3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    giusa wrote: »
    Something that has always boggled my mind, can someone explain the concept behind ordering a large Big Mac value meal and a diet coke?

She told me it was to save on cals...

I did the equivalent to that (pizza and diet coke, say--never liked Big Macs), because I like diet coke more than coke and can't see wasting calories on a soda. Spending calories on a pizza, that I can see.

Fair enough. I have a buddy who will order Molson 67 to save the 60 calories per beer (because he's watching his weight, you know) even though he doesn't really like it, but has no problem shoveling through a platter-sized plate of nachos with lord knows how many calories in it. That, I can't understand.

Perhaps skimping on good beer allowed him to fit the nachos into his daily calorie goal. Why is that hard to understand? If I bite the bullet and drink a Bud Lite, you better believe it's because I'm using those calories for A) more crap beer, or B) delicious fried food at the bar.

Does not compute. One does not skimp on beer. :smiley:

Whoa, buddy. Whoa. I said good beer. Molson 67 and Bud Lite barely qualify as beer, let alone good beer. You will never see me skimping on a quality lager. But sometimes sacrifices must be made and, in certain cases (based on beer selection and nacho quality), I would choose food over beer.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    What is this "cheating"? There are choices, and consequences. And sometimes the consequence of a choice (a Big Mac, for example, or, in my case, a Panera chocolate filled pastry and a ham and cheddar souffle) are that, weight goals notwithstanding, one feels really satisfied emotionally for having given him/herself permission to make that choice.

The calorie consequences may not further a goal of weight loss or healthy weight maintenance, but it's just one meal, and it's not really anybody's business.

I make the choice to have various indulgences. Typically I stay within my calorie goal for the day; not always. If I am high on a given day, I am typically low overall for the week.

Most important, nobody (including myself) has permission to be a food cop at me.
  • Jaffsa
    Jaffsa Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    seric2000 wrote: »
    I have a coworker who refuses to eat meat. I told her it was nice that she was a vegetarian.
    She said "no, I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't eat anything with muscles because I read that muscle weighs so much more than fat and I don't want to ingest all that heavy meat muscle". (shovels in the macaroni and cheese)
    Go ahead...be flabbergasted.

HAHA!! I just had water flow out my nose from laughing at this one!
    Thanks! I really needed a good laugh today! :wink:
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    A few friends of my parents are really, really large people. And the wife is a "nutritionist" and is always trying to give me advice as to how I should eat and so on.

So one day they were visiting my parents and she was talking about these great big navel oranges being in season (I love oranges!!) and how her and her husband went through a box of them in a couple days . . . but then she started talking about how she doesn't understand why they aren't losing weight when all they're eating is fruits and vegetables. I said to her well if you eat too much of anything it's not good for you. She seriously looked at me and said "Oh no - that's only for the bad stuff, you can't eat too many oranges"

I tried to tell her oranges are really high in carbs and sugars and she said back to me "No - fruits don't have carbs in them."

I just said oh ok, and ended it there.

Oh....my....God.......
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options
    Something that has always boggled my mind, can someone explain the concept behind ordering a large Big Mac value meal and a diet coke?

I did the equivalent to that (pizza and diet coke, say--never liked Big Macs), because I like diet coke more than coke and can't see wasting calories on a soda. Spending calories on a pizza, that I can see.

Fair enough. I have a buddy who will order Molson 67 to save the 60 calories per beer (because he's watching his weight, you know) even though he doesn't really like it, but has no problem shoveling through a platter-sized plate of nachos with lord knows how many calories in it. That, I can't understand.

Perhaps skimping on good beer allowed him to fit the nachos into his daily calorie goal. Why is that hard to understand? If I bite the bullet and drink a Bud Lite, you better believe it's because I'm using those calories for A) more crap beer, or B) delicious fried food at the bar.

JPW1990 wrote: »

She told me it was to save on cals :s

140 calories. Sounds like the cornerstone of IIFYM.

Don't blame IIFYM on stupid people. 34g of fat, 47g of carbs and 24 g or protein doesn't fit nobody's macros haha

I suggest you go ask some of the IIFYM proponents around here who brag about how they always make room for McDonald's, ice cream, cheesecake, and anything else they want.

I will say this, yes you can portion control ice cream and etc to meet your daily requirement and yes it allows you to not completely give up the foods you love but come on! 34 g of fat! Even if you followed 40-40-30 carbs/protein/fat, most have already blown through a third if not half of their daily fat intake on the Big Mac alone while only getting maybe a tenth of protein and maybe, MAYBE a quarter of carbs. You would have to eat nothing but pure rice and the leanest of meat for the rest of the day to meet your macros after a Big Mac.

