What am I doing wrong? Less than 16 lbs lost in 4 months (pics)

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Emmatyan wrote: »
    It's hard to tell from one picture at one angle, but I'd agree that you don't look overly thin in that picture.

That's what I'm saying. There is a way to go for me and it's not going to be unhealthy.
    The flip side is that you don't look like you need to lose any weight in that second picture, though.

Now, if you want to lose some weight/fat, that doesn't seem irrational or dangerous, but focus on doing it in a reasonable way that works for you.

Realistically, though, it would probably be better to focus on measurements than on weight, per se. You could end up heavier on the scale but looking smaller. The latter is almost surely the more useful criterion.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    sandryc79 wrote: »
    Just stop it. You look fantastic. Seriously. ..posts like this make me so sad. What are we doing as a society when a woman with a body like that says "why am I so fat?" and thinks existing on 900 calories is an acceptable way to treat her body?

I'm not saying I'm fat. I'm alright. I just want to be PERFECT!:) I want to be all muscles, tight and beautiful, strong as a lion. My inspiration are these guys :)
    5wronRhJb3hTKWpvtHc13g-article.jpg

I don't know about perfection, but to me you have an amazing body that looks very healthy. I love the soft lines and curves of a healthy woman and find it much more physically attractive than extremely thin or even sculpted/hard bodies. Ultimately though, I think you have to get to where you feel healthy, strong and confident. Just don't let anyone make your body image for you.
  • MisRka
    MisRka Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Do you mind if I add you to friends then? ^_^[/quote]

But of course :)
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Just stop it. You look fantastic. Seriously. ..posts like this make me so sad. What are we doing as a society when a woman with a body like that says "why am I so fat?" and thinks existing on 900 calories is an acceptable way to treat her body?

I'm not saying I'm fat. I'm alright. I just want to be PERFECT!:) I want to be all muscles, tight and beautiful, strong as a lion. My inspiration are these guys :)
    5wronRhJb3hTKWpvtHc13g-article.jpg

That's from steroid usage.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I only wish I looked as good as you do. I'm on my way though. Also, when I was your age, even though I looked good, I still had the impression that I wasn't perfect either. It didn't matter what anyone told me. I had a self esteem problem, but mine is a long story. Anyways, you look close enough to perfect in my opinion.
  • Emmatyan
    Emmatyan Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Whoa! Emma, your ticker says you have 24 pounds left to lose. You might want to rethink that.

Why do you think that? I had 115 lbs once and it looked perfect:) So this is my goal.

When were you 115? You are pretty young. If you were 115 several years ago, your body likely has changed in a way that means you look just as good at a different weight.

This. You were that weight back in high school. Body composition changes over time. That's why you shouldn't aim for a number. Just because you were once that number and looked a certain way doesn't mean you'll be the same if you got back to that number now. The weight I was at just five years ago would look crazy on me now.

I honestly don't see where twenty five pounds could come off your body. I think the number is making you see things that don't exist. For a smaller person losing a pound a month is excellent progress. We simply don't burn enough calories to lose at a higher rate in a safe manner.

Take some time to calculate your tdee through an online calculator and see how much you should really be eating because you're eating too little right now. Really look at yourself and appreciate the progress you've made.

I posted a picture of what I looked like with 121 lbs ( not much difference) just two years ago. It's much better than what I have now, so I think I'mm stick to my goal. Well, until I like myself in th mirror:)
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Today was the day I first stepped on scales since June 2014, and frankly speaking, I was shocked. 61 kilos!! ( 134 lbs)
    Thing is, I work out and keep my diet since 01/01/2015. On that day I looked like this:
    hHkYfWUwn3g.jpg
    (around 65 kilos(150 lbs) waist 80, hips 113)
    Since then I started working out 25-60 minutes every day and cut on my calories intake. Now I hardly consume even 900 a day and feel great. I still work out every day, mostly strength training, intervals, and I can see muscles building up. I've never had them before!
    Now I look like this:
    ICyonSSXBZg.jpg
    (61 kilos(134 lbs) waist 69, hips 99)
    Can you see the difference from the previous photo? It seems like there is a difference, I can see that and feel that, but what the hell is going on with the weight? What am I doing wrong? Mayhaps I'm not seeing myself correctly, so to speak?

At first when I saw your post I was a bit concerned, but you are 5'4 so 115 would be in the healthy range. I would say you should definitely up your calories though. You are not getting enough protein and eating that few calories, your going to have a higher rate of muscle wastage (you lose a bit of muscle, even losing weight safely, but when you do not provide your body with enough food, this increases). When you lose more muscle, your BMR decreases (which isn't perfectly calculated on MFP anyway). Meaning you will need even less calories. I don't know about you, but you will get tired of eating that little on a regular basis.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 900 calories, you are not gaining muscles. You are losing fat and revealing muscles that were under it but not building more. And you are likely retaining water due to lifting weights, which will make your muscles appear larger and more visible as well.

That makes sense. So I should consume more calories? I'm actually quite afraid of that.

