So you want a nice stomach

Replies

• indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Thank you usmcmp for your awesome advice and example - really. Can i ask a question about the TDEE calc and tracking here? It is confusing to me to track my exercise expenditure over and above what i meet as my stated activity level that is part of my TDEE calc. Expenditure just seems so variable where consumption is tracked so much more precisely (weighing & measuring). I know TDEE is just an estimate but do you get my angst? :-) I am thinking of setting my activity level as sedentary and then just eating back part of my exercise cals (more variability) and I have no idea how to report lifting cals. I do beginning level SL 5x5 which just isn't that strenuous right now. Anyway, "this" post is partially coming from a 2# gain from being on a trip and not eating/exercising optimally and part from trying to really understand this all better. :-)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Thank you usmcmp for your awesome advice and example - really. Can i ask a question about the TDEE calc and tracking here? It is confusing to me to track my exercise expenditure over and above what i meet as my stated activity level that is part of my TDEE calc. Expenditure just seems so variable where consumption is tracked so much more precisely (weighing & measuring). I know TDEE is just an estimate but do you get my angst? :-) I am thinking of setting my activity level as sedentary and then just eating back part of my exercise cals (more variability) and I have no idea how to report lifting cals. I do beginning level SL 5x5 which just isn't that strenuous right now. Anyway, "this" post is partially coming from a 2# gain from being on a trip and not eating/exercising optimally and part from trying to really understand this all better. :-)

Okay, so you're going to need to get over whatever happened on the trip. It's in the past and today is a new day.

Here's how the equation works: TDEE=BMR+NEAT+Exercise
    TDEE (total energy used in the entire 24 hours)
    BMR (energy used to pump blood, breathe, brain function, keep organs alive)
    NEAT (energy used cooking, working, cleaning, living our normal lives)
    Exercise (energy used while working out).

If you decide to use MFP's method they calculate your body's needs (BMR+NEAT) and subtract a set amount per day to give you a mathematical weight loss for the week (500 calories per day is 3500 per week or a pound of weight loss). They expect you to eat your exercise calories back since they do not add them into their equation and not eating them back would result in a larger deficit.

The method I use and suggested here is BMR+NEAT+Exercise. Then you subtract a certain percentage, not a set amount, to ensure you are getting adequate fuel.

If you have a fairly consistent schedule of activity and exercise for each week the TDEE method works very well. Your average TDEE for the week will be the same week after week and subtracting a certain percent gives you a constant intake for the week (rather than only getting 1300 calories on days you can't exercise). This method also keeps people from "double logging" their NEAT activity just to have extra calories (like logging house cleaning or daily dog walking). The TDEE method also gives you a higher intake, so you don't need cheat days and you can stick to the calorie goal every day without feeling deprived.

Make sense? Questions?
  • indianarose2
    usmcmp wrote: »

Okay, so you're going to need to get over whatever happened on the trip. It's in the past and today is a a new day.

If you have a fairly consistent schedule of activity and exercise for each week the TDEE method works very well. Your average TDEE for the week will be the same week after week and subtracting a certain percent gives you a constant intake for the week (rather than only getting 1300 calories on days you can't exercise). This method also keeps people from "double logging" their NEAT activity just to have extra calories (like logging house cleaning or daily dog walking). The TDEE method also gives you a higher intake, so you don't need cheat days and you can stick to the calorie goal every day without feeling deprived.

Make sense? Questions?

