The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    smelius22 wrote: »
    I just always get annoyed when I tell people I'm just eating a deficit and try to introduce them to MFP, and they say "yeah you're on a diet". NO I'M NOT its not a diet, it's just eating less! I don't see what's confusing about it lol. why does everything health-related have to be called a "diet".

Well to be completely technical - the food you eat on a regular basis is your diet.

Rabbits eat a diet of clover and grass. Foxes eat a diet of rabbits, mice, fish, and squirrels. Etc.

I am not on a diet but I have a healthy diet. :wink:

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    smelius22 wrote: »
    I just always get annoyed when I tell people I'm just eating a deficit and try to introduce them to MFP, and they say "yeah you're on a diet". NO I'M NOT its not a diet, it's just eating less! I don't see what's confusing about it lol. why does everything health-related have to be called a "diet".

Maybe if you're getting the question a lot, rather than say you're eating less you could say that you've quit overeating.

Or he could say he's on the ELF Diet. I saw that here on MFP a while back and love it. ELF. (Eat Less Food, not Eat Will Ferrell)
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me the weird "don't eat past 9pm" thing? I've heard that a few times and I'm feeling search engine lazy right now.

I couldn't eat past 9pm when I was younger because I'd throw up if the wind hit me wrong. My digestive system was a mess until I got my gallbladder removed. Now I regularly eat around 9 because of my schedule. :smile:
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few women at my work on the Military diet. I looked it up and that *kitten* looks miserable. I'd rather eat what I like in reasonable or small portions than cans of tuna. :grimace:
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me the weird "don't eat past 9pm" thing? I've heard that a few times and I'm feeling search engine lazy right now.

For me the timing has to due with sleep. I'm an awful sleeper, so I regulate my food intake to help me keep normal sleep habits. Sounds odd, but it helps. And when I don't sleep normal, I end up being more hungry and eating more. So I subscribe to the 'don't eat past x pm', because eating past x pm makes me fat feel hungrier and I succumb to eating more calories than I should.

Not sure where it all started, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of it.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    And yea....I had a friend who was eating picky stuff for "blood type" and the diet failed her. She was a little more than shocked to see I weighed less than her eating... well...just eating!

I am so IN for astrology dieting why hasn't Dr. Oz come up with this yet?

I think I would love the astrology diet. Sounds fun. At least it would get my birthday right.

I actually had a dietitian suggest the blood type diet. She didn't stay my dietitian for very long. My favorite part was when I looked it up- according to my blood type I'm English & therefore can tolerate stuff that makes me sick, like dairy, but should avoid things like venison & similar game. My great grandfather was Nez Perce; my family has been hunting & eating deer for hundreds of years. I just laughed, it was so ridiculous. Thankfully my new dietitian understands Science a bit more.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    duckykissy wrote: »

For me the timing has to due with sleep. I'm an awful sleeper, so I regulate my food intake to help me keep normal sleep habits. Sounds odd, but it helps. And when I don't sleep normal, I end up being more hungry and eating more. So I subscribe to the 'don't eat past x pm', because eating past x pm makes me fat feel hungrier and I succumb to eating more calories than I should.

Not sure where it all started, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of it.

It started because of a nugget of truth. When you sleep, your metabolism slows down (all of your body's systems do). People took that and decided that a slower metabolism means that you will put all of those calories on as fat. They kind of forgot the part where your digestion slows down too, and that your metabolism usually speeds up long before you wake up. Not to mention that your entire day is a series of storing energy, then using that stored energy. Only if you store more than you use over a period of time will you add fat (and that period of time is much longer than overnight).

I don't sleep well on an empty stomach so I eat. I also get acid reflux sometimes at night so I don't eat a huge meal before going to bed. That's me. YMMV

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Apart form lost for words, from what I have seen it is an actual method that is being trialled. As I recall I saw it in a documentary as being developed in Sweden.
    I had to switch away as my husband became physically sick watching it :-)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Apart form lost for words, from what I have seen it is an actual method that is being trialled. As I recall I saw it in a documentary as being developed in Sweden.
    I had to switch away as my husband became physically sick watching it :-)

So it is bulimia without the tooth erosion?

