The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options
KatieJane83
KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I just had to sit and suffer through overhearing a coworker go on, ad nauseam through my cubicle wall, how eating carbs after dinner will mean they don't get digested but get immediately turned into evil evil adipose! Apparently everything else if fine, just not doze evil carbz.

doctorwho_s04_e01_14.jpg

The evens that I can't = all of them

Sorry, just had to spread my misery. Anyone have any other overheard gems to share?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like spreading stupid today, but I feel your pain.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    A couple of my friends are currently eating per their blood type. I suppose it's better than eating per their astrology sign, but I'm guessing that's next.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A friend told me last weekend about a friend of hers who "got to train with body builders but had to stop because she was bulking up like a dude!" I tried to say that you have to EAT to put on muscle and that I doubted her friend seriously looked like a guy, but she said no to the eating part and that she'd seen a video of her training and "from the back she did!" I let it go, but sigh...
    I know some women (and people in general) put on muscle easier than others, and that, depending on your preferences, you can get bulkier than you might like, but I have my doubts about the finer points of this anecdote.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I walked into my bosses office- and the division manager was in there- and he said "Oh my lunch looked a lot like yours (to my boss{) and she said- really?

and he goes- yeah.....

and rattles off like 5 pieces of fruit.
    Boss "no meat"
    Manager " no meat- doctors orders"
    <useless jokes>

I can't even- apparently now eating pure sugar is the answer to your weight problems. Okay.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I object to the character assassination of Adipose.

I have one on fb who sells one of those herbalife type things. She's courteous enough that she keeps 99% of her sales pitches to a business page, but once a month she'll post before and after pics of her clients to her personal page. I can never tell which is the before and which is the after.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I just had to sit and suffer through overhearing a coworker go on, ad nauseam through my cubicle wall, how eating carbs after dinner will mean they don't get digested but get immediately turned into evil evil adipose! Apparently everything else if fine, just not doze evil carbz.

doctorwho_s04_e01_14.jpg

Sorry, just had to spread my misery. Anyone have any other overheard gems to share?

Oh I had one today while talking to a lady at work about how I ate too many carbs, if I eat carbs like I do I'll get fat apparently because carbohydrates are stored purely as fat whereas it was a myth that high fat made you fat.

Srsly she went on for about ten mins laughing nastily at people who believed eating fat made you fat whereas carbs were the devil and purely stored as fat in the body..I was eating a corn tortilla at the time too! I didn't have the heart to tell her on low carb she probably shouldn't be guzzling from a 2ltr bottle full sugar tango, I probably should have but she cheesed me off by talking about my lunch. Every time I work with her this happens or similar rubbish relating to some new fad.

Seriously what is that adorable little guy in the gif?

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

doctorwho_s04_e01_14.jpg

Oh I had one today while talking to a lady at work about how I ate too many carbs, if I eat carbs like I do I'll get fat apparently because carbohydrates are stored purely as fat whereas it was a myth that high fat made you fat.

Srsly she went on for about ten mins laughing nastily at people who believed eating fat made you fat whereas carbs were the devil and purely stored as fat in the body..I was eating a corn tortilla at the time too! I didn't have the heart to tell her on low carb she probably shouldn't be guzzling from a 2ltr bottle full sugar tango, I probably should have but she cheesed me off by talking about my lunch. Every time I work with her this happens or similar rubbish relating to some new fad.

It's adipose- it's from Doctor Who. it's awesome and weird all at the same time.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I actually just want to know if your co-worker actually used the word 'adipose'. If so...they can't be all that bad because Doctor Who is awesome and at least they have good taste in television entertainment. If YOU are, in fact, the one that used the word then....extra shame on your co-worker and points to you!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    A couple of my friends are currently eating per their blood type.

My blood seems to be red today?! I think I should lay off the veggie juice and red-flavored Kool Aid. I'm currently doing a Primary Colors diet, so I need to up my consumption of blue and yellow foods to balance it all out.

It's important to have a balanced diet.
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I object to the character assassination of Adipose.

