Fast food? (Wendy's and Tim Horton's)

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    id go with a sandwich and soup from Timmies
    Timmies has as high (higher) sodium content than Wendy's and I find it harder to make arrangements with them in terms of not adding mayo (or how much they use in a sandwich) compared to other chains.

Honestly (and as I Canadian I know I am preaching heresy), I even find McDonalds' breakfast sandwiches and coffees better caloric bargains that Tim's.

I also recall checking out the chili between Tim's and Wendy's, cause I actually like Tim's chili a little bit better. But I believe I concluded that the Wendy one was a better bargain for me due to more protein for calories, and cheaper too!
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Wendy's has really good salads. Just watch the dressing amount you use. Or you could get a salad and chili and put the chili on the salad...that would be filling. Love Tim Horton's chili as well.
  • kerussll
    kerussll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't know what Tim Horton is, but I'd stay away from Little Caesar's. Wendy's has really good salads and I've heard their chili is good. I like the apple pecan chicken salad. That stats are pretty good on that one.
  • fitbunny93
    fitbunny93 Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fitbunny93 wrote: »
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I know this generally seems like a dumb question on its face, but are there any healthy fast food options? I've got A LOT better at planning in advance to avoid the temptation, when I forget a lunch that day or I work later than planned and get hungry... there's a Wendy's, Tim Horton's, and Little Caesar's in walking distance from my office. I avoid LC but tend to go to TH for either a buffalo chicken wrap with extra chicken, or a chili. I used to get a 4 piece spicy nugget from Wendy's but seems like a total waste of calories even though not huge. I'd like to try a burger or something once in a while but seems like a waste of fat and carbs. Not a big fry person anyway. Prefer TH chili to Wendy's. A little further there is Subway, KFC, or Big John's (basically steak subs). Subway I know is supposed to be healthy but I always feel like they have enormous amounts of bread with very little meat/protein. I occasionally grab grilled chicken from KFC, like a breast and wing grilled. Any thoughts on occasionally doing the drive through thing and what you can get?

I would suggest to pack a healthy lunch everyday. Set an alarm or have some kind of reminder so that you don't forget to pack your own healthy lunch. maybe have one day a week, say friday, that you can eat something from a fast food place. Majority of these fast food places do have some lower calorie options but are they really healthy? probably not. it's all artifical flavors, preservatives, loaded with chemicals and not nutrient filled. Not to mention high in fat and usually oily. however, if you absolutely have to, I'd say to stick to the salads and baked potatoe, chili as it was mentioned.

I'm a big fan of packing my own lunch (I get to eat what I like, I save money, I get to use the rest of my lunch break to walk around instead of waiting in line), but if someone wants to eat out, I don't think it is a problem. Things like artificial flavorings, preservatives, and chemicals -- these are just scary buzzwords. What harm are they going to do? The fat content can be controlled by what one orders.

I would suggest you do some research about what exactly goes into the food. Most are carcinogenic and lead to the rise of major health problems. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but this is backed up by research. If you seriously believe these are just "scary buzzwords" you need a reality check. Also I didn't say to never eat out. I just said it might be a good idea to do so just once a week like Friday.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    freeoscar wrote: »
    2 things I always keeps in mind when eating fast food: 1) because of the high sodium you'll retain water, so don't get upset that week if your weight doesn't behave as you expect it to based off of your CICO - it'll work its way out when you eat more normally. 2) Personally, I always assume that the calorie counts are underestimated by 10-20%. I just base that off of comparing to sandwiches I make myself (like a tuna salad sand. compared to Subway or Potbelly) - there's just no way those numbers add up unless they are using some magical calorie free mayo, and more likely they are using more mayo in practice than they are when they are test-measured.

This is another reason why I don't get mayo on sandwiches when I'm out - I know they would not be precise and probably slather on a glop of it without even thinking.

FWIW, back when I worked at McD's long ago the condiments like mayo, mustard and ketchup were all in tubes and dispensed using a caulk gun. The amount each burger got was pretty uniform. The ads always show someone slowly and lovingly spreading mayo on your burger with a knife but that's not what happens.

Makes sense; that's how we did the sour cream at Taco Bell.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I know this generally seems like a dumb question on its face, but are there any healthy fast food options? I've got A LOT better at planning in advance to avoid the temptation, when I forget a lunch that day or I work later than planned and get hungry... there's a Wendy's, Tim Horton's, and Little Caesar's in walking distance from my office. I avoid LC but tend to go to TH for either a buffalo chicken wrap with extra chicken, or a chili. I used to get a 4 piece spicy nugget from Wendy's but seems like a total waste of calories even though not huge. I'd like to try a burger or something once in a while but seems like a waste of fat and carbs. Not a big fry person anyway. Prefer TH chili to Wendy's. A little further there is Subway, KFC, or Big John's (basically steak subs). Subway I know is supposed to be healthy but I always feel like they have enormous amounts of bread with very little meat/protein. I occasionally grab grilled chicken from KFC, like a breast and wing grilled. Any thoughts on occasionally doing the drive through thing and what you can get?

I would suggest to pack a healthy lunch everyday. Set an alarm or have some kind of reminder so that you don't forget to pack your own healthy lunch. maybe have one day a week, say friday, that you can eat something from a fast food place. Majority of these fast food places do have some lower calorie options but are they really healthy? probably not. it's all artifical flavors, preservatives, loaded with chemicals and not nutrient filled. Not to mention high in fat and usually oily. however, if you absolutely have to, I'd say to stick to the salads and baked potatoe, chili as it was mentioned.

