The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My boss says that during the week of the full moon, or right before it-you can eat all you want and not gain weight. I just smile and nod.
  • seric2000
    seric2000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    My boss says that during the week of the full moon, or right before it-you can eat all you want and not gain weight. I just smile and nod.

Hahahahaha! Just like calories don't count on your birthday.
  • arditarose
    Options
    seric2000 wrote: »

But that's true lol
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm self-employed, so the nutrition stupidity I find is on MFP.

LOL But be nice and call it "nutrition ignorance"

Ya my mother read that "Eat Right for Your Blood Type" book in the early 2000s. Thoroughly entertaining.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hey, that's totally true!! :D
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Wait...i thought they really didn't.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Oy, the blood type diet. :noway:

To me it always reads like "choose the foods you most enjoy. Got it? Okay. You can NEVER eat those foods again, because reasons."
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I know someone who became a vegetarian but hated vegetables. Yes she was in the hospital after about 2 months due to fainting spells.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I know someone who became a vegetarian but hated vegetables. Yes she was in the hospital after about 2 months due to fainting spells.

Wow. That's special.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Ha Ha Ha!!! Effects of Full Moon!
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who refuses to eat meat. I told her it was nice that she was a vegetarian.
    She said "no, I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't eat anything with muscles because I read that muscle weighs so much more than fat and I don't want to ingest all that heavy meat muscle". (shovels in the macaroni and cheese)
    Go ahead...be flabbergasted.

:o
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    There is a bakery here in town that has a giant wand hanging from their ceiling with a sign that says "Wave your pastry under the wand and it will magically remove the calories." This makes about as much sense as many of the supposed "scientific" thoughts that are spouted about food/nutrition/weight loss. I find as much on these forums as I do anywhere else.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Seriously this thread should be in the Fun & Games cuz its SO HILARIOUS! What planet are these people from lol.
    And yea....I had a friend who was eating picky stuff for "blood type" and the diet failed her. She was a little more than shocked to see I weighed less than her eating... well...just eating!

I am so IN for astrology dieting why hasn't Dr. Oz come up with this yet?
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    giusa wrote: »
    I have a coworker who refuses to eat meat. I told her it was nice that she was a vegetarian.
    She said "no, I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't eat anything with muscles because I read that muscle weighs so much more than fat and I don't want to ingest all that heavy meat muscle". (shovels in the macaroni and cheese)

:o

^ flabbergasm
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I just always get annoyed when I tell people I'm just eating a deficit and try to introduce them to MFP, and they say "yeah you're on a diet". NO I'M NOT its not a diet, it's just eating less! I don't see what's confusing about it lol. why does everything health-related have to be called a "diet".
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, how had I never looked into the blood type diet. It's like the next best thing to a zodiac diet (up for this, btw).
    As a Type B, you carry the genetic potential for great malleability and the ability to thrive in changeable conditions.... At the same time, it can be extremely challenging to balance two poles and Type B's tend to be highly sensitive to the effects of slipping out of balance.

For Type Bs the biggest factors in weight gain are corn, wheat, buckwheat, lentils, tomatoes, peanuts and sesame seeds.... Another very common food that Type Bs should avoid is chicken. Chicken contains a Blood Type B agglutinating lectin in its muscle tissue.... Dr. D'Adamo suggests that you wean yourself away from chicken and replace them with highly beneficial foods such as goat, lamb, mutton, rabbit and venison. Other foods that encourage weight loss are green vegetables, eggs, beneficial meats, and low fat dairy. When the toxic foods are avoided and replaced with beneficial foods, Blood Type Bs are very successful in controlling their weight.

most Blood Type B's often described themselves in ways related to the following characteristics: subjective, easygoing, creative, original and flexible. In another study, Type B's scored significantly higher on "intuiting," indicating a preference or sixth sense information; and they scored high on the "intuiting/feeling" combination, indicating that they tend to be insightful, mystical, idealistic, creative, globally-oriented, people-oriented and good at imagining.... Perhaps the nomadic life of the steppes contributed to long hours given over to talk as well as ample time for meditation and reflection.

So hilarious.

I'm a type B too. Yeah... goat... I'll get right on that.

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »

Wow. That's special.

Apparently eating only rice, pasta, bread and cheese is not very healthy. Oh and she also hated whole wheat stuff and brown rice.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

This wins.

This also wins every "muscle weighs more than fat" thread ever.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    currently at my office there are people who don't eat carbs, who think that starvation mode is a myth, think it's hard for me to lose weight because I lift heavy, who have had surgical interventions...

All the while any celebration has cake, the other part of the office gets chips, treats, cotton candy and the list goes on...and on and on...

I work in a ticking time bomb....

I just sit in my office and try not to interact too much....