Mother shamed for sending her child to school with oreos

Options

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    @3bambi3 It's the ingredients. Check 'em out sometime. You'd be surprised what is in it that are chemicals, additives, dyes, whatever. I'm talking about the things your body can't use or doesn't easily break down. To clarify, just because you can eat it, does not make it food. I hope this cleared up what I meant by that. There is a book you can check out that can explain this in depth! "If It's Not Food...Don't Eat It!" Check it out!

http://www.amazon.com/its-Food-Dont-Eating-Health/dp/097656680X

Not a chance. The woman who wrote that book seems to have zero qualifications to be giving out nutritional advice. She is a "certified nutritional consultant" whatever that means. And her previous career was as a chiropractic assistant.

And yes, I know what's in oreos. Fat, carbs, and a little bit of protein. Along with fiber, sugar, calcium and potassium. Please, tell me which chemicals in oreos your body "can't use" and what happens to these chemicals when you eat them. Also, fiber isn't easily broken down by the body, does that mean it isn't "food" and we shouldn't eat it?

Oreos are junk food. Nothing wrong with it in moderation. Me, I'd rather bake my own cookies where I control what goes in it than eat that crap. But again, to each their own.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/preschooler-gets-note-about-cookies-in-her-lunch

Who says a small snack of Oreo's is so unhealthy as part of a balanced lunch that included a sandwich and string cheese. Are we taking nutrition in schools too far?

Yes. We are taking it way too far.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    @3bambi3 It's the ingredients. Check 'em out sometime. You'd be surprised what is in it that are chemicals, additives, dyes, whatever. I'm talking about the things your body can't use or doesn't easily break down. To clarify, just because you can eat it, does not make it food. I hope this cleared up what I meant by that. There is a book you can check out that can explain this in depth! "If It's Not Food...Don't Eat It!" Check it out!

http://www.amazon.com/its-Food-Dont-Eating-Health/dp/097656680X

Not a chance. The woman who wrote that book seems to have zero qualifications to be giving out nutritional advice. She is a "certified nutritional consultant" whatever that means. And her previous career was as a chiropractic assistant.

And yes, I know what's in oreos. Fat, carbs, and a little bit of protein. Along with fiber, sugar, calcium and potassium. Please, tell me which chemicals in oreos your body "can't use" and what happens to these chemicals when you eat them. Also, fiber isn't easily broken down by the body, does that mean it isn't "food" and we shouldn't eat it?

Oreos are junk food. Nothing wrong with it in moderation. Me, I'd rather bake my own cookies where I control what goes in it than eat that crap. But again, to each their own.

A few Oreos with lunch would be moderation.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    emdeesea wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    This is a private school. Maybe it's part of their rules? If she doesn't like them, maybe send the child to a public school?

It may be a private school, but some of the students appear to be enrolled in the public school system? The article I linked said the public school system provides funds for some children to attend the preschool, which leads me to believe that the kids are enrolled in public school, but attend this school due to overflow/location/etc. I know when I was living in NC that the Head Start program was public, but was also held at private locations in addition to the public schools to keep up with the demand.

I wondered because I couldn't find anything regarding that fact. I went directly to the Academy web site because I was curious but don't see anything regarding their lunchtime rules. I don't know. I always wonder if people just get their panties in a twist because they don't like rules being applied to them or their kids.

I edited, apparently she is a public school student but attends the private school as part of the state's preschool option program. I've seen quotes from the public school system about the matter, so I think they may be the ones implementing the policy, not the school itself.

A note home is not shaming or berating or anything else. It is a reminder of the rules. The note is poorly written, but if those are the rules, then those are the rules. I'm sure a list of rules were provided at the beginning of the school year. My DD is in public school and they have similar rules about snacks and less strict rules for lunches, but they still have rules. If a child brings an unacceptable snack, say fruit snacks, they are not allowed to eat their snack but the teacher usually has alternatives to offer the child. This is for snack time. If a child brings a soda with their lunch, they are not allowed to consume it as it is against the rules.

Maybe this girl tried to eat the Oreos for the snack or maybe they really police the lunchroom this much, but if cookies are against the rules for snacks/lunches, then all students must be expected to abide by the rules. It is completely not fair to the other students for the school to allow one student to break the rules and not the others. If little Janie gets to eat Oreos today, then little Jonny and Jimmy will have them tomorrow and when does it stop? The child still had plenty of food to eat, it's not as if they were her entire lunch. Her mom made a poor decision and probably full well knew the rules and now she's getting her 15 minutes of fame over what should be a non-issue. If everyone who cried foul would stop getting media attention, you'd probably see a lot fewer people crying foul over ridiculousness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    I would have flexed, asked whoever gave the note to give me 10 burpees with good form and if they couldn't do it, I'd tell her my DD can do it easily, along with 10 real pushups while eating Oreos. What kids eat for a snack doesn't impact THE WHOLE DAY of whatever other meals they are eating.
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/preschooler-gets-note-about-cookies-in-her-lunch

Who says a small snack of Oreo's is so unhealthy as part of a balanced lunch that included a sandwich and string cheese. Are we taking nutrition in schools too far?

y6ylqv38j4a2.jpg

Okay this made me laugh out loud.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,500 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My kids frequently pack lunch and while they are no longer pre-schoolers, typically it consists of sandwich, yogurt or cheese, fruit, veg and one of: cookies(no more than 2)/granola bar/pretzels/trail mix.

Heck, my 12yo son packed all that, plus two slices of leftover pizza the other day, lol.

