Options

Replies

• upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    giusa wrote: »
    Something that has always boggled my mind, can someone explain the concept behind ordering a large Big Mac value meal and a diet coke?

She told me it was to save on cals :s

140 calories. Sounds like the cornerstone of IIFYM.

Don't blame IIFYM on stupid people. 34g of fat, 47g of carbs and 24 g or protein doesn't fit nobody's macros haha...unless you include the maggots you find in em sometimes. The the protein shoots up but even then....
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Something that has always boggled my mind, can someone explain the concept behind ordering a large Big Mac value meal and a diet coke?

Don't blame IIFYM on stupid people. 34g of fat, 47g of carbs and 24 g or protein doesn't fit nobody's macros haha

I suggest you go ask some of the IIFYM proponents around here who brag about how they always make room for McDonald's, ice cream, cheesecake, and anything else they want.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    And a close second - the ever-popular "Starvation mode". :)

Yes, there is the metabolic slowdown which comes as a result of it requiring less energy (fewer calories) to fuel less mass (150 pounds vs. 200 pounds).

But absent an extended period (six months, as best as I can gauge with my quick skim of the research) of extreme calorie deficit (half of one's bmr, again from my quick skim of the research), "starvation mode" is likely not an issue.
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Also, the time I checked vegetarian options for a sandwich, and was handed a turkey sandwich.

I said, this is meat... and was told, "It isn't meat. It's turkey!"

Yeah, when did people start claiming that poultry or "white meat" isn't meat? Having to explain that fish is meat (yes, I know it doesn't count as meat during Lent), was bad enough, but I've only recently run into this weirdness and it makes me crazy.

(I'm not even a vegetarian, but just be sensible!)

I still don't know why fish is okay to eat during Lent, but not other meats. Is it because of the fishes and loaves miracle?

Because the Catholic church owned like all the fisheries and so "fasting proves you love God and that's the best, but you know, buy our stuff 'kay?"
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Shikonneko wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Also, the time I checked vegetarian options for a sandwich, and was handed a turkey sandwich.

I said, this is meat... and was told, "It isn't meat. It's turkey!"

Yeah, when did people start claiming that poultry or "white meat" isn't meat? Having to explain that fish is meat (yes, I know it doesn't count as meat during Lent), was bad enough, but I've only recently run into this weirdness and it makes me crazy.

(I'm not even a vegetarian, but just be sensible!)

I still don't know why fish is okay to eat during Lent, but not other meats. Is it because of the fishes and loaves miracle?

Because the Catholic church owned like all the fisheries and so "fasting proves you love God and that's the best, but you know, buy our stuff 'kay?"

I recall a story of some monk or priest in the Middle Ages declaring rabbits to be fish so they could be eaten during Lent. Can't find a source on that one, though.

I do know that French Canadian Catholics had beaver classified as a fish for a time, however. They swim so well, they must be part fish!
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Don't blame IIFYM on stupid people. 34g of fat, 47g of carbs and 24 g or protein doesn't fit nobody's macros haha...unless you include the maggots you find in em sometimes. The the protein shoots up but even then....

Fits mine just fine, thank you very much. Never found any maggots in my fast food, either.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

OK. We won't blame IIFYM on you.

Those macros for one meal are fine, in context of an entire day. Just because you don't know how to make it work doesn't mean anything.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Huh what? I mean, assuming you eat nothing but a Big Mac meal all day, sure, it's not going to fit your macros so well, but if you eat other foods, well, you can have something with less carbs and fat and more protein for dinner (like, you know, chicken breast or something).

About the diet coke, it's all about what's worth the calories and what isn't. It didn't use to make sense to me either, or why my diabetic mother complained about having to eat pasta but always had toast for breakfast, and a piece of cheesecake when she came over, but now I totally get it... it's about what people think is worth the calories (or carbs, in my mom's case) and what isn't. Like, I could have a massive cheat day with 4000 calories of food but still not touch alcohol because it's just not worth the calories to me.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »

Fits mine just fine, thank you very much. Never found any maggots in my fast food, either.

It's a mind trick. Some people need to make things seem ugly so they don't want them any longer. :)

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    CandiceMcD wrote: »
    belgerian wrote: »
    cnadiger wrote: »
    HA, I just looked up the military diet & I am confused as to how hot dogs and saltines are supposed to help you get healthier. I mean, I have had MREs that have been more nutritionally balanced. Not to mention, I gained like 20 lbs the first year I was in the military because of my love for the chow hall and daily grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.

Same here, I don't know anyone who lost weight the first couple of years in the military - unless they were already overweight and put on restrictions. :D

I was overweight and not put on any restrictions (dunno what you mean by restrictions anyways) we all ate at the same time at the same chow hall and the same food at the same time (in basic anyways). I knew plenty of ppl who lost weight in basic. I would say the majority lost some.

