What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    Don't want the health issues my mom has, to look better in clothes, wedding is done but to be the less fat and only plus size bridesmaid at brother's wedding
  • moniduh
    moniduh Posts: 100
    Options
    Amazing post... I have a lot of whys but here are the main ones.

1. I want to be comfortable with myself when I look in the mirror.
    2. I want the endurance that is above average. I want to excel when I go out with friends on physical adventures.
    3. I want to stay in regular clothing stores. My weight was getting to the point where it was a real possibility that I wouldn't be able to fit into anything my favorite stores offered.
    4. I didn't like the way people looked at me when I walked into a restaurant or clothing store and I was around slender friends.
    5. My health.
    6. Encouraging others. If I can do it so can you.
    7. The CHALLENGE!! I love to see how much better I can become each week :)
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much in shape, just want to maintain and lose 15 more pounds to look real cut and lean and the way I feel I am meant to be. I want to live a long life thats healthy. I don't want to end up like my mom and gramma who both may be pre-diabetic :( This woman doesn't and will not own big girl pants or granny panties >.< I believe that our mental image of OURSELVES always reflects in our relationships (with anyone let alone our spouses)so I want to stay the way I am, sexy. Its important for me to just feel great about myself. THAT is MY why!!!! Peace, love, and hair grease!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Extremely cool-- thank you for posting this thread!

My why is that at age 61, plastic surgery pretty much head-to-toe is my only hope of looking beautiful again, because I am 61 years old. I have endured excruciating poverty my entire adult life. So I enter contests, sweepstakes and free online lotteries desperately hoping for a win. I cannot look good at ANY weight without plastic surgery-- menopause redistributed my weight even though my weight didn't change, and turned me into a matronly blob.

But I know that I must be at my best weight FOR plastic surgery, because if I lose or gain after plastic surgery it would ruin the results.

So I need to lose probably between 5 and 9 pounds. I am @ 121 pounds @ 5' 3 1/2." I plan to begin my diet within the next several days. I will fine-tune my goal to an exact number on the scale when I see that I am at the optimum weight for plastic surgery.

The marvelous, wondrous, wonderful thing about dieting is that you are in complete control of choosing and reaching that magic number in that scale. Except for that, and coloring our hair, what else can we control about how age destroys our looks? EXCEPT for thousands and thouands of $$$$$$ worth of plastic surgery?
  • conniekat8
    conniekat8 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Why - because if I don't take care of myself... **** happens.
    I don't like being amid of ****, I can do much better.
    Also, having some self respect for accomplishing things is an awfully nice feeling, one I neglected to pay attention for a few years.
  • transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. Reading these have made me assess my own situation and why exactly I want to succeed.

For one, the biggie for me is insecurity. I have *always* been insecure with my weight. Because of this insecurity I would make heaps of excuses not to enjoy life like a normal young person would. I would be the friend sitting on the beach and baking with a towel draped over my stomach instead of enjoying the cool water. I would avoid going out to nightclubs as I assumed that I wasn't thin-enough (or hot enough) to associate with the crowd. Every day of shopping would end in self-pity after failing to successfully try on and look good in all the fabulous clothes I wanted to wear.

The only time this insecurity went away was when I got down to a healthy weight and knew I looked amazing. For the first time since I was fourteen years old, I wore a bathing suit without a t-shirt, accepted that I was pretty enough to attract a guy's attention, and enjoyed fitting into clothes they way they were supposed to fit me.

Ever since I gained some weight back, the confidence went away. And once again I find myself retracting back to those old, depressing habits.

So I know I felt amazing at 58 kg (128 lbs) at 160 cm (5'3). I know that's achievable as I've done it in the past. I know that's healthy as I wasn't classified as underweight. Why not strive for that again?
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    So I don't be the fat grandmother.

It's that simple. My step-grandmother is about 500 pounds, she simply won't treat her diabetes, she eats all the time - all the time, she had a little scooter until she got too big for it; now she rolls around in a wheelchair. She has to stay inside because if she goes anywhere, she has to call a bus to get her - she can't ride in regular cars.

I don't ever want to be her, ever. I want to be able to run around with children, be an example of what a healthy future can look like.
  • akbp77
    akbp77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I want to be healthy, feel healthy, look healthy.

& It would be nice to look like a knockout in my wedding dress. ;)
  • queendebor
    queendebor Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    A great question, and one that requires self-examination.

I am 55 and have been overweight since spring of 8th grade. That's when my mom had her first heart attack. I have dieted and not dieted like a rollercoaster for a good 40 years. As of yesterday, I weigh more than at any other point in my life. I have also had migraine since I was 5. In my thirties to forties, it became chronic. By my late forties to within the last year, it has been daily chronic migraine, along with depression and anxiety, which are common with migraine. There are days when trying to answer simple questions is impossible and my daughter takes me to the clinic or ER. But I never thought about how it affected my weight and physical activity.

