The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    seric2000 wrote: »
    I have a coworker who refuses to eat meat. I told her it was nice that she was a vegetarian.
    She said "no, I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't eat anything with muscles because I read that muscle weighs so much more than fat and I don't want to ingest all that heavy meat muscle". (shovels in the macaroni and cheese)
    Go ahead...be flabbergasted.

This wins.

This also wins every "muscle weighs more than fat" thread ever.

Agree. lol.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the zodiac diet because I'm a Gemini and I think it will mean two lunches for me
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Our office secretary comes into my office every day to get a piece of chocolate. The chocolate is to reward herself for resisting a diet coke. Not that there's anything wrong with chocolate (I regularly eat it myself), but it seems odd to me to reward oneself for avoiding a calorie free option by having something with calories.

I just shrug and sip my diet coke.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    Our office secretary comes into my office every day to get a piece of chocolate. The chocolate is to reward herself for resisting a diet coke. Not that there's anything wrong with chocolate (I regularly eat it myself), but it seems odd to me to reward oneself for avoiding a calorie free option by having something with calories.

Is that why she's avoiding diet coke, because of her diet? I cut it out because it bloats me so much (way worse than normal people IMO).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Is that why she's avoiding diet coke, because of her diet? I cut it out because it bloats me so much (way worse than normal people IMO).

Yes, because of her diet.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options

Yes, because of her diet.

Oh dear
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who refuses to eat meat. I told her it was nice that she was a vegetarian.
    She said "no, I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't eat anything with muscles because I read that muscle weighs so much more than fat and I don't want to ingest all that heavy meat muscle". (shovels in the macaroni and cheese)

No. Way.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The facebook friend of mine who sells plexus and does his own testimonials. Pretty much every one of his posts is the derp.

Especially the ones about "how much better I feel now that I have premium nutrition in my diet", I'm like, you gave us the plexus shakes and cleanses.....I didn't know.....good for you.....good for you.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

I am so hoping this is not real. I just, I can't even...

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Oh jeeze, what's plexus? Another shady-azz ripoff MLM? IDK, we have people here at this place who always claim to be on some diet or other but weigh at least twice what would be healthy, and I mean literally. There's always someone really large debating the fine points of a celebrity diet with another really large person in the break room... I don't say anything. ever. I just drink my coffee and keep my snark inside my head.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Oh jeeze, what's plexus? Another shady-azz ripoff MLM? IDK, we have people here at this place who always claim to be on some diet or other but weigh at least twice what would be healthy, and I mean literally. There's always someone really large debating the fine points of a celebrity diet with another really large person in the break room... I don't say anything. ever. I just drink my coffee and keep my snark inside my head.

Yep that about covers it. It's super spammy.

I have a Facebook friend who sells it and when she first started posting about it I messaged her to let her know that her account had been hacked. Whoops.
  • seric2000
    seric2000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    KnM0107 wrote: »
    I am so hoping this is not real. I just, I can't even...

She's is real...real insane. We work in a hospital, by the way.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options

This is a gem!!!!!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

I think this is my favorite

Mine, too! That's all kinds of speshul!

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I have a Facebook friend who sells it and when she first started posting about it I messaged her to let her know that her account had been hacked. Whoops.

I've done that before too...but intentionally :)
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    smelius22 wrote: »
    I just always get annoyed when I tell people I'm just eating a deficit and try to introduce them to MFP, and they say "yeah you're on a diet". NO I'M NOT its not a diet, it's just eating less! I don't see what's confusing about it lol. why does everything health-related have to be called a "diet".

Maybe if you're getting the question a lot, rather than say you're eating less you could say that you've quit overeating.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Can someone explain to me the weird "don't eat past 9pm" thing? I've heard that a few times and I'm feeling search engine lazy right now.

Since you're not moving your metabolism shuts down and you store everything as fat.

Or something.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me the weird "don't eat past 9pm" thing? I've heard that a few times and I'm feeling search engine lazy right now.

I had a pretty drunken/intense discussion with my friend about this, and she went home and emailed me these studies at like 3 am. I didn't get too into them, but you might find something fun in there.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25707276
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25711020
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25665169
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25707277
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

I've done that before too...but intentionally :)

:laugh:

No it really was an accident.