The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    While we were getting our morning coffee my boss whips out a baggie, she says she is using only brown sugar in her coffee because its healthier for her and doesnt contain all that bad white sugar. She also says she's on a no carb diet and thats why she only eats crackers, cuz they dont have any carbs.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    belgerian wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    CandiceMcD wrote: »
    cnadiger wrote: »
    HA, I just looked up the military diet & I am confused as to how hot dogs and saltines are supposed to help you get healthier. I mean, I have had MREs that have been more nutritionally balanced. Not to mention, I gained like 20 lbs the first year I was in the military because of my love for the chow hall and daily grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.

Same here, I don't know anyone who lost weight the first couple of years in the military - unless they were already overweight and put on restrictions. :D

I was overweight and not put on any restrictions (dunno what you mean by restrictions anyways) we all ate at the same time at the same chow hall and the same food at the same time (in basic anyways). I knew plenty of ppl who lost weight in basic. I would say the majority lost some.

I was a peanut when I joined, so I didn't lose anything in basic - I gained muscle. The gaining came when marching to school & running after did nothing to curb the grilled ham & cheeses & little Debbie overload.

For me some of the gaining back came due to too much German Beer and Brats Yes there is a thing as too much beer. Gosh I loved Germany.

Man now I want beer.
    and Big Macs, what the heck.
    But I also don't want to feel gross, so I am chomping on my tuna & celery and I shall count it as a win.

If I could get brats like the ones in Germany I would. But all the brats ive had in the US are nasty compared to those, as for the beer I no longer drink but If i was in Germany well its a good thing im not I guess.

Even in Wisconsin????

I should say in michigan I have not come across any even had a local German restaruant who made there own brats (Bratwrust yes) and did not come close.

You're close enough to WI (loads of Germans there) - try a butcher maybe? I hate to think of anyone living without good brats in their life :(
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    While we were getting our morning coffee my boss whips out a baggie, she says she is using only brown sugar in her coffee because its healthier for her and doesnt contain all that bad white sugar. She also says she's on a no carb diet and thats why she only eats crackers, cuz they dont have any carbs.

Lol maybe brown sugar turns into that healthy brown fat I've been hearing about.

Cannot.even.comment on the crackers thing...so insane!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options

Does she not read the labels??? Oh the things people believe sometimes.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    giusa wrote: »
    Something that has always boggled my mind, can someone explain the concept behind ordering a large Big Mac value meal and a diet coke?

She told me it was to save on cals :s

140 calories. Sounds like the cornerstone of IIFYM.

Don't blame IIFYM on stupid people. 34g of fat, 47g of carbs and 24 g or protein doesn't fit nobody's macros haha

I suggest you go ask some of the IIFYM proponents around here who brag about how they always make room for McDonald's, ice cream, cheesecake, and anything else they want.

I will say this, yes you can portion control ice cream and etc to meet your daily requirement and yes it allows you to not completely give up the foods you love but come on! 34 g of fat! Even if you followed 40-40-30 carbs/protein/fat, most have already blown through a third if not half of their daily fat intake on the Big Mac alone while only getting maybe a tenth of protein and maybe, MAYBE a quarter of carbs. You would have to eat nothing but pure rice and the leanest of meat for the rest of the day to meet your macros after a Big Mac.

Don't get me wrong, my weekends are full of cheat meals and I do my best to follow IIFYM, but I also know that if I plan to down a pizza and some wine, I better be only drinking protein shakes, lean beef and spinach or else that's day is a fail for IIFYM. Same goes for this Big Mac and diet cola discussion.

Get butt hurt all you want but Big Macs are typically too big for IIFYM, just call it what it is, a cheat day

Sorry to latch on your response JPW, not directed at you. More so at everyone else who loves disgusting Big Macs. And FYI, I usually eat 20% fat on at 2500 calrorie diet which is 500 calories of fat a day, which equates to 56 g of fat a day. Even if I did the basic 30% for maintenance I would only be allotted 83 g.

Instead of a Big Mac 34 g in one sitting if rather have some 10 oz herbed seasoned chicken, triple the protein and less than half the fat or even better...get off my lazy *kitten* and cook a REAL burger for similar stats of the chicken.