I have one on fb who sells one of those herbalife type things. She's courteous enough that she keeps 99% of her sales pitches to a business page, but once a month she'll post before and after pics of her clients to her personal page. I can never tell which is the before and which is the after.

I have a fb 'friend' who does that with the It Works! nonsense. I also have a hard time telling the difference between the 'before' and 'after' pics, lol. But u guize, it workz!!
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    RosieWest8 wrote: »
    I actually just want to know if your co-worker actually used the word 'adipose'. If so...they can't be all that bad because Doctor Who is awesome and at least they have good taste in television entertainment. If YOU are, in fact, the one that used the word then....extra shame on your co-worker and points to you!

He did use the word adipose but I'm pretty certain he was only using it by it's actual meaning. I just couldn't help thinking of them eating a bunch of carbs after dinner and having a bunch of the little Dr. Who guys running around.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

doctorwho_s04_e01_14.jpg

It's adipose- it's from Doctor Who. it's awesome and weird all at the same time.

And it needs a nanny!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, how had I never looked into the blood type diet. It's like the next best thing to a zodiac diet (up for this, btw).
    As a Type B, you carry the genetic potential for great malleability and the ability to thrive in changeable conditions.... At the same time, it can be extremely challenging to balance two poles and Type B's tend to be highly sensitive to the effects of slipping out of balance.

For Type Bs the biggest factors in weight gain are corn, wheat, buckwheat, lentils, tomatoes, peanuts and sesame seeds.... Another very common food that Type Bs should avoid is chicken. Chicken contains a Blood Type B agglutinating lectin in its muscle tissue.... Dr. D'Adamo suggests that you wean yourself away from chicken and replace them with highly beneficial foods such as goat, lamb, mutton, rabbit and venison. Other foods that encourage weight loss are green vegetables, eggs, beneficial meats, and low fat dairy. When the toxic foods are avoided and replaced with beneficial foods, Blood Type Bs are very successful in controlling their weight.

most Blood Type B's often described themselves in ways related to the following characteristics: subjective, easygoing, creative, original and flexible. In another study, Type B's scored significantly higher on "intuiting," indicating a preference or sixth sense information; and they scored high on the "intuiting/feeling" combination, indicating that they tend to be insightful, mystical, idealistic, creative, globally-oriented, people-oriented and good at imagining.... Perhaps the nomadic life of the steppes contributed to long hours given over to talk as well as ample time for meditation and reflection.

So hilarious.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm self-employed, so the nutrition stupidity I find is on MFP.
  • seric2000
    seric2000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who refuses to eat meat. I told her it was nice that she was a vegetarian.
    She said "no, I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't eat anything with muscles because I read that muscle weighs so much more than fat and I don't want to ingest all that heavy meat muscle". (shovels in the macaroni and cheese)
    Go ahead...be flabbergasted.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have 5 or 6 people on fb who sell It Works. The before and after pictures are ridiculous. They all periodically post selfies with their index finger up (#1) and the caption "it starts with 1! Join my team!" And they do not have business pages, it's always on their personal pages. I've had to hide the. From my newsfeed.
    I also went to an Arbonne party where I was told by the rep that I needed to get my body into an alkaline state (by eliminating a huge lost of foods) so I wouldn't grow anymore fat cells.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    seric2000 wrote: »
    I have a coworker who refuses to eat meat. I told her it was nice that she was a vegetarian.
    She said "no, I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't eat anything with muscles because I read that muscle weighs so much more than fat and I don't want to ingest all that heavy meat muscle". (shovels in the macaroni and cheese)

I think this is my favorite
  • sofaking6
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, how had I never looked into the blood type diet. It's like the next best thing to a zodiac diet (up for this, btw).

[quotes]

So hilarious.

I'm a Virgo - it would be like, "Is your steak perfectly medium-rare? If not, throw it away and try again. Repeat until all food is perfect, only then may you eat".
  • KatieJane83
    Options

I...I have no words. None.
  • sofaking6
    Options

That cannot be from the same reality I exist in.