Don't get me wrong, my weekends are full of cheat meals and I do my best to follow IIFYM, but I also know that if I plan to down a pizza and some wine, I better be only drinking protein shakes, lean beef and spinach or else that's day is a fail for IIFYM. Same goes for this Big Mac and diet cola discussion.

Get butt hurt all you want but Big Macs are typically too big for IIFYM, just call it what it is, a cheat day

Sorry to latch on your response JPW, not directed at you. More so at everyone else who loves disgusting Big Macs. And FYI, I usually eat 20% fat on at 2500 calrorie diet which is 500 calories of fat a day, which equates to 56 g of fat a day. Even if I did the basic 30% for maintenance I would only be allotted 83 g.

Instead of a Big Mac 34 g in one sitting if rather have some 10 oz herbed seasoned chicken, triple the protein and less than half the fat or even better...get off my lazy *kitten* and cook a REAL burger for similar stats of the chicken.

#realiifym

I think you may have misinterpreted the Y in IIFYM.

If I wanted to fit a Big Mac into my daily intake -- and I certainly could -- I would be doing it such that it fits my macros, not yours. It would still be "real" IIFYM, whatever that is; it wouldn't be a "cheat meal" or a "cheat day" or whatever you would like to call it.

(And I don't even like Big Macs. I'm a Jalapeno Double kind of guy, on the rare occasion I go to McD's.)

More power to ya, I just provided my stats to prove my point, the math behind and show that it Big Macs don't typically fit (I'm a bigger dude too, 6'2" 232 lbs. Also Jalapeño doubles are awesome and are a better substitute for a Big Mac, similar protein, 11 less g of fat and 12 less g of carbs). My main point is, a Big Mac barely fits or if it does you have more sacrifices for the rest of your meals to make up for it. There are far better cheat options than a Big Mac that give you more bang for macros.

Fair enough. I just object to the phrasing, I guess -- it's not cheating if it fits, even if you have to adjust the rest of your day to accommodate it.

For example, on Thursdays, I usually skimp on calories for breakfast and lunch so I can fit a Jimmy John's #2 and jalapeno chips into my meal plan for the day. I don't consider that cheating unless I go over on something for the day. Fast food doesn't have to be cheating.

Fair point, but there's an extent to it. Obviously we haven't broken down bare bones for mono/poly/trans fats or the importance of fiber, micronutrients, hydration (balancing potassium/sodium) and all that with macros as well. But you can't expect IIFYM to work with a Big Mac or other junk food food every and expect it to help you get healthy just because it fits. Nor hope to lose fat instead of muscle let alone be able to perform in the gym to maximum capacity (the other huge factor in all of this). So I can agree yes if it fits, it fits but at what cost?
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Don't blame IIFYM on stupid people. 34g of fat, 47g of carbs and 24 g or protein doesn't fit nobody's macros haha

I suggest you go ask some of the IIFYM proponents around here who brag about how they always make room for McDonald's, ice cream, cheesecake, and anything else they want.

I will say this, yes you can portion control ice cream and etc to meet your daily requirement and yes it allows you to not completely give up the foods you love but come on! 34 g of fat! Even if you followed 40-40-30 carbs/protein/fat, most have already blown through a third if not half of their daily fat intake on the Big Mac alone while only getting maybe a tenth of protein and maybe, MAYBE a quarter of carbs. You would have to eat nothing but pure rice and the leanest of meat for the rest of the day to meet your macros after a Big Mac.

Don't get me wrong, my weekends are full of cheat meals and I do my best to follow IIFYM, but I also know that if I plan to down a pizza and some wine, I better be only drinking protein shakes, lean beef and spinach or else that's day is a fail for IIFYM. Same goes for this Big Mac and diet cola discussion.

Get butt hurt all you want but Big Macs are typically too big for IIFYM, just call it what it is, a cheat day

Sorry to latch on your response JPW, not directed at you. More so at everyone else who loves disgusting Big Macs. And FYI, I usually eat 20% fat on at 2500 calrorie diet which is 500 calories of fat a day, which equates to 56 g of fat a day. Even if I did the basic 30% for maintenance I would only be allotted 83 g.

Instead of a Big Mac 34 g in one sitting if rather have some 10 oz herbed seasoned chicken, triple the protein and less than half the fat or even better...get off my lazy *kitten* and cook a REAL burger for similar stats of the chicken.

#realiifym

If I wanted to fit a Big Mac into my daily intake -- and I certainly could -- I would be doing it such that it fits my macros, not yours. It would still be "real" IIFYM, whatever that is; it wouldn't be a "cheat meal" or a "cheat day" or whatever you would like to call it.

(And I don't even like Big Macs. I'm a Jalapeno Double kind of guy, on the rare occasion I go to McD's.)

