What is your WHY?

Replies

• MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    We're closing in on the end of March. How is everyone doing with the goals? How many are staying true to their reason why they are making the change?
  • MikePXstream
    Do you have a different why for different goals in your life? Please share.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Great thread!

My WHY is to get healthy. I'm a type two diabetic. I was diagnosed in August 08. I've struggled over the following years to maintain a healthy sugar level. I'm seeing success now why is fueling my Why and making me more determined to win. I've lost several pounds and my fasting sugar is down from the 120's to the upper 70's / low 80's.
  • MikePXstream
    That's great. Stay at it and you will do great. You probably read my story, so you know I have a family history of diabetes and lost my mom 1 1/2 years ago. That is why I push everyday.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Serious reason: my mom died. Diabetes-related stroke. I don't want to follow her. My cholesterol, blood pressure, and insulin numbers aren't great, so I need to work on my health if I want to live a long life.

Less-serious reason, but still a legit reason: My favorite Pixies sweatshirt is starting to get too small. I love it more than any article of clothing I've ever owned and I refuse to stop wearing it. Must lose weight for the hoodie.

ashleyisgreat
    ^ 619 posts, picture eating cotton candy.. and 0 weight lost

Just the example I was looking for: Desire to lose weight alone does not help. You have to DO something.

• VioletWhiteLotus
    VioletWhiteLotus Posts: 9 Member
    Mud Runs
    Cosplay
    Look Better
    Live longer - cause life is fun
    To run a race and not feel like death at the end
    jumping jacks without the jiggle
  • MikePXstream
    I love mud runs. I need to do more of them.
  • rorysmommy
    rorysmommy Posts: 7 Member
    This makes total sense! I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago, why? because I promised my 5 year old daughter that I would quit when she was done with chemo. THAT was a good enough "why" for me. Now I need to really find one for weight loss. I've been struggling a lot with trying to stay on track. I'll do good for a couple months then stop. My "why" isn't good enough. Time to find my "why"!
  • MikePXstream
    @rorysmommy It will come to you. When you can think of something that has a strong emotional attachment, then that is probably your why.
  • shauna913
    shauna913 Posts: 19 Member
    What is my why?

I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I realized that I haven't been living, just existing. I just recently turned 40 and I feel like I am 60. I want to stop just going through the motions and start taking charge of things in my life. I live in defeat and I finally realized that the person I've become isn't the Real me. I can do anything if I really want too. No more excuses! Its time to start living and I am excited about the road ahead!!!
  • MikePXstream
    @shauna913 good for you. Become your own superhero and take control of yourlife. You got this!
  • cdcruizer05
    cdcruizer05 Posts: 1,006 Member
    healthier, look and feel good.
  • MikePXstream
    @cdcruizer05 , that's a good start, but expand on that. Everyone wants to be healthier, look and feel good. But WHY do you want to be healthier, look and feel good?
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Where clothes and have them fit without searching for XXL
    Self Confidence
    Find Love
    Avoid Diabetes 2 and all the other medical issues that come with obesity
  • MikePXstream
    All great reason's to continue the healthy journey.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    my superficial why is I don't want to be a fat bride.
    other whys include: I want to be the good looking wench at the renfaires. I want to not be asked if I'm pregnant. I want to not always be out of breath. I want to hurt less and less weight will help that. I want to shop in Juniors cause they have all the best clothes.

mostly: I just don't feel like this is really who I am and I want my outside to match my insides.
  • MikePXstream
    @moyer566 Sounds like a good reason why. Allow me to get you to think a little deeper. How will it make you feel once you are able to shop in the junior section? Why is it so important to you to have the outside match the inside. If you can answer that, your answer will be the true driving force to help you succeed! ;)
  • greengrassgala
    greengrassgala Posts: 15 Member
    I have a few responses to the "why" question.

1. be healthy for my family (I don't want to die of a preventable disease)
    2. have energy (I want to be able to dance and hike without feeling overwhelmed)
    3. look good (look good, feed good)
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    My why:
    1: To enjoy the small things in life, bike riding, playing at the park with my kids etc..
    2: Health reasons
    3: To feel good about myself and comfortable in my own skin
    4: Energy, to have the energy to do things for myself and my family
    5: I don't want a stiff sore, slow body and mind anymore
    6: To be around to see my grandchildren (If I am blessed to have them)
    7: To be able to ride the amusement park rides with my kids.
    8: Healthy mind and body helps fight off depression
    9: To get my family living a healthier lifestyle
    10: I still have a long way to go, but each day I am feeling stronger, healthier and happier and I don't want that to go away.
    Thank you for the great post. and I wish you all much success on your journey