Calorie Counting 101

Options

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    kayfaei wrote: »
    MFP have given me 2400 cals to eat a day on the lose 2lb per week thing. I too am having problems eating all 2400. the closest i've come to it is about 1900. Am i doing more harm than good by not consuming all 2400? would I loose weight quicker eating all 2400?

I know it sounds silly.. I just really wish I knew if my body was in a deficit or not
    What is your height and weight?
    Research refeeds and leptin levels. If fat loss has stalled upping your caloric intake by 30% weight in protien grams 20 fat grams and rest carbs for 1 day has been proving to raise the metabolism as much at 10% for a few days after. Satiates hunger by raising the leptin levels. Lots of good info. Remember physics is an instrument of measure to what already excists. The human body has been functioning before we developed science to understand it.
    Refeeds are not needed for the average overweight/obese individual. This is a more advanced tactic needed by people trying to get very lean. If you have 20 or more lbs to lose, you don't need refeeds. You are much better just taking a 2 week diet break for every 8-10 weeks of dieting. The majority of people on this message board will probably never need to do a LFHC refeed.
  • Britxclarity
    Britxclarity Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    MFP have given me 2400 cals to eat a day on the lose 2lb per week thing. I too am having problems eating all 2400. the closest i've come to it is about 1900. Am i doing more harm than good by not consuming all 2400? would I loose weight quicker eating all 2400?

I know it sounds silly.. I just really wish I knew if my body was in a deficit or not
    Research refeeds and leptin levels. If fat loss has stalled upping your caloric intake by 30% weight in protien grams 20 fat grams and rest carbs for 1 day has been proving to raise the metabolism as much at 10% for a few days after. Satiates hunger by raising the leptin levels. Lots of good info. Remember physics is an instrument of measure to what already excists. The human body has been functioning before we developed science to understand it.
    Refeeds are not needed for the average overweight/obese individual. This is a more advanced tactic needed by people trying to get very lean. If you have 20 or more lbs to lose, you don't need refeeds. You are much better just taking a 2 week diet break for every 8-10 weeks of dieting. The majority of people on this message board will probably never need to do a LFHC refeed.

Height is 5" 11 and weight currently is 413.8
  • vismal
    Options

I am not trying to be rude whatsoever, but to get to 400+ lbs you had to eat far more than 2400 calories on a consistent basis for many years. What is making it hard now? I always recommend people eat a reasonable amount of calories so they have room to reduce later when stalls occur. You should be able to lose quite a lot of weight before having to dip below 2500 calories. I'd also point out that most people, especially beginners, are eating a fair bit more then they think they are. Are you doing all the things listed in the guide?
  • georgecarl7
    georgecarl7 Posts: 42 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I do not eat back my exercise calories and tend to stay under 1200 calories per day. I measure/weigh everything and find that it is very helpful to stay on track. When I do not measure/weigh things the pounds seem to creep back on.
  • Britxclarity
    Britxclarity Posts: 235 Member
    Options

I am not trying to be rude whatsoever, but to get to 400+ lbs you had to eat far more than 2400 calories on a consistent basis for many years. What is making it hard now? I always recommend people eat a reasonable amount of calories so they have room to reduce later when stalls occur. You should be able to lose quite a lot of weight before having to dip below 2500 calories. I'd also point out that most people, especially beginners, are eating a fair bit more then they think they are. Are you doing all the things listed in the guide?

I only asked if eating the the 2400 would make it go faster. And I just don't eat if I'm hungry. So that's why mine is always under 2400. For me to get where I am now it was only choosing the wrong food once I actually was hungry. And of course not realizing what the actual serving size was.
  • vismal
    Options

I only asked if eating the the 2400 would make it go faster. And I just don't eat if I'm hungry. So that's why mine is always under 2400. For me to get where I am now it was only choosing the wrong food once I actually was hungry. And of course not realizing what the actual serving size was.
    Eating more will not cause quicker weight loss. It will indeed cause slower weight loss than eating a bigger caloric deficit. There are however negative associated with eating too much of a deficit. As I said before, I always advise people to start off eating a caloric level that will leave them room to reduce in the future if they stall.

