Thinking about Alli.. Any success stories out there?

Options

Replies

• DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I had a very close friend who used it and lost more than 100 lbs in a month.

Every time we made plans to hang out, I'd be stuck holding down our brunch table by myself, or browsing for men's athletic shoes at the store beside the alley where the mall bathrooms were, or chilling at a picnic table outside the concert venue.

She'd be making repeated trips to the restroom or port-a-john.

I finally got tired of waiting around on her greasy bowels and asked if we could not make plans while she was on the medicine. She got pissed at my "lack of support" and told me to lose her number.

She was instantly 109 lbs and one iPhone contact lighter. So... I guess it works?

lol! Best success story ever!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    jhs4bama79 wrote: »
    I have seen some horror stories on similar blogs, and yikes!! It is scary. But the only allure for me is its the only FDA appd weight loss drug out there. But the unfortunate "side effect" is the only thing that has kept me from purchasing it. Just wanted to see if anyone had real life stories that have actually taken it to see if it is or isn't as bad as I've heard. TIA!!

To avoid the side effect at all costs...don't eat anything with fat in it. Then the drug won't have any fat to "block." It's a waste of money to buy a drug, and then modify your behavior to prevent the drug from doing it's job.

It depends. If using it for a few months helps you to permanently modify your eating habits, then the drug did what it was supposed to. It is difficult to change eating habits. If fear of negative side effects helps somebody to do that, that could be a good thing. You just need to understand what the drug does and not take it if you are not ready to modify your behavior.

But - a non fat diet is a terrible idea unless you have a medical condition that requires low fat.

Dietary fat is not the enemy.

The drug does not require a NON fat diet, just a low fat diet. I ate fat when I tried it and never had a single negative side effect...because I wasn't eating HIGH levels of fat.

Besides, if a lot of the fat you are eating are unhealthy types, then those should be cut back. And if the reason you are overweight is that you eat a lot of junk food and find it hard to kick the habit, the drug could help give you a little extra help in doing that since much junk food is high fat.

If you have salmon for dinner (which is a fatty fish) with two or three servings of vegetables, this drug is NOT going to cause you any problems. If you have a fatty main course (salmon, burger, or whatever), paired with high fat french fries, and high fat ice cream for dessert...yeah, you probably are going to have some issues.
  • Bemix
    Bemix Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I that the stuff that makes you terrified to fart or even bend over? Just from smelling fatty foods? :smiley:

If so I recommend burning it with fire.

Why would you punish yourself twice. Eat something slightly fatty so you feel a little bad then BAM your walking down the street like it's covered in ice, but instead of ice it's fat from the food you ate a few hours ago running down your leg and covering your shoes.
    I'm dead from laughing so hard. OMG lolol
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I took it back in 2006 because I wanted an extra boost to my already-decent weight loss. I eventually realized it was silly because my diet was so low in fat anyway. Personally, I never had issues with leakage, but when I went to the bathroom, even just to pee, I always "went" a little, and what came out was pretty gross (sorry to be TMI, but oily and especially smelly. I can't imagine what it would have looked like if I had eaten anything with a reasonable amount of fat in it. After a couple of weeks, I put it away and forgot about it until I moved a couple of years later, at which point I threw it out.

My recommendation is to eat foods with fat because they're good and satiating, plus your body needs you to consume fat. Don't take a pill that's going to make you poop it out at the worst possible time. Stick to eating at a deficit. Most of us here have done that long-term with good results and no bad side effects.

TL;DR I took it for whatever reason when I was on a low-fat diet and still experienced the icky side effects. I shudder to think of what those side effects would have been like it I weren't on a low-fat diet.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

Every time we made plans to hang out, I'd be stuck holding down our brunch table by myself, or browsing for men's athletic shoes at the store beside the alley where the mall bathrooms were, or chilling at a picnic table outside the concert venue.

I finally got tired of waiting around on her greasy bowels and asked if we could not make plans while she was on the medicine. She got pissed at my "lack of support" and told me to lose her number.

She was instantly 109 lbs and one iPhone contact lighter. So... I guess it works?

