The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love it when overweight coworkers with a big plates full of fried food and a "salad" consisting of lettuce saturated in ranch dressing for lunch ask me if I'm really good to eat that bread on my sandwich and make a big show of amazement when I eat a ginger snap for dessert because, GASP, "carbs." I've lost over 100 lbs. You can't walk across the parking lot. Tell me again what I should be eating.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So not to be argumentative, but I think it's interesting that people seem to be thinking that we should EAT our sign (i.e., Pisces eats fish, Taurus eats beef). As a Sagittarius, I'm not really into this idea (although I guess it goes back to how as a Type B I should be drinking the kumis), but my initial assumption was that we would eat as our sign would eat.

Not that that helps me a lot! ;-)

How can I get a conclusive answer on this very important question?

Yeah...good luck finding a Centaur. I heard they're kind of chewy. So then based on your theory, you should eat...hay? Or, do Centaurs eat people food? lmao
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    @Alatariel75, I'm eating my cottage cheese with chopped veggies and sriracha right now.

OMG. I'm having a mouthgasm. Thank you for the idea.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    @Alatariel75, I'm eating my cottage cheese with chopped veggies and sriracha right now.

I too saw that suggestion and had ten light bulbs turn on in my head.
    I like cottage cheese.
    I like spicy.
    Y I no put 2 2together b4?!
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »

Has anyone disappeared from your office without explanation?

Well yes, now that you mention it...

(this thread has been a 2-day source of lol enjoyment for me...I hope it stays funny)

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I just did a little sloothing to see if I could find the "blood type diet" how it would relate to me. Type A's they say to become vegetarian. Seriously. No. Other than making me miserable, what on earth would that solve?

As a fellow type A, I disapprove as well.

Oh, whine, whine. As a Type B I'm apparently supposed to eat goat, drink kumis, and get all my exercise by riding 18 hours a day on the steppes. ;-) (This may also be what I'm supposed to do as a Sagittarius.)

Apparently Type Bs are basically Dothraki, for any Game of Thrones fans among us.

Dying laughing. this post is awesome
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    But my idiot co-worker saw me eating cheesecake and told me I should never eat carbs or sugar again or I would put all the weight I lost back on right away. Really? I'm going to gain 125+ lbs overnight from ONE piece of cheesecake?
    When I was in the hospital, my dad told me he didn't want to bring me cookies from the cafeteria because he didn't want let me get fat again. Admittedly, moderation wasn't a priority, but I wasn't under any dietary restrictions and in pretty crappy situation.

This comes from the same man that doesn't follow the dietary restrictions from his doctors and ended up making him throwing up recently because he's eating foods he shouldn't.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    alyci wrote: »
    I argued with a friend today who said I shouldn't have toast because carbs make you 'blow up and gain weight'.

I also feel the desire to throw something at another friend who is always 'Oh you can't have this you are on a diet' And refuses to believe I can eat whatever I want I just have to watch how much I eat. If I want that bowl of ice cream, either I eat a smaller dinner or I throw in an extra work out(or two).

BLOW UP? *takes toast away from husband* I don't want my man exploding! :open_mouth:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    So not to be argumentative, but I think it's interesting that people seem to be thinking that we should EAT our sign (i.e., Pisces eats fish, Taurus eats beef). As a Sagittarius, I'm not really into this idea (although I guess it goes back to how as a Type B I should be drinking the kumis), but my initial assumption was that we would eat as our sign would eat.

Not that that helps me a lot! ;-)

How can I get a conclusive answer on this very important question?

Yeah...good luck finding a Centaur. I heard they're kind of chewy. So then based on your theory, you should eat...hay? Or, do Centaurs eat people food? lmao

I would definitely lose weight that way, since virgins are hard to find these days.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I love it when overweight coworkers with a big plates full of fried food and a "salad" consisting of lettuce saturated in ranch dressing for lunch ask me if I'm really good to eat that bread on my sandwich and make a big show of amazement when I eat a ginger snap for dessert because, GASP, "carbs." I've lost over 100 lbs. You can't walk across the parking lot. Tell me again what I should be eating.

I love people with the "healthy" salads with candied nuts and 2 packets of fat-free salad dressing. If you look them up at the fast food website they have more calories than a small cheeseburger and tons of sugar.

• Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Lots of people eliminate carbs; that doesn't qualify as "broscience".

As my mother would say, "If your friends jumped off the High Level bridge, would you do it too?" Just because it's popular right now does not mean it's good science. Or even good. We have three macro-nutrients and many, many micro-nutrients. I won't find many people who would argue over the necessity of a micro-nutrient, say, Vitamin D. So why do people think that the answer to their diet woes is to eliminate an entire macro-nutrient?

Besides, chances are they'll get it wrong. They'll cut breads and pastas but keep eating yams and fruit. And wonder why their carb numbers are still so high.

When I was diabetic, a well-meaning bunkmate at a women's retreat brought me a big bag of "sugar free" candies. I took one look at the nutrition label and rejected them. First ingredient? Glucose. Her nose was seriously out of joint. Oh well. I wasn't going to flake out on a sugar high just so she wouldn't be offended in her ignorance.

Edmonton Proud!!! Well, Leduc proud, but close enough right?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    16 pages in and this thread is still pure gold.

I'm proud of you MFP!
    Options

As my mother would say, "If your friends jumped off the High Level bridge, would you do it too?" Just because it's popular right now does not mean it's good science. Or even good. We have three macro-nutrients and many, many micro-nutrients. I won't find many people who would argue over the necessity of a micro-nutrient, say, Vitamin D. So why do people think that the answer to their diet woes is to eliminate an entire macro-nutrient?

Besides, chances are they'll get it wrong. They'll cut breads and pastas but keep eating yams and fruit. And wonder why their carb numbers are still so high.

When I was diabetic, a well-meaning bunkmate at a women's retreat brought me a big bag of "sugar free" candies. I took one look at the nutrition label and rejected them. First ingredient? Glucose. Her nose was seriously out of joint. Oh well. I wasn't going to flake out on a sugar high just so she wouldn't be offended in her ignorance.

Leduc is perfectly acceptable.
    What I'm more curious about is where is the line when you stop being associated with Edmonton and start being associated with Calgary. Where is that line? LOL

• DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »

What I'm more curious about is where is the line when you stop being associated with Edmonton and start being associated with Calgary. Where is that line? LOL

Red Deer. It's the point where you get to pick any flight you want since YYC and YEG are the same distance.
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »

Red Deer. It's the point where you get to pick any flight you want since YYC and YEG are the same distance.

Huh. I learned something new today :smile:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Hmmm, I may have to pop down to the Asian grocery store (a mighty 3 min walk) for some sriracha!

I do a 50/50 mix of cottage cheese and avocado, with tabasco, lemon juice, garlic and sea salt. Om nom nom.
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just had to sit and suffer through overhearing a coworker go on, ad nauseam through my cubicle wall, how eating carbs after dinner will mean they don't get digested but get immediately turned into evil evil adipose! Apparently everything else if fine, just not doze evil carbz.

doctorwho_s04_e01_14.jpg

The evens that I can't = all of them

Sorry, just had to spread my misery. Anyone have any other overheard gems to share?

Adipose!
    Now I gotta be your friend cause you like Dr. Who lol
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Hmmm, I may have to pop down to the Asian grocery store (a mighty 3 min walk) for some sriracha!

I do a 50/50 mix of cottage cheese and avocado, with tabasco, lemon juice, garlic and sea salt. Om nom nom.

So out of nowhere recently I have gone off sriracha and on to tabasco. I used to pretty much gag from the vinegar and now I will just inhale it and sigh. Broscience that, people.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

So out of nowhere recently I have gone off sriracha and on to tabasco. I used to pretty much gag from the vinegar and now I will just inhale it and sigh. Broscience that, people.

You were born on a cusp and your moon is in retrograde?
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When I first started, my doctor's nurse asked me after my appointment how I had lost so much weight so fast (about 20 pounds in 6 weeks). I told her fewer calories, and more protein. And I was having scrambled egg whites with spinach for breakfast. The nurse reached over and closed the exam room door (for privacy), then proceeded to lecture me about how I should NEVER eat just the whites . . . there are proteins in the yolk that are required by your body to break down the white. Oh . . . and since I am also eating low-sodium, I should stay away from eggs altogether because there is a lot of salt in them. I asked her why the nutrition information says they don't have a lot of salt. She said the USDA lies . . .

I think she closed the exam room door so she could keep her job!!!