Thanks for the kick in the pants!
  • indianarose2
    Oh my gosh. I had more in my post and it just deleted it.
  • indianarose2
    Here is the rest of my post!
    I guess I am just angry because I was doing really well (1#/wk avg) until these disruptions in my schedule and see more of the same on the horizon. There will be more travel and hosting out-of-town guests here. I love those things but what it does to my routines/intake/outcome is starting to take the joy out of it which makes me really sad.
    Yes!!The reasons you stated for using TDEE are exactly why I want to use it!
    The 2 calculations for "lightly active" give me TDEE-20% 1428 & 1531 which is an avg of 1480. So, set my intake as that and don't track exercise at all right? That does sound a lot let stressful. I am currently set with a 1330 intake and have a hard time sticking to that especially with lifting. I am constantly trying to balance my intake with my exercise output. Simple and increased intake is what I REALLY want to do. However, consistency of my schedule this Summer is part of what has me concerned about intake/reporting. On days/weeks that my workouts dont happen I just decrease intake by 100-200 cals?
    Thanks again for helping me and all the others here. You are a very generous woman and I truly appreciate your help! (flower for you but don't know how to do it on my laptop)
  • usmcmp
    Here is the rest of my post!
    I guess I am just angry because I was doing really well (1#/wk avg) until these disruptions in my schedule and see more of the same on the horizon. There will be more travel and hosting out-of-town guests here. I love those things but what it does to my routines/intake/outcome is starting to take the joy out of it which makes me really sad.
    Yes!!The reasons you stated for using TDEE are exactly why I want to use it!
    The 2 calculations for "lightly active" give me TDEE-20% 1428 & 1531 which is an avg of 1480. So, set my intake as that and don't track exercise at all right? That does sound a lot let stressful. I am currently set with a 1330 intake and have a hard time sticking to that especially with lifting. I am constantly trying to balance my intake with my exercise output. Simple and increased intake is what I REALLY want to do. However, consistency of my schedule this Summer is part of what has me concerned about intake/reporting. On days/weeks that my workouts dont happen I just decrease intake by 100-200 cals?
    Thanks again for helping me and all the others here. You are a very generous woman and I truly appreciate your help! (flower for you but don't know how to do it on my laptop)

I would say you should set your calories to 1500 and don't count exercise calories (if you go for a very long hike or do something out of the ordinary that burns a lot you can count that). On days you don't workout you stay at 1500. If you have a week where you don't workout you can still stay at 1500. You may not lose as much that week, but you aren't going to make backwards progress and it could actually be helpful as far as hormones go.
  • indianarose2
    Awesome!! FREEDOM!! I'll post back in a few weeks to let you know how it goes!!
  • itsmeGennie
    itsmeGennie Posts: 39 Member
    @prettywingss04 You should start at the very first post.
    • You can not spot reduce - meaning if your stomach/abs/middle is protruding because of fat there, you would have to lose overall fat on your body because your body doesn't discriminate. It just burns the nearest fat cell. Blame your mom for the distribution of fat cells.
    • You can make your middle "tighter" and more firm by doing core exercises and have a strong core BUT if you have a layer of fat over your muscles, then you probably won't see your work
    • How long have you been eating clean and exercising? What kind of exercising do you do? If you want to maintain your proportion as you have it, start weight training 3x/wk and do a little cardio to burn some fat
    • How many calories do you eat now? If you want to maintain your weight, then no you shouldn't cut your calories but if you want to take my advice in the first bullet point, I would do a deficit of 20% and start from there
    • How have you been eating clean if you don't know how much you eat? Clean eating is not only the actual things you eat but also your portions. You should figure that out ASAP. Use a food scale to figure out a meal plan to reach your calorie goal. Make sure your protein is spread out over the day (have some at every meal
    • You should take body measurements - get a measuring tape and take measurements of waist, hips and each thigh. I wouldn't use the scale because they are all liars. You ThiNK you haven't seen results but it's because you havent been paying attention. If you lost an inch, it'd be hard to see with the naked eye. Get an objective view.
    • Also, take pictures to see progress but take them every 2 weeks. in 4 weeks being consistent, you should see visible results.

hth
  • Sandra_Curtis
    Sandra_Curtis Posts: 21 Member
    edited May 2015
    Bump. Gotta keep track of this thread!
  • mohnishsolanki
    mohnishsolanki Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2015
    Will 150 push ups daily and 40 sun salutation daily help to reduce belly fat....????

Also maintaining diet.....!!!!
  • usmcmp
    Will 150 push ups daily and 40 sun salutation daily help to reduce belly fat....????

