How much $ is your gym?

Options

Replies

• KristinaG_is_losing_it
    KristinaG_is_losing_it Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    $50/month + $20/training session. I pay for my training sessions and my fiance pays for my monthly membership fee. I'm getting married in September so after that I'll probably only do my sessions 1x/week (right now I'm 3x/week) I pay upfront when they do specials ($750/36 sessions) so I don't feel the sting as much but yeah I know I'm paying a lot but it keeps me accountable and I enjoy it.
    ETA: My gym membership includes pools/sauna/hot tub, unlimited access to classes (zumba/hiit/kickboxing/yoga,etc),cardio machines, heavy weight room, turf and track.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    $10/mo, with a $39/year fee.

No, it's not PF.

I'm in southeastern Connecticut, for what it's worth.

@TR0berts The Edge?

OP, you never stated where in the country you live so really, 77$/mo doesn't seem too absurd.

I pay 10$/mo for PF so I can use cardio machines on crappy weather days and I lift in my basement with a bike trainer in my living room. I have the space for my own treadmill but there noise separation between myself and my neighbors isn't that great and I'm being respectful, otherwise I'd have no gym membership
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    myturn15 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am just trying to get a feel for monthly prices of gyms. I am currently trying to decide between two. It is a $20 difference a month and the two are very different. I like the more expensive one, of course. They open 30 minutes early in morning, which I will use.
    I just wanted to see if $77/month is totally outrageous or high average. What do you pay/month?

Selecting a gym should be based on it providing what you need to meet your goals. Ten dollars a month is great if you can accomplish what you need to accomplish in a workout (I can’t deadlift there, then I can’t). With my goals and busy schedule, I have three memberships (and some equipment at home so there’s no escape):
    - Gym near office is a big box style gym that my company pays half of is $36 per month.
    - Anytime Fitness close to my house and branches all over the the place is $60 for my wife and I.
    - Crossfit box near my house is $120 per month (and I’ve paid as much as $30 for a single drop in when I’m out of town).

A gym membership is an investment. That is if you’ll pick one that will give you the equipment/classes/opening times needed to meet your goals and you actually go.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I pay $17/month for LA Fitness and $35/month for my Cornerstone Club membership. I wil be quiting LA Fitness soon, though, as I prefer and go to Cornerstone more.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

No, it's not PF.

@TR0berts The Edge?

OP, you never stated where in the country you live so really, 77$/mo doesn't seem too absurd.

I pay 10$/mo for PF so I can use cardio machines on crappy weather days and I lift in my basement with a bike trainer in my living room. I have the space for my own treadmill but there noise separation between myself and my neighbors isn't that great and I'm being respectful, otherwise I'd have no gym membership

Summit Fitness, in Norwich. It used to be World Gym, but they went on their own a year and half (maybe 2-1/2 years?) ago.

Never heard of The Edge. Just did a google search - looks like their closest gym is in Hamden. Not particularly close to me.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    $80 a month. Pricey, but that includes 24 hour access, towel service, 3 pools, indoor track, dry sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, a swimsuit dryer, and a personal locker...in addition to all the fitness equipment, of course.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    free unless I buy something new for my home gym

29509743.png
  • themunchkinmaker
    themunchkinmaker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work for DoD and get to use the military base gym for free. I still keep a YMCA membership for my wife and kids, though. That runs $48 per month, and it would be $60 for the whole family if I joined. I've never looked at their weight room, but I bet I could do most of my exercises there.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

No, it's not PF.

@TR0berts The Edge?

Summit Fitness, in Norwich. It used to be World Gym, but they went on their own a year and half (maybe 2-1/2 years?) ago.

Never heard of The Edge. Just did a google search - looks like their closest gym is in Hamden. Not particularly close to me.

Totally just realized I messed up the compass @TR0berts
    If you're ever out towards Hamden, Meriden, etc get a day pass and try them out, pretty decent gym for the same price you're paying (which is why I thought Edge lol)
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I pay $12 a month for 24 and $12 a month for my work gym. Both are 24 hours except for one 24 location. Work gym is pretty nice with towels provided, cable, showers, lockers. 24 varies per facility of course as far as towels and amenities. I also go to a specialty gym that is along the lines of Crossfit prices but it's worth it to me.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    $31.00 per month with unlimited classes.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I've said this before on threads discussing gym prices, but have never received a response or feedback, but I'll throw it out there again:
    Check with your health insurance for gym membership deals and discounts! Via a plan through my health insurance I pay $25.00 per month and I can go to ANY gym I want. Not just in my city. Nationwide. Super cheap and handy. Yes, you have to sign up at each gym, but that's a small price to pay, IMHO. (yes, I'm sure there are a few gyms that don't participate in this plan, but whatever; I don't travel much)

Thanks for sharing. I actually get a corporate discount (though I signed up for a special that is lower so I do that) but had no idea about the health insurance one. If I ever want to join another gym I shall keep that in mind!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    $54/month for 2 adults; basic gym; no sauna, pool, steam room or hot tub; open 24/7 and within 4 miles of home so very convenient.
  • timmyttt0418
    timmyttt0418 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    24.99 a month. 24 hour fitness
  • CarolinaAcorn
    CarolinaAcorn Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    $100 per month.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Save your money. Search craigslist for a set of used weights, a rack, and bench. Shouldn't cost you a whole lot and people are always selling them. I can't imagine it would cost any more than $250 if you look around and are patient.

Set up a 10'x10' area in your home and use your weights there. They'll pay themselves off in 4 months and afterwards you'll be saving a whopping $925/year.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I pay $70/mo, but I spend so much time there it is worth it. Lots of amenities like two lap pools, outdoor pools, rock climbing walls, basketball courts, track, a cafe etc. plus they have 6 Oly racks an absolute ton of other lifting equipment, which means I spend less time waiting for people to finish their workouts. You get what you pay for usually.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    We pay $15/person every 2 weeks for Gold's. I am sure there was a signup fee but I forget what it was. Offers classes (spin, zumba, yoga, bodypump, others), childcare, pool, hot tub, sauna, cardio theatre room, additional cardio machines on the floor, basketball court, yoga studio, and all the machines, freeweights. Also has a couple Smith racks, a couple cages, and an Oly platform. Trainers are PRICEY and it can crowd @ peak times, but I find the amenities worth the basic cost. Class schedules are vaguely annoying, so I only bother with one class.

I am going to have to look into our insurance, now that I have seen it mentioned twice in this thread! Thanks!
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    $30/month for just me...have access to four gyms though.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    $45/month