If the food industry is the "apparent" issue for obesity and health issues....

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    One of my goals is to be able to do prison pull ups without being in prison.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Interesting perspective. Makes a lot of sense.
    Really it debunks a lot of what natural, paleo, low carbers, etc. say about processed foods or foods that are not whole when it comes to actual weight loss.
    Again I'm not endorsing that one eats nothing but low quality food when it comes to weight loss, but the fact is that CICO is all the really matters when it comes to weight loss. It's obvious if one wants to improve their overall health and/or performance, a much better selection of food should be the option.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I have worked in corrections for a very long time, so I can intelligently comment on this one. In prison inmates are typically fed around 2500-2700 calories per day. The breakdown is about 50/25/25 with carbs being the 50. Inmates on work details and in kitchen jobs can get double this. Also, inmates are allowed to purchase supplementary food items on commissary/canteen. Food is cash in prison. You get what you need with food so why eat your money.

So why are obesity rates in prison lower? Simple, if one is not fit and able to defend ones self, one is dead or enslaved. To be out of shape, is to be a potential victim. Nothing is quite so unappetizing and crave reducing as the constant thought of a sudden violent assault. Fitness in prison equals survival. Also, the prison population is younger (old inmates are 55). Additionally, the inmates have unlimited time to exercise and work out. I see inmates who think nothing of 1500-2000 burpees' daily.

What has always astounded me is people who as a lifestyle violate any and every rule of society, live under even stricter rules while incarcerated. Everything is regimented and disciplined by gangs and influential groups. When, where, and with whom, one eats, showers, shaves and *kitten* is approved and assigned by an inmate with the ability to punish. This includes workouts. they are mandatory, daily, and very intense.

If you think this is a good diet plan, you are probably right. But, when was the last time your personal trainer stabbed you in the groin multiple times with a piece of rusty steel he kept in his *kitten*?

yup my dad bulked up a bit from working out so much in prison and yea .. he "protected" some people which im pretty sure means owned them.....you wanna keep owning people? you better be scary and ready to fight
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have worked in corrections for a very long time, so I can intelligently comment on this one. In prison inmates are typically fed around 2500-2700 calories per day. The breakdown is about 50/25/25 with carbs being the 50. Inmates on work details and in kitchen jobs can get double this. Also, inmates are allowed to purchase supplementary food items on commissary/canteen. Food is cash in prison. You get what you need with food so why eat your money.

So why are obesity rates in prison lower? Simple, if one is not fit and able to defend ones self, one is dead or enslaved. To be out of shape, is to be a potential victim. Nothing is quite so unappetizing and crave reducing as the constant thought of a sudden violent assault. Fitness in prison equals survival. Also, the prison population is younger (old inmates are 55). Additionally, the inmates have unlimited time to exercise and work out. I see inmates who think nothing of 1500-2000 burpees' daily.

What has always astounded me is people who as a lifestyle violate any and every rule of society, live under even stricter rules while incarcerated. Everything is regimented and disciplined by gangs and influential groups. When, where, and with whom, one eats, showers, shaves and *kitten* is approved and assigned by an inmate with the ability to punish. This includes workouts. they are mandatory, daily, and very intense.

If you think this is a good diet plan, you are probably right. But, when was the last time your personal trainer stabbed you in the groin multiple times with a piece of rusty steel he kept in his *kitten*?
    It's definitely true that being fitter in prison will likely increase survival rates, but the much more likely reason they aren't obese (even for the ones that don't workout) is because they aren't over eating. Again, most can't because of lack of access. If food were ALWAYS available in large amounts, like it is when they are free, then there would probably be an issue with obesity. But again it still going to come down to CICO regardless of the type of food quality.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I disagree. Physiology of inmates isn't different than that of the general population. They still eat, poop and rest like everyone else. In this sense, it's not the food that matters. It's the AMOUNT of food that they are eating versus the general population. Look at the menu above and you can see that it's not super high in calories. And of course it's not that high in nutrition or essentials either.

Consider what a person living in poverty (or most other Americans, for that matter) is likely to be eating outside of prison--Soda, chips, fast food. So not only is the quantity stabilizing (food insecurity messes with your metabolism), but the quality is going way up. There's fresh fruit at every meal. There are vegetables (however broadly defined) at least twice every day. There's water. There's no soda or fruit juice in sight. It's still not even close to ideal, but it's likely to be a huge improvement in quality as well as quantity.

In addition to this, you haven't even addressed whether inmates are actually healthy or even slim according to anything but your wild guesses. This reductionist approach is not holding water at all.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I disagree. Physiology of inmates isn't different than that of the general population. They still eat, poop and rest like everyone else. In this sense, it's not the food that matters. It's the AMOUNT of food that they are eating versus the general population. Look at the menu above and you can see that it's not super high in calories. And of course it's not that high in nutrition or essentials either.