Diet is how you lose weight. Just doing push ups and sun salutations is not going to do a whole lot for muscle retention. Look into full body, body weight workouts. I know that both the exercises you mentioned are workouts, but you're still not going to be working all muscle groups well.
  • YvonneLyzette
    YvonneLyzette Posts: 5 Member
    A change is good. So im looking foward to this and a new healthier me ! :)
  • mohnishsolanki
    mohnishsolanki Posts: 2 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »

Diet is how you lose weight. Just doing push ups and sun salutations is not going to do a whole lot for muscle retention. Look into full body, body weight workouts. I know that both the exercises you mentioned are workouts, but you're still not going to be working all muscle groups well.

Thank you.... Will keep in mind
  • prettywingss04
    prettywingss04 Posts: 29 Member
    @prettywingss04 You should start at the very first post.
    • You can not spot reduce - meaning if your stomach/abs/middle is protruding because of fat there, you would have to lose overall fat on your body because your body doesn't discriminate. It just burns the nearest fat cell. Blame your mom for the distribution of fat cells.
    • You can make your middle "tighter" and more firm by doing core exercises and have a strong core BUT if you have a layer of fat over your muscles, then you probably won't see your work
    • How long have you been eating clean and exercising? What kind of exercising do you do? If you want to maintain your proportion as you have it, start weight training 3x/wk and do a little cardio to burn some fat
    • How many calories do you eat now? If you want to maintain your weight, then no you shouldn't cut your calories but if you want to take my advice in the first bullet point, I would do a deficit of 20% and start from there
    • How have you been eating clean if you don't know how much you eat? Clean eating is not only the actual things you eat but also your portions. You should figure that out ASAP. Use a food scale to figure out a meal plan to reach your calorie goal. Make sure your protein is spread out over the day (have some at every meal
    • You should take body measurements - get a measuring tape and take measurements of waist, hips and each thigh. I wouldn't use the scale because they are all liars. You ThiNK you haven't seen results but it's because you havent been paying attention. If you lost an inch, it'd be hard to see with the naked eye. Get an objective view.
    • Also, take pictures to see progress but take them every 2 weeks. in 4 weeks being consistent, you should see visible results.

hth

Hey, thanks so much for the response ! Im just now noticing the little notification alert, didn't realize there was one . :blush:
    Im aware i can't spot reduce so for now I've picked up a goal of trying to loose about 10 pounds. Its really not much, but I guess because its so small it doesn't seem like much is changing. I was exercising for about 4 months before this. Most was weight training for my legs and a little upper body. I saw change in my legs quickly, they are much more firm and "toned" which was what i was looking for but there was no change whatsoever in my stomach area. I averaged about an hour or so of cardio a week, though i don't know if i should change that?
    When I mentioned clean eating, I was referring to whole, nutritious foods, this was prior to MFP, therefore, prior to actually weighing foods. Since I've joined, I have been measuring which I think is helping :)
    Im doing a deficit which puts me at about 1800 calories a day, and I'm comfortable with it so just waiting to see some change.
    And yea, I'll be taking some pictures:) I actually think i won't be weighing myself, maybe once a month and take it from there.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Hahaha i read "Stomach" as "Sandwich", clicked immediately and became disappointed when i re read and saw "stomach"

hehe
  • Fitlifestyle4life
    Fitlifestyle4life Posts: 53 Member
    Hey guys this was a great thread. I'm trying to lose weight. Trying to get lean and ripped. So the abs can pop and the muscle show more. It would be great if the lady that wrote this thread would reply buy anyone I want help. And if I'm losing weight can I build muscle? I want to get shredded! Please help?
  • chaos2k
    chaos2k Posts: 33 Member
    Thanks for the tips! by the way can I split my cardio in to 10 mins a day? I cant't do full out 30 mins yet.....

My doctor told me 3 19 minute walks are just as good as 1 30 minute.

You will build up fast. A month ago I was barely doing 10 min. Now im up to 30 in the morning and maybe a 10 min in the evening.
  • chaos2k
    chaos2k Posts: 33 Member
    Supposed to be 3 10 minutes. Not sure how to edit post on here
  • governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    I don't really agree with the general look of this.