If you want to build muscle, yes, consume more calories. You can't build something out of nothing. Right now you are giving your body zero fuel to help build muscle.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,751 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Before you head there, because we already had a thread recently of someone at an already healthy weight trying to lose weight to look thinner and having it backfire on her in a spectacularly bad fashion:

A) you look good. Very good.
    B ) you do not look like you have 25lb of extra available fat on you. Ask at the exercise forums for help in figuring out your fat %.
    C) the picture you show is of a guy on steroids. You are not going to get muscles like that as a girl, without drugs, while eating anywhere close to 900 calories.
    D) you are already saying things that are disturbing (something about your body being sleepy or sedated or something), one of the things that happens when you undereat is that your body tries to slow you down to conserve energy.
    E) you really really need to tighten your logging and figure out exactly how many calories you're burning and how many you need on a daily basis and use the process of reverse dieting to increase your calories to maintenance. You will probably continue to lose weight in the process unless you just start eating at tdee in which case you will probably gain.
    F) at this point the likelihood that you are losing both fat and muscle at the same time as you lose weight is extremely high. High deficit, unknown but probably not high enough protein consumption. At least you are lifting progressively heavier weights which should be helping.
    G) I think that even though everyone is saying good job based on the results we see today... they won't be saying that if you continue trying to lose weight.
    H) You do know that at maintenance you can continue lifting weights and replacing fat with muscles in a slow process that will at least make sure you are building, as opposed to inadvertently losing, muscle mass.
    I) where do you think you are storing 11.35 kilos (25lbs) of fat?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The first mention on "fat" in this thread is from you.

Yes, she said "why am I so heavy." If she didn't think it were fat she wouldn't be trying to lose it by cutting calories? Just my assumption that most people are not trying to lose muscle or organs. But that was an assumption.
    She said, "I'm not saying I'm fat. I'm alright." So, apply that old saying about assumptions here.

There's a difference between wanting to lose some weight, even wanting to lose some fat, and being "so fat."
  • StarlightAria
    StarlightAria Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    At the risk of being redundant, I don't think you need to lose more weight, and you're definitely not fat. If you want more definition, you have to eat MORE. Try protein shakes. It takes a lot of calories to "bulk". Work on lifting and strength exercises.
  • Emmatyan
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I thought that needs a little update. Perhaps those "after" photos look too flattering, so I made new ones right now. Do you still thing there's not enough room for extra 11 kilos of fat?
    ufK3px8Tj3o.jpgkemBPZhWSss.jpg
  • Emmatyan
    Options

What are you afraid of?

Gaining more weight, of course(
  • Emmatyan
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

That's from steroid usage.

It's an ispiration, not a goal really :)

• StarlightAria
    StarlightAria Posts: 81 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You're still not fat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you fishing for insults?
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I would look at it this way - in highschool you were a child. You are an adult now and adults weigh more than children. I met with a trainer years ago who asked me what my size goal was. I said Size 8, and she asked me to be honest - had I ever been a size 8 before? I could honestly answer that I had been, prior to having 2 children. My body changed, unless I have my hip bones shaved there is no way I will ever get a pair of size 8 pants over them. My frame changed. My ribcage is wider. My feet are a size bigger. Your body will evolve as you age, and a person can do real damage to themselves by holding onto to body ideals that are unsuitable for your age and how you have evolved.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

What are you afraid of?

Gaining more weight, of course(

A fear that you will gain weight if you eat more than 900 calories is a sign that something is wrong.
  • Emmatyan
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Before you head there, because we already had a thread recently of someone at an already healthy weight trying to lose weight to look thinner and having it backfire on her in a spectacularly baaaad fashion:
    A
    A) you look good. Very good.
    B) you do not look like you have 25lb of extra available fat on you. Ask at the exercise forums for help in figuring out your fat %.
    C) the picture you show is of a guy on steroids. You are not going to get muscles like that as a girl, without drugs, while eating anywhere close to 900 calories.
    D) you are already saying things that are disturbing (something about your body being sleepy or sedated or something), one of the things that happens when you undereat is that your body tries to slow you down to conserve energy.
    E) you really really need to tighten your logging and figure out exactly how many calories you're burning and how many you need on a daily basis and use the process of reverse dieting to increase your calories to maintenance. You will probably continue to lose weight in the process unless you just start eating at tdee in which case you will probably gain.
    F) at this point the likelihood that you are losing both fat and muscle at the same time as you lose weight is extremely high. High deficit, unknown but probably not high enough protein consumption. At least you are lifting progressively heavier weights which should be helping.
    G) I think that even though everyone is saying good job based on the results we see today... they won't be saying that if you continue trying to lose weight.
    H) You do know that at maintenance you can continue lifting weights and replacing fat with muscles in a slow process that will at least make sure you are building, as opposed to inadvertently losing, muscle mass.
    I) where do you think you are storing 11.35 kilos (25lbs) of fat?

A) Thank you)
    B) If not 25 then 15 at least
    C)I know, it's not a goal, it's an inspiration! To work hard, you know) The goal would be closer to this ss4PEflQl5s.jpg
    D) No, you misuderstood, I was speaking about my job, that I have to sit on a chair for 15 hours in a row, zero activity.
    I) In my belly and hips. Just look at the updated photo :D
  • Emmatyan
    Options
    Are you fishing for insults?

Gods, no! Have I done something bad? Sorry if i have!