#realiifym
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    These are the two closest that I've been able to find after coming home from Germany. You can have better luck looking for German style brats in the fresh sausage case than froze "brats".

http://www.gasthofzg.com/events.html

http://www.kaiserhoff.org//menus/menu.html

http://garmischresort.com/
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    smelius22 wrote: »
    I just always get annoyed when I tell people I'm just eating a deficit and try to introduce them to MFP, and they say "yeah you're on a diet". NO I'M NOT its not a diet, it's just eating less! I don't see what's confusing about it lol. why does everything health-related have to be called a "diet".

Well to be completely technical - the food you eat on a regular basis is your diet.

Rabbits eat a diet of clover and grass. Foxes eat a diet of rabbits, mice, fish, and squirrels. Etc.

I am not on a diet but I have a healthy diet. :wink:

That's what I always say! "diet" is what you eat. it just goes over people's heads and they go on to talk about whatever juice or shake diet they're on.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Capricorn: Can only eat foods that their employer agrees to write off as a tax deduction

I work for a religious institution, so we're tax exempt. Does that count? If so, I get to eat ALL THE THINGS!
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Something that has always boggled my mind, can someone explain the concept behind ordering a large Big Mac value meal and a diet coke?

Don't blame IIFYM on stupid people. 34g of fat, 47g of carbs and 24 g or protein doesn't fit nobody's macros haha

I suggest you go ask some of the IIFYM proponents around here who brag about how they always make room for McDonald's, ice cream, cheesecake, and anything else they want.

I will say this, yes you can portion control ice cream and etc to meet your daily requirement and yes it allows you to not completely give up the foods you love but come on! 34 g of fat! Even if you followed 40-40-30 carbs/protein/fat, most have already blown through a third if not half of their daily fat intake on the Big Mac alone while only getting maybe a tenth of protein and maybe, MAYBE a quarter of carbs. You would have to eat nothing but pure rice and the leanest of meat for the rest of the day to meet your macros after a Big Mac.

Don't get me wrong, my weekends are full of cheat meals and I do my best to follow IIFYM, but I also know that if I plan to down a pizza and some wine, I better be only drinking protein shakes, lean beef and spinach or else that's day is a fail for IIFYM. Same goes for this Big Mac and diet cola discussion.

Get butt hurt all you want but Big Macs are typically too big for IIFYM, just call it what it is, a cheat day

Sorry to latch on your response JPW, not directed at you. More so at everyone else who loves disgusting Big Macs. And FYI, I usually eat 20% fat on at 2500 calrorie diet which is 500 calories of fat a day, which equates to 56 g of fat a day. Even if I did the basic 30% for maintenance I would only be allotted 83 g.

Instead of a Big Mac 34 g in one sitting if rather have some 10 oz herbed seasoned chicken, triple the protein and less than half the fat or even better...get off my lazy *kitten* and cook a REAL burger for similar stats of the chicken.

#realiifym

I think you may have misinterpreted the Y in IIFYM.

If I wanted to fit a Big Mac into my daily intake -- and I certainly could -- I would be doing it such that it fits my macros, not yours. It would still be "real" IIFYM, whatever that is; it wouldn't be a "cheat meal" or a "cheat day" or whatever you would like to call it.

(And I don't even like Big Macs. I'm a Jalapeno Double kind of guy, on the rare occasion I go to McD's.)
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options

#realiifym

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf

Big Mac, 27g fat, 47g carbs, 24g protein.

The Big Mac doesn't really have a much different fat/protein mix than most non-fast food burgers.

Even on my 1640 calorie MFP goal I could have a Big Mac for supper and it would hit my fat goal for the day, and I'd be 8g over on protein. Not really a fan of thousand island dressing so I wouldn't, but a Big Mac isn't wildly out of line. It's was less calories than most artisan restaurant burgers.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

She told me it was to save on cals...

I did the equivalent to that (pizza and diet coke, say--never liked Big Macs), because I like diet coke more than coke and can't see wasting calories on a soda. Spending calories on a pizza, that I can see.
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I did the equivalent to that (pizza and diet coke, say--never liked Big Macs), because I like diet coke more than coke and can't see wasting calories on a soda. Spending calories on a pizza, that I can see.

