The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    seric2000 wrote: »
    I have a coworker who refuses to eat meat. I told her it was nice that she was a vegetarian.
    She said "no, I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't eat anything with muscles because I read that muscle weighs so much more than fat and I don't want to ingest all that heavy meat muscle". (shovels in the macaroni and cheese)
    Go ahead...be flabbergasted.

I think this is my favorite
    +1

• JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    At the office now, and apparently "clean eating" is the go-to topic today. Made a smart-*kitten* comment about washing food before consumption and exited stage-left back to my desk.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I know someone who became a vegetarian but hated vegetables. Yes she was in the hospital after about 2 months due to fainting spells.

Thats my cousin. She has been vegan for at least 20 years (since she was 7years old - by her own choice). She only eats grain based things (bread, pasta, etc..) and fruit.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I know someone who became a vegetarian but hated vegetables. Yes she was in the hospital after about 2 months due to fainting spells.

Thats my cousin. She has been vegan for at least 20 years (since she was 7years old - by her own choice). She only eats grain based things (bread, pasta, etc..) and fruit.

We had a friend's kid staying with us for a few weeks. She decided she was vegetarian any time she didn't like what was for dinner. To her, vegetarian = can have cereal for dinner. She was miraculously cured of her vegetarianism when we had pepperoni pizza, but it came back the next night when we had chicken.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    bump, gotta get back to work but can't wait to read more, so entertaining
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

We had a friend's kid staying with us for a few weeks. She decided she was vegetarian any time she didn't like what was for dinner. To her, vegetarian = can have cereal for dinner. She was miraculously cured of her vegetarianism when we had pepperoni pizza, but it came back the next night when we had chicken.

This reminds me of my old office--which was largely Jewish, even, although the catering staff obviously was not--where a vegetarian friend of mine kept complaining that they'd never have any vegetarian options at lunch. During one such interaction he was informed that the salad was a vegetarian option, and he pointed out that it had bacon bits. Apparently the catering manager seemed flabbergasted that bacon bits counted as meat.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This reminds me of my old office--which was largely Jewish, even, although the catering staff obviously was not--where a vegetarian friend of mine kept complaining that they'd never have any vegetarian options at lunch. During one such interaction he was informed that the salad was a vegetarian option, and he pointed out that it had bacon bits. Apparently the catering manager seemed flabbergasted that bacon bits counted as meat.

Sounds like my gram....we have a vegan and 2 vegetarians in my family. My gram makes an AWESOME marinara from scratch. We found out recently that her "special, secret" ingredient is CHICKEN SOUP BASE. She insisted that it didn't count at meat and that it was fine for the veggies, lol!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

We're they Bacos? Coz they're vegetarian!

Bac-Os-Bits_1099x618.jpg?mh=320&mw=500
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I worked for years in a large office with mostly women. A large percentage were overweight or obese. Diet fads were epidemic. One person would start, another would follow, then a dozen people were all doing "it" (diet flavor of the week). The most ridiculous was when they all (one by one) started going to a local naturopath who promised to detox them and cure whatever illness they must have because of our overly toxic environment. Weight loss was just an added bonus. The recommended detox was 3 weeks of nothing but detox shakes that you had to, of course, buy from the doctor (red smoothie in the morning, green smoothie at night) and no solid food. The work fridge was chock full of nasty looking containers of yuck with people's names on them. All these women were starving and turned into raging "B's"! Most only lasted a day or three. Only one of my co-workers actually stuck with it and lost weight. After the 3 weeks of liquid diet she was then on 500 cals a day maintenance for 2 months. I remember her food intake was an apple for breakfast, 2 oz of chicken and a cucumber for lunch and a plain green salad for dinner. No wonder she lost weight! Said naturopath was probably laughing all the way to the bank.

I just smiled as I ate my normal amount of healthy real food and tried to avoid engaging in conversation with the detox groupies.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I work with a lady who is always on the latest fad, but she's so lovely that I just smile, listen to her and go about my business. But there's juicing, goji berries, no carbs after lunch, no lifting for fear of getting bulky, starvation mode... you name it.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    OK, just got caught up and I think this is the best thread since the one about the Poon diet (don't get me started!) Replying to the poster about the cabbage soup diet: yeah 20 years ago sounds about right. I did it for 3 days and got so light headed I had to stop. My gem came from a teacher who swears you have to drink water equal to 10% of your body weight. I thinks she meant in cups. So for me that would be a gallon plus some and as you lose weight your water requirement would decrease of course
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    So... I'm a type A Virgo... which clearly explains why Toph is my favorite A:TLA character.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    My co-worker is going to "bulk up" by eating lots of protein, but he doesn't think he needs to work out. The protein will just build the muscle for him.

10487268_919638154728513_8012114329792083514_n.jpg

• DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know eating my zodiac sign was an option. I can't wait to tell my wife this Taurus is going steak and eggs for breakfast, beef dips for lunch and a full roast for supper day in and day out.

I'd better make sure the low end of the scale is calibrated right.
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just had to sit and suffer through overhearing a coworker go on, ad nauseam through my cubicle wall, how eating carbs after dinner will mean they don't get digested but get immediately turned into evil evil adipose! Apparently everything else if fine, just not doze evil carbz.

The evens that I can't = all of them

Sorry, just had to spread my misery. Anyone have any other overheard gems to share?

I don't have anything of value to add to this thread, OP, I just wanted to tell you that I love you so damn much for spelling "ad nauseam" correctly. <3
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    cindaymom wrote: »
    Zodiac Diet -

Fire Signs (Aries, Leo and Sagittarius)- Only eat Taco Bell Fire sauce. As many packets as you like!
    Water Signs (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces) - Water, water and more water! Ice is acceptable too.
    Earth Signs (Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo)- Yep-Dirt. No cheating and sneaking in worms or other invertebrate proteins
    Air Signs (Libra, Aquarius, Gemini)- Ah, oh...sorry for your luck.

As a gemini- at least I'll definitely lose that extra 35 kgs I'm lugging around. The bad news is I would die. But hey my skeleton would be beautiful? :/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Nope, actual bacon.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Nope, actual bacon.

The vegetarian complained about the bacon but the Jewish workers did not? A catering manager that clueless needs a new line of work.

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    cnadiger wrote: »
    CandiceMcD wrote: »
    HA, I just looked up the military diet & I am confused as to how hot dogs and saltines are supposed to help you get healthier. I mean, I have had MREs that have been more nutritionally balanced. Not to mention, I gained like 20 lbs the first year I was in the military because of my love for the chow hall and daily grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.

Same here, I don't know anyone who lost weight the first couple of years in the military - unless they were already overweight and put on restrictions. :D

I was overweight and not put on any restrictions (dunno what you mean by restrictions anyways) we all ate at the same time at the same chow hall and the same food at the same time (in basic anyways). I knew plenty of ppl who lost weight in basic. I would say the majority lost some.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    belgerian wrote: »
    cnadiger wrote: »
    CandiceMcD wrote: »
    HA, I just looked up the military diet & I am confused as to how hot dogs and saltines are supposed to help you get healthier. I mean, I have had MREs that have been more nutritionally balanced. Not to mention, I gained like 20 lbs the first year I was in the military because of my love for the chow hall and daily grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.

Same here, I don't know anyone who lost weight the first couple of years in the military - unless they were already overweight and put on restrictions. :D

I was overweight and not put on any restrictions (dunno what you mean by restrictions anyways) we all ate at the same time at the same chow hall and the same food at the same time (in basic anyways). I knew plenty of ppl who lost weight in basic. I would say the majority lost some.

My husband was the skinniest I've ever seen him right after basic. He gained a lot back in A school though.