More power to ya, I just provided my stats to prove my point, the math behind and show that it Big Macs don't typically fit (I'm a bigger dude too, 6'2" 232 lbs. Also Jalapeño doubles are awesome and are a better substitute for a Big Mac, similar protein, 11 less g of fat and 12 less g of carbs). My main point is, a Big Mac barely fits or if it does you have more sacrifices for the rest of your meals to make up for it. There are far better cheat options than a Big Mac that give you more bang for macros.

Fair enough. I just object to the phrasing, I guess -- it's not cheating if it fits, even if you have to adjust the rest of your day to accommodate it.

For example, on Thursdays, I usually skimp on calories for breakfast and lunch so I can fit a Jimmy John's #2 and jalapeno chips into my meal plan for the day. I don't consider that cheating unless I go over on something for the day. Fast food doesn't have to be cheating.

Fair point, but there's an extent to it. Obviously we haven't broken down bare bones for mono/poly/trans fats or the importance of fiber, micronutrients, hydration (balancing potassium/sodium) and all that with macros as well. But you can't expect IIFYM to work with a Big Mac or other junk food food every and expect it to help you get healthy just because it fits. Nor hope to lose fat instead of muscle let alone be able to perform in the gym to maximum capacity (the other huge factor in all of this). So I can agree yes if it fits, it fits but at what cost?

Why so much hate for a Big Mac, other than you not liking them? You talk about the fat breakdown, but the 10g of saturated fat and 1g of transfat in a Big Mac really isn't that bad. Even a Jalapeno Double has 9g of saturated fat and 1g of transfat, despite the burger weighing 159g to the 211g of the Big Mac. The JD gets 49% of its calories from fat, while the BM gets 45% from fat.

Where are you getting your values for the Big Mac and Jalapeno Double from, anyway? They conflict with the numbers in the McDonalds nutrition guide.
  • abellone7289
    abellone7289 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Okay. So this did not happen to me but a friend of mine told be that when she was in college her college roommate who was super overweight, decided to make changes to her diet. So the roommate went to the store and bought whole wheat pasta and told my friend she was welcome to have her old regular white pasta, since she was trying to eat healthier. Then the roommate proceeded to eat and ENTIRE box of whole wheat pasta. And said "it's okay that it's more than i used to eat because whole wheat is healthier."
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options

#realiifym

If it fits, then it fits. The Big Mac isn't considered in isolation; it's part of a daily intake that satisfies all micro/macro needs. Isn't that the cornerstone of IIFYM? Or am I missing something? I will admit I'm new to the IIFYM philosophy; I recently switched from weight-loss mode to maintenance/trying to bulk.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Back to the post...

I guess I'm lucky in my co-workers. I only have the normal only eat salad and walk 10 miles a day type dieters.

I thought I was in a similar boat, and then today someone popped out the diet pills. Oh boy.
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options

#realiifym

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf

Big Mac, 27g fat, 47g carbs, 24g protein.

The Big Mac doesn't really have a much different fat/protein mix than most non-fast food burgers.

Even on my 1640 calorie MFP goal I could have a Big Mac for supper and it would hit my fat goal for the day, and I'd be 8g over on protein. Not really a fan of thousand island dressing so I wouldn't, but a Big Mac isn't wildly out of line. It's was less calories than most artisan restaurant burgers.

The fact that you said that a Big Mac is no different than a non fast food burger already makes me sigh BUT you are right. I originally sourced Selfnutrtiondata, which has the stats I have. Most sources have 29 g of fat while only a couple including McDonald's has it at 27 (go figure McDonalds has the lowest posting). Also keep in mind the only reason that a Big Mac is less in calories than restaurant burgers is the amount of beef used. That being said restaurants also use higher quality and better ratio of beef (last article I read McDonald's is less if not finally meeting 80/20 beef while your restaurant typically uses around 85/15-90/10 (if you have a good cook/chef, he can tell you) NEVERTHELESS if you are gonna cheat with a burger, don't do the Golden Arches, make your own.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    A friend at work told me she was eliminating carbs and fat and eating mostly protein, while she munched her way through a large bag of Cheetos. Because, cheese!
  • kampshoff
    Options

Whoa, buddy. Whoa. I said good beer. Molson 67 and Bud Lite barely qualify as beer, let alone good beer. You will never see me skimping on a quality lager. But sometimes sacrifices must be made and, in certain cases (based on beer selection and nacho quality), I would choose food over beer.

Those would have to be some damn good nachos for me to drink a Bud Light.

I just shudder to think that there are poor souls out there drinking lite beers in the name of fewer calories, rather than drinking them because they like them.
  • DaveinSK
    Options

#realiifym

The Big Mac doesn't really have a much different fat/protein mix than most non-fast food burgers.