I spent my life worrying about heart disease, which runs rampant in my mother's family. Of a family of six, five died in their fifties and sixties. My uncle is the only one who survives and he's closing in on 80! Big surprise, he hasn't smoked in over fifty years, eats fresh vegetables and lean meat, and still exercises regularly. So, since I never smoked, I figured if I'd just eat healthier and exercise, I'd be fine. Every time I've tried, I hit a rough spell of headaches, lasting days and going on for weeks at a time. But instead of realizing that I can't completely control that part of my life, I've blamed myself for being lazy and lacking self-control.

Over the past couple years, I've learned to be much more attentive to my diet for migraine triggers, wear sunglasses all day every day, avoid activities that are prone to trigger headache, and prepare for things like flights, storms, and other environmental triggers that I have little control over. That has helped lessen the frequency and intensity of my attacks.

Two things happened recently that have given me the why I need to overcome my health issues and become healthy. One - I moved last weekend. I had great help, but just carrying a medium weight box to my car had me out of breath and weak. If I had to run for my life right now, I don't think I could do it. In fact, given my family history, I'd probably have a heart attack. Scared the crap out of me. I WILL have a heart attack soon if I don't do something about my health. Two - I watched the Today Show interview with Matt Lauer and Amy VanDyken-Rouen, the Olympic swimmer who very recently severed her spinal chord. She's putting in almost full days in rehab and her attitude is "This is my reality. This is for my life." So despite my migraine, etc. how can I say it's too hard? I have to accept that with my health issues, this will take awhile. I may go a week without being able to exercise. That doesn't mean quit, it means get better and get back at it.

I have a little over 100 pounds to lose. I'm giving myself two years. Or however long it takes.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    A great question, and one that requires self-examination.

I am 55 and have been overweight since spring of 8th grade. That's when my mom had her first heart attack. I have dieted and not dieted like a rollercoaster for a good 40 years. As of yesterday, I weigh more than at any other point in my life. I have also had migraine since I was 5. In my thirties to forties, it became chronic. By my late forties to within the last year, it has been daily chronic migraine, along with depression and anxiety, which are common with migraine. There are days when trying to answer simple questions is impossible and my daughter takes me to the clinic or ER. But I never thought about how it affected my weight and physical activity.

I spent my life worrying about heart disease, which runs rampant in my mother's family. Of a family of six, five died in their fifties and sixties. My uncle is the only one who survives and he's closing in on 80! Big surprise, he hasn't smoked in over fifty years, eats fresh vegetables and lean meat, and still exercises regularly. So, since I never smoked, I figured if I'd just eat healthier and exercise, I'd be fine. Every time I've tried, I hit a rough spell of headaches, lasting days and going on for weeks at a time. But instead of realizing that I can't completely control that part of my life, I've blamed myself for being lazy and lacking self-control.

Over the past couple years, I've learned to be much more attentive to my diet for migraine triggers, wear sunglasses all day every day, avoid activities that are prone to trigger headache, and prepare for things like flights, storms, and other environmental triggers that I have little control over. That has helped lessen the frequency and intensity of my attacks.

Two things happened recently that have given me the why I need to overcome my health issues and become healthy. One - I moved last weekend. I had great help, but just carrying a medium weight box to my car had me out of breath and weak. If I had to run for my life right now, I don't think I could do it. In fact, given my family history, I'd probably have a heart attack. Scared the crap out of me. I WILL have a heart attack soon if I don't do something about my health. Two - I watched the Today Show interview with Matt Lauer and Amy VanDyken-Rouen, the Olympic swimmer who very recently severed her spinal chord. She's putting in almost full days in rehab and her attitude is "This is my reality. This is for my life." So despite my migraine, etc. how can I say it's too hard? I have to accept that with my health issues, this will take awhile. I may go a week without being able to exercise. That doesn't mean quit, it means get better and get back at it.

I have a little over 100 pounds to lose. I'm giving myself two years. Or however long it takes.

Good for you. I am happy to hear that you are making changes for the better. It can be hard, and difficult, and there will be times when you want to take a day off. 1-2 days is ok. Just don't let it turn into 3, 6, 12, 24, etc. One day at a time. You can do this. Thank you for sharing.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    . I WILL NOT ENTER 40 AS THIS SAME PERSON!!

I love the fire and passion you have on that one statement. I have faith in you!
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Because I deserve it! And I no longer want to look like I did 2 1/2 years ago (as seen in my profile pic for TBT) for over 20 years!
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation last week and I decided while I was there that I want to do this a) for vanity, b) for health reasons (it makes my digestive issues SO much better) and c) because my overall self confidence skyrockets when I'm smaller. I lost 40 pounds in 2012, and I have been maintaining (ish- little up & down 10ish pounds) since. I want to get the last pounds off. LOVE this post!
  • Raisingsonshines
    Raisingsonshines Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My mom died of a heart attack at 38 when I was 10.