ETA: The poor kid is 5'8" and maybe 100lbs. I honestly would let him eat pretty much ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING at this point.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well I'm going to be judgy here and agree that it wasn't a healthy lunch, especially for a toddler. Not instilling good nutrition habits (and mom is obviously overweight) and dealing with toddlers after sugar rush ....not fun. But is it for the school to scold the parent...no.

My daughter takes a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, 2 Oreos, fruit snacks, carrots and ranch dressing, and two juice boxes everyday and some goldfish. Today I threw in a waffle from breakfast also. If only I would have had a McDonald's syrup package. ......

She will not eat the school lunches. Nasty.
    Eta she's 11. One level away from being in competitive gymnastics. In public school.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    This is a private school. Maybe it's part of their rules? If she doesn't like them, maybe send the child to a public school?

They were talking about this one the radio this morning and said it was a public school? ETA: just found another article and it sounds like the school IS part of the public school system- http://abc7.com/family/preschooler-not-allowed-to-eat-oreos-at-school/686900/ "A spokesperson for Aurora Public Schools said it's not typical for notes such as Pearson's to go home to parents."

When I heard this on the radio I actually snorted-the only choice for hot lunch today at my kid's public school (no cold lunch option), is Little Caeser's pizza.

• ginny92802
    ginny92802 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think people should be more concerned that the adults teaching your children can't seem to put together a note that makes any kind of logical sense. That would worry me more than an oreo.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Total overreaction. I frankly think that unless a kid being fed from home is showing signs of malnourishment or severe obesity (and no, I do not mean general chub), the school needs to butt out.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    ginny92802 wrote: »
    I think people should be more concerned that the adults teaching your children can't seem to put together a note that makes any kind of logical sense. That would worry me more than an oreo.
    +1

• TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    This type of thing (without the note home) has happened to my kids at school. Even Lunchables have a small chocolate or something inside of them, which the kids are told they can not eat. It very much so bothers me because I agree that everything is ok in moderation. Especially for small children who tend to be very active. If anything, this policy teaches children to sneak and to hide... because if they are told they can not have something they really want, they most likely are going to eat it anyway... behind the teacher/lunchperson/principals' back.

Of course, having a lunch consisting of ONLY junk food would be wrong in my opinion, but this situation, that was not the case.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Instead of debating the health merits of Oreos, why not address the fact that this woman chose not to follow the rules and now she's a media sl sensation. I'm sorry, she and her daughter are not special and don't get to do whatever they want. My first thought when I saw the article on Facebook this morning? My DD would be sent home to change if she wore a tank top like that little girl. Would that be body shaming? No, that would be expecting her to follow the school's dress code. No different.
  • AnotherXFitGuy
    AnotherXFitGuy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    didn't sound like there were any vegetables or fruit and no no for the oreos.

You better be careful. You'll get bashed the same as the mom did, but those who bash you will be "justified???". It seems many people on this site think there aren't more healthy options. But what amazes me is that most people are on this site due to bad dietary habits learned from childhood.

I agree that it isn't the school's right to "bash" a parent but it isn't anyone else's right to bash you for yours. And assuming this child "might" have had fruits and vegetables at another meal is just silly. Considering mom's physical condition, it's highly unlikely.

They imply that the dietary rules were in place at the school. As another poster said, if you don't like it, talk about it or go to another school.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    weird_me2 wrote: »
    Instead of debating the health merits of Oreos, why not address the fact that this woman chose not to follow the rules and now she's a media sl sensation. I'm sorry, she and her daughter are not special and don't get to do whatever they want. My first thought when I saw the article on Facebook this morning? My DD would be sent home to change if she wore a tank top like that little girl. Would that be body shaming? No, that would be expecting her to follow the school's dress code. No different.

I'm not saying the mother shouldn't abide by the rules, but the rules seem stupid and arbitrary. If you eat potatoes you have to eat bread with it. What? I haven't seen in the article (the one that I read) that the parents were given a food exclusion or inclusion list. Did they get one?
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    didn't sound like there were any vegetables or fruit and no no for the oreos.

You better be careful. You'll get bashed the same as the mom did, but those who bash you will be "justified???". It seems many people on this site think there aren't more healthy options. But what amazes me is that most people are on this site due to bad dietary habits learned from childhood.

I agree that it isn't the school's right to "bash" a parent but it isn't anyone else's right to bash you for yours. And assuming this child "might" have had fruits and vegetables at another meal is just silly. Considering mom's physical condition, it's highly unlikely.

They imply that the dietary rules were in place at the school. As another poster said, if you don't like it, talk about it or go to another school.

As a previous poster state, one article said that the mother had run out of fruit and veg and that's why she sent oreos.

Also, the assumption that the mother is overweight and therefore it is "highly unlikely" that she feeds her child fruits and veg is ridiculous and offensive.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ginny92802 wrote: »

Best post in the thread.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This should be titled: Mother was politely informed of private school policy.

I don't agree with the policy because I don't think an occasional cookie is unhealthy. However, they have a right to set the policy and this is not shaming.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Personally, I agree. I have 3 kids. I see the way my 5 and 3 year olds react to things like Oreos. I wouldn't want to teach a class of 30 kids who had just eaten that. Plus, do they need a sandwich, cheese and cookies? My son took packed lunch last year and had a sandwich and a yogurt, and he generally couldn't finish it, and he's a tall, active boy.

I'm glad we have a healthy schools policy in England.