Consider what a person living in poverty (or most other Americans, for that matter) is likely to be eating outside of prison--Soda, chips, fast food. So not only is the quantity stabilizing (food insecurity messes with your metabolism), but the quality is going way up. There's fresh fruit at every meal. There are vegetables (however broadly defined) at least twice every day. There's water. There's no soda or fruit juice in sight. It's still not even close to ideal, but it's likely to be a huge improvement in quality as well as quantity.

In addition to this, you haven't even addressed whether inmates are actually healthy or even slim according to anything but your wild guesses. This reductionist approach is not holding water at all.

Why is a person living in poverty eating soda, chips, and fast food?!
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Ok. Devil's advocate. If the food is so bad, perhaps they are not eating as much because it sucks. Are they allowed to eat as much as they want or is there a limit? And perhaps they are moving around enough to offset their calorie intake. I've never been to prison, but do they make license plates and do manual labor type things there? I wonder what the percentage is of inmates that use a weight room or exercise room? I don't know.

Portion controlled food, not all you can eat (although if you have the reputation I suppose you could technically eat others food).
    img}]
    Lol, lots of times that "Kosher" item is a pickle.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That doesn't seem like a lot of food to me. The calorie intake does not seem great either. So most of these inmates are probably eating AT or UNDER their calorie allowance to maintain or gain weight. Also, inmates have a LOT of extra time. If they're not out in the yard exercising, they're in their cells exercising. They have all the time in the world so exercise. Just my thoughts.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Ok. Devil's advocate. If the food is so bad, perhaps they are not eating as much because it sucks. Are they allowed to eat as much as they want or is there a limit? And perhaps they are moving around enough to offset their calorie intake. I've never been to prison, but do they make license plates and do manual labor type things there? I wonder what the percentage is of inmates that use a weight room or exercise room? I don't know.

Portion controlled food, not all you can eat (although if you have the reputation I suppose you could technically eat others food).
    img}]

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That doesn't seem like a lot of food to me. The calorie intake does not seem great either. So most of these inmates are probably eating AT or UNDER their calorie allowance to maintain or gain weight. Also, inmates have a LOT of extra time. If they're not out in the yard exercising, they're in their cells exercising. They have all the time in the world so exercise. Just my thoughts.

That's the WHOLE point.
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Niner,

Do you even read bro?

Food is everywhere in prison. It is currency, it is available to everyone all the time. The motivating factor for not overeating inside prison walls is exactly the same as outside prison walls. .........survival. The difference to those of you outside the walls is your survival motivator isn't a 245lb 6 foot 2 psychopath with face tattoos and missing fingers. The urgency for survival is much more apparent inside prison.

Dying from a heart attack doesn't have the same motivational power as dying from an assault or we would have horror movies filmed at Burger King.

The typical day of a CDCR inmate in the first person.

7 am Wake up, check to see if I am dead.

7:30 am eat breakfast consisting of eggs, oatmeal, pancakes, bacon or ham or spam etc... whole milk ...don't get killed.

8:00 mandatory in cell workouts....this is so my "friends" don't kill me...

8:30 Take "friend" to shower day so an enemy doesn't kill me.

9:30 Go to work or a cell where I steal anything and everything I can for my "friends" so they don't kill me.

12:00 eat a lunch full of fats, sugars, and refines/processed foods, beans, spam, bologna, cheese and full fat milk

1-4:00 Work, steal, extort and do drugs while both "friends and enemies" decide if they should kill me

4:00 to 5:00 run laps or play basketball while not looking out for your "friends" who might want to kill you.

5:00 eat dinner while trying not to sit anywhere near an enemy which would make my "friends" kill me even if my enemy didn't want to

6:00 to 11:00 get your hustle on, this means more mandatory working out, "putting in work" which is contributing to the criminal enterprises of your "friends" (not optional) Selling and buying extra food items at the prison store, and trying to find out who the hell my "friends" are so I can decide who to trust and who to trust less.

Saying people don't overeat in prison because there is no food, is like saying they don't do drugs because drugs are illegal and that would be bad. People in prison are in better shape, because either they can be in better shape or they can be victimized. choices.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

img}]

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Federal prisons are known to have better food quality verse county jails and state prisons. Believe me there's nothing kosher about most of the things served at the local prisons here .
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Why is a person living in poverty eating soda, chips, and fast food?!

Because of limited to nonexistent opportunities for buy fresh food. Google "food desert."
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Then why aren't incarcerated people having the same issues?