I didn't want to die. Simple.

Now I keep at it so I can look hot. Oops. :blushing:
  • jayme252014
    Options
    My sister's wedding is coming up and though I have learned to be secure with my body at any size I began to obsess about how big my arms were going to look in the dress and after costly and elaborate plans of sea wraps, contour spray tan and the like I finally realized that maybe just maybe exercise was the key.

I am just two sizes away from shopping at a normal store--I go to the mall and there is nothing that I can buy and the clothes that do fit are super expensive, have no style. While I am currently enjoying my clothing rental experiment I would much rather be able to go to a big sale at clothing retailer and buy stuff. I am also convinced the clothing industry thinks plus size women do not wear suits and the ones who do are exceedingly wealthy.

Finally, I am vain. I admit it, I like to look good. I like the attention of being attractive and well frankly nobody is going to look at me unless they see me munching on a donut with a disapproving look.

It is a much longer road than in the past because all the past crash diets, fits of intense exercise have killed my system but I am slowly but surely getting there.
  • Geekygal85
    Geekygal85 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well I figured instead of rewriting my entire story on here, I would just include the link to the post I made about my journey. It includes on of my many reasons why I want to lose weight for myself!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1321454-it-s-been-a-long-hard-road-and-i-m-only-partially-there
  • StacyPhillipsTSFLcoach
    Options
    I wanted to THRIVE not just SURVIVE.

I wanted to be a model of health for my son who needed that so desperately in his life.

I wanted to CREATE something AMAZING.

So I began creating Optimal Health in my life, and a side effect of that was losing 150 pounds.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I think the philosophical "Why" has to be big enough to overcome the barriers to eating right and exercising. My "whys" are probably smaller than that of a person who has fewer financial resources ("ramen-every-night budget"), or less time (working 3 jobs no time for sleep much less home cooking or exercise), or more responsibilities to other people (kids)--they just don't have the resources to overcome their barriers unless they are being compelled by something huge.

One factor I think causes 'infant mortality' in new health seekers--since they are inexperienced and want rapid results to encourage themselves, they tend to try too hard. They starve themselves with unsustainable brutally-strict diets, and think "running" means going out and running as fast as you can until you can't breathe. They think you have to lift weights to exhaustion for every muscle group every day. "Target heart rate" is an alien concept.

My "why" is that I can't do some activities I enjoy for as long or as skillfully as I'd like when I'm fat and unfit. The better I can optimize my health the more fun I can have. So, weak sauce, I guess--hedonism as a motivation for exercise and diet restriction.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My WHY? Wow, you just hit the nail on the head. I have struggled with weight loss for a long time, until recently.

I keep wondering what is different this time from so many other times. Now I know thanks to you and your post.

I found my WHY!

My WHY is like so many others, a combination of many things. But it was the addition of the doctor telling me I was 3 months away from needing insulin to control my Type 2 Diabetes coupled with my wife suggesting weight loss surgery that really caused a paradigm shift that I so badly needed.

I’m not suggesting that weight loss surgery is wrong, it just wasn’t for me. I know I’ve watched my mom who had that surgery lose weight rapidly AND she “lost” the diabetes as well. But I recognized that the surgery is not the easy way to lose weight. It’s the hard way. You still have to deal with why you over eat and all the emotions involved with depriving yourself.

No, I just decided on April 28th of 2014 that I was going to give it a 100% effort using MyFitnessPal and I would see what I could accomplish on my own.

My wife said “you don’t eat like a diabetic” and that got my attention. I started reading about how to eat like a diabetic and also started testing my blood sugars frequently (vs. almost never) and adjusted my eating accordingly. Here I am 66 days later and I keep telling people things are just getting easier every day.

I fear for the day that I might lack the motivation that I’ve tapped in to and that has helped me lose weight and get my diabetes under control. But now I know that I just need to keep focusing on my WHY so that I can make it through those times.

Thanks for sharing this with us. It really gave me that “ah-ha” moment I needed!
  • Katashi55
    Katashi55 Posts: 5
    Options
    Because I know I can be better; and I want to!

I've become a great fan of the Conversations with God trilogy. The novels highlight that we humans are creators of our own destiny. With hindsight, I can now see how "I let myself go". I want to recreate my destiny as I believe that I was not created by such a marvelous God to lead a life of mediocrity, where I spend too much of my time comparing myself to the photo shopped models and secretly binge eating. I know I can lead a better life; this is all part of my choice to do so. But the hardest part is consistently making that decision to become better. To stay focused, conscious and accountable for my actions.