Fair enough. I have a buddy who will order Molson 67 to save the 60 calories per beer (because he's watching his weight, you know) even though he doesn't really like it, but has no problem shoveling through a platter-sized plate of nachos with lord knows how many calories in it. That, I can't understand.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »

Fair enough. I have a buddy who will order Molson 67 to save the 60 calories per beer (because he's watching his weight, you know) even though he doesn't really like it, but has no problem shoveling through a platter-sized plate of nachos with lord knows how many calories in it. That, I can't understand.

Perhaps skimping on good beer allowed him to fit the nachos into his daily calorie goal. Why is that hard to understand? If I bite the bullet and drink a Bud Lite, you better believe it's because I'm using those calories for A) more crap beer, or B) delicious fried food at the bar.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »

#realiifym

If I wanted to fit a Big Mac into my daily intake -- and I certainly could -- I would be doing it such that it fits my macros, not yours. It would still be "real" IIFYM, whatever that is; it wouldn't be a "cheat meal" or a "cheat day" or whatever you would like to call it.

(And I don't even like Big Macs. I'm a Jalapeno Double kind of guy, on the rare occasion I go to McD's.)

More power to ya, I just provided my stats to prove my point, the math behind and show that it Big Macs don't typically fit (I'm a bigger dude too, 6'2" 232 lbs. Also Jalapeño doubles are awesome and are a better substitute for a Big Mac, similar protein, 11 less g of fat and 12 less g of carbs). My main point is, a Big Mac barely fits or if it does you have more sacrifices for the rest of your meals to make up for it. There are far better cheat options than a Big Mac that give you more bang for macros.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I guy i see at the gym does "cupping"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupping_therapy
    Been around for 3000 years but sounds like bro science. or B.S. to me
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    DaveinSK wrote: »

Perhaps skimping on good beer allowed him to fit the nachos into his daily calorie goal. Why is that hard to understand? If I bite the bullet and drink a Bud Lite, you better believe it's because I'm using those calories for A) more crap beer, or B) delicious fried food at the bar.

Does not compute. One does not skimp on beer. :smiley:
    kampshoff wrote: »

#realiifym

More power to ya, I just provided my stats to prove my point, the math behind and show that it Big Macs don't typically fit (I'm a bigger dude too, 6'2" 232 lbs. Also Jalapeño doubles are awesome and are a better substitute for a Big Mac, similar protein, 11 less g of fat and 12 less g of carbs). My main point is, a Big Mac barely fits or if it does you have more sacrifices for the rest of your meals to make up for it. There are far better cheat options than a Big Mac that give you more bang for macros.

Fair enough. I just object to the phrasing, I guess -- it's not cheating if it fits, even if you have to adjust the rest of your day to accommodate it.

For example, on Thursdays, I usually skimp on calories for breakfast and lunch so I can fit a Jimmy John's #2 and jalapeno chips into my meal plan for the day. I don't consider that cheating unless I go over on something for the day. Fast food doesn't have to be cheating.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    A few friends of my parents are really, really large people. And the wife is a "nutritionist" and is always trying to give me advice as to how I should eat and so on.

So one day they were visiting my parents and she was talking about these great big navel oranges being in season (I love oranges!!) and how her and her husband went through a box of them in a couple days . . . but then she started talking about how she doesn't understand why they aren't losing weight when all they're eating is fruits and vegetables. I said to her well if you eat too much of anything it's not good for you. She seriously looked at me and said "Oh no - that's only for the bad stuff, you can't eat too many oranges"

I tried to tell her oranges are really high in carbs and sugars and she said back to me "No - fruits don't have carbs in them."

I just said oh ok, and ended it there.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My favorite was the sales job I was at where we sold field test kits to assay soil. My coworkers were really all scientists...but I caught 2 of them on some liquid diet thing that had them peeing on sticks to see if they were in ketosis. lol. It was like the alkaline strips and it turned pink if you were in ketosis or something. They stopped though when one passed out at a customers since she had only eaten 700 calories a day for like a month.