I was a peanut when I joined, so I didn't lose anything in basic - I gained muscle. The gaining came when marching to school & running after did nothing to curb the grilled ham & cheeses & little Debbie overload.

For me some of the gaining back came due to too much German Beer and Brats Yes there is a thing as too much beer. Gosh I loved Germany.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    HA, I just looked up the military diet & I am confused as to how hot dogs and saltines are supposed to help you get healthier. I mean, I have had MREs that have been more nutritionally balanced. Not to mention, I gained like 20 lbs the first year I was in the military because of my love for the chow hall and daily grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.

Same here, I don't know anyone who lost weight the first couple of years in the military - unless they were already overweight and put on restrictions. :D

I was overweight and not put on any restrictions (dunno what you mean by restrictions anyways) we all ate at the same time at the same chow hall and the same food at the same time (in basic anyways). I knew plenty of ppl who lost weight in basic. I would say the majority lost some.

I was a peanut when I joined, so I didn't lose anything in basic - I gained muscle. The gaining came when marching to school & running after did nothing to curb the grilled ham & cheeses & little Debbie overload.

For me some of the gaining back came due to too much German Beer and Brats Yes there is a thing as too much beer. Gosh I loved Germany.

Man now I want beer.
    and Big Macs, what the heck.
    But I also don't want to feel gross, so I am chomping on my tuna & celery and I shall count it as a win.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    There was this guy the other day at work who told me eating is "all about calories in calories out. It doesn't matter about what kind of food it is". You can feed your body anything and your body "is smart enough to sort all these things out".

I took everything within me not to let my jaw drop on the floor. Esp when he subsequently complained about not being able to ever get rid of his pot belly and complaining about taking all his medications for his chronic illnesses.

Office broscience. Sometimes scary.

Was that before or after you threw out the office candy?

You must be a blast at the company Holiday Party.

Oh, wait, you just make crap up and post it on the internet. So this story never happened anyway.

Moving along....

Troll-GIF.gif

That was before. I don't get to have that kind of fun at the holiday party b/c it's mostly healthy food. There is sometimes the occasional cake made from garbage, and there's occasionally someone who will take a slice. The rest of us are usually having too much fun to notice who took it.... but it's not very hard to guess most of the time.

The rest of the cake gets tossed, but I don't get to do the tossing unfortunately (pout) b/c I'm not the catering company.

Actually, I've seen a lot of crap posted on the internet today: Let's see, there was caramel, donuts, cake....

Of course if you make cake from garbage people will be less likely to take any.

Why are donuts and cake always equated with crap too.....?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    There was this guy the other day at work who told me eating is "all about calories in calories out. It doesn't matter about what kind of food it is". You can feed your body anything and your body "is smart enough to sort all these things out".

I took everything within me not to let my jaw drop on the floor. Esp when he subsequently complained about not being able to ever get rid of his pot belly and complaining about taking all his medications for his chronic illnesses.

Office broscience. Sometimes scary.

Was that before or after you threw out the office candy?

You must be a blast at the company Holiday Party.

Oh, wait, you just make crap up and post it on the internet. So this story never happened anyway.

Moving along....

Troll-GIF.gif

That was before. I don't get to have that kind of fun at the holiday party b/c it's mostly healthy food. There is sometimes the occasional cake made from garbage, and there's occasionally someone who will take a slice. The rest of us are usually having too much fun to notice who took it.... but it's not very hard to guess most of the time.

The rest of the cake gets tossed, but I don't get to do the tossing unfortunately (pout) b/c I'm not the catering company.

Actually, I've seen a lot of crap posted on the internet today: Let's see, there was caramel, donuts, cake....

Of course if you make cake from garbage people will be less likely to take any.

Why are donuts and cake always equated with crap too.....?
    GarbageCan.jpg

It really isn't fair.

• belgerian
    Options

Man now I want beer.
    But I also don't want to feel gross, so I am chomping on my tuna & celery and I shall count it as a win.

If I could get brats like the ones in Germany I would. But all the brats ive had in the US are nasty compared to those, as for the beer I no longer drink but If i was in Germany well its a good thing im not I guess.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Man now I want beer.

If I could get brats like the ones in Germany I would. But all the brats ive had in the US are nasty compared to those, as for the beer I no longer drink but If i was in Germany well its a good thing im not I guess.

Even in Wisconsin????
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

She told me it was to save on cals...

It does save calories though. Maybe she wanted to treat herself but doesn't like to drink her calories?
    I prefer diet coke to regular so I would do the same. I rarely eat fast food, but sometimes I fit it into my day if I'm craving it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Man now I want beer.

You mean Bratwurst?
  • belgerian
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Man now I want beer.

Even in Wisconsin????

I should say in michigan I have not come across any even had a local German restaruant who made there own brats (Bratwrust yes) and did not come close.