• xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • kayla_massa
    kayla_massa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

Yes...this. ^^^

What's your reason for not liking #4? My reply to him is that if diet is on point you don't need much cardio. You can add more, but it isn't necessarily helpful. All good programs should include some cardio. I also said that food logging should be accurate, but it isn't always and doing cardio can help make up for inaccuracy (like going out to eat, the dishes can vary up to 500 calories depending on restaurant).

You shouldn't like cardio

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

Yes...this. ^^^

What's your reason for not liking #4? My reply to him is that if diet is on point you don't need much cardio. You can add more, but it isn't necessarily helpful. All good programs should include some cardio. I also said that food logging should be accurate, but it isn't always and doing cardio can help make up for inaccuracy (like going out to eat, the dishes can vary up to 500 calories depending on restaurant).

You shouldn't like cardio

wut
  • raissikitten224
    raissikitten224 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do approximately 15 miles of cardio. A day, burning up to 3000 calories, depending on intensity. Why no more than one hour? I love cardio. Weight is falling off, I feel amazing, and totally happier.
  • raissikitten224
    raissikitten224 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do approximately 15 miles of cardio. A day, burning up to 3000 calories, depending on intensity. Why no more than one hour? I love cardio. Weight is falling off, I feel amazing, and totally happier.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

What in the heck are you doing to burn 3000 calories?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Great, but what does this have to do with crafting a nice stomach?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

The OP said she prefers about an hour a week, not that you should only do an hour a week. If you love it, do it. But also strength train.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

I guess, to prove there is lack of Reading Comprehension. I don't know I'm just guessing.
  • AndyMerrett
    AndyMerrett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

I guess, to prove there is lack of Reading Comprehension. I don't know I'm just guessing.

Maybe because if you have excess fat you are never going to have or see a flat stomach... this has nothing to do with a "lack of reading comprehension".
  • AndyMerrett
    AndyMerrett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

What in the heck are you doing to burn 3000 calories?

I'd be interested in that as well. I can't (OK, don't) even consume 3,000 calories per day, never mind burn them.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Maybe because if you have excess fat you are never going to have or see a flat stomach... this has nothing to do with a "lack of reading comprehension".

Let's go over again and my final response just so we stay on the topic of this thread
    Here is the logic why this could be a case of "lack of reading comprehension"

1) thread is about "So I want Nice stomach"

2) poster raissikitten224 comes in and declares they do 15 miles of cardio and ask the question why no more than one hour cardio. They also say "weight is falling off" but not once mention anything about "stomach fat"/ "abs".

3) poster lolbroscience comes in and wonders whatever poster raissikitten224 is doing how is that anywhere related to "nice stomach".

4) I read their comment and my logical brain starts thinking and my only assumption is poster raissikitten224 refused to read the context of this thread and jumped right in with - "I, Me, Myself"

5) You come and start talking about "flat stomach" but then you try to question my logical thinking.

B'coz this thread is about nice stomach and not about my logical analysis and neither about raissikitten224's 15 miles cardio I end this discussion right here.

BTW I could very well be wrong with my conclusion and my logic and that's were "bugs" are in technical world
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Having a flat stomach is partially due to having low body fat, but just as importantly due to having adequate lean mass. If someone is doing only cardio there's a good chance they are going to find that in the end they are missing the adequate lean mass part. That's why LolBroScience asked what burning 3000 calories per day had to do with having a nice stomach. It is completely unnecessary to do that much cardio and to a point it can be counter productive if that means they spend all their time doing cardio and do zero resistance training.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thank you usmcmp for your awesome advice and example - really. Can i ask a question about the TDEE calc and tracking here? It is confusing to me to track my exercise expenditure over and above what i meet as my stated activity level that is part of my TDEE calc. Expenditure just seems so variable where consumption is tracked so much more precisely (weighing & measuring). I know TDEE is just an estimate but do you get my angst? :-) I am thinking of setting my activity level as sedentary and then just eating back part of my exercise cals (more variability) and I have no idea how to report lifting cals. I do beginning level SL 5x5 which just isn't that strenuous right now. Anyway, "this" post is partially coming from a 2# gain from being on a trip and not eating/exercising optimally and part from trying to really understand this all better. :-)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Thank you usmcmp for your awesome advice and example - really. Can i ask a question about the TDEE calc and tracking here? It is confusing to me to track my exercise expenditure over and above what i meet as my stated activity level that is part of my TDEE calc. Expenditure just seems so variable where consumption is tracked so much more precisely (weighing & measuring). I know TDEE is just an estimate but do you get my angst? :-) I am thinking of setting my activity level as sedentary and then just eating back part of my exercise cals (more variability) and I have no idea how to report lifting cals. I do beginning level SL 5x5 which just isn't that strenuous right now. Anyway, "this" post is partially coming from a 2# gain from being on a trip and not eating/exercising optimally and part from trying to really understand this all better. :-)

Okay, so you're going to need to get over whatever happened on the trip. It's in the past and today is a new day.