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Oh jeeze, what's plexus? Another shady-azz ripoff MLM? IDK, we have people here at this place who always claim to be on some diet or other but weigh at least twice what would be healthy, and I mean literally. There's always someone really large debating the fine points of a celebrity diet with another really large person in the break room... I don't say anything. ever. I just drink my coffee and keep my snark inside my head.

Yep that about covers it. It's super spammy.

I have a Facebook friend who sells it and when she first started posting about it I messaged her to let her know that her account had been hacked. Whoops.

Ok this made me laugh. Good on you!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    seric2000 wrote: »
    KnM0107 wrote: »
    I am so hoping this is not real. I just, I can't even...

She's is real...real insane. We work in a hospital, by the way.

Geez...it keeps getting better.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Bashing bro science should be a sin- Its Magic you have to believe!.
    This video is hilarious!!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/BroScienceLife
  • castufari
    castufari Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Manager " no meat- doctors orders"

He could have something going on with his kidneys. My wife can't do too much poultry due to kidney issues.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    castufari wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Manager " no meat- doctors orders"

He could have something going on with his kidneys. My wife can't do too much poultry due to kidney issues.

On Scrubs there was a guy with a condition that made it so he wasn't allowed to eat meat because of something to do with his digestive tract. "It's going to eat through your colon." Was said I think.
    Scrubs was a good show.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    This thread is gold.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    smelius wrote:
    I just always get annoyed when I tell people I'm just eating a deficit and try to introduce them to MFP, and they say "yeah you're on a diet". NO I'M NOT its not a diet, it's just eating less!
    WakkoW wrote:
    rather than say you're eating less you could say that you've quit overeating.
    wizzybeth wrote:
    Or he could say he's on the ELF Diet. (Eat Less Food)
    When pressed, I tell people I'm on the E.L.M.M. diet: Eat Less, Move More.
    They usually don't like that answer, but it's completely accurate.
    In fact, it's the only thing which works.

51637601.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few women at my work on the Military diet. I looked it up and that *kitten* looks miserable. I'd rather eat what I like in reasonable or small portions than cans of tuna. :grimace:

Yeah, that diet amuses me, since the food isn't even that nutritious and--most significant to me--most of it is stuff I find actively revolting. I'd lose a lot, for sure, but also be super depressed.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Just this morning on a fluff piece of news filler they were talking with someone about essential oils and how they're
    so good for the body in all sorts of ways... including "removing toxins". :confused:
    Nothing specified, of course.
    I'm tempted to go to the event (free, but on the other side of town) in order to ask the gal exactly what she means,
    which toxins these oils remove (by putting a couple drops in a glass of water & drinking it).
    Pretty sure I know what her (non-)answer would be if I did.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    So far at work I haven't run into any broscience, but there are several fairly overweight people.
    I've had a conversation with one of them about how I've changed my life, feel _so_ much better, how much I've
    lost, etc. and I tried to point him to MFP, but he isn't ready to change.
    Says he prefers to sit on his couch after work ("that fits my butt") and play video games.
    Hmmm... how about you & your wife go for a 15-minute walk while dinner is cooking? Talk, interact, etc.
    Disappointing that he's a fairly young guy (early 20's) and could have so much more out of life.
    :sigh: Not my monkey, not my circus.

monkeys-3.jpg
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Man, some people have some really......... fun...... coworkers.

Mine aren't that bad, apart from asking me how I've lost the weight, then totally ignore what I say and insist on being miserable while continuing to gain weight. ("Oh man! Why are you eating Doritos? Aren't you on a diet? I wish I could eat Doritos!' *takes a bite out of giant cucumber they've been working on all day along with nothing other than carrot sticks and some kind of nasty-looking shake thing*)

Though I have an ex-coworker who once said 'It's really annoying being a vegetarian, because the only thing I can eat when we go out is chicken and meatballs'. No, she wasn't being ironic.