The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    dbienz wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of this before? Nightshade vegetables worsening ailments and pain?! A friend sent me this today...

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/nightshade-vegetables-can-worsen-pain/

I've asked a few rheumatologists; all of them have said not to worry about it because there's no evidence it makes any difference. Which is good, because tomatoes, garlic, and onions make up the fourth food group in the Acrylics house-- pasta sauce.
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like to exercise in the mornings (currently doing PiYo) and eat right after. Exercising after I've recently eaten tends to give me stomach cramps. One of my friends told me that I should eat before I exercise because "Exercising before you eat doesn't do you any good. Your body doesn't burn anything because your metabolism hasn't been activated." This was when I was relatively new to exercise and calorie counting so I gave a weak rebuttal about your body having to burn something while moving. She just shook her head at me. "Nope, it doesn't do a thing!" Good thing I didn't listen to her nonsense...
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    giusa wrote: »
    Something that has always boggled my mind, can someone explain the concept behind ordering a large Big Mac value meal and a diet coke?

She told me it was to save on cals...

I always ordered Diet Coke because I liked the taste more than regular coke. Maybe that makes me weird. The only 'regular' soda I'd drink was Mt. Dew.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    As fate would have it I was busy ready this very thread when a colleague told me that her friend was on the blood group diet and was told she couldn't eat any white meat because it makes her fat. Apparently mutton and beef is better for weight loss for her blood group.

I just stared and thought "well if you eat an entire chicken with skin then yes, a lamb chop is probably healthier".
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    A friend at work told me she was eliminating carbs and fat and eating mostly protein, while she munched her way through a large bag of Cheetos. Because, cheese!

LMAO, I liked this thread best when it was just funny stories instead of the IIFYM arguing.

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Many over the years.

Got told by an obese lady that the sugar free pudding I was eating would make me fat.

Just yesterday, "I love banana bread, but it is so fattening". Me thinking, well so is everything if you eat too much of it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I know I've posted this before, but I don't think it was this thread. I used to work with a girl who cut out carbs and couldn't work out why she wasn't losing weight. She wasn't eating any rice, potato, pasta, bread, grains, crackers etc etc... she was complaining about this while eating a bag of jelly beans. I asked about the jelly beans, she said one of the reasons she was attracted to the low carb diet was being able to snack on them as much as she liked...

... you should have seen the look on her face when I gently explained that sugar was a carb. She had no idea.
  • leslieanneupton
    leslieanneupton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A girl at work last week went on and on about how "drinking cow's milk is soooo soooo bad for you"...while she was drinking an XL Slurpee from 7/11. Not really broscience but the hypocrisy was amusing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't work but I just saw 'drink water to boost your metabolism'. Wouldn't that be nice.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    dbienz wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of this before? Nightshade vegetables worsening ailments and pain?! A friend sent me this today...

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/nightshade-vegetables-can-worsen-pain/

So all I have to do is eat brie and gouda and I can still have my nightshades.

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    As fate would have it I was busy ready this very thread when a colleague told me that her friend was on the blood group diet and was told she couldn't eat any white meat because it makes her fat. Apparently mutton and beef is better for weight loss for her blood group.

I just stared and thought "well if you eat an entire chicken with skin then yes, a lamb chop is probably healthier".
    It would keep me thin. Mutton and beef are SOOO much more expensive than chicken.

• curlywagg
    curlywagg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    seric2000 wrote: »
    I have a coworker who refuses to eat meat. I told her it was nice that she was a vegetarian.
    She said "no, I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't eat anything with muscles because I read that muscle weighs so much more than fat and I don't want to ingest all that heavy meat muscle". (shovels in the macaroni and cheese)
    Go ahead...be flabbergasted.

WOW!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I know I've posted this before, but I don't think it was this thread. I used to work with a girl who cut out carbs and couldn't work out why she wasn't losing weight. She wasn't eating any rice, potato, pasta, bread, grains, crackers etc etc... she was complaining about this while eating a bag of jelly beans. I asked about the jelly beans, she said one of the reasons she was attracted to the low carb diet was being able to snack on them as much as she liked...

... you should have seen the look on her face when I gently explained that sugar was a carb. She had no idea.
    Next thing your are going to tell me is that rinsing my rice does not wash out the carbs.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    A friend at work told me she was eliminating carbs and fat and eating mostly protein, while she munched her way through a large bag of Cheetos. Because, cheese!

LMAO, I liked this thread best when it was just funny stories instead of the IIFYM arguing.

AGREED!

Jaw literally dropped.

Please continue to share your broscience stories. They are providing excellent entertainment! I'm still shocked by the story about the girl who doesn't eat meat because muscle weighs more than fat. That still has to be the winner!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Zx14chick wrote: »

AGREED!

Jaw literally dropped.

Please continue to share your broscience stories. They are providing excellent entertainment! I'm still shocked by the story about the girl who doesn't eat meat because muscle weighs more than fat. That still has to be the winner!

Yeah, agreed on the muscle in meat story as the winner so far. I find myself hoping that the poster actually made it up, just so I don't lose all faith in the human species, but it's probably true. :'(
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Yep that about covers it. It's super spammy.

I have a Facebook friend who sells it and when she first started posting about it I messaged her to let her know that her account had been hacked. Whoops.

I have a FB friend who is constantly bouncing from MLM to MLM and adding me to groups- the first couple times, I notified her of the "hack". Now I'm just peeved that I actually have to log into FB on the computer to remove myself because the "leave group" link on mobile is apparently broken.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »
    Here are my two favorites!
    1. Dark urine is not a sign of dehydration, it's a sign that your kidneys are working to reabsorb the water your body needs! Huh? So why is it when a doctor thinks you are dehydrated one of the first things checked is the color of your urine. :*

2. Blending fruits and veggies into a smoothie destroys the fiber and nutrients mainly because of the heat generated during the blending process kills the nutrient and the act of blending kills the fiber. That must be one high-powered blender!!! :s

I doubt #2 is anywhere remotely true, but I have a high-powered blender (BlendTec) that will "cook" soup on the highest settings. Seriously, warm enough to eat.

Ed Blonz, Ph.D., a nutrition scientist and an assistant clinical professor at the University of California, San Francisco does a nutrition Q&A Column online has said that he totally disagrees that blending fruits and veggies destroys the fiber and nutrients but it does break the fiber into smaller particles. It's still the same fiber. And Dr. Katz (Oprah's nutrition expert) has said that he could not actually find any studies on this but did say "hard to imagine how a machine could do more damage than your molars, stomach acid, and digestive tract."

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Something that has always boggled my mind, can someone explain the concept behind ordering a large Big Mac value meal and a diet coke?

I do that all the time. If I want to fit a fast-food meal into my day, it helps to shave off the extra 300-400 calories from the soda. I don't think it's going to magically "cancel out" the food calories; it just lets me fit the meal I want into my calorie allotment more easily. The several hundred calories I save on the soda can be used to have a fairly filling lunch or dinner on the same day so that I'm not eating one fast-food meal and nothing else that day.

• deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    this is my new favorite thread omg, im dying. (the "Eating for your blood type" diet officially blew my mind)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

You understand that 1040 calories (Big mac VM + Diet Coke) is less than 1320 calories (Big Mac VM + Coke), I hope? So yes it saves you significant calories.