The prison system serves the lowest quality food. Processed, low grade, fatty, sodium filled, and HFCS injected. ALL the time. And yet with an average 5-15 year incarceration for most inmates, obesity statistics aren't that of the general population.

Food of course is restricted to 3 meals a day. It's not a buffet, so it's portioned out. They aren't exercising all the time to burn off the calories. They don't have daily health care. And there's lots of smoking to boot. In fact, they aren't likely meeting nutritional values essentially, so it's expected that they have chronic health issues. So why aren't these inmates dying off faster with all these issues? A prisoner is much more likely to die of violence in prison, rather than from the "bad" food they are subjected to, yet health officials and some "natural" advocates are claiming that the food industry is the culprit to the obesity epidemic.

Point is that if "bad" food is REALLY the issue for being overweight and obesity and really killing us off, then the same results should be reflected in the prison population. And it's not.
    Obesity and weight issues are a DIRECT issue of intake/output. Get that under control and you'll more than likely reduce you risk of health issues.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The prison system is required to provide nutritionally balanced meals. The food in prison is usually better than that in schools and nursing homes. It's sad but very true.

Inmates do have daily health care. They do exercise as well.
  • HumboldtFred
    Options
    Also the mandated foods are dictated by lobbyists both for the inmates themselves and from AG groups. Whole wheat bread, whole milk and fresh fruits and veggies are mandated by state and federal law. In my state it is CA WI code Title 15.
  • ninerbuff
    edited April 2015
    Options

You must have missed the menu. There is juice on the menu. Also you're not taking into consideration what they might buy from commissary (which will be usually made up of junk food and not fruits or water). I posted pictures of inmates. Find an obese one for me. And I also posted info on health in the prison system.
    It holds water just fine if you would've have looked at the whole thread instead of my rebuttal to you.

EDIT: There's "fruit" on the menu. My bad.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

img}]

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That was the point of the thread. It's NOT about the quality of the food, it's about the AMOUNT of food being taken in.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• HumboldtFred
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have never seen a fat meth or opiates addict that has been doing the drug for more than a few months. Either they don't want to eat so they can take apart the microwave to find the magic, or they sleep through 15 meals at a time.

Hint...these are the guys in prison...shhhhhhh
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Lots of obese inmates in the system here. In a lot of cases long term inmates are pretty thin upon intake but gain considerable weight while they are in. Some workout and muscle up and some just get round. The most popular commissary item here is peanut butter packets.
  • HumboldtFred
    Options
    The most popular things here are peanuts, shelf stable chicken and tuna, and powdered milk. Protein.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Niner,

Do you even read bro?

Food is everywhere in prison. It is currency, it is available to everyone all the time. The motivating factor for not overeating inside prison walls is exactly the same as outside prison walls. .........survival. The difference to those of you outside the walls is your survival motivator isn't a 245lb 6 foot 2 psychopath with face tattoos and missing fingers. The urgency for survival is much more apparent inside prison.

Dying from a heart attack doesn't have the same motivational power as dying from an assault or we would have horror movies filmed at Burger King.

The typical day of a CDCR inmate in the first person.

7 am Wake up, check to see if I am dead.

7:30 am eat breakfast consisting of eggs, oatmeal, pancakes, bacon or ham or spam etc... whole milk ...don't get killed.

8:00 mandatory in cell workouts....this is so my "friends" don't kill me...

8:30 Take "friend" to shower day so an enemy doesn't kill me.

9:30 Go to work or a cell where I steal anything and everything I can for my "friends" so they don't kill me.

12:00 eat a lunch full of fats, sugars, and refines/processed foods, beans, spam, bologna, cheese and full fat milk

1-4:00 Work, steal, extort and do drugs while both "friends and enemies" decide if they should kill me

4:00 to 5:00 run laps or play basketball while not looking out for your "friends" who might want to kill you.

5:00 eat dinner while trying not to sit anywhere near an enemy which would make my "friends" kill me even if my enemy didn't want to

6:00 to 11:00 get your hustle on, this means more mandatory working out, "putting in work" which is contributing to the criminal enterprises of your "friends" (not optional) Selling and buying extra food items at the prison store, and trying to find out who the hell my "friends" are so I can decide who to trust and who to trust less.

Saying people don't overeat in prison because there is no food, is like saying they don't do drugs because drugs are illegal and that would be bad. People in prison are in better shape, because either they can be in better shape or they can be victimized. choices.
    There's a difference of being able to buy food and having to do something to earn food. Out here you go to a store. Pick something and pay for it. In prison, it might require something not worth it. There's a difference when you're speaking of "access". If I had to go kick someone's head in to get a box of cookies, I defer to not eating them because I know the outcome would be probably getting shanked when I'm not looking.
    That's what I mean by "access".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png