and you should be fine.
  • mirapaigew
    mirapaigew Posts: 107
    Options

Mom jeans are bad, but I'm not to wear hip-huggers because I'm not at my goal weight. What jeans am I to wear???

I think there's a happy medium. haha Hip huggers are not good on anyone. Your buttcrack hangs out if you barely even bend over. LOL And I'm not sure what "mom jeans" are. Regular jeans? You just wear your comfy jeans and tell people to shove off. lol
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Girls with platform shoes. You may think it's cute and you look taller but us men think one thing- STRIPPER

It's one thing to wear high heels but when the front of the shoe has a 2" riser as well as the heel we instantly want to make it rain singles up in this BIOTCH.....

So you're tellin' me.. all I have to do to make a little extra dough is wear platform shoes? I'm going to Payless right now! :laugh:
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I break the pajama rule a lot.. I can't tell you how many times I've run to Walgreens and (occasionally) Walmart in pajama pants/sweat pants and a hoodie to get something random. Granted, I only do this when it's cold outside. In the summer, of course I'll wear lounge shorts instead. :)

Pretty much everything else that was listed I agree with. Sometimes when I'm wearing tanks, my bra strap will show, but I at least try to match the bra to the top, and I will fix it constantly. I probably need new bras, but we're broke!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options

Straight-leg dark-wash jeans that sit about 2 inches below your belly-button. Trouser jeans rock.

No tapered legs, no pleats, no acid wash, no jeans all the way up past your belly button.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    1. Crocs. These things make me angry to contemplate on anyone over the age of 8. Younger than that, of course, they are perfect.
    2. Ed Hardy anything. Just no. You might as well write 'I'm a douche' across your forehead
    3. High heeled sneakers. You're not getting the best of both worlds here, you just look retarded
    4. Formal shorts/shorts with heels.
    5. Tights as pants
    6. Anything as pants that are not, in fact, actual pants.
    7. Trucker hats
    8. High waisted pants. I mean, really? Who looks good in these?
    9. Ironic T shirts
    10. Anything worn just to be 'different' (especially things that are worn to be different by being the same as everyone else who wants to be different'. Make your personality excel and take the lead, not your wardrobe.
    11. Ed Hardy, again.
    12. UGGs with mini-skirts. You're either hot or cold. You're not both. There is never weather that calls for your thighs to be exposed but your feet safely encased in fake furry boots.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options

Shirts that show bra straps. Don't wear a racer back tank with a regular bra. You will look trashy.

Worse when clear straps are used. Yuck! I don't know why they bother me so much but I can't stand when I see people with clear straps-- WE CAN STILL SEE YOUR BRA STRAPS! YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ANYBODY! INVEST IN SOMETHING STRAPLESS!

Can I get an AMEN? So true!
  • mcqlove87
    mcqlove87 Posts: 59
    Options

Shirts that show bra straps. Don't wear a racer back tank with a regular bra. You will look trashy.

Worse when clear straps are used. Yuck! I don't know why they bother me so much but I can't stand when I see people with clear straps-- WE CAN STILL SEE YOUR BRA STRAPS! YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ANYBODY! INVEST IN SOMETHING STRAPLESS!

Can I get an AMEN? So true!

I'd rather my regular strap show than those god-awful clear ones, and they're so uncomfortable! I understand that sometimes "the girls" need straps for extra support though! lol
  • LeanaJo
    LeanaJo Posts: 85
    Options
    velour tracksuits with a slogan across the bum.

jogging bottoms with ugg boots

leggings and short tops. yes, we can see your knickers/*kitten*, and no, i didnt want to.

normal/non-sports bra when at the gym

shorts and Tshirt when on a motorbike

polo shirts buttoned up to the top

comedy ties

white trainers unless youre doing sport. Definitely not with jeans

Shorts and t-shirt on a motorbike/motorcycle is quite dangerous!! YIKES! I have seen this recently a couple of times. Those people are really asking for trouble.
  • LeanaJo
    Options
    A regular bra whilst jogging. Every day I see the same woman jogging with her puppies spilling out of her vest top and nearly hitting her chin - it looks sooo painful.

Yeah, someone with their "puppies" that big, they definitely need an athletic bra. But I do wear a regular bra with jogging outfits (but I'm only a 34 C cup. So, I'm not big at all on top...LOL! No bouncy, bouncy here, much).
  • LeanaJo
    Options
    Women who wear clear strap bras with halter tops or tube tops...

This is a big NO-NO! It's okay to wear if you're wearing something with thin straps. But not a halter top or tube top. It's just not right, really. With a halter top, if you want more coverage or a boost, just wear a bikini top underneath. With a tube top, just wear a bikini top or a strapless type bra underneath.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    First thing that comes to mind are strapless tops. I've never once seen anyone not have to repeatedly hike them back up. In more expensive formal wear, they're made to stay up, but in those more casual, stretchy type tops, even the thinnest of women look RIDICULOUS hiking them up all the time.

Another fashion trend that I never got onboard with...knee boots with capris. It looks stupid. In my opinion.

Socks or pantyhose with sandals.

Black tights with ANYTHING other than black shoes. At our college formal, my friend wore a red dress, black hose, and red pumps. EWWWWWW!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    oh I forgot to biggies

wet look leggings....i mean, leggings are bad enough without adding extra shine yuk!

And leather trousers....on men or women!!!!! The only except to this is bikers!
    I just think of ross gellar lol

Thanks for the Biker exception on the Leather Pants. When I reach goal, I intend to reward myself with a pair of leather pants and retire my chaps.

Not everyone can pull off the leather pants, but I have and extremely cute butt.