Holy crap (no pun intended), 109 lbs in a month! Wow. It sounds like she wasn't digesting anything, never mind fat.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread I am SOOO glad I didn't have a weak moment and buy that Alli starter kit at Costco a couple years go. This pill is wicked :#
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    amy8400 wrote: »
    After reading this thread I am SOOO glad I didn't have a weak moment and buy that Alli starter kit at Costco a couple years go. This pill is wicked :#

I wish I didn't buy it, but it was such a good deal. Needless to say, I had a lot of weak moments, or rather, my sphincter did...
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    RBXChas wrote: »

Holy crap (no pun intended), 109 lbs in a month! Wow. It sounds like she wasn't digesting anything, never mind fat.

That was a 109 lb friend lost thanks to Alli!
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Oh man, What a great thread for a laugh. I'm still laughing at some of these comments! Don't know what Alli is but I sure the hell won't be buying it.ever.

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I considered it a couple years ago until a co-worker told me to only take it on days off and stay close to a toilet. She ended up having to leave work when she tried it because of the constant poo sprints to the toilet and eventually she just stank and needed a shower.

:s
  • Newsordova
    Newsordova Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    jhs4bama79 wrote: »
    I have seen some horror stories on similar blogs, and yikes!! It is scary. But the only allure for me is its the only FDA appd weight loss drug out there. But the unfortunate "side effect" is the only thing that has kept me from purchasing it. Just wanted to see if anyone had real life stories that have actually taken it to see if it is or isn't as bad as I've heard. TIA!!

Don't look for a silver bullet. Lose your weight naturally, they way it showed up.

You don't see many FDA approved drugs that promise to increase your body fat, so why should there be one to shed it?

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Man...I'm not sure why anyone would want this. I have had IBS, some malabsorbtion issues, gallbladder out and then side effects from fats etc. I'm overweight, but the diet I was on (not fodmap as I am now) caused THESE exact side effects. Running to the loo constantly...bile acid...I mean, totally unpleasant and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. The anxiety you have is horrible....the cramps, the embarrassment of an urgent need for toilet...frick...do not do it to yourself. You will regret it..
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    I'm sorry, Christine. But this was all I could think of....

dVjJTt5.gif

you evil wench :laugh: :laugh:

But yeah that pretty much sums it up :open_mouth:

LOL @_skim you're not the first person who has said this to me after telling my lovely story :blush:

@christinev297 I pictured it more like this:
    de38pghrf9t8.gif

Yes! That's more like it. Thanks @lilaclovebird :flushed: now everyone has a picture to go with my story :laugh:

• ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bears are delicious, a hell of a lot cheaper than Alli, and have the very same side effects.

Just sayin'.

Someone posted about these on another thread and I went to Amazon to read the reviews.. oh boy! It was hilarious :lol: Reminded me of the time my friend told me she was eating these sugar free twizzlers and they were great for losing weight. ughhh... needless to say back then I was gullible enough to try. I ate 5 or 6 of them and spent 3 hours of my life that I'll never get back in the bathroom with diarrhea. If by losing weight she meant torture with a side effect of dehydration, then yeah, fun times!

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I actually bought some about five years ago. It sat in my medicine cabinet for a few years because I could never bring my self to actually use it lol. Now I am so glad I never did.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ndybabe wrote: »
    I've used alli in the past and if you eat more than the fat your body needs you'll have oily stools. If you don't you won't as simple as that.

If that were true we wouldn't have half of these amazing stories.
    If you all knew the best way you wouldn't be here.

For the most part, this is also wrong.
    Good luck to the brave.

5323440+_5cfac34e4064a05c2ce8be3a1b313d01.gif
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I just had the flu and couldn't stop pooping for 2 weeks.

I can't imagine doing that to myself on purpose.

Oh, God. Been there. Agony. Sickest I've ever been in my life. Never again, hopefully.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    All this talk of the 'side effects'. It's not a 'side effect'. It's the main effect. Making you poop out fat is the whole way the medication works. If it doesn't do that, it isn't working.