• kg666
    kg666 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Dude you really open my eyes I always measured peanut butter in tablespoons the measuring 1 and I have a manual scale but I'm going to get a digital one I'm really trying to lose weight thanks for the tip it was a major eye opener
  • georgecarl7
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories, should I?
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Bookmark!
  • vismal
    Options
    Depends on if you've set your calorie goal with your level of activity in mind.

• kathypotter507
    kathypotter507 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Calories Burned..now that is my problem.I have burned an average of 400 calories a day on a 1200 counting day..I stay up late and end up eating them all.Oi believe I have sabotaged myself once agian. .I am losing weight so slowly
    ...Discouraged
  • georgecarl7
    Options
    I do not have my calorie goal with exercise in mind. My calorie goal is 1200 and if I burn 400 on the treadmill it shows I can consume 1600 calories, but I am staying at the 1200 or less.
  • ThandoMpumlwana
    ThandoMpumlwana Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am three days into a new lifestyle. Thank you for this information. I will keep coming back for reference
  • vismal
    Options
    I do not have my calorie goal with exercise in mind. My calorie goal is 1200 and if I burn 400 on the treadmill it shows I can consume 1600 calories, but I am staying at the 1200 or less.
    1200 is pretty low unless you are a petite woman. I wouldn't eat all the calories burned but I'd consider eating back a portion.

• georgecarl7
    Options
    1200 is pretty low unless you are a petite woman. I wouldn't eat all the calories burned but I'd consider eating back a portion.

I stand 5'2" and 190 lbs. I lost 50 lbs last year and I am on the road to shedding anther 30.
  • 12Ace12
    12Ace12 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • newashley
    newashley Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thanks! I am restarting and this is just what I needed to begin. My goal is to lose 40 pounds, and this is a great way to start :)
  • prettywingss04
    prettywingss04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm bit confused.
    Im a female, 5'6 155 pounds, trying to lose 10 pounds roughly.
    Based on my TDEE on scoobycalcuator, i should be eating at 1856 with my 20% deficit. This is with 3-5 hours of workout per week.
    I do moderate amount of strength training for legs mostly and arms, back and abs. I don't know how to log that on MFP so when it reads, I'm getting a number around 1356 because i have a sedentary desk job. My cardio on workout days is only about 15-20 minutes total, so it doesn't show much burned. How do i log this correctly? it confuses me because I'm not sure if i actually eat a deficit. Its only been about a week now with tracking calories but I want to be sure I'm doing it right.
    Thanks !
  • soonillbehot
    soonillbehot Posts: 26 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Is it okay to eat around 950 calories a day? I run 5k everyday though which counts as a 400-calorie exercise, so I ate around 1350 calories a day, sometimes more since I prefer to walk to uni rather than taking the bus like everyone else.

Need to get to 65 kg before festival season starts and I want to surprise my friends and family.
    Is it okay to proceed? I eat pretty healthy. Vegetables, fruits and protein pretty much everyday.
  • ShapingTheLaw
    ShapingTheLaw Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread Vismal! I lost 25 lbs. I need just 7 lbs to lose to reach my goal. I exercise rigorously 5-6 days a week. In my 20s I was always in excellent shape. I exercised and kept a food diary with paper and pencil. MFP is a godsend. I love the fact that you mentioned weighing everything. When I lost the first ten lbs and couldn't move the scale, I invested in a CHEAP SCALE from Walmart for $10!!!!! It helped me lose the next 15 lbs. I weigh and measure everything. I'm so used to it now that it's not a big deal. AND I want to add that I BEFORE even entering a restaurant, I Google the menu so that I'll know what to order before salivating over the menu. Hope this helps anyone out there. Wish me luck on my next 7 lbs.!