I'm a big fan of packing my own lunch (I get to eat what I like, I save money, I get to use the rest of my lunch break to walk around instead of waiting in line), but if someone wants to eat out, I don't think it is a problem. Things like artificial flavorings, preservatives, and chemicals -- these are just scary buzzwords. What harm are they going to do? The fat content can be controlled by what one orders.

I would suggest you do some research about what exactly goes into the food. Most are carcinogenic and lead to the rise of major health problems. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but this is backed up by research. If you seriously believe these are just "scary buzzwords" you need a reality check. Also I didn't say to never eat out. I just said it might be a good idea to do so just once a week like Friday.

What substances are you talking about? "Loaded with chemicals" isn't very specific. And if it is so dangerous, why is it okay to eat on Friday?
  • wizzybeth
    edited April 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    People are going to give you the generic feel good, "you don't have to give up anything" answer. That is, "just it it in your day." OK, so technically true. If you have 1600 calories you can squeeze a 1200 calorie Wendy's meal in and eat like a starving lunatic the rest of the day. That or get something boring like one of those Junior burgers that wouldn't fill up the average toddler. Or a salad (seriously, wtf are you going to Wendy's to get a salad?). Then again maybe you're Beastmode McSuperbro and you cut weight eating 4000 calories a day because you're 20 and spending 5 hours a day working out. Good for you. Here's the real world answer for most people. Go less often.

I've never eaten more than 500-600 calories with a fast food meal. I usually get small fries and only eat a couple. I don't need to eat the whole thing; I like just a few and that's enough.

I get a quarter pounder without cheese (Hate their cheese) and without mayo (adds wayyyy too many calories and ketchup is just fine) and ask for lettuce, tomato and onion (comes that way at Wendy's, have to ask for tomato at McDonald's). I get a small soda maybe...maybe...usually I just get water.
    Or a salad (seriously, wtf are you going to Wendy's to get a salad?).

Some of their salads are quite good.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I believe in eating ANYTHING you like as long as it fills within your calories. Like others, sodium is the biggest thing. Most fast food and restaurants are like bombs that explode! You will be retaining water from that. I do really like Wendy's Chili for the protein, low calories, etc. (I make mine at home based on the chili there but I use ground turkey - extra lean - and like it even better)
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

Yes. Because anyone who has eaten fast food will die. Fact.

Right?? Here we go again. There’s nothing wrong with these foods. Fitbunny, feel free to provide links to reputable research in support of your claims (Tip: Forks over Knives and its kin aren't reputable sources).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

Right?? Here we go again. There’s nothing wrong with these foods. Fitbunny, feel free to provide links to reputable research in support of your claims (Tip: Forks over Knives and its kin aren't reputable sources).

I'm crossing my fingers for Food Babe.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat out multiple times a week and the majority of the time am right at or under my calories for the day.

i do exercise to earn that food, though....
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Arby's

Arby's is delicious....but I would never call it healthy. It has some of the worst nutritional numbers I have ever seen.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

I'm crossing my fingers for Food Babe.

+1 :lol::grin:
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, for those saying there's too much bread for Subway sandwiches, I always ask for the wrap. Not sure how many calories it saves, though. Another bonus, it's neater to eat, since a lot less spills out :)
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    G33K_G1RL wrote: »
    Just a thought, for those saying there's too much bread for Subway sandwiches, I always ask for the wrap. Not sure how many calories it saves, though. Another bonus, it's neater to eat, since a lot less spills out :)

You're not saving any calories. That wrap has 310 calories. The breads are all under 300 calories....the highest one is the Italian Herbs and cheese for 250. The rest are all under 250.

• DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Many ask for lettuce wraps now.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    If you have 1600 calories you can squeeze a 1200 calorie Wendy's meal in and eat like a starving lunatic the rest of the day. That or get something boring like one of those Junior burgers that wouldn't fill up the average toddler. Or a salad (seriously, wtf are you going to Wendy's to get a salad?). Here's the real world answer for most people. Go less often.

Nothing wrong with going less often. You will save money, and be able to chose exactly what you eat.

But, one assumes, there is a reason why the OP wants to go to a fast food restaurant instead of bringing their own lunch, or just having a couple of protein bars and a piece of fruit.

So, within the context of the question and using approximate Canadian prices

McDouble add mustard, add lettuce, add tomato, add extra red onion and a glass of water please: about $2; ~380 Cal, 21g protein, 17g fat or skip the plastic cheese and order:
    Double ham, add mustard, add lettuce, add tomato, add extra red onion and a glass of water please: about $2 again; ~330 Cal, 18g protein, 13g fat.
    You can double the price and add a side garden salad @ ~50 Cal without the dressing

Wendy's small chili and a glass of water please: about $2, ~210 Cal without crackers and hot sauce, 17g protein, 6g fat
    Wendy's baked potato sour cream and chives (margarine not used): about $2, ~360 Cal, 9g protein, 6g fat.

Poor the chili on the potato and you have a ~570Cal 26g protein 12g fat 88g carb meal for $4.
    Get 2x double hamburgers and you have a ~660Cal, 36g protein, 26g fat, and 64g carb meal for $4.

I don't see 1200 calories and I don't think you would be THAT hungry when you're done. You may want to add 10 Cal to the McDonald stuff for the tomato and onion...
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    DebzNuDa wrote: »
    Many ask for lettuce wraps now.

That be different. Then you get to save a whole boatload of calories. That's how I get my burgers at Red Robin. Yum!