Here's how the equation works: TDEE=BMR+NEAT+Exercise
    TDEE (total energy used in the entire 24 hours)
    BMR (energy used to pump blood, breathe, brain function, keep organs alive)
    NEAT (energy used cooking, working, cleaning, living our normal lives)
    Exercise (energy used while working out).

If you decide to use MFP's method they calculate your body's needs (BMR+NEAT) and subtract a set amount per day to give you a mathematical weight loss for the week (500 calories per day is 3500 per week or a pound of weight loss). They expect you to eat your exercise calories back since they do not add them into their equation and not eating them back would result in a larger deficit.

The method I use and suggested here is BMR+NEAT+Exercise. Then you subtract a certain percentage, not a set amount, to ensure you are getting adequate fuel.

If you have a fairly consistent schedule of activity and exercise for each week the TDEE method works very well. Your average TDEE for the week will be the same week after week and subtracting a certain percent gives you a constant intake for the week (rather than only getting 1300 calories on days you can't exercise). This method also keeps people from "double logging" their NEAT activity just to have extra calories (like logging house cleaning or daily dog walking). The TDEE method also gives you a higher intake, so you don't need cheat days and you can stick to the calorie goal every day without feeling deprived.

Make sense? Questions?
  • indianarose2
    Options

Okay, so you're going to need to get over whatever happened on the trip. It's in the past and today is a a new day.

If you have a fairly consistent schedule of activity and exercise for each week the TDEE method works very well. Your average TDEE for the week will be the same week after week and subtracting a certain percent gives you a constant intake for the week (rather than only getting 1300 calories on days you can't exercise). This method also keeps people from "double logging" their NEAT activity just to have extra calories (like logging house cleaning or daily dog walking). The TDEE method also gives you a higher intake, so you don't need cheat days and you can stick to the calorie goal every day without feeling deprived.

Make sense? Questions?

Thanks for the kick in the pants!
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Oh my gosh. I had more in my post and it just deleted it.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Here is the rest of my post!
    I guess I am just angry because I was doing really well (1#/wk avg) until these disruptions in my schedule and see more of the same on the horizon. There will be more travel and hosting out-of-town guests here. I love those things but what it does to my routines/intake/outcome is starting to take the joy out of it which makes me really sad.
    Yes!!The reasons you stated for using TDEE are exactly why I want to use it!
    The 2 calculations for "lightly active" give me TDEE-20% 1428 & 1531 which is an avg of 1480. So, set my intake as that and don't track exercise at all right? That does sound a lot let stressful. I am currently set with a 1330 intake and have a hard time sticking to that especially with lifting. I am constantly trying to balance my intake with my exercise output. Simple and increased intake is what I REALLY want to do. However, consistency of my schedule this Summer is part of what has me concerned about intake/reporting. On days/weeks that my workouts dont happen I just decrease intake by 100-200 cals?
    Thanks again for helping me and all the others here. You are a very generous woman and I truly appreciate your help! (flower for you but don't know how to do it on my laptop)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Here is the rest of my post!
    I guess I am just angry because I was doing really well (1#/wk avg) until these disruptions in my schedule and see more of the same on the horizon. There will be more travel and hosting out-of-town guests here. I love those things but what it does to my routines/intake/outcome is starting to take the joy out of it which makes me really sad.
    Yes!!The reasons you stated for using TDEE are exactly why I want to use it!
    The 2 calculations for "lightly active" give me TDEE-20% 1428 & 1531 which is an avg of 1480. So, set my intake as that and don't track exercise at all right? That does sound a lot let stressful. I am currently set with a 1330 intake and have a hard time sticking to that especially with lifting. I am constantly trying to balance my intake with my exercise output. Simple and increased intake is what I REALLY want to do. However, consistency of my schedule this Summer is part of what has me concerned about intake/reporting. On days/weeks that my workouts dont happen I just decrease intake by 100-200 cals?
    Thanks again for helping me and all the others here. You are a very generous woman and I truly appreciate your help! (flower for you but don't know how to do it on my laptop)

I would say you should set your calories to 1500 and don't count exercise calories (if you go for a very long hike or do something out of the ordinary that burns a lot you can count that). On days you don't workout you stay at 1500. If you have a week where you don't workout you can still stay at 1500. You may not lose as much that week, but you aren't going to make backwards progress and it could actually be helpful as far as hormones go.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Awesome!! FREEDOM!! I'll post back in a few weeks to let you know how it goes!!