Even on my 1640 calorie MFP goal I could have a Big Mac for supper and it would hit my fat goal for the day, and I'd be 8g over on protein. Not really a fan of thousand island dressing so I wouldn't, but a Big Mac isn't wildly out of line. It's was less calories than most artisan restaurant burgers.

The fact that you said that a Big Mac is no different than a non fast food burger already makes me sigh BUT you are right. I originally sourced Selfnutrtiondata, which has the stats I have. Most sources have 29 g of fat while only a couple including McDonald's has it at 27 (go figure McDonalds has the lowest posting). Also keep in mind the only reason that a Big Mac is less in calories than restaurant burgers is the amount of beef used. That being said restaurants also use higher quality and better ratio of beef (last article I read McDonald's is less if not finally meeting 80/20 beef while your restaurant typically uses around 85/15-90/10 (if you have a good cook/chef, he can tell you) NEVERTHELESS if you are gonna cheat with a burger, don't do the Golden Arches, make your own.

Having a burger isn't cheating, it's supper. :P To clarify, I didn't say a Big Mac was the same as a non-fast food burger, I said the macro mix isn't wildly different. As an example, the last burger I ate was from this place: the Original. It was delicious.
    It also has 47g fat (12 saturated), 54g carbs and 41g protein, about the same 1:1 ratio as McD's.

It's probably been a couple decades since I'd had a Big Mac so it's tough to compare, but if that flavour is your thing there's nothing inherently much more healthy about the Jalapeno Double than the Big Mac other than a little bit smaller portion. The Big Mac isn't even really that bad for you and fits into many people's macros better than a lot of other burgers. Add on some real cheese and bacon, and the fat:protein ratio of a burger I make at home is probably higher than the McD's burger.
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options

#realiifym

Having a burger isn't cheating, it's supper. :P To clarify, I didn't say a Big Mac was the same as a non-fast food burger, I said the macro mix isn't wildly different. As an example, the last burger I ate was from this place: the Original. It was delicious.
    It also has 47g fat (12 saturated), 54g carbs and 41g protein, about the same 1:1 ratio as McD's.

It's probably been a couple decades since I'd had a Big Mac so it's tough to compare, but if that flavour is your thing there's nothing inherently much more healthy about the Jalapeno Double than the Big Mac other than a little bit smaller portion. The Big Mac isn't even really that bad for you and fits into many people's macros better than a lot of other burgers. Add on some real cheese and bacon, and the fat:protein ratio of a burger I make at home is probably higher than the McD's burger.

I dunno what you use for meat for burgers but I either use 90/10 beef with bacon or (and I just started using this) bison meat. FAR less fat, much more protein and most importantly, meaty goodness. Fat never hits over 19g tops (haven't made any since I started my cut in March and I miss it...
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

I just shudder to think that there are poor souls out there drinking lite beers in the name of fewer calories, rather than drinking them because they like them.

I've done it. For duck confit nachos. I regret nothing.
  • DaveinSK
    Options

#realiifym

I dunno what you use for meat for burgers but I either use 90/10 beef with bacon or (and I just started using this) bison meat. FAR less fat, much more protein and most importantly, meaty goodness. Fat never hits over 19g tops (haven't made any since I started my cut in March and I miss it...

When I make burgers at home, it's the same 90/10 lean beef we use for anything. I generally try to avoid fattier beef or bacon in the burgers themselves to prevent flareups. The beef itself is about 2:1 protein to fat, but that's before bacon (if used), cheese, and sauces.

That's beside the original point though, which is your assertion that a Big Mac doesn't fit into anyone's macros. That's silly, as it fits without issue into many people's diets even if low calorie, let alone someone on a maintenance or surplus plan.
  • kampshoff
    Options

I've done it. For duck confit nachos. I regret nothing.

Those sound amazing. I probably would have caved and had the good beer as well, though.
  • dbienz
    dbienz Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of this before? Nightshade vegetables worsening ailments and pain?! A friend sent me this today...

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/nightshade-vegetables-can-worsen-pain/
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I've heard it before. I think it's bunkum.

• giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    A few friends of my parents are really, really large people. And the wife is a "nutritionist" and is always trying to give me advice as to how I should eat and so on.

So one day they were visiting my parents and she was talking about these great big navel oranges being in season (I love oranges!!) and how her and her husband went through a box of them in a couple days . . . but then she started talking about how she doesn't understand why they aren't losing weight when all they're eating is fruits and vegetables. I said to her well if you eat too much of anything it's not good for you. She seriously looked at me and said "Oh no - that's only for the bad stuff, you can't eat too many oranges"

I tried to tell her oranges are really high in carbs and sugars and she said back to me "No - fruits don't have carbs in them."

I just said oh ok, and ended it there.

Oh....my....God.......

+2