• 12Ace12
    12Ace12 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    12Ace12 wrote: »
    I just stop eating meat 4/25 and dariy on the 4/28 I need to know what food to eat. Help Help Pleaseeeee!

you should have had the foresight to figure this out.

Ugh, well, everyone knows you can eat vegetables as a vegetarian, but if it's not a concept you've been around, the idea can be daunting, no matter how much you want it. OP just needed some ideas, I'm sure.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    There's the outside possibility that you should have given some consideration to this question prior to dropping meat and dairy.

Are you just fasting until you can figure out what a vegetable is?
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 13 years, and 9 of those years I was a vegan. Before you dive right in, I'd recommend doing research and getting a cookbook or two. It can be an overwhelming decision to make quickly, because then you end up getting stuck on pasta and processed veggie burgers. Most vegan cookbooks will have kitchen "must haves" list. I buy a decent combination of frozen and fresh vegetables and fruit, lots and lots of spinach, almond milk, mixed nuts, and a few other staples of my diet. It will mostly depend on your preferences, and what foods sound good to you. It will help at first to meal plan. Pick 5 recipes and buy all of the ingredients for them. Milk is not the only source of calcium, there is calcium in a lot of greens (spinach, kale, collard). Basically, do some research and get oriented to recipes, ingredients, and what you should be buying at the store for your nutrition needs, then make the move. Once you are ready, I do not recommend "easing in", only because then you become one of those people that is a "a vegetarian, except for chicken" and people will hate you. I also went for a while and basically made vegan versions of meaty food. I still do this sometimes, but it used to be literally every meal. (Vegan mac and cheese, vegan sloppy joes with vegan cheese, vegan mayonnaise, etc) It was not any healthier than just eating meat. I eat much more balanced now, but it took focus and reworking my buying habits. I'd try to avoid bad habits in the beginning. Also, try not to be the cliche uptight vegan/vegetarian. You don't need to call every restaurant and ask if they cook their bean burger on the same grill as their meat burgers. I've never been afraid or offended to eat around or pick off meat if I had to. It's important to remember that your diet should not rule your life, and it should definitely not rule the lives of others. So be cognizant and appreciative of the times when people make exceptions for you. (Friends ordering a veggie pizza just for you, or people preparing you a special meal)
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous post. Morning star do have great products. The chicken patties were great! With the tofu, research to see what kind to buy and how to cook. I didn't do that and mine was terrible.

You can do this for whatever reason you decided to. :)
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I recently became obsessed with soy milk, so you could always substitute unsweetened soy milk in place of dairy milk and use it with whole grain cereal! I used to drink almond milk, but soy has a better ratio of protein, which could really help you!
    Other things include guacamole, beans, tofu, boca burgers (they're absolutely divine), eggs, seafood (unless you stopped eating this, as well), harvest snaps (they're also a wonderful new treat I found, absolutely addicting, way better than potato chips but high in protein and fiber. I buy it at Walmart or BJ's, look for Calbee's brand!), nuts, seeds, hemp hearts, hummus, etc.
    Even if you're craving pasta Barilla now has a protein plus pasta which is really good, you can always add some pasta sauce, vegan cheese, and chopped up boca burger to make it super yummy!
    Also, if you're craving ice cream, So Delicious makes great coconut milk frozen desserts (I prefer their no sugar added vanilla or chocolate versions)!
    Luckily we live in a world where you can buy just about any kind of food produced without meat or dairy!
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This is a troll everybody move on.
  • veganstephanie
    veganstephanie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Vegan for 10 years so feel free to friend me.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to make seitan (wheat meat) with vital wheat gluten? It's easy, but time-consuming. About 3 oz. of it has 20 g of protein. That's where I got my protein source when I ate vegan. Also, they're a little expensive, but there's a company called Gardein that makes some really, really good vegan frozen foods. Look them up online. I spent a lot of time on Pinterest too to get ideas for meals.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I smell a troll.
  • 12Ace12
    Options
    I need a big change in my life Vegetarian is something I been wanted to do for the last few years right now I just want to know what I can eat without eating animals or anything that comes for a animals if that's not a crime.... o:)
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options

I'm inclined to believe the above statement, but what they hey, I'll feed the troll just because it's a slow work day.

I'm seeing a lot of preaching about tofu - the only caveat/point of consideration is that with "formed" (read: processed) food is that it inevitably lends itself to all sorts of questionable additives in order to keep form, consistency, etc. (read the ingredient list on a box of "tofu nuggets" to see what I mean). The "pure" soybean is generally the best way to go, unless you're really craving something like a burger. There are also inconclusive studies out there that correlate soybean consumption with elevated estrogen levels, theorized to be due to the presence of phytoestrogen in the beans themselves. Again, not conclusive, but something to consider.

The above being said, I do enjoy using tempeh and soybeans in my diet, though I do eat meat so they're not a staple, per se.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    joeboland wrote: »

I'm inclined to believe the above statement, but what they hey, I'll feed the troll just because it's a slow work day.

Yeah, I also figure, regardless of the OPs motives for the post, there might be other folks out there with similar questions, who can get some value out of the thread. Honey roasted soybeans are my jam.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I just stop eating meat 4/25 and dariy on the 4/28 I need to know what food to eat. Help Help Pleaseeeee!
    If you're not a troll (which I doubt) Look at the UK Vegan society lots of great advice there. Use google you're on a computer and have access to all the information you need
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I need a big change in my life Vegetarian is something I been wanted to do for the last few years right now I just want to know what I can eat without eating animals or anything that comes for a animals if that's not a crime.... o:)

Non-poisonous things that aren't animals or come from animals, maybe? I really don't understand the question. Do you really not know what's a vegetable and what's an animal?
  • hershortness02
    hershortness02 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For a low calorie meal, I just had a cup of rice, a half a cup of radish kimchi (kinda high in sodium though) and some dry roasted and seasoned seaweed paper. Put some rice and kimchi in the small sheets and roll up to eat. Add some fresh fruit to your meal. If you don't like seaweed you could always substitute with leaf lettuce. So yummy!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vegetarian+recipes and then find something that tickles your fancy.
  • CoolCatWV
    CoolCatWV Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something hearty (fats, proteins), try an avocado. Make sure it's a little soft but not squishy before you open it.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is what it means to be vegan, lots of people are. I found a great site the other day with a ton of advice on how to cook vegetables:
    http://www.vegancoach.com
  • 12Ace12
    Options
    lautour wrote: »
    This is what it means to be vegan, lots of people are. I found a great site the other day with a ton of advice on how to cook vegetables:
    http://www.vegancoach.com

Thanks