Assuming you are an average person with an average weight;
    I'd focus mostly on muscle building.
    Calorie deficit? That's not going to help you building those muscles, in contrary.

What's working for me is HIIT with a focus on strength and stability.
    Combined with the NEEDED caloric intake (Check out the Harris–Benedict equation) or even higher.
    Have regular meals, your caloric intake evenly spread throughout the day in 5 meals.
    Your metabolism will be soaring up.

The logic behind it is to build muscle.
    To increase muscle, you need to feed them so they can recover and build up.
    More muscle means more energy burn, in action and in rest.

Getting a ripped stomach is all about losing body fat.
    And the most efficient way for you to do so is by strengthening or increasing your muscles.
    An energy deficit will not work in your advantage, in contrary.

My experience, my opinion.
  • syw7071
    syw7071 Posts: 7 Member
    I dig it too. Thanks!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited May 2015

Calorie deficit? That's not going to help you building those muscles, in contrary.

Combined with the NEEDED caloric intake (Check out the Harris–Benedict equation) or even higher.
    Have regular meals, your caloric intake evenly spread throughout the day in 5 meals.

And the most efficient way for you to do so is by strengthening or increasing your muscles.

So... basically... you didn't read the OP.

Not to mention... the vast majority on this site are looking to lose weight because they are overweight, or are unhappy with their current weight/physique. So, yes... a calorie deficit would be needed. You appear to be far from overweight.
  • nealsland
    nealsland Posts: 18 Member
    Love #2. Knowing your talking about core, I often read from dieticians that sit ups do nothing for mid section fat and one of them just the other day said DON'T DO THEM! I'm not arguing that it does burn fat but when I do them it makes me hold my stomach in which provides better posture. It makes me feel better about my self and is encouraging.
  • tschulz12
    tschulz12 Posts: 2 Member

2. Strength training. If you want that toned mid section look you have to put some muscle there. If you just want a nice flat stomach muscle will still help it look tight. You can begin with Strong Lifts, a hypertrophy routine or a strength program from bodybuilding.com (free!). One that includes compound lifts like deadlift, squat, bench press and pull ups will help. Work on increasing the amount of weight you use. When the weight gets heavier you engage your core more and it builds the muscle.

I want to expand on this. It seems some people, especially young women with very little muscle, might even need to go on a bulk to get a "six-pack". They just don't have big enough muscles. They'd have to get dangerously lean for them to show. The better way would be to gain weight (including fat and muscle, but hopefully mostly muscle), then try again to lose the fat and reveal the new pretty muscles.

• tschulz12
    tschulz12 Posts: 2 Member
    Be very careful with that concept. Yo-yo dieting can create a nightmare for trying to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    tschulz12 wrote: »
    Be very careful with that concept. Yo-yo dieting can create a nightmare for trying to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight

Bulking and cutting is not really yo-yo dieting
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Since when do you lose bodyfat by eating more? Something is very wrong in your thinking there.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited May 2015

@governatorkp Did you actually read the OP? And you say that being in a deficit isn't going to help build muscle...are you taking into account noob gains as well as recomping? And just because you say logic doesn't make it so.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    tschulz12 wrote: »

Bulking and cutting is not really yo-yo dieting

^Agreed
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Hi, @usmcmp

Quick question. I'm trying a recomp right now and while I never did much direct ab work in a deficit, I'm wondering if I might add a bit in now? I don't really like doing ab work so I'm kind of just hoping that I'll get a nice little result from my compound lifts-but maybe not. Thoughts?
  • usmcmp
    arditarose wrote: »
    Hi, @usmcmp

Quick question. I'm trying a recomp right now and while I never did much direct ab work in a deficit, I'm wondering if I might add a bit in now? I don't really like doing ab work so I'm kind of just hoping that I'll get a nice little result from my compound lifts-but maybe not. Thoughts?

@arditarose From the look of it you have a solid foundation for your core that has come from compound lift. Compound lifts will help maintain that foundation, but by now you probably notice that there are areas that lag a bit (my obliques suck). At this point is